*******MCW Class of 2011*********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently found out about this. What do you guys think about it? How was your experience with the lab?

I hate to be one of those guys that pimps his blog endlessly, but here's a link to an entry I wrote about the lab: http://baddoctor.blogspot.com/2006/03/whats-that-lassie-you-want-your-heart.html

I actually come down on the other side of the fence from akpete (although I can certainly respect her views on the situation) and have contemplated doing something within the student body to change the lab. Nothing so far though, as I really don't feel like butting heads with the phys dept. and I am quite confident that with the political and cultural environment we live in right now this lab will soon be shut down.

For anyone playing at home, please remember that this lab is entirely optional. Trust me when I say nothing you learn there will be something on an exam that you couldn't learn through a good textbook.

Members don't see this ad.

But that still gives you a good chance.

Actually, my "sources" tell me that they have been taking fewer and fewer people off the waitlist...I think our class was 15-ish but last year was much fewer(5-10 if i remember correctly). Dont hold me to those numbers cause it is just what i remember from a while ago.

I hate to be one of those guys that pimps his blog endlessly, but here's a link to an entry I wrote about the lab: http://baddoctor.blogspot.com/2006/03/whats-that-lassie-you-want-your-heart.html

I actually come down on the other side of the fence from akpete (although I can certainly respect her views on the situation) and have contemplated doing something within the student body to change the lab. Nothing so far though, as I really don't feel like butting heads with the phys dept. and I am quite confident that with the political and cultural environment we live in right now this lab will soon be shut down.

For anyone playing at home, please remember that this lab is entirely optional. Trust me when I say nothing you learn there will be something on an exam that you couldn't learn through a good textbook.

I agree with Funk; given the opportunity I definitely wouldn't do the lab again, as I got nothing new out of it. Everything that happened was very predictable and I honestly learned nothing new.

I see we'll have a large group of protestors outside tomorrow. Well, maybe not large, but a protest nonetheless. Who knows how big it will get.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Funk; given the opportunity I definitely wouldn't do the lab again, as I got nothing new out of it. Everything that happened was very predictable and I honestly learned nothing new.

I see we'll have a large group of protestors outside tomorrow. Well, maybe not large, but a protest nonetheless. Who knows how big it will get.

However, the lab, for me was when a lot of the concepts came together. I support it, but I can see why some people don't. I'm just so tired of all the protesting.

Trust me when I say nothing you learn there will be something on an exam that you couldn't learn through a good textbook.

While I can't argue with that statement, by that same logic, you could get rid of a large portion of the third and fourth years of medical school.

As for myself, I got a lot out of the lab, and support it.

Thank you all for the inputs.

I wonder if the people protesting would continue if instead of using dogs, some animal that everyone hates was used... like opossums or cats.

I wonder if the people protesting would continue if instead of using dogs, some animal that everyone hates was used... like opossums or cats.

Well, you don't see anyone protesting the smooth and striated muscle labs in January, where they use both frogs and rabbits.

Well, you don't see anyone protesting the smooth and striated muscle labs in January, where they use both frogs and rabbits.

I will be protesting the massive slaughtering of E. coli. I just sent the MCW President and Dean an email. I am also making a web page to protest the killing of E. coli.

I will be protesting the massive slaughtering of E. coli. I just sent the MCW President and Dean an email. I am also making a web page to protest the killing of E. coli.

EDIT: I forgot that bacteria don't exist. Disregard the future protest.

Exactly. This is what really gets me. I know the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine supports a competely vegetarian diet; however, they don't do a thing about the hundreds of 1000s of animals other than dogs used in research and the classroom. I especially find it hypocritical to have no activism against dissecting cats, since they are our pets as well, but spend the 1000s of dollars targeting our school. Shouldn't the founding principal against the dog lab be held across the gamut of animals, regardless of their "value."

Not everyone wants to participate and I completely respect their views, but that is why it is completely optional. I got a lot out of the experience. If someone chooses not to participate, that's fine.

It sucks that the only time I have to be at school tomorrow is at a noon meeting - right when the protest is going on.

Watch it.... I love cats. I actually don't like dogs. I couldn't breathe for a week after the dog lab, but I would have participated even if the lab were done on cats.

