MCPHS (Worcester) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone accepted to MCPHS interviewing at Maryland ?

Members don't see this ad.

you were probably got interviewed on the same day as mine, the 18th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my Pharmcas on Nov 22 and Submitted the supplemental application Nov 23rd, I got an interview letter on January 18th and my interview is on Feb8th 2011( I called them for interview). anyone doing interview the same day?
I am from San Jose CA.

How long does it take for pharmcas to process your application? I check my status every time and it says not mailed. I submitted my application on 01/09/11. Sent my transcripts directly to pharmcas and mcphs as well, but they have not received, so i'm freaked out. Also, one of lor's is still in process, can that delay my app? Help!

How long does it take for pharmcas to process your application? I check my status every time and it says not mailed. I submitted my application on 01/09/11. Sent my transcripts directly to pharmcas and mcphs as well, but they have not received, so i'm freaked out. Also, one of lor's is still in process, can that delay my app? Help!

I was just reading the PharmCAS subforum...
"...as long as you e-submitted by the deadline." you should be okay per JenAthay post. Good luck!

i compared the course load to other pharmacy school programs.. they all have about the same 16-18credit hr course load each semester.. the only difference is the course load during the summer... other schools have no school during the summer.. but we do! anything worth having requires hard work.. so as long as we stay focused and work hard.. anything is possible!:)
Thats very right! All it takes is hard work and the motivation for me is getting it all done in 3 years!

I was curious if anyone talked to any students during their interview and got any input? There was a snowstorm on the day I interviewed and the school closed early.
What kind of input are u talking about?? I have some friends currently in the school.

hi, i'm new to the forum. =).
i applied to mcphs worcester and pharmcas sent out my application on 1/10.
i called the school today and they said... "your application is under review, and you should be getting something in the mail very soon."
i'm waiting, but the wait is killing me... ahh..
anyone have any idea if what they says is a "good" or "bad" sign? i asked them if it's via email and they said no... it's post mail...
help please...

Just found out I got into mcphs worcester :laugh:

Pharmcas mailed out my app on 12/20, got an interview offer 1/7 by mail. Since I live around 20 mins away from the school, the mail is arrived fast.

I was scheduled to interview 1/21, but snow delayed it to 1/24. They mailed out a letter 2 days later saying I was accepted!

Stats:
BS degree in Psych
3.44 Sci GPA 3.49 Overall
8 months work as pharmacy tech at CVS
96 percentile PCAT (though they don't require it, it's still on the Pharmcas app!)

Last edited:
it doesnt seem that their first question about why you want to go
has a word count limit
how long is everyones?
a page or so?

How long is your answer for this question?

I had my interview last weekend, and a faculty member from the admission said that they will get back to me in a week. I haven't heard anything yet. Now I am a little worried. did anyone who attended that same interview got any reply yet?

I interviewed on 1/22/10 and just got my acceptance letter yesterday! So excited and relieved!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview last weekend, and a faculty member from the admission said that they will get back to me in a week. I haven't heard anything yet. Now I am a little worried. did anyone who attended that same interview got any reply yet?

Length of time after interview mainly depends on where you live.

I had my interview on 1/22 and received my acceptance letter today in the mail...:thumbup::D

Hi guys,
I just got an invitation for interview from mcphs, I am wondering if you guys give me some information about their questions and essay topics? I am getting nervous ...

Thanks

Hi guys,
I just got an invitation for interview from mcphs, I am wondering if you guys give me some information about their questions and essay topics? I am getting nervous ...

Thanks

Hey, congratulations, you reached the first half now you have to relax and prepare for your other half. The interview questions are very easy. They were very similar to questions listed on "Interview Feedback" tab on SDN.
You do not need to worry for anything. The interview was very relaxing and it was more like conversation.
The essay questions were easy too. So, just calm down. I was getting nervous when i had my interview, but you dont need to. Enjoy the day of your interview.
I hope your interview goes very well and you get accepted !!

Congrats to all the newly accepted students!

Hi guys,

Thanks

the interview is really relaxed. it's an open file so they already know everything about you.. so they just want to meet you and talk to you face to face. the essay is really easy.. it's basic questions. i recommend practicing the questions on the interview feedback it helps you to start brain storming on what your answers are going to be... just study them for a couple of days before the interview and also look through the school's website helps to know about the program. and the school... you'll do fine! its really a relaxed environment! Good luck..:)

so im finished with my pre-reqs for pharm school and do not intend to get a BA degree... i start pharmacy school in the fall of this year. the question on the fasfa page asks do i have a BA. I do not know if pharmacy school is considered graduate school for me since i did not get my BA. so im puzzled on what to put on my fasfa...so my question is do i apply as a graduate school student when applying to pharmacy school..and do u get pell grant when you apply as a graduate student?

so im finished with my pre-reqs for pharm school and do not intend to get a BA degree... i start pharmacy school in the fall of this year. the question on the fasfa page asks do i have a BA. I do not know if pharmacy school is considered graduate school for me since i did not get my BA. so im puzzled on what to put on my fasfa...so my question is do i apply as a graduate school student when applying to pharmacy school..and do u get pell grant when you apply as a graduate student?

