MCW Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
who did you all email to withdraw and did you receive a confirmation of any sorts?
I emailed Mr. Istwan on 5/8 and got a response letter on Saturday 5/10. They must have sent the letter on the same day I emailed my withdrawal. I should get my deposit in the mail soon.

Members don't see this ad.

So I called MCW this morning and found out I am in the 2nd 1/4 of the in-state list.
The lady said there are about 193 people on the wait list, 60 in-state and the rest out of state.

The system is set up so that when an oos declines an acceptance, they will be replaced by somone who is out of state, and an in-state decline will be filled by an in-stater.

Hope this helps.

So there are two lists??

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the list was more like 137. Thanks for the info about replacement method! Good luck to everyone :luck:

I'm thinking that 137 is the oos list, since they actually have 2 separate lists, is and oos.

I emailed Mr. Istwan on 5/8 and got a response letter on Saturday 5/10. They must have sent the letter on the same day I emailed my withdrawal. I should get my deposit in the mail soon.

Why/how did you receive scholarships at UW and MCW? Your numbers arent that high. Are they need base?

Why/how did you receive scholarships at UW and MCW? Your numbers arent that high. Are they need base?

Bro, I'm guessing you probably already know the answer to this if you've looked at the aforementioned person's MDapps profile (or you should have a reasonable guess as to why). Let's not turn this thread into a flame war.

Bro, I'm guessing you probably already know the answer to this if you've looked at the aforementioned person's MDapps profile (or you should have a reasonable guess as to why). Let's not turn this thread into a flame war.

Agreed, there are other threads on SDN that are appropriate for this discussion. Let's keep this one about the MCW WL.

The scholarships were based on my overall application. I've also been out of school for 2 years and working in research for a well-known company. Getting into med school is not just about numbers. Anyway, this thread is about the MCW waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting, Playmesomemusic.
It seems like a lot of OOS people are withdrawing from MCW.
I think we have a good chance.
Two more days for May 15. :sleep::sleep:

hey guys, i'm oos and just withdrew from mcw too. i wish you all the best of luck! :luck::luck::luck:

Thanks, bunface.
One more day to May 15. :luck::luck:

i waited until the last moment but also sent in my acceptance withdrawal today...it was painful!

but...good luck to all of you who are waiting!:luck:

anyone have any new news? it's been really quite.......

I called yesterday to find out when we might expect to see movement off of the alternate list. It sounds like they don't anticipate any movement until June--I'm not quite sure why. :( It looks like it will be more waiting...

I called yesterday to find out when we might expect to see movement off of the alternate list. It sounds like they don't anticipate any movement until June--I'm not quite sure why. :( It looks like it will be more waiting...

That's a bummer.....I was hoping for some waitlist movement this week. Maybe it's like last year where there was no waitlist movement. Dang that would suck!

Are you OOS or instate? (Guessing OOS)

I am OOS. I was hoping they might even start making calls today. I really hope there will be movement. I would love to go to MCW!

I am OOS. I was hoping they might even start making calls today. I really hope there will be movement. I would love to go to MCW!

Yes, me too!

You in the first quarter group?

Yes, and yourself? I really hope we have a chance at getting in!

Yes, and yourself? I really hope we have a chance at getting in!

Second for me :(

But yea, I hope we have a chance!!! Hoping that the opposite of last year happens :D

Good luck to all:luck:

To current MCW medical students:

Have any of you heard anything about waitlist movement this year???

Yep...so far this damn waitlist is moving slower than me on a ****in' Saturday morning.

Did everyone get that email from Dean Istwan this morning? Do you know if there is any way to find out what the class size is at right now? That might give us a better idea of how far (or not far) we have to go before they start pulling people off of the alternate list.

Did everyone get that email from Dean Istwan this morning? Do you know if there is any way to find out what the class size is at right now? That might give us a better idea of how far (or not far) we have to go before they start pulling people off of the alternate list.

Yea got the email.

To me, it seemed like they are still over enrolled by a good number.......

Definitely, not what I wanted to hear, but hey, what can I do.

Let's hope for the best :luck:

I didn't get this email. What was it about?

Here is the email:

Dear Candidate: Now that the May 15th deadline has passed many candidates think that medical schools are able to automatically begin making offers to the alternate or wait list. Believe me I wish that were the case. The fact is that we can only make offers if and when the number in the class falls below the desired size. In an effort to keep you informed, given where we are in that process, I don’t believe that we will be able to make an offer to the list during the month of May. Keep in mind it is early in the process. I do encourage you to stay in contact and remember to let us know if any of your contact information changes.

On a somewhat more positive note attached is a piece that, I believe, recognizes the strength of the College’s Emergency Care program.

