Michigan State c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i've gotten nothing from them since they emailed me to let me know they got my CASPR stuff...
Same!

Members don't see this ad.

I know Michigan said we'd hear back in November, but it's November now! Anyone heard anything? :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was December? But maybe that's when they do the sessions and invites are November
Yes, that's what I remember too. We are invited to the session in November (which is a good sign) and the sessions are December.

I thought it was December? But maybe that's when they do the sessions and invites are November
I know Michigan said we'd hear back in November, but it's November now! Anyone heard anything? :)
Last year we got our virtual webinar invites on November 25th and the actual webinar was on December 3rd. Insert nail biting emoji 😹

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back from Michigan State regarding the "virtual reception" ?

First time OOS applicant here. Haven't received anything else besides the initial email about the virtual reception notification sometime this month. I looked at last cycle's thread and it looks like IS received the reception notifications Nov 25 with IS rejections a few days later. OOS hear back about invites and rejections Dec 18

Did anyone receive an email on Nov 1st about a DVM Info Session? The link brought me to my MSU portal... I thought this was an email to everyone. I might be wrong.

Did anyone receive an email on Nov 1st about a DVM Info Session? The link brought me to my MSU portal... I thought this was an email to everyone. I might be wrong.
Hey there! I recieved this email you speak of on nov 1st from the email I used last year to sign up for an info session about what they require for applying. I did not receive this message with the email I used on vmcas. I think maybe you signed up for one of their info sessions in the past or they are trying to get you to subscribe to it now! Either way I don’t think it’s related to admission invitations! I fear we have quite the wait still for that email! 💔

Hey there! I recieved this email you speak of on nov 1st from the email I used last year to sign up for an info session about what they require for applying. I did not receive this message with the email I used on vmcas. I think maybe you signed up for one of their info sessions in the past or they are trying to get you to subscribe to it now! Either way I don’t think it’s related to admission invitations! I fear we have quite the wait still for that email! 💔
I did not get one, but I did search on their website and there’s a thing about signing up for information sessions so I agree you may have signed up for that in the past!! I think people said that invitation thing comes closer to the end of November

Reactions: 1 users
Starting this for all my MSU 2026 hopefuls! I’m a 2nd time IS, non traditional applicant(32yo with 2 kids—shoutout to all the moms and dads out there!) I can’t wait to meet everyone! Let the waiting game begin, we’ve got this!! 🤪🐾
Hi there! First time applicant IS. Has anyone been invited to the virtual reception/informational session yet? They said they were going to start sending invitations out in November.

Hi there! First time applicant IS. Has anyone been invited to the virtual reception/informational session yet? They said they were going to start sending invitations out in November.
Last year, the virtual reception invites were sent out on the 25th of November. Without going into too much detail, it sounds like the virtual reception dates are being held a bit later this year, so invites might also be a bit later— but hopefully soon!!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, the virtual reception invites were sent out on the 25th of November. Without going into too much detail, it sounds like the virtual reception dates are being held a bit later this year, so invites might also be a bit later— but hopefully soon!!
I don't think anyone here will mind if you go into "too much" detail!! - Sincerely, someone losing her mind:rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Just got my IS webinar invite, check your emails!!

If anyone is wondering if Michigan has started sending out rejections the answer is a depressing yes. I was just informed I'm no longer being considered :( Sad day for me, I really wanted to go to Michigan, I have family there.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
OOS applicant here -- haven't heard anything yet. Currently frantically checking my email every other hour LOL

If anyone is wondering if Michigan has started sending out rejections the answer is a depressing yes. I was just informed I'm no longer being considered :( Sad day for me, I really wanted to go to Michigan, I have family there.
Got my rejection too. Really disappointed, this was my second year as an IS applicant and I felt pretty good about my app :( good luck to all who got through!

• Care
congratulations! did they say when the webinar is or if they mentioned anything for OOS?

Webinar for IS is December 10. I believe that the OOS invites last cycle went out the first week of December!

I don't think anyone here will mind if you go into "too much" detail!! - Sincerely, someone losing her mind:rofl:
I knew the dates of the webinars and didn’t feel it was my place to disclose them— hence the vagueness 😬

And for those OOS people, you should hear in a few weeks or so (early December?). MSU always reaches out to IS first.

