2023-2024 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
4II --> 2WL and 2 deferred... the deferrals i received in November/Dec, so i am not sure if I should take these as soft Rs. All schools received letters of continued interest and my top choice got my LOI before I was waitlisted there. I've also sent additional LOR to these schools and sent them updated clinical hours (for the 3 that accepted this). Is there anything else that I can do? I'm going crazy, advisors have been little help, but this thread definitely makes me feel better!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
4II --> 2WL and 2 deferred... the deferrals i received in November/Dec, so i am not sure if I should take these as soft Rs. All schools received letters of continued interest and my top choice got my LOI before I was waitlisted there. I've also sent additional LOR to these schools and sent them updated clinical hours (for the 3 that accepted this). Is there anything else that I can do? I'm going crazy, advisors have been little help, but this thread definitely makes me feel better!

i feel your pain. i think the best thing we can do is hope for the best, but also plan on reapplying

Reactions: 2 users
i feel your pain. i think the best thing we can do is hope for the best, but also plan on reapplying
definitely! when i met w/ my advisor if she saw any holes in my app or ways to improve she literally said no and that i was an ideal applicant. i was like.. ok great thanks for that! actually made me feel worse bc if i cant get in as an "ideal" applicant it does not make me confident for reapplying

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
definitely! when i met w/ my advisor if she saw any holes in my app or ways to improve she literally said no and that i was an ideal applicant. i was like.. ok great thanks for that! actually made me feel worse bc if i cant get in as an "ideal" applicant it does not make me confident for reapplying

I feel you. I think the sad reality is that due to the large number of applicants, even those with great applications won’t get in because there aren’t enough seats :/

I think just applying to more schools is your best chance of getting an acceptance

I will add on to this thread as well - 1 II > 1 WL

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
@LizzyM @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @gyngyn @wysdoc

Was bugging one of my friends at one of the schools im on a WL at and he was talking about how people might hold onto their WL longer than usual and the WL timeline might be messed up this year bc of FAFSA/finaid delays.
I have a really early CTE so i'm not sure how this would affect my chances
What are y'alls thoughts/responses to this?

Was bugging one of my friends at one of the schools im on a WL at and he was talking about how people might hold onto their WL longer than usual and the WL timeline might be messed up this year bc of FAFSA/finaid delays.
I don't think schools have changed their deadlines nor that the CYMS tool has changed its suggested dates for narrowing things down.
Unfortunately this means that
a) some people will reach a decision deadline and have to choose without knowing complete financial information
b) more people than usual will ignore the suggested date of April 30 for narrowing things down to 1 school

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think schools have changed their deadlines nor that the CYMS tool has changed its suggested dates for narrowing things down.
Unfortunately this means that
a) some people will reach a decision deadline and have to choose without knowing complete financial information
b) more people than usual will ignore the suggested date of April 30 for narrowing things down to 1 school
Is April 30 not the required deadline?
If not that seems like it would massively affect people on WLs

Is April 30 not the required deadline?
If not that seems like it would massively affect people on WLs
You just have to read all this and it is not cast in stone. AMCAS® Choose Your Medical School Tool
For someone who really still needs to hear about finances, they could choose one school as PTE by April 30
Selecting PTE doesn't force them to withdraw from all WLs and can be changed to another school if they get new information.
Everyone will eventually need to choose something.

I'm not on an admissions committee, so maybe someone who is will comment

The only comment from AAMC on this issue is
1) Adhere to the CYMS timeline of the schools where you have to CTE
2) Expect there may be some flexibility due to FAFSA problems, but there are no changes to the CTE timelines.

From the AAMC Committee on Admissions (officers)
Feel free to share this information with your students and encourage the following:
  • If they have questions for schools where they have been accepted, they should ask the school's admissions office directly.
    • They can ask when the school anticipates making and communicating decisions related to scholarships and loans (for most situations, loans are a given and may not typically be sent until later, so scholarship decisions is likely the pertinent question to help applicants make decisions)
    • If this is after the April 15 and 30th protocol and CTE (Commit to Enroll) dates, they can ask if the school is willing to allow time to decide until scholarship decisions are made and communicated.

