Mercer Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just declined my offer from Mercer. Good Luck to everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when Mercer is going to start calling people again?
Gosh, I cant wait to finally know.

Does anyone know when Mercer is going to start calling people again?
Gosh, I cant wait to finally know.

May 5th is the big day for everyone...either in or out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my cancellation notice today, so one more seat is now open. I really liked Mercer, but I couldn't refuse the cheap tuition of a state school. I liked the idea of block scheduling and the overall professionalism of the school. It was a difficult decision.

Mercer is a great school but go to UGA.. I had the exact same dilemma and regret the decision. You don't want >$100,000 with the uncertain future of pharmacy profession and job market..

May 5th is the big day for everyone...either in or out.
Oh, I thought they made the final choices last fri. So probably no call tomorrow huh? Thanks for the input, oh im nervous!

Oh, I thought they made the final choices last fri. So probably no call tomorrow huh? Thanks for the input, oh im nervous!

Hi. I interviewed on Friday and they told us that we will hear something by this friday. Hope that helps.

Hi. I interviewed on Friday and they told us that we will hear something by this friday. Hope that helps.

hmmm....I interviewed on april 20th and they told me May 5th (TOMMORROW) is the big day, not Friday. :confused:

they usually have their committee meetings on a thursday/friday. idk lol

hmmm....I interviewed on april 20th and they told me May 5th (TOMMORROW) is the big day, not Friday. :confused:

Sorry for the confusion. They will meet tommorow to make decisions but expect something from them by Friday ie; waitlist, rejection....

Ok Thanks!! I guess they will start making acceptance calls tomorrow......... I cant wait to finally know something.

Hey Everyone, I think Mercer did make the big decision today. I got a call at around 3:53pm today...unfortunately I was at work till 5:30pm today and therefore I totally MISSED the call...but the voice mail told me that Mercer Committee did meet today and that they wanted me to call them back as soon as possible. I wish they will just tell me if I am accepted or not but I guess I will have to call them tommorrow to know for sure if I am in or not. Good luck to everyone and congrats to everyone that got accepted today. :)

Sorry for the confusion. They will meet tommorow to make decisions but expect something from them by Friday ie; waitlist, rejection....

Definitely Today...I got my call...ACCEPTED... Good luck everyone!!!:laugh:

SHC1984, when did you interview??

Definitely Today...I got my call...ACCEPTED... Good luck everyone!!!:laugh:

SHC1984, when did you interview??

I interview there on April 20th. I got a call today as well from 6785476180, but I missed it and they left a message wanting me to call them back. I REALLY hope its an acceptance...I mean if its a rejection they should have just send an email. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just call them. I am ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!! :banana::biglove:

Do you guys think that not having been called yet is bad news?

I wouldn't worry until Friday. They are still accepting people up till Friday I believe. :)

I wouldn't worry until Friday. They are still accepting people up till Friday I believe. :)
Thanks!
I feel like I am going to spontaneously combust!:)
Congratulations on Mercer!!! It is an amazing school.

Just call them. I am ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!! :banana::biglove:

Congrats! Weren't you planning on waiting till next year to apply? That's pretty cool that you got in this year. Im sure you will choose Mercer, what an awesome school.

Congrats! Weren't you planning on waiting till next year to apply? That's pretty cool that you got in this year. Im sure you will choose Mercer, what an awesome school.

I was going to wait until next year b/c I missed the deadline for UNC which is my state school...however I didn't want to sit around and WASTE another year of my life so I decided to apply LAST minute and GOT ACCEPTED! I am most likely going to choose Mercer but South is only three years!!! thats the only thing thats kinda holding me back a bit.

i'm a little surprised at the number of people being accepted. It seems like a lot of people are in.

I hate to be the pessimist, but im in the same boat as you. I would guess that the only reason we haven't heard anything yet is because they send out final rejection letters through regular mail, and they just havent reached our houses yet. But for the sake of both of us, i really really hope im wrong....in the words of the immortal steve perry, dont stop believing.

i'm a little surprised at the number of people being accepted. It seems like a lot of people are in.
Mercer accepted 285 people for the 147 spots last year. Lots of people drop the school when they get in somewhere else.

They also accepted 2 people with less than 2.74 GPA and 22 people total with less than 2.99 GPA.

I hate to be the pessimist, but im in the same boat as you. I would guess that the only reason we haven't heard anything yet is because they send out final rejection letters through regular mail, and they just havent reached our houses yet. But for the sake of both of us, i really really hope im wrong....in the words of the immortal steve perry, dont stop believing.

I think your right, but also I think some people who are getting accepted now are still choosing other schools therefore giving up their spots hopefully to us.
I wish I could just call and ask, but I don't want to look impatient.
Last I heard from the admissions committee is that they will be in touch in May, so I assume we should at least know something this month, even if its being place on another waitlist. but yes.. definitely don't stop believing:)

I just received my letter, I am on the alternate list. Does anyone know any stats on how many ppl get off the list?
I wonder if the alternate has fewer people than the waitlist or if everyone waitlisted who didn't get accepted is automatically placed on the alternate list?
more waiting......and hoping.... and waiting..... and checking the phone.... and waiting.....