Exactly. This is what really gets me. I know the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine supports a competely vegetarian diet; however, they don't do a thing about the hundreds of 1000s of animals other than dogs used in research and the classroom. I especially find it hypocritical to have no activism against dissecting cats, since they are our pets as well, but spend the 1000s of dollars targeting our school. Shouldn't the founding principal against the dog lab be held across the gamut of animals, regardless of their "value."

Not everyone wants to participate and I completely respect their views, but that is why it is completely optional. I got a lot out of the experience. If someone chooses not to participate, that's fine.

It sucks that the only time I have to be at school tomorrow is at a noon meeting - right when the protest is going on.

i'm bringing my camera. just in case some crazy stuff goes down, i wanna be able to sell it to channel 12.

Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate is absolutely against the dog lab because it is killing an animal but she loves to kill spiders. So, I can only conclude that it isn't killing an animal that bothers them, it is killing animals that they like that bothers them.

I agree. Sort of like squishing a mosquito. I think the line people draw is pretty silly. As far as I'm concerned, life is pretty much life. From bacteria, to plants, to animals. People just defend the ones they like to cuddle and pet.

Don't get me wrong. I love dogs, and animals in general. But to me, this is just a part of the whole anti-animals in research argument, and I firmly believe that animal research saves human lives. I know this is about using animals to teach, but I don't think you can be for one and against the other.

so....uh.....future MCW students...any questions? otherwise we'll just keep on going with the hijackin' ;)

#2 - People always point out that "the top medical schools in the US no longer use dog labs and use computer simulation." Do you know why? Because it's freaking expensive to run the dog lab. It comes down to money.
And we happen to have the highest funded physiology department in the country, so they can afford it. Besides, most other schools have probably buckled under the pressure from the outside.

I've heard that LCME is investigating the issue and it wants MCW to prove to them that this dog lab is really indispensable despite the more common alternatives (such as simulators). Could this investigation result in any probations down the line?
I doubt it. The lab is endorsed by the American Physiology Society.\

While I can't argue with that statement, by that same logic, you could get rid of a large portion of the third and fourth years of medical school.
And anatomy lab.

My roommate is absolutely against the dog lab because it is killing an animal but she loves to kill spiders. So, I can only conclude that it isn't killing an animal that bothers them, it is killing animals that they like that bothers them.
It has long been the People for the Ethical Treatment of Cute and Fuzzy Animals.

i'm bringing my camera. just in case some crazy stuff goes down, i wanna be able to sell it to channel 12.

:thumbup: I hope you get something good. Don't know what that would be ... but ya never know.

2011ers, you can have your thread back. :oops:

I'm thinking of wearing an "Acme Research Animal Supply" costume and walking past the protestors with my dachshund. I'll yell, "This one almost got away, but I caught her before she could make it to freedom!" as I go by.

I hope the dog lab is still there next year... I'd at least like to see the protesters.

And I'm just not going to be there. Yay for skipping class to go to granite peak. Doubt the slopes will be worth $50, but sure sounds fun to me.

$50 :eek: That sucks.

Ashleigh, do you have to go to the AMSA board meeting tomorrow, or does your position not count?

Andy, I could bring my dog in as well. Double the effect with 2 dogs.

I've got a couple cats I could bring.

"I've got a couple cats here just in case anyone gets bored! You supply the scalpels!"

$50 :eek: That sucks.

Ashleigh, do you have to go to the AMSA board meeting tomorrow, or does your position not count?

I'm supposed to be at the meeting -- I got the email anyway. I don't know why. I don't do much of anything.

Not sure if I'll actually make it though.

I'm supposed to be at the meeting -- I got the email anyway. I don't know why. I don't do much of anything.

Not sure if I'll actually make it though.

Now, now. Don't be modest. Club officers play a vital role in every group on campus! Just look at our boy MB.

Now that I think about it...am I the only 2009er here that isn't an officer of a group? I guess my anti-extracurricular streak from undergrad just carried over.

Now, now. Don't be modest. Club officers play a vital role in every group on campus! Just look at our boy MB.

Now that I think about it...am I the only 2009er here that isn't an officer of a group? I guess my anti-extracurricular streak from undergrad just carried over.