The financial aid dept. sent me a letter with my acceptance letter that says for accelerated PharmD:
  • 0 - 89 earned credits at enrollment state 4th year undergraduate for FAFSA
  • 90+ credits or bachelor's degree earned at enrollment state graduate for FAFSA

I hope that helps.

Hi guys,

Thanks

It's very relaxing. The admissions staff is super friendly and they are there to help in any way they can. Like other people have said, the feedback section offers good examples for essay and interview questions. The interview is not intense at all. For my interview, it was more of the professor telling me about the program and asking questions here and there, rather than being drilled. Just be able to tell them about you, why MCPHS, why pharmacy, etc. Also, be sure to have questions for them. Good luck!!!

I feel bad for someone who is considered 4th year undergraduate student that cannot pay the tuition off. The Stafford loan is less (even though the graduate amount only covers up to 20,000), and you cant apply for the
GradPLUS loan. Then, the person must rely on private loans, which I heard you want to stay away from as much as possible. Thankfully, I have enough credits though.

KidKay,

Thanks! I have an interview on March 3. Do you have any interview tips that you can suggest? How was the writing sample?

KidKay,

Thanks! I have an interview on March 3. Do you have any interview tips that you can suggest? How was the writing sample?

Congrats on your interview! 1st half is over...I guess like everyone suggests, go over the feedback section...:thumbup:

Thanks every one for your help and support, I will let you know how it goes.

I feel bad for someone who is considered 4th year undergraduate student that cannot pay the tuition off. The Stafford loan is less (even though the graduate amount only covers up to 20,000), and you cant apply for the
GradPLUS loan. Then, the person must rely on private loans, which I heard you want to stay away from as much as possible. Thankfully, I have enough credits though.

What's the GradPLUS loan? Im assuming its federal... can those of us who are graduate students get both the Stafford and GradPLUS if we owe over the 20k covered by Stafford

What's the GradPLUS loan? Im assuming its federal... can those of us who are graduate students get both the Stafford and GradPLUS if we owe over the 20k covered by Stafford

Its a loan that covers the remaining cost of attendance. And yes, you can have both the Stafford and GradPLUS. In fact, you HAVE to file for the Stafford loan in order to file for the GradPLUS

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PlusLoansGradProfstudents.jsp

However, this can be avoided if the person has a parent who will cosign for them under a parent PLUS loan. Something like that. Guess its not that bad after all

Last edited:
I received the interview invitation from MCPHS-Worcester:) I tried to call Kate to schedule my interview. I wait for 2 days and she hasn't called me back. How did you guys schedule your interviews? Thanks

I received the interview invitation from MCPHS-Worcester:) I tried to call Kate to schedule my interview. I wait for 2 days and she hasn't called me back. How did you guys schedule your interviews? Thanks
same thing happened to me, I called few days in a row and Kate said there was a snow storm there and the school was closed!I left her like 2-3 messages and she even mentioned that, she said I got your messages and your are the first one on my list to call, but I called her sooner I guess. I have my interview on Feb 8th. I am so nervous.!!!

i think it's best if you don't leave a message and just keep calling back until she picks up the phone. That's what I did.

I recieved my acceptance letter..so excited:)

same thing happened to me, I called few days in a row and Kate said there was a snow storm there and the school was closed!I left her like 2-3 messages and she even mentioned that, she said I got your messages and your are the first one on my list to call, but I called her sooner I guess. I have my interview on Feb 8th. I am so nervous.!!!

I reached her already :). My interview is on March 8. Good luck with your interview.

I emailed someone in the admission's office and he said my decision letter is on it's way. He hinted me by saying " YOU WILL BE PLEASED WITH THE RESULT! I am very relieved, Just want to say thanks for ur advice.

Ok...so I E-Submitted the app on 01/09/11 for PharmCAS and the supplemental app I submitted it back in November. How long did it take you guys for PharmCAS to process ur apps once everything was received?

Ok...so I E-Submitted the app on 01/09/11 for PharmCAS and the supplemental app I submitted it back in November. How long did it take you guys for PharmCAS to process ur apps once everything was received?

About 3 weeks for me too.

I e- submited nov 22 they get back to me around mid Jan

THANKS GUYS!! Any tips on the interview? well that's if they call me for it...but just in case...how was it?

THANKS GUYS!! Any tips on the interview? well that's if they call me for it...but just in case...how was it?

Easy breezy. Basic questions: WHY MCPHS? Why pharm? How are you prepared for an accelerated program? The interviewer will have your file in front of him/her so know your app well. Writing sample is a joke.

Its a loan that covers the remaining cost of attendance. And yes, you can have both the Stafford and GradPLUS. In fact, you HAVE to file for the Stafford loan in order to file for the GradPLUS

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PlusLoansGradProfstudents.jsp

However, this can be avoided if the person has a parent who will cosign for them under a parent PLUS loan. Something like that. Guess its not that bad after all

I see now, that makes sense. I'm hoping to get the full eligibility for the Stafford loan which is $20,500 (up to 8500 of which is subsidized, meaning no interest accruing while in school). I already filed my taxes and FAFSA. Anyone know when we hear back from financial aid office?

has anyone in here, who were interviewed on 1/22/11 and from CA, received the decision letter yet?