*******MCW Class of 2011*********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, and where would the 2010 people and thread be without the 2009ers. (I guess the original 2010 thread would still be open...)

Pharm sucks... so does snow.

I'll start the 2012 thread and start posting in that! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Right, and where would the 2010 people and thread be without the 2009ers. (I guess the original 2010 thread would still be open...)

Pharm sucks... so does snow.

Exactly! You were helping us! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone...anyone know where to start looking for apartments?? where do most mcw students live?? are there any apartments designated for mcw students??

My landlady's brother just mentioned to me that he has some 18 properties in the area. I don't know him very well except that he just snow-blew my sidewalk for me. :) PM me for contact information.

'08 had a thread somewhere... It was about three pages long because we didn't have Marc, Jesse, Ash and Andy to keep it going. Good times, kids.

Also, I just noticed that I mostly post when I'm on call. I'm pouring my massive knowledge base into this forum, people, you'd better appreciate it.

'08 had a thread somewhere... It was about three pages long because we didn't have Marc, Jesse, Ash and Andy to keep it going. Good times, kids.

Also, I just noticed that I mostly post when I'm on call. I'm pouring my massive knowledge base into this forum, people, you'd better appreciate it.

and you are....?

I *heart* Xandie. =)

Also possibly because you and I are the only two from our class who seem to be in here.

I don't know who anyone else in there is. And Marianne11 isn't even in our class anymore (at least I don't think so).

Who wants to take the GI path test for me, so I can study for pharm?

I do, I do, I do!

Carcinoid syndrome: the only time you'll have flushing before diarrhea! Mwahaha!

Members don't see this ad :)
I do, I do, I do!

Carcinoid syndrome: the only time you'll have flushing before diarrhea! Mwahaha!

Thanks Funk, be there at 9, or at 6 to join in the insanity.

That's a good way to remember that. I told someone in our class that I *heart* sumitriptan, and he was basically like "Ok, so I'm going to think of you nauseous, flushing, with angina, after you get over your migraine."

I don't know who anyone else in there is. And Marianne11 isn't even in our class anymore (at least I don't think so).

41 is Zagum... and I don't know who anyone else is either (which obviously means they don't exist).

Marianne left after a few weeks... I heard she was coming back, but apparently that was an untrue piece of information.

And Marc... be nice to me. I got my first speeding ticket on Friday AND my turn signal fell off my car at the beginning of a 10 hour roadtrip. Go inpatient peds and golden weekends... rah.

And Marc... be nice to me. I got my first speeding ticket on Friday AND my turn signal fell off my car at the beginning of a 10 hour roadtrip. Go inpatient peds and golden weekends... rah.

My wife managed to break off her right sideview mirror backing out of our garage last Saturday. Looks like it was a bad weekend for MCWer's cars.

Could you guys fill me in on why bacteria don't exist and why Agent Splat wants to eat Andy's soul? Who is Andy anyway? :confused:

Looking up at the other sn's I found Andy... I guess I just need to know why Splat wants to eat his soul now.

It's a nemesis thing.

I can't really expect anyone to understand.... No one can truly know how I feel unless you've experienced what Andy has done to my people for yourself.

as for the bacteria thing....well, they just don't exist. i'm sorry you've been mis-educated all this time, but it will become painfully clear in 2 years.

Hi everyone. I've also been accepted to the 2011 class! So fellow classmates, when is a good time to start filling out the school's Financial Aid Application and the Parental Worksheet forms?

I do, I do, I do!

You've been listening to Goljan haven't you.

BTW, nice job on hijacking the 2011 thread everyone.

Hi everyone. I've also been accepted to the 2011 class! So fellow classmates, when is a good time to start filling out the school's Financial Aid Application and the Parental Worksheet forms?

scroll up and read. you can start them any time you have the information you need, but ASAP is best. don't let them think your parents are giving you much (if any) money...you'll get hosed.

Hijacking threads gives me warm fuzzies.

Unlike school. School gives me Sumatriptan-requiring migraines.

Hijacking threads gives me warm fuzzies.

