Mercer Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Be proud of yourselves guys who got accepted.

I have 4.0/4.0 General&Science GPA, and 95% PCAT, some pharmacy

experience, but I am still waitlisted..:mad:

Although I kindda screwed up when I was talking to Dr. Bartling, it is

frustrating. Apparently, interview is very important at Mercer.

[FONT=맑은 고딕].

Members don't see this ad.

[FONT=맑은 고딕].

How did you "kinda screw up"?

I got accepted! Yay! They called me yesterday at around 1:30pm (southern calif.) while I was studying for my P.Chem final :laugh: So happy! I interviewed on Oct. 24th, then I got waitlisted, and finally got admitted :love::love::love: Goodluck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)

howd you find out you were waitlisted?

Hi all,

I'm an out-of-state. I just submitted my PharmCAS on 12/1 since my recommender took forever to write me the letter :mad:. I'm planning on finishing the supplemental app this weekend. What are my chances? Is it too late? Does anyone know how full the class is?

Thanks!!

Don't stress about it. I didn't finish my application until the end of Dec. and interview until mid-February, and I know there were at least 4 people from my group who got in because we all showed up in August. There are at least 10 more interview dates (can't remember the exact number), because they will interview all the way into April.

How did you "kinda screw up"?

He asked me if I have any question for him, and I had no questions to ask since it was 5mins before the interview ended and asked all the questions during the interview process. While I was trying to think about any other question, the 30s silence was like 30 hours to me.

He asked me if I have any question for him, and I had no questions to ask since it was 5mins before the interview ended and asked all the questions during the interview process. While I was trying to think about any other question, the 30s silence was like 30 hours to me.

Unlike my interview. My interviewer and I still had a lot of things to exchange when the time was up, besides there were a couple of her students came (i guess they had appointment with her or something), so we had to stop talking... But it turned out good. I got in!

Yeah, I did the same exact thing. I had just asked somebody else a question, turned around and BOOM Dr. Bartling was like "do you have any questions?" I kinda made up for it by asking him about the joint program in an email a couple days later.

deleted

Last edited:
even though you just got done with questions, you should've still asked something. keep his interest in your interest.

Unlike my interview. My interviewer and I still had a lot of things to exchange when the time was up, besides there were a couple of her students came (i guess they had appointment with her or something), so we had to stop talking... But it turned out good. I got in!

Yeah, you might wanna get rid of that statement if you wanna go to Mercer. I think the admissions committee from schools look on this website.
:idea:

Anyone else get an interview invite for January 16th? It was a happy email dance for me!

Can anyone tell me the non-resident tuition rates for Pharm. D. students.

Also, will they offer resident tuition fees after a yeaR?

Members don't see this ad :)
DUh to myself... I guess I was fooled by it's really really inexpensive tuition fee compared to private schools in California. Are non-residence fees N/A in all private schools? Is Nova Southeastern a private school? Do they have a non-resident fee?

Geez... I'm soo torn. I don't know which pharmacy school to choose. Help anyone?

Last edited:
I got a relatively thick envelope from Mercer today.....

It was a nice calendar :laugh:

DUh to myself... I guess I was fooled by it's really really inexpensive tuition fee compared to private schools in California. Are non-residence fees N/A in all private schools? Is Nova Southeastern a private school? Do they have a non-resident fee?

Geez... I'm soo torn. I don't know which pharmacy school to choose. Help anyone?

I know you are from California, but I would look more seriously into going to Mercer. After going to ASHP many residency coordinators informed me they are one of the best in clinical pharmacy. Nova is a good school, but not well known outside of Florida. Mercer just opened the Center for Clinical Outcomes and Education which will bring in additional research dollars and increase their national ranking. Check out http://cophs.mercer.edu/research.htm

There are two faculty members currently who have a very large portion of their time devoted to the Research center (Dr. Dye and Dr. Vandenberg). I will say that, as a current student, I don't yet see a lot of what they are doing clinically being interwoven into the basic curriculum. However, if you have a particular interest in research or clinical projects, then there are lots of opportunities through your elective classes, part-time job, summer internships, etc. to pursue those interests.

Did anyone who sent their application in Dec receive an interview invite from Mercer yet? They said that we will hear from them in two or three weeks, and I think it's been three weeks already!! I'm getting nervous. I hope there are still interview slots open.

Did anyone who sent their application in Dec receive an interview invite from Mercer yet? They said that we will hear from them in two or three weeks, and I think it's been three weeks already!! I'm getting nervous. I hope there are still interview slots open.

Fear not - there are interview dates all the way through April.

I think it varies from person to person. It's based on what you are looking for in a school (tuition cost, city, distance from home, etc.) Most people would choose their in-state school, but I love Mercer more than my own which happens to be a top ten in the nation. :D:D:D Are you from Cincinnati?
no i'm a georgia native but i got an interview invite from there and i'm just debating if i should go to that interview since i've already been accepted at mercer.

no i'm a georgia native but i got an interview invite from there and i'm just debating if i should go to that interview since i've already been accepted at mercer.

Well I'm from Ohio (Columbus area) and I applied to Mercer and OSU. I was only going to apply to UC if I didn't get into Mercer, my #1 choice. The two schools are completely different. UC is a state school so it's on a big campus and probably much cheaper (at least after you establish recidency in Ohio, in your case). It's not ranked in the top 30, but not sure if you care about that. It is FREEZING in Ohio in the winter and we get plenty of snow. In my opinion, there is nothing to do in Cinncy and it seems kind of dirty. I don't know anything about the curriculm but I thought I would give you a little insight on a few other factors.

Anyone else getting excited for Friday's interview date? I was getting excited for some warmer weather (I'm in Chicago now with a foot of snow on the ground) but apparently its supposed to be pretty chilly Thursday/Friday in Atlanta. Can't wait to interview and finally see the campus!