Outside my knowledge base, sorry

I think we're just screwed tbh. One of my schools won't send aid packages until mid may (havent gotten packages from others either)... it's really annoying that we have to choose schools basically financially blind

Last edited:
3 IIs --> 3 WL's; 2 IS, 1 OOS

Realistically WAMC of getting off of at least one of these? Or are we all clueless and just hoping for the best :cryi:

Last edited:
  • Care
Members don't see this ad :)
3 IIs --> 3 WL's; 2 IS, 1 OOS

UAB, USA, and UKentucky. Realistically WAMC of getting off of at least one of these? Or are we all clueless and just hoping for the best :cryi:
School dependent unfortunately. You can look at MSAR and past year threads on SDN for some more limited info. Try to improve your chances by sending updates/LOI.

• Care
Yep, LOIs sent to the schools that accept them. Already looked at the SDN threads and MSAR info. I guess I'm just in it and hoping for the best!

• Care
Am I crazy? I am WL at school A, and deferred post II at school B. School A would be less expensive to go to, but i’d be happy at both. School A does not accept letters of intent or updates but school B does. I’ve sent an update/interest letter to school B in Jan and plan to send another this week. Am I crazy for not sending intent to school B? I want to still have school A as an option in the case I get off the WL, but I also don’t want to hurt my chances of getting an A from school B. I read that intent letters only carry weight when you have another acceptance, is this true? or should I definitely be sending an intent letter to school B even though i’m not accepted anywhere yet and I’m still interested in seeing my waitlist through with school A? I also have a school C i’m waiting to hear from post II, and I was thinking if that’s an A I can wait to see if school B WL me and in that case send an intent letter later in May? I know it’s up to me to decide if i’m ready to commit to school B, but I just would rather keep my options open if an intent letter doesn’t do much unless you have an A already. Thanks!

Catching up.

We can't read minds or intentions of people on the waitlist. This behavior would also put us admissions professionals on anxiety alert, but there's nothing we can do about FAFSA.

The advice remains the same. Move forward with the offers you have and adhere to the CTE timelines your schools have set. Once you CTE, tell your schools that waitlisted you to withdraw you to help those who don't have another offer (and it's their last shot to get in this cycle).

Those on waitlists, until a school completes orientation and matriculation, you can be called off the bench at any time. Be ready, even if you have to drop your experiments, your job, or break your leases if you get an offer off a waitlist.

should I definitely be sending an intent letter to school B even though i’m not accepted anywhere yet and I’m still interested in seeing my waitlist through with school A?
This is why we don't put much stock in "letters of intent."

• Love
For those that are solely on WLs, are you guys getting your immunizations done soon? And if so, are there other things we can get done while waiting (like FAFSA, etc)?

Has anyone already started prepping for AMCAS/AACOMAS reapp? Or are we all mostly hanging on for dear life for WL movement

• Care
Has anyone already started prepping for AMCAS/AACOMAS reapp? Or are we all mostly hanging on for dear life for WL movement
I've started the prep and its a bit overwhelming, but I am excited to potentially(hopeful about WL still) take another shot at it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Do we think there will be any movement this week?? Or not really until after April 30

Do we think there will be any movement this week?? Or not really until after April 30
At least with the schools I've been WL'ed at, it seems as if they are all going to wait till April 30th, once people are supposed to have narrowed down to one A. If I was a betting man, I would wager on most schools not having any real movement till after then.

Currently on 3 TMDSAS Waitlists after not matching, I am trying to stay optimistic but realistic. Working on reapps feels like accepting defeat sometimes, but I know it's the smart thing to do. Hoping that we all start hearing about WLs super soon!

• Care
Currently on 3 TMDSAS Waitlists after not matching, I am trying to stay optimistic but realistic. Working on reapps feels like accepting defeat sometimes, but I know it's the smart thing to do. Hoping that we all start hearing about WLs super soon!
Keep the faith, our TMDSAS waitlisters typically start getting some offers after the folks who also have AMCAS offers might choose to leave Texas. Last week of April/first week of May things will start moving 🤠

Reactions: 5 users
Hopefully the hospital I work at can just put me into a coma until May

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
For TMDSAS WL is it worth sending new updates now if we have them/already sent letter of intent? At the WL school I also have no idea where I am on the list. Is that something you can ask or would I just get a generic answer?