Unlike school. School gives me Sumatriptan-requiring migraines.
I :love: sumatriptan. Rizatriptan is OK, but it hurts my tongue.

where'd the bacteria thing come from anyway? It sounds like something that came from Tom Cruise's mouth.

Look at my thing under my name. I think I wrote that right before the bacteriology exam. They're just a bunch of colored dots -- like the "cells" they want us to know for CTB and path.

Look at my thing under my name. I think I wrote that right before the bacteriology exam. They're just a bunch of colored dots -- like the "cells" they want us to know for CTB and path.

I still maintain that the discipline of Biochemistry was made up by someone with an overactive imagination.

I still maintain that the discipline of Biochemistry was made up by someone with an overactive imagination.

See, now this is the reason that I am moving closer and closer to a surgical specialty every day. Physiology, pharmacology, biochemistry, microbiology? All conjecture. If I can't hold it in my hands and it doesn't bleed, I don't wanna hear about it.

See, now this is the reason that I am moving closer and closer to a surgical specialty every day. Physiology, pharmacology, biochemistry, microbiology? All conjecture. If I can't hold it in my hands and it doesn't bleed, I don't wanna hear about it.

YES! Join me on the dark side. ;) Especially ortho. Once you know that specialty, you don't need to know any more medicine ever again. hehehe.

I hate migraines... too bad I only have rizatriptan aka Maxalt-MLT here with me at school, and it's not a bolded term, so most likely it wasn't mentioned in the serotonin coop. (Wanna email me the coop, Funk? So I can be entertained, at least, while studying?)

Productivity level -- plummeting.

(Wanna email me the coop, Funk? So I can be entertained, at least, while studying?)

Productivity level -- plummeting.

Yes, my master.
e5dvd.jpg

YES! Join me on the dark side. ;) Especially ortho. Once you know that specialty, you don't need to know any more medicine ever again. hehehe.

Who cares about bones?? If you ask me, they are no more important than sticks off a tree. They are there, do nothin, but still there. On the other hand, can i get a woop woop for anesthesia

Who cares about bones?? If you ask me, they are no more important than sticks off a tree. They are there, do nothin, but still there. On the other hand, can i get a woop woop for anesthesia

I think you're forgetting all about their lovely hematopoietic responsibilities. There are plenty of people in our class that completely bombed the 2nd block exam that would argue that bones are plenty important (at least, insofar as importance in the body is directly proportional to how confusing it is to understand what in the heck is going on).

I think you're forgetting all about their lovely hematopoietic responsibilities. There are plenty of people in our class that completely bombed the 2nd block exam that would argue that bones are plenty important (at least, insofar as importance in the body is directly proportional to how confusing it is to understand what in the heck is going on).

seeing as I ACED the extremely complex and highly clinically relevant last CTB exam last year, i think it's quite clear how vital histology will be for our futures as clinicians.

seeing as I ACED the extremely complex and highly clinically relevant last CTB exam last year, i think it's quite clear how vital histology will be for our futures as clinicians.

Showoff. Go get a PhD already.

Surgery via proximal muscle groups and power tools!!

A direct quote I heard in an ortho OR. JMS: "How hard do I need to hit it?" Attending: "Just hit it already."

why is ortho so danged competitive, anyway?

I can't really say. But it seems that as a rule all of the surgical subspecialties seem to be much more competitive than General Surgery (pronounced: "painful residency").

Hello Readers, hope you are looking forward to the State of the Union tonight along with all the unnecessary clapping.
Anyway, I have a question I was hoping this thread would be able to answer, kind of. MCW is my top choice for schools, we'll that or UW, its win win though. All of my secondary information was recieved the first week of December. My numbers are all competitive, however, I have yet to hear an interview offer. I heard from Madison like 4 weeks after sending my stuff in (I know if ur WI res. its pretty much a sure thing) however, still tons of paper work. I am wondering how long it took for some of you to get interviews, and if anyone knows exactly how long MCW's holiday break is. I realize that with the holidays that means I have to suffer more waiting. I hope you guys can provide me with some info, and hope. Good Luck to you all.