Well I'm from Ohio (Columbus area) and I applied to Mercer and OSU. I was only going to apply to UC if I didn't get into Mercer, my #1 choice. The two schools are completely different. UC is a state school so it's on a big campus and probably much cheaper (at least after you establish recidency in Ohio, in your case). It's not ranked in the top 30, but not sure if you care about that. It is FREEZING in Ohio in the winter and we get plenty of snow. In my opinion, there is nothing to do in Cinncy and it seems kind of dirty. I don't know anything about the curriculm but I thought I would give you a little insight on a few other factors.
last i looked mercer and UC were ranked the same. i think i'm staying in ATL though.

I just got back from my interview, and you were all right in saying the school is incredible, and you really receive a warm welcome. I hope I get a phone call in the next few weeks! :xf:

I'm interviewing with them this next week. Do you have any tips for me? Anything that was surprising about the university or its interview process?

I'm interviewing with them this next week. Do you have any tips for me? Anything that was surprising about the university or its interview process?
big bird is going to jump out in his yellow suit and offer you fried turkey wings. Don't say no!:smuggrin:

I grew up in Columbus and I can tell you that the Cinci area is much nicer than Columbus. There is just as much to do in a smaller area. UC isn't a "big campus" by any means. The entire school could almost be put in the oval. The campus area isn't any worse than OSU is if you go south or east from the gateway.

Got an invite for 2/13!!:D

Hey guys, would those who have interviewed already be able to tell me about what time they were done with the whole process? I am in the process of booking a flight (had to reschedule interview for 2/13) and I would like to know if a 7:15 pm return flight seems reasonable. Thanks for all of the help!

Adam Sanders

Hey guys, would those who have interviewed already be able to tell me about what time they were done with the whole process? I am in the process of booking a flight (had to reschedule interview for 2/13) and I would like to know if a 7:15 pm return flight seems reasonable. Thanks for all of the help!

Adam Sanders
I think a 7:15 flight would be fine. I think people were done around 3:30-4 p.m. at the latest. Good luck with your interview!

Adam Sanders

You should be good with a 7:15 flight. I left Mercer around 4:15, which put me at the airport around 5. The drive is relatively short. If you get back by 5, you will definitely have enough time to get through security and such. They have a very well-organized security system there, so it took me about 10 minutes to get through security. I'd say I was at my gate by 6. Long story short, you should be good :)

Hey guys I have an interview in feb. and im just wondering if I should go bc my stats seem kind of low. My pcat is 74 composite with 3.51 gpa 9with 2.5 years of pharmacy tech experience and lots of extracirriculars and volunteer service.) I have heard they usually don't accept people with those low stats but I'm just wondering. Any input would be great! Thanks.

Hey guys I have an interview in feb. and im just wondering if I should go bc my stats seem kind of low. My pcat is 74 composite with 3.51 gpa 9with 2.5 years of pharmacy tech experience and lots of extracirriculars and volunteer service.) I have heard they usually don't accept people with those low stats but I'm just wondering. Any input would be great! Thanks.
i don't think they would waste their time and ask you to interview if they didn't think you were worthy of their school. the average gpas of people accepted are just that- averages. some people will have higher, some will have lower.
good luck. be confident.

I agree with the last post. Mercer takes their interviews very seriously and into large consideration when accepting. Even if you have "low" stats, maybe something in your personal statement jumped out at them and they want you :)

The committee meeting is tomorrow.

If you get a call, you are in.

If you don't, your are either put on hold or rejected :D

The committee meeting is tomorrow.

If you get a call, you are in.

If you don't, your are either put on hold or rejected :D

Ya, I took out my notes that I took down from the interview and saw that I had written "Admissions Committee meets February 3rd." Does that mean that they will call tomorrow, though? Or should we just expect to hear something by the end of the week if we are in?

Ya, I took out my notes that I took down from the interview and saw that I had written "Admissions Committee meets February 3rd." Does that mean that they will call tomorrow, though? Or should we just expect to hear something by the end of the week if we are in?

They will call all the acceptees tomorrow, so keep an eye on your phone!

They will call all the acceptees tomorrow, so keep an eye on your phone!

Boo I really wish I hadn't read this thread this morning! I'm going to freak out every time the phone rings today. And then freak out when if it never does!:xf:

Boo I really wish I hadn't read this thread this morning! I'm going to freak out every time the phone rings today. And then freak out when if it never does!:xf:

They probably give calls between 4~5pm

You are over the average GPA and just slightly under the average PCAT (at least what it was for my class). Please take the interview unless you really think you wouldn't come to Atlanta if you were accepted - your stats are not bad at all.

I'm hoping I get a call, but something tells me I'm going to have to wait. Pharmcas hasn't finished my academic update yet and I did well last semester! I called them about it and they said they need pharmcas update, but in some cases, it doesn't matter.

Did anybody get a call today?:confused:

I did not receive a call today. It seems surprising that no one on SDN heard back today. You would think at least one person around here got accepted! Perhaps they did not call all of the acceptees today?

Just trying to be optimistic here :luck:

Last edited:
I didn't get a call either, but that may be due to them waiting on academic update. Did everybody else have their academic update submitted by Pharmcas to Mercer? Anybody get a call?

I got the impression from my interview last week that they were going to review applications 2/3 then contact people "sometime during the week"...they didn't say that they were gonna contact people on the same day....so don't lose hope!!! :).

I got the impression from my interview last week that they were going to review applications 2/3 then contact people "sometime during the week"...they didn't say that they were gonna contact people on the same day....so don't lose hope!!! :).
As fas as I know, they traditionally gave calls on the same day so far.
I wish you are right.