Take care and enjoy.
Mike

Michael Istwan

(the attatchment was a bulliten stating MCW was selected as one of 11 US medical centers to be designated as a hub for emergency stroke, seziure, and spinal chord injury research.)

You think they would've learned from last year about giving out so many acceptances. Honestly, what is the point of having a waitlist if you're not going to draw from it at all (I guess they have to cover their *** just in case)?

Thanks. Actually, I just got it; apparently my email decided to take today off.

You think they would've learned from last year about giving out so many acceptances. Honestly, what is the point of having a waitlist if you're not going to draw from it at all (I guess they have to cover their *** just in case)?

Yea, I thought they would adjust as well, but I guess one crazy year wont really change the data collected over many years.

I've heard some schools experiencing a 20% increase in apps this year. When the economy is bad, apps go up to grad/professional schools. Im gonna go out on a limb and guess that 10-15 people get off the MCW waitlist this year.

I've heard some schools experiencing a 20% increase in apps this year. When the economy is bad, apps go up to grad/professional schools. Im gonna go out on a limb and guess that 10-15 people get off the MCW waitlist this year.

Atleast for one school, I heard that the school experienced a decrease in apps this year. Weird.

Man, the lack of waitlist movement is really a bummer.

Has anyone heard anything yet? Do you think it might be a good idea to call this week and see if they anticipate any movement?

Well, just got another email from Mike Istwan. If the class is holding steady, does that mean that there is really no chance of anyone getting off of the alternate list? Do you think they are still waiting to hear from anyone about their decision, or is this pretty much the end of the road for all of us alternate list folks?

I just wanted to post to say that I saw Mike Istwan walk by me about five minutes ago.

Good luck to you all!

Well, just got another email from Mike Istwan. If the class is holding steady, does that mean that there is really no chance of anyone getting off of the alternate list? Do you think they are still waiting to hear from anyone about their decision, or is this pretty much the end of the road for all of us alternate list folks?

I took it to mean: If you are in the 1st quarter there is still some hope, 2nd quarter you should seriously consider your other options, 3rd quarter better luck next time, and 4th quarter the inevitable rejection is all but officially confirmed.

I took it to mean: If you are in the 1st quarter there is still some hope, 2nd quarter you should seriously consider your other options, 3rd quarter better luck next time, and 4th quarter the inevitable rejection is all but officially confirmed.

That's the feeling I pretty much got. What a bummer!

But it's not over till its over:luck:

I sent in my letter of withdrawal today. Best wishes and good luck to all you on the waitlist!

Has anyone heard anything yet? Has there been any alternate list movement?

Has anyone heard anything yet? Has there been any alternate list movement?

According to the e-mail Mike sent out in early June...no. From the way it's looking, I'm guessing we might have a repeat of last year.

I really hope that everyone can get in, but I know the feeling of just waiting around and not hearing anything (I was a victim of last years non-movement). If all doesn't end well, don't be afraid to talk to Mike Istwan and see if there is anything you can improve on your application. He is very friendly and I think helped me get in for this year. Good luck to everyone!

When I saw this thread pop up near the top, for a second I thought someone had gotten in off the alternate list and I got excited..............

It really seems like this year is a repeat of last year, which is not good news to any of us. BTW, kernal, what quartile (group) were you in last year on the alternate list?

I really hope that everyone can get in, but I know the feeling of just waiting around and not hearing anything (I was a victim of last years non-movement). If all doesn't end well, don't be afraid to talk to Mike Istwan and see if there is anything you can improve on your application. He is very friendly and I think helped me get in for this year. Good luck to everyone!

I'll second that one. I got waitlisted EVERYWHERE last year(only a minor exaggeration) and Mike Istwan was by far the most helpful admissions person I talked to anywhere. Set up a time to talk to him about improving your application for next year. You never know what it could lead to. I'm headed there this August. Good luck everyone! :luck:

Not to hijack, but Kernal it looks like you are damn near my twin when it comes to acceptances this cycle. BTW...which school did you decide on?

When I saw this thread pop up near the top, for a second I thought someone had gotten in off the alternate list and I got excited..............

It really seems like this year is a repeat of last year, which is not good news to any of us. BTW, kernal, what quartile (group) were you in last year on the alternate list?

I think I was in the third. My application was in way late so I shot my own self in the foot. At the time last year I was only interviewing for the wait-list. It was good and bad to hear from my interviewer that he would have listed me as an accept... if my application wasn't so late.

Not to hijack, but Kernal it looks like you are damn near my twin when it comes to acceptances this cycle. BTW...which school did you decide on?

I decided on MCW. Like what Riverwoman was saying is that I found Mike Istwan to be the most helpful in answering my questions. I was struggling between Creighton and MCW though.

Sorry... returning the thread back to its original purpose....