I am the co-fundraising chair. I haven't done anything since the glove sale. Lots of people didn't want their parents notified for the brown bag lunch, so I'm pretty sure that's off. My parents wouldn't've supported it anyway. The SEMA CoP may be a little more active than I.

I was prez of UWM's AMSA, but I'm not involved in any student orgs now. I've had my fill.

I'm about to go streaking past the TV camera in front of the library. brb

okay, "medical testing of dogs" doesn't sound quite right.

at least they didn't keep pushing the "big schools don't do it" thing and mentioned many others don't simply because of cost and time. seemed at least a little more balanced.

Just saw the segment on NBC. They barely even mentioned it - the story was about 1 minute long. However, they did say that the school is using pigs next year. Anybody know if that's for sure?

Just saw the segment on NBC. They barely even mentioned it - the story was about 1 minute long. However, they did say that the school is using pigs next year. Anybody know if that's for sure?

I heard that form someone else who had a reliable source. Very disappointing. Oh well. Off to bed -- tomorrow I am actually going snowboarding. I really wish I had skipped pharm today, but I'm so glad I don't have to listen to those lectures online.

I heard that form someone else who had a reliable source. Very disappointing. Oh well. Off to bed -- tomorrow I am actually going snowboarding. I really wish I had skipped pharm today, but I'm so glad I don't have to listen to those lectures online.

Have fun snowboarding!!

Dr. Cowley said they'll be trying the pig experiment themselves, it sounded like. For his sake, it's probably a good idea. You really think that people care if pigs are used?

Imagine this as a billboard:

pigdec.jpg

Stop your meal, er, Babe the Pig, from going under the knife!

The poor girl that they interviewed on TV was so cold that her lips could barely form words. It looked like only 15 people turned out. It is a bad day for protesting.

When I was walking up to the building just a couple minutes after noon there were maybe around 30 people there.

They would've taken me about 6-7 hours to listen to them online because I'd get so annoyed, pause it, leave, come back, etc.

um...um...you um, mised the um, joke. um.

um...um...you um, mised the um, joke. um.

I think I did, too.

In other news, you, Doctor Funk, and I will all be at the Saturday clinic tomorrow. I think we should work together to form an unholy triumverate and rule the clinic with an iron fist.

I think I did, too.

In other news, you, Doctor Funk, and I will all be at the Saturday clinic tomorrow. I think we should work together to form an unholy triumverate and rule the clinic with an iron fist.

So it is written, so it shall come to pass.

Well, she was saying that she was glad that she didn't stay home and listen to the lecture online. That is odd because going to class and sitting through lectures is usually worse than speeding through lectures in your sweats with your own coffee.

Ashers: Man, I'm glad I didn't have to stay at home and listen to that lecture.
AgentSplat: [sarcasm] Yeah, 'cuz going to the lecture hall and taking nots on those little retractable writing surfaces is much more comfortable than listening to the lectures at home in your sweats.

That is how that went in MY head.

Ah, gotcha.

So it is written, so it shall come to pass.

370018941_fee8106541_o.gif

So class of 09--are we going to have an SDN party this afternoon to commemorate/commiserate our track assignments when they're posted?

...so the bartender says, "no, but thats a nice ski mask!"

Dumb and Dumber was on last night.
I watched it 1.5 times last week. I watched it randomly one night, and then my sister came over on Saturday and asked if we could watch it, so we skipped around to my favorite parts.

I desperately want to make love to a schoolboy.

So class of 09--are we going to have an SDN party this afternoon to commemorate/commiserate our track assignments when they're posted?

OMFG!!!!111ONEONE!!!!11112

I'm am s000000000 teh 3Xcit3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111ONEONEELEVENTY1!!

0RTH0 IS TEH 733T H4XXORZ!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

OMFG!!!!111ONEONE!!!!11112

I'm am s000000000 teh 3Xcit3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111ONEONEELEVENTY1!!

0RTH0 IS TEH 733T H4XXORZ!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

You could have just said you started the party a little early, you know. Kinda hurt you and Jim Beam didn't invite me over.

You could have just said you started the party a little early, you know. Kinda hurt you and Jim Beam didn't invite me over.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww jfunk i sorry

in juts a litle wpedd out form rexams annd cuold'nt weit.

Status
Not open for further replies.