Mercer Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's cool, I can handle it. Are you a current pharmacy student? If so, will any of you be at the pre-orientation event so that we will be able to meet some of the P1s, P2s, P3s?

All the students get invited to the picnic portion of the day, and the student organizations will have booths set up, so there will be a lot of opportunities to meet current students if you want.

Members don't see this ad.

has mercer sent out all of the invitation invites that they are going to send?

All the students get invited to the picnic portion of the day, and the student organizations will have booths set up, so there will be a lot of opportunities to meet current students if you want.

Sounds great, thanks for the info! I booked my flights to attend the event so I hope to meet many of you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
When does the application period for Fall 2009 end? I want to figure out how much time I'll have for the Fall 2010 application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchIoda
Can anyone comment on Mercer's (or Stetson's) connections to
the CDC,
Emory,
Science Oriented Solutions,
and / or
The Medical Affairs Company?

I know Mercer sponsors a Drug Info residency w/ Solvay but can anyone comment on ANY of Mercer's other outside connections for rotations and / or future job opportunities? Thanks!

I've tried several times to ask this question but I received no response (both from this forum and from Mercer faculty). I guess Mercer is really only good for retail pharmacy (and maybe some clin. pharm here and there). It's a shame its pharmacy students can't utilize all available resources.
:thumbdown::(:thumbdown:

Quote:
the CDC,
Emory,
and / or

I've tried several times to ask this question but I received no response (both from this forum and from Mercer faculty). I guess Mercer is really only good for retail pharmacy (and maybe some clin. pharm here and there). It's a shame its pharmacy students can't utilize all available resources.

At the interview session, if you ask about where potential rotations occur, they ALWAYS mention the CDC. Mercer has amazing connections to all of the major hospitals, organizations and government agencies located in Atlanta. That is part of the beauty of a school that has been ingrained in the community for so long. They have been offereing rotations at the CDC for 10 years now. If you go to the Mercer website and just search those various agencies, you can see that. As only a future student, I don't know the details, but I know when I spoke to faculty and staff there, they don't simply have a retail mindset.

Quote:
the CDC,
Emory,
and / or

I have no idea where you are making these assumptions from. Mercer has rotations with Emory, CDC, Medical Affiars (industry). I was told that at my interview.

Quote:
the CDC,
Emory,
and / or

Well - I didn't respond before because you appeared to want very much specifics - but here's what I know.

I've never heard of companies #3 and 4. I don't personally have an interest in research, so I don't know what connections they might or might not have to Emory and CDC. There are certainly multiple rotations available at Emory and at CHOA - Egleston, and I know we have at least one faculty member whose primary clinical site is Emory University Hospital.

We also have an on-campus clinical research facility, and two faculty members whose primary work is with that. The head of the clinical side of the faculty also has extensive experience in the research side of things, primarily psychiatric. And, we also have pharmaceutical faculty who are conducting more primary-type research - I have several friends who have done either a research elective class or summer internship experience with those faculty.

Mercer also has very close ties with Solvay Pharmaceutical in Marietta - they have numerous rotations and also offer paid internships for several students every summer.

So, that's just the things I know about from my friends - but the bottom line is that clinical and research experiences are, in my opinion, easy to get involved with at Mercer if you are so inclined. As I'm sure you know, we also have a joint PharmD/PhD program for those few students who are really hard-core for pure science research.

I'm not sure who you contacted on the faculty or what your status is (applicant, accepted, or what), but I am sorry that you didn't get a good response. In general I have found faculty at Mercer to be very responsive to students. PM me if I can answer anything further.

I wonder if anyone know how deep they go into the waitlist?

This weekend I went to Savannah with my boyfriend. His father is a pastor and he introduced me to a couple at church that went to Mercer. They are in their 30's, I would guess, and they opened their own independent pharmacy on Skidaway Island. They said they loved Mercer and it gave them a lot of opportunities. They said they also liked it since they didn't spread the classes throughout the entire day, it's either morning or in the afternoon so you have time to study or do whatever. It was really nice to hear such positive comments from successful alumni. I'm very excited to be going to Mercer!:)

I hope I get pulled from the waitlist soon for Mercer. I really would love to go there. I've been accepted to three schools, but not the one I want! =(

has mercer sent out all of the invitation invites that they are going to send?

I just got an interview invite this morning for April 24th, so that would be a no. Wow, that's pretty late, but then again, it's always great to recieve and invitation. Might just go to check out the campus and see how it is over there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to the picnic on the 17th. My pharmacist (Mercer graduate) said I should definitely go check it out.

Anyone else attending?

I'm going to the picnic on the 17th. My pharmacist (Mercer graduate) said I should definitely go check it out.

Anyone else attending?

Yes. I think I'm going to go. I still haven't made up my mind on where to go for pharmacy school though. The two other pharmacy school I'm thinking about also have an event that same exact date, which sucks. But I'm leaning towards Mercer though.

I'm not going next week. I'd like to, but the logistics just won't work out. I hope you all have a great time though!

Go to Mercer!!! Metro Atlanta is the shiz. Athens get pretty boring unless you like clubbing, boozing, and more clubbing.

I think i'm going to go to the mercer picnic and use that as my final decision maker. I won't tell them i'm in between 2 though.

UGA and Mercer are two totally different environments. Choose the environment that best suits you. I just had to make this decision recently. I got accepted to several school. I didn't want a big college campus like Auburn. And usually these big college campus are located in small cities that has nothing to do, except drink at bars, haha. I really like the seclusion of Mercer. It's really nice and quite. Not only that, it's in Atlanta. Hope to see you at Mercer though! I'll see ya at the picnic.