-Mike

Hi Mike. The holiday was over Jan 2. Just the couple weeks over the holidays here.

If you're instate, things run quicker at Madison because everyone that is in-state has an automatic interview, and they schedule that based on when your primary app was in. When I applied, they emailed me to offer an interview WELL before I had gotten the 2ndary or LOR in to their office.

For MCW, I'm going to be completely honest. Being complete in the beginning of Dec is quite late in the application process here. I hate to say it, but because of the rolling admissions, it's kinda first come first serve. I was complete in October (stupid LORs) and was placed in the interview "pool," then finally interviewed in early February. It was the last date that there was any spots left in the class. From ~mid Feb to April they interview for the waitlist. Traditionally the waitlist has moved quite a bit, but that's slowed down in the last couple years for whatever reason.

But ya never know...you could get the email any day now.

I wish you the best of luck, and I also recommend that if you'd like to know more, to call up Mike Itswan. He's a nice guy and will often tell you the straight up info. And extra interest in the school never hurts.

Good luck!

Hello Readers, hope you are looking forward to the State of the Union tonight along with all the unnecessary clapping.
Anyway, I have a question I was hoping this thread would be able to answer, kind of. MCW is my top choice for schools, we'll that or UW, its win win though. All of my secondary information was recieved the first week of December. My numbers are all competitive, however, I have yet to hear an interview offer. I heard from Madison like 4 weeks after sending my stuff in (I know if ur WI res. its pretty much a sure thing) however, still tons of paper work. I am wondering how long it took for some of you to get interviews, and if anyone knows exactly how long MCW's holiday break is. I realize that with the holidays that means I have to suffer more waiting. I hope you guys can provide me with some info, and hope. Good Luck to you all.

-Mike

YOu can also always contact Istwan and tell him of your continued interest if you still want a shot at an interview. I was waiting to hear after submitting my secondary way back when, then he showed up at a grad school fair at my undergrad...talked to him, then sent an email a few days later, and within 2 weeks I had my interview invite. Perhaps a coincidence, but perhaps showing continued interest pushed things along a bit.

But what April said is right....at this point I'm pretty sure it's waitlist interviewing. But that still gives you a good chance.

edit...I jsut realize i sorta repeated everything april said but with my own personal story. my bad. sorry april. please don't deactivate me.

I recently found out about this. What do you guys think about it? How was your experience with the lab? Also, see the video clip provided on that website. Is this really necessary? Can it be called animal cruelty or is it just a unique educational "tool"? I've heard that LCME is investigating the issue and it wants MCW to prove to them that this dog lab is really indispensable despite the more common alternatives (such as simulators). Could this investigation result in any probations down the line?

I recently found out about this. What do you guys think about it? How was your experience with the lab? Also, see the video clip provided on that website. Is this really necessary? Can it be called animal cruelty or is it just a unique educational "tool"? I've heard that LCME is investigating the issue and it wants MCW to prove to them that this dog lab is really indispensable despite the more common alternatives (such as simulators). Could this investigation result in any probations down the line?

Could this result in any probations? No, unless the LCME puts a ban on animals used in labs. All of the laws are being followed.

I thought the dog lab was a valuable experience. And I have a dog myself. It's so irritating that our school is being targeted so heavily for this.

#1 - the dogs will be put down regardless. So if you really want to save the dogs' lives, then eliminate the pet over-population problem.

#2 - People always point out that "the top medical schools in the US no longer use dog labs and use computer simulation." Do you know why? Because it's freaking expensive to run the dog lab. It comes down to money.

#3 - Nobody cares when other animals are used. MCW has considered using pigs...no one cares about that. What about the thousands of rats, mice, rabbits, etc. that die all the time for research. Hell, no one even pays attention to all the cats that are dissected by undergrads and high schools each year. Those cats weren't just picked up off the street already dead. Those cats are killed for the sake of learning.

#4 - A computer is never the same.

#5 - MCW continues the dog lab because students evaluate so highly and ~90-95% of students take part in the lab BY CHOICE.

I didn't actually go to the website or watch the video (don't have time right now), so I won't comment on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.