For TMDSAS WL is it worth sending new updates now if we have them/already sent letter of intent? At the WL school I also have no idea where I am on the list. Is that something you can ask or would I just get a generic answer?
LOI seems to vary from school to school, IIRC McGovern explicitly said they do not change your position on the waitlist. I also know that lots of the programs said the waitlist is unranked in their waitlist emails, so I'd check first. You can always try and ask, though!

Guys, gals, and non-binary pals, I am slowly losing my mind :cryi: WL is truly dreadful. Currently on 3 II -> 2 WL, 1 HPWL. I am also an international student, not sure how it changes things. Can someone please tell me that it's going to be okay?

• Care
i had 3 ii and currently have 3 WL, one school said they exhaust their waitlist but at what point should i start doing an application for next cycle

i had 3 ii and currently have 3 WL, one school said they exhaust their waitlist but at what point should i start doing an application for next cycle
Manifesting every school exhausting their waitlists. 🤞
Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I'd suggest prepping now. First day to submit is on May 15th for TMDSAS.

Last edited:
Manifesting every school exhausting their waitlists. 🤞
Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I'd suggest prepping now. First day to submit is on May 15th.
Adding detail:
First day you can submit to TMDSAS is May 15th
First day you can submit to AMCAS is May 28th
Both app systems open up so you can start working on them, on May 1st.

Adding detail:
First day you can submit to TMDSAS is May 15th
First day you can submit to AMCAS is May 28th
Both app systems open up so you can start working on them, on May 1st.
Doesn't even seem real that this whole process started almost a year ago wow

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know whether med schools you're WL for can see if you have no other acceptances or WL from other schools, and are more likely to take you off the WL? Bc theoretically you are guaranteed to enroll if you have no WL or acceptances from other schools lol, I had 1 II --> 1 WL and I'm praying they take pity on me lol

Does anyone know whether med schools you're WL for can see if you have no other acceptances or WL from other schools, and are more likely to take you off the WL? Bc theoretically you are guaranteed to enroll if you have no WL or acceptances from other schools lol, I had 1 II --> 1 WL and I'm praying they take pity on me lol
That's not how it works.

Can they generally see your acceptances / WL (or lack of them) at all?
Last time I checked, we could see acceptances, not waitlists, but we don't know who. But we usually fix our waitlists before the reveal. It relies on the timely reporting of acceptances from the other schools.

Last time I checked, we could see acceptances, not waitlists, but we don't know who. But we usually fix our waitlists before the reveal. It relies on the timely reporting of acceptances from the other schools.
Thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate it. If you could clarify this a little though, I would be super grateful. So you decide who is going to get off the waitlist before finding out where else people are accepted?

How do unranked WLs work? Both my WLs say they are unranked. Do the schools actually not have a ranking or is it just an internal ranking that they don’t disclose? Thanks!

Thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate it. If you could clarify this a little though, I would be super grateful. So you decide who is going to get off the waitlist before finding out where else people are accepted?
I can't speak for all admissions committees, but if a list is ranked, we lock in our order before we find out if anyone has been accepted elsewhere. That information is not generally shared except to the admissions committee leadership. We never know who is on a waitlist.

How do unranked WLs work? Both my WLs say they are unranked. Do the schools actually not have a ranking or is it just an internal ranking that they don’t disclose? Thanks!
You have a stunt double and if they withdraw then you get in

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
I bet a few schools will slowly start accepting off the WL tmr

• Wow
We never see where else you applied, were interviewed, are waitlisted or are accepted, or rejected.
Eventually, we will see that you have PTE'd or CTE'd elsewhere.

An unranked waitlist allows us to keep the desired composition of the class.
For example, if a disproportionate number of men withdraw, men will be drawn from the waitlist (all else being equal).