*******MCW Class of 2011*********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps I was in a slightly euphoric state before I crashed into a few hours of sedation. If you want to find out how I really feel. Look for my posts regarding CER and pathology.

but i think the "they take good care of you" refered to the registrars helping my parents locate me in the hospital, and the hospital keeping me opioided up. :D

they haven't kept ME opioided up. what the hell?

Members don't see this ad.

Did this place stop working? It shows no new posts in any forum since 2:00 today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, does anyone know the last time by which you have to file FAFSA b/4 class begins

Can someone tell me more about the curriculum. I know that it is organ based. Is it mostly traditional? PBL? How much time do you spend in class? Also, do you feel like the exams every four weeks are more stressful than exams more often? Would you consider the type of curriculum as very important to choosing a med school?
I swear I tried to use the search function! Of course it led me to this thread and then I started to read each page and then thought... this is nuts.

Can someone tell me more about the curriculum. I know that it is organ based. Is it mostly traditional? PBL? How much time do you spend in class? Also, do you feel like the exams every four weeks are more stressful than exams more often? Would you consider the type of curriculum as very important to choosing a med school?
I swear I tried to use the search function! Of course it led me to this thread and then I started to read each page and then thought... this is nuts.

It's not really organ based. It kinda is within each class, but other than that, no organ basis. I actually thought the school was organ based when I started. I'm glad it's not though, I've heard about my sister's school, and it sounds horrible.

There's PBL 1st year for psych. I absolutely hated it, but then if you read through each page of this, the 2009 and both 2010 threads, you'd find that psych is my nemesis. All of my topics were non-psych related. Apparently there's also PBL in some rotations

Here's some links from the search the thread thing. Really, I'm doped up, and I'll probably say something that I'll get made fun of later, like what I said on the last page or something.

Post 789

Post 315 asks a bunch of questions

Post 1079 = question

I think that's it for searching your key words. I listed the number post of the original question, and we tend to answer it soon after it's posted. Back to sleep. Lookin up lectures made me tired, and I havne't even started listening to all the ones I missed.

The curriculum is, as Ashers said, pretty traditional. YOu have a class in biochem, anatomy, and development, blah blah blah. each class covers it's own material pretty independently. There's a little crossover between anatomy and development as to covering the same systems at the same time, but that's about it. I wouldn't call it organ based.

As for exams, having them every four weeks is a big dilemma for me. I haven't figured out what I prefer yet, and i'm almost done with second year. On one hand, having them all at once every four weeks is nice because you can sorta adjust your life around exams and have a weekend or two off. on the other hand, you have 2 weeks around exam time where your life completely changes, you become a hermit, stop shaving your armpits, and have absolutely no life. It honestly feels like final exams EVERY SINGLE TIME. But then when it's over, it's over. You don't have to catch up on other classes you were having during the week of the other test because all of the classes had tests.

Every now and then our tests get broken up second year...which is nice because personally I can space out my studying more...a week of studying for pathology, take the test, then a week to study for pharm. As opposed to studying mostly pathology for a Monday test, then trying to cram pharm in after the pathology test for a Tuesday test. The downside to having tests spaced out is it feels like you're studying FOREVER.

As for time spent in class....pretty much all morning. First year you have class from 8:20am until noon, then in the afternoons you'll have anatomy labs or other things going on like visits to your mentor. Second semester is a bit lighter as you have more free afternoons thanks to not having anatomy lab. Second year is class all morning with occasional afternoon lectures but largely you have small group discussions, labs, or clinical exam sessions. I did my first pelvic exam on Friday!

Hope that helps. Personally I prefer the traditional curriculum. All this newfangled stuff is all too flashy for me. Just freaking tell me what I need to know and I'll have it memorized for the exam. Unless I think it's useless, then I won't bother.

As for PBL. Waste of time. Luckily it's a pretty minor and forgettable component of first year.

As for exams, having them every four weeks is a big dilemma for me. I haven't figured out what I prefer yet, and i'm almost done with second year. On one hand, having them all at once every four weeks is nice because you can sorta adjust your life around exams and have a weekend or two off. on the other hand, you have 2 weeks around exam time where your life completely changes, you become a hermit, stop shaving your armpits, and have absolutely no life. It honestly feels like final exams EVERY SINGLE TIME. But then when it's over, it's over. You don't have to catch up on other classes you were having during the week of the other test because all of the classes had tests.

Do you shave your armpits normally?

Thanks for keeping this forum so active...even though a good deal of the posts have nothing to do with the incoming class, reading through all the posts has me excited to come to Milwaukee in the fall. I feel like i'm already getting to KNOW people at MCW...especially Prowler, who I could probably ID in a lineup (if he was facing backwards).

On a separate matter, what's this about having to come to the school to see the roommate matching pages? I thought they sent out all of the info to people on the list, not just contact info... ???

Thanks for keeping this forum so active...even though a good deal of the posts have nothing to do with the incoming class, reading through all the posts has me excited to come to Milwaukee in the fall. I feel like i'm already getting to KNOW people at MCW...especially Prowler, who I could probably ID in a lineup (if he was facing backwards).

On a separate matter, what's this about having to come to the school to see the roommate matching pages? I thought they sent out all of the info to people on the list, not just contact info... ???

We talk about MCW stuff whenever someone asks but in between we conduct, what doctors call, "shennanigans".

I think you have to go to the school and look at the binder full of people's info to figure out who you'd live with. I didn't do that but a couple people emailed me and I just picked the first person.

sorry guys, its sdn policy to close all threads over 1,000 posts. once threads get over that number they start causing problems with the servers.

you're more than welcome to start a part 2 to this thread but this one is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.