I'm getting nervous about picnic lol, i'm kind of expecting it to be another interview...

I'm getting nervous about picnic lol, i'm kind of expecting it to be another interview...

you were already accepted and it isn't mandatory, right? Nothing to worry about, just have fun and meet some future classmates and teachers!

So for those who went, how was the picnic?

I'm in Ohio preparing for finals and graduation so I could not make it. What did I miss?

how long did it take to hear a reply back from mercer after the interview?

They told us the next date in which there were going to be evaluating acceptances (a Friday I believe) and I received a call the following Monday. Very quick response.

at the picnic he said they're having interviews until May 1st and then they'll have another board meeting, which is when they elect people.

picnic wasn't bad, listened to everything we've heard 10x before, then ate some burgers and looked at groups. not too bad.

does anyone know how many people are currently wait listed? i heard the class seats are pretty much filled. the chances seem rather slim after interviewing...

Wow. I can't believe I got a call for an interview today. I am scheduled for an interview on May 1st! I'm not expecting much because it's the last interview for the Class of 2013. Wish me Luck!

Just gave up my seat. Good luck!

at the picnic he said they're having interviews until May 1st and then they'll have another board meeting, which is when they elect people.

picnic wasn't bad, listened to everything we've heard 10x before, then ate some burgers and looked at groups. not too bad.

So are you going to UGA or Mercer? I just finish my interview at Mercer and LOVED it...LOVE the MBA/PharmD degree...LOVE the school and the name etc...will most likely pick Mercer over South now. I LOVE MERCER PHARM!!

hey, yea i pretty much felt kick ass after mercer interview, i liked the school, but i think i'm going to uga. :/ lol. They're both terrific schools though and it was not an easy decision.

hey, yea i pretty much felt kick ass after mercer interview, i liked the school, but i think i'm going to uga. :/ lol. They're both terrific schools though and it was not an easy decision.

I can't blame you...UGA is a really cheap school...I doubt anyone would turn down such a good deal. Good luck! :)

I can't blame you...UGA is a really cheap school...I doubt anyone would turn down such a good deal. Good luck! :)

So are you going to UGA or Mercer? I just finish my interview at Mercer and LOVED it...LOVE the MBA/PharmD degree...LOVE the school and the name etc...will most likely pick Mercer over South now. I LOVE MERCER PHARM!!

Yeah, Mercer has an awesome interview session. I really like the block scheduling they use, I am sure it makes studying a little easier. I did think it was a little weird though that every exam you take there is all multiple choice. Think that is to prepare you for the NAPLEX?

I sent my cancellation notice today, so one more seat is now open. I really liked Mercer, but I couldn't refuse the cheap tuition of a state school. I liked the idea of block scheduling and the overall professionalism of the school. It was a difficult decision.

Yeah, Mercer has an awesome interview session. I really like the block scheduling they use, I am sure it makes studying a little easier. I did think it was a little weird though that every exam you take there is all multiple choice. Think that is to prepare you for the NAPLEX?

what is block scheduling?? how does it make studying easier???

All multiple choice???? GREAT!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I hate writing essays with a passion! LOL...does that mean there are NO papers at Mercer? if thats the case then I will go to Mercer FOR SURE if I get accepted. :laugh:

what is block scheduling?? how does it make studying easier???

All multiple choice???? GREAT!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I hate writing essays with a passion! LOL...does that mean there are NO papers at Mercer? if thats the case then I will go to Mercer FOR SURE if I get accepted. :laugh:

No - sorry - you'll still have to write some at Mercer! How much is somewhat dependent on what elective classes you take in P2 and P3 year, but there will be some writing involved. However, most of it is not long papers - the longest thing I've done here was around 10 pages, and that was a group project so I didn't have to write it all myself.

However, the vast majority of testing at Mercer is multiple choice, and yes - I think part of that is to prepare you for the boards. Another is that the class size here is larger than a lot of pharmacy schools, so logistically it would be more difficult for profs to grade 148 essay tests quickly.

If you want, pm me and I'll explain the block to you in detail.

Wow. I can't believe I got a call for an interview today. I am scheduled for an interview on May 1st! I'm not expecting much because it's the last interview for the Class of 2013. Wish me Luck!

I heard there are still seats left in the class, since they don't finalize the class until that last admissions meeting and they also create an alternate list that they use throughout the summer (most schools do that). Those interviewees on May 1 should have just as much chance as the ones who interviewed earlier.

Good luck with your interview!

I heard there are still seats left in the class, since they don't finalize the class until that last admissions meeting and they also create an alternate list that they use throughout the summer (most schools do that). Those interviewees on May 1 should have just as much chance as the ones who interviewed earlier.

Good luck with your interview!

Thanks! I've been accepted to Belmont already as well as put my money down but I want to see if Mercer has more to offer. I don't know much about their program...

No - sorry - you'll still have to write some at Mercer! How much is somewhat dependent on what elective classes you take in P2 and P3 year, but there will be some writing involved. However, most of it is not long papers - the longest thing I've done here was around 10 pages, and that was a group project so I didn't have to write it all myself.

However, the vast majority of testing at Mercer is multiple choice, and yes - I think part of that is to prepare you for the boards. Another is that the class size here is larger than a lot of pharmacy schools, so logistically it would be more difficult for profs to grade 148 essay tests quickly.

If you want, pm me and I'll explain the block to you in detail.

You have PM.

I have an interview with Mercer on May 1st as well. Good luck to us both!

I have an interview with Mercer on May 1st as well. Good luck to us both!