Mercer accepted 285 people for the 147 spots last year. Lots of people drop the school when they get in somewhere else.

They also accepted 2 people with less than 2.74 GPA and 22 people total with less than 2.99 GPA.

The ONLY reason why anyone would drop Mercer is b/c they got into their state school and its cheaper...Its such a nice school. :thumbup:

Where do you get your information?

Is the $5000 scholarship for people having a GPA of 3.75 or above only for first year students? or is it for all four years as long as your GPA stays at 3.75 or up?

Is the $5000 scholarship for people having a GPA of 3.75 or above only for first year students? or is it for all four years as long as your GPA stays at 3.75 or up?

My paper said you would receive comparable scholarships as long as your GPA stays high. It didn't specify that it had to be 3.75 though.

Could you post some more details?? I had heard that there was going to be some increases in the merit scholarships, but haven't heard anything official from the school yet. Merit in the past has been $3,000 per year.

How it has worked in the last couple of years - the first year there has been a large group of 1st year students awarded a merit scholarship based on past grades, etc. (my entering year you also had to write an essay - not sure if they are still doing that). After P1 year grades are in, then the top 10 students in each class got the merit scholarship, and the ones right below (not sure what percentage) got dean's scholarships. Also, in the P2 class generally there are more than 10 students who get the merit scholarship, because in the past there have been more than 10 students coming out of the P1 year with a 4.0, so obviously they all get the same scholarship. There are also a number of other scholarships for various things that get awarded primarily to rising P2 and P3 students.

Could you post some more details?? I had heard that there was going to be some increases in the merit scholarships, but haven't heard anything official from the school yet. Merit in the past has been $3,000 per year.

How it has worked in the last couple of years - the first year there has been a large group of 1st year students awarded a merit scholarship based on past grades, etc. (my entering year you also had to write an essay - not sure if they are still doing that). After P1 year grades are in, then the top 10 students in each class got the merit scholarship, and the ones right below (not sure what percentage) got dean's scholarships. Also, in the P2 class generally there are more than 10 students who get the merit scholarship, because in the past there have been more than 10 students coming out of the P1 year with a 4.0, so obviously they all get the same scholarship. There are also a number of other scholarships for various things that get awarded primarily to rising P2 and P3 students.

My financial aid paper calls it a Dean's Scholarship. Its for $5000 dollars and its for students that have an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.75 or above. I got $5000 dollars b/c my GPA was above a 3.75. There was no essay required, it was just the GPA requirement I believe.

Okay now questions for you. How much is the Merit Scholarship? How much is the Dean's Scholarship? How much $$$ does the top 10% get? Whats the MOST in scholarship money you have heard of someone getting? I am just curious about the later years. How about P4?

Anybody know anything about Mercer's Dean and Merit scholarships?? please share! thanks. :)

My financial aid paper calls it a Dean's Scholarship. Its for $5000 dollars and its for students that have an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.75 or above. I got $5000 dollars b/c my GPA was above a 3.75. There was no essay required, it was just the GPA requirement I believe.

Okay now questions for you. How much is the Merit Scholarship? How much is the Dean's Scholarship? How much $$$ does the top 10% get? Whats the MOST in scholarship money you have heard of someone getting? I am just curious about the later years. How about P4?

Hmm - will be interesting to see if they increase the others as well. The merit has in the past been $2,000 after the P1 year - not sure about the dean's because I haven't had one of those. After the 1st year it's the top 10students for merit, not the top 10%, just to clarify.

I don't know a total figure for scholarships for anybody except myself, but just from inspecting the program from honors and awards day, I would suspect that the most for one student would be somewhere in the range of $4-5K per year (not semester). So, in other words, nice to have and a good token of appreciation for those who keep good grades, but not enough to significantly impact the total tuition bill. The student handbook lists quite a few scholarships, not all of which are based on grades - it looks to me like those are almost all given to P2 and P3 students. I didn't see from the program much in the way of scholarship money to P4s unless they were in that top 10 of their class.

Hope that's helpful.

Hmm - will be interesting to see if they increase the others as well. The merit has in the past been $2,000 after the P1 year - not sure about the dean's because I haven't had one of those. After the 1st year it's the top 10students for merit, not the top 10%, just to clarify.

I don't know a total figure for scholarships for anybody except myself, but just from inspecting the program from honors and awards day, I would suspect that the most for one student would be somewhere in the range of $4-5K per year (not semester). So, in other words, nice to have and a good token of appreciation for those who keep good grades, but not enough to significantly impact the total tuition bill. The student handbook lists quite a few scholarships, not all of which are based on grades - it looks to me like those are almost all given to P2 and P3 students. I didn't see from the program much in the way of scholarship money to P4s unless they were in that top 10 of their class.

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks that helps alot. I meant $5000 dollars for a entire year as well. I guess I better be in the top 10 then! :laugh: $5000 dollars a year is enough to motivate me to stay in top 10. :D

Where do you get the student handbook? You get it AFTER you get accepted right? or after school starts?