To those IS people, congrats! I’m IS for MSU, so if you have any questions, feel free to reach out! :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
OOS rejected :(

The email says I didn't meet the minimum GPA requirements... is that the standard email they send to everyone? Bc I'm fairly certain I met them. Chin up everyone <3

• Care
@Snowwolf22 How are you liking the new curriculum at MSU? It seems really interesting to have much shorter classes for individual body systems but I also feel like it would get kind of overwhelming having final exams every few weeks.

OOS rejected :(

The email says I didn't meet the minimum GPA requirements... is that the standard email they send to everyone? Bc I'm fairly certain I met them. Chin up everyone <3
I think it's a standard saying that your GPA was on the low side. I got the same and I can tell you with certainty I met the minimum.

• Care
I think it's a standard saying that your GPA was on the low side. I got the same and I can tell you with certainty I met the minimum.
Sorry Blackcat, I feel exactly how you do right now. We got this though, there are other schools we both may hear from! It's still early in the cycle.

• Care
I wish they would reword that then, I thought once you met the minimum your GPA was no longer considered and it was just the rest of your app? Unless they had a higher cutoff or I misunderstood?
Sorry Blackcat, I feel exactly how you do right now. We got this though, there are other schools we both may hear from! It's still early in the cycle.
Thanks! For sure, I applied to a bunch so there's still lots to be hopeful about :)

I got my invitation and I am over the moon! I was insecure about my application. Very.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
IS just received my invitation! Good luck to all of you!:D

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
@Snowwolf22 How are you liking the new curriculum at MSU? It seems really interesting to have much shorter classes for individual body systems but I also feel like it would get kind of overwhelming having final exams every few weeks.

I actually really like it! It's nice that we focus on one system at a time versus balancing multiple systems through the whole year. It is a lot of information in a short amount of time, which can be a bit of an adjustment, but the instructors are all super great at helping you understand things and putting everything together for the big picture. Having shorter classes has allowed us to have more immersive labs as well with live animals and cadavers! I feel like I definitely retain information better focusing on one subject versus having to flip-flop between different systems.

We do have an exam roughly every week-- whether that's a midterm or a final-- and yeah, it initially sounds overwhelming, but it's really not as bad as it sounds (we actually have a cardiovascular final on Friday that I may be semi-procrastinating on studying for 😅). The finals are semi-cumulative, but mostly include material from the last half of the class. Material is pulled from each day's learning objectives, which helps you narrow down what information to study and focus on-- and since you only have one systems class at a time, you don't have to worry about studying for multiple subjects nor do you risk having multiple exams in one week.

I actually really like it! It's nice that we focus on one system at a time versus balancing multiple systems through the whole year. It is a lot of information in a short amount of time, which can be a bit of an adjustment, but the instructors are all super great at helping you understand things and putting everything together for the big picture. Having shorter classes has allowed us to have more immersive labs as well with live animals and cadavers! I feel like I definitely retain information better focusing on one subject versus having to flip-flop between different systems.

We do have an exam roughly every week-- whether that's a midterm or a final-- and yeah, it initially sounds overwhelming, but it's really not as bad as it sounds (we actually have a cardiovascular final on Friday that I may be semi-procrastinating on studying for 😅). The finals are semi-cumulative, but mostly include material from the last half of the class. Material is pulled from each day's learning objectives, which helps you narrow down what information to study and focus on-- and since you only have one systems class at a time, you don't have to worry about studying for multiple subjects nor do you risk having multiple exams in one week.
That's interesting about the labs! It seems like a cool change from the traditional curriculum style. Thanks for the info and good luck on your cardio final :)

Current first year here! Last year we also had no interviews, just the CASPer score. They invited IS and OOS students to a virtual webinar (one for IS and one for OOS) and those invited were technically the ones being “interviewed”, as those invited were invited based on their file review and not CASPer scores, which were then looked at after. Everyone invited to the webinar was subsequently waitlisted or accepted. IS heard at the end of November for invites to this webinar, and this was when rejections went out too, and OOS heard a few weeks later. The webinars happened in December/January, and then all IS/OOS heard back about acceptances/waitlist mid-February!
The email I received mentioned that it was based on my Caspr score and file review. So what I'm understanding is that they pretty much have decided who is on the wait list and who is accepted? Or is there any benefit the the applicant to attend the information sessions and ask questions? I mean I am definitely attending I guess I just wanted to know what to expect.

What do you recommend for preparing for the reception?

The email I received mentioned that it was based on my Caspr score and file review. So what I'm understanding is that they pretty much have decided who is on the wait list and who is accepted? Or is there any benefit the the applicant to attend the information sessions and ask questions? I mean I am definitely attending I guess I just wanted to know what to expect.

What do you recommend for preparing for the reception?

The reception has no bearing on your application, correct! At this point in time, those invited are waitlisted or accepted, but as far as I know, final decisions have not been made yet! From what I gathered based on last year, the admissions committee will now look at your CASPer scores and from there decisions will stem. They ask that everyone who applied take and send their CASPer scores just so they had everything if you were invited to the webinar to save some time.

The reception webinar last year was very laid back. They had the dean talk, some instructors to give a rundown of the curriculum, financial aide, and they ended with a current student panel. You can ask questions, so the only preparing you really need to do is just bring any questions you may have! Otherwise, it's super chill and I wouldn't be nervous! Congrats to those invited!

• Care
For all my OOS people, I just got an email stating that I passed the academic requirements and i’m being moved onto file review for the selection process! It also said I can look forward to hearing from them in December!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
For all my OOS people, I just got an email stating that I passed the academic requirements and i’m being moved onto file review for the selection process! It also said I can look forward to hearing from them in December!
Also OOS and got this!

Got an email too and I am OOS that I have been moved to file review. I believe that every one who had a >3.0 last 3 semester GPA and >3.0 for the science pre-reqs made it to the file review for OOS and that we will be hearing about the virtual reception in December!

OOS and also received the email that I moved on. Anybody know the specifics of the cutoff or was it just the 3.0 prereq GPA?

I also got the OOS notification of meeting the minimum GPA requirement. I think they need to reword it honestly. I don't imagine everyone rejected had below a 3.0.

IS rejection. Mine had no reasoning and my GPA was well above the cut off. Super bummed as I was invited and waitlisted last year and not only felt more confident about my profile but I had gained quite a few experiences.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
IS rejection. Mine had no reasoning and my GPA was well above the cut off. Super bummed as I was invited and waitlisted last year and not only felt more confident about my profile but I had gained quite a few experiences.
Mine had no reasoning as well — which makes it even more difficult moving forward as they don’t do file reviews :(

• Care
Mine had no reasoning as well — which makes it even more difficult moving forward as they don’t do file reviews :(
I know it sucks not having answers, especially when they don't od file reviews, but usually they use a point system overall so if you didn't get GPA as a reasoning, it may just be a general "low" score if that makes sense and not necessarily one specific reason, if that makes sense?

so there aren’t any MMI’s? The website says they’ll hold a panel, anyone know what that entails?

That too sucks. Just makes me question the whole process after 2 cycles. I am hopeful of other schools that I have yet to hear from. If you applied other places, good luck and if not for next year!! :)

so there aren’t any MMI’s? The website says they’ll hold a panel, anyone know what that entails?
Nope, no MMI’s! Just the CASPer. The panels they’ll be hosting with be faculty lead as well as student lead. The panels are to give you more information the school, answer any questions you may have, and help you make the best informed decision you can if offered admissions!

Nope, no MMI’s! Just the CASPer. The panels they’ll be hosting with be faculty lead as well as student lead. The panels are to give you more information the school, answer any questions you may have, and help you make the best informed decision you can if offered admissions!
Regarding the panel: Do you remember what day/time it was? I feel like a lot of schools that do information session things schedule them during normal work hours and usually not enough notice to get off!

Also OOS and got the email I met the minimum requirements. I’m assuming that was the only eliminating factor for OOS. Does anyone know if that is correct?

I got rejected too :( second time OOS applicant and my GPA increased significantly since last year so I'm a bit confused to how my GPA was still below the minimum requirements... Good luck to everyone still being considered!!