Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't get an email. Would anyone like to tell us what the email said?

I didn't get an email. Would anyone like to tell us what the email said?

Nope. Top secret. ;)

Kidding, of course. Here's what I received:
Greetings! As I prepare to make final offers to fill our fall 2017 DO class, I am reaching out to confirm your continued interest in MU-COM. Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Bryan

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you suppose it means, that some people got an email and some didn't?

What do you suppose it means, that some people got an email and some didn't?

Your guess is as good as mine. Could mean we're at the top of the waitlist or the bottom. It could mean they haven't gone through our files lately or haven't heard from us. It could have to do with when we interviewed as well. I try to take everything with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 users
Gosh I'm hoping that not getting one isn't a death sentence..."finals offers" is really intimidating :nailbiting: here's to hoping that they assumed that I was still expressing interest still in recent communications...

Gosh I'm hoping that not getting one isn't a death sentence..."finals offers" is really intimidating :nailbiting: here's to hoping that they assumed that I was still expressing interest still in recent communications...
Ignore my typos :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED! never ever in my life did i think i would get to write this on here. everyone, keep the faith alive because good things come to those who wait and you all are going to get in!

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED! never ever in my life did i think i would get to write this on here. everyone, keep the faith alive because good things come to those who wait and you all are going to get in!

Yay! Congratulations!!

Does MU-COM have a dress code for classes? I know they talked about it during the interview but I completely don't remember.

Yay! I'm so happy for you!

Does MU-COM have a dress code for classes? I know they talked about it during the interview but I completely don't remember.

No dress code! Just scrubs for anatomy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! :clap: And gosh I hope you're right :whistle:

I can assure everyone that at least one more spot is going to open up. I'll be forfeiting my acceptance tomorrow as I was accepted to another school close to home. I loved my interview day there and think Marian is a great institution and will continue to graduate fabulous DO's. Good luck to everyone and I know one deserving soul will be jumping for joy in the not too distant future :)

Reactions: 5 users
It absolutely doesn't matter what you wear. I wore gym clothes every single day!

ACCEPTED! This has been my top choice for over three years, words cannot describe how happy I am right now! :banana: Neither does this emoji but it comes closer! Keep the faith y'all, I've been on the waitlist since October so anything can happen!

Reactions: 9 users
Can any current students give any advice on housing options? It's very overwhelming looking for a place when I don't currently live in Indiana!

Can any current students give any advice on housing options? It's very overwhelming looking for a place when I don't currently live in Indiana!
I live with a first year student now down the street from Marian at The Residence at White River. The apartments are moderately priced rent wise and it's super nice to be so close to school. Another place to consider is The Stadium Lofts. A bit more pricey but nicer & closer to downtown but still close to Marian. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

sounds like they're wrapping things up, since it's been radio silence for a while...

Got another "status check" email from Bryan today. This is killing me.

Withdrew my acceptance today! Good luck!!

Accepted today! Good luck to those who are waiting!! Don't give up hope! :)

Is there a match list available for MU-COM? I can't seem to find it..

Is there a match list available for MU-COM? I can't seem to find it..

Nope. I'm not sure why our school never sent it to us (I'm part of the recent graduating class). Did you have a specific specialty you were curious about? I know a lot of our graduating class positions, but it would take a lot for me to craft up the list on here.

Nope. I'm not sure why our school never sent it to us (I'm part of the recent graduating class). Did you have a specific specialty you were curious about? I know a lot of our graduating class positions, but it would take a lot for me to craft up the list on here.

Congrats on graduating! No, I just wanted to vaguely see where everyone matched and into what specialties. Thanks for answering!

Congrats on graduating! No, I just wanted to vaguely see where everyone matched and into what specialties. Thanks for answering!

I can tell you we had a good mix of things: from what I know we (at least, I don't have exact numbers) had:

- 7 anesthesia
- 1 derm
- 8 EM
- 1 EM/IM
- 41 FM
- 8 gen surg
- 17 IM
- 4 med/peds
- 4 OB
- 3 ortho
- 11 peds
- 4 PM&R
- 2 prelim surg
- 6 psych
- 3 radiology
- 1 peds/psych/child psych
- 4 TRI

That accounts for MOST of our class (125/134), I just don't know the rest. A lot of people were able to stay in Indiana when they wanted to, and a good chunk are in the surrounding states of MI/IL/OH/KY (but also matches from coast to coast). We also had some pretty cool matches, like at Harvard and Wash U St Louis. I wish Marian released a more specific list, but obviously that's not up to me. Hopefully this helps ease some curiosity!

Reactions: 2 users
I can tell you we had a good mix of things: from what I know we (at least, I don't have exact numbers) had:

- 7 anesthesia
- 1 derm
- 8 EM
- 1 EM/IM
- 41 FM
- 8 gen surg
- 17 IM
- 4 med/peds
- 4 OB
- 3 ortho
- 11 peds
- 4 PM&R
- 2 prelim surg
- 6 psych
- 3 radiology
- 4 TRI

That accounts for MOST of our class (125/134), I just don't know the rest. A lot of people were able to stay in Indiana when they wanted to, and a good chunk are in the surrounding states of MI/IL/OH/KY (but also matches from coast to coast). We also had some pretty cool matches, like at Harvard and Wash U St Louis. I wish Marian released a more specific list, but obviously that's not up to me. Hopefully this helps ease some curiosity!

Wow, thank you! :) I really appreciate you giving us more info about the match list, this def helps out with the curiosity haha! Thanks!!

I read on the other COM threads that we still have to get titers done even if we have a record of the immunization. Does anyone know if this is the case for Marian too?

Yes you will need your immunization records as well as titers. Some schools such as Marian are more strict and require your titers prior to admission. Other schools required them before your clinical years

Well that sucks lol. I thought I was finally done with the immunizations but now I have to do this

Hi All,
As for the immunization question, if you will follow this link it will list the required health requirements and which need titers.

--Admissions

Not sure if there is a better thread to post this under, but I was recently accepted to the Marian BMS program and I am looking for a (female) roommate or two in Indy! I asked if there was facebook page for the program but I haven't heard of one. I would be happy to live with BMS or MU-COM students! If anyone is interested, PM me :)

Not sure if there is a better thread to post this under, but I was recently accepted to the Marian BMS program and I am looking for a (female) roommate or two in Indy! I asked if there was facebook page for the program but I haven't heard of one. I would be happy to live with BMS or MU-COM students! If anyone is interested, PM me :)

Hi mhtotte,
Here is the link to the BMS facebook group: Log into Facebook | Facebook.

Hey! I was just wondering if there's any acceptance rates of those matriculating anywhere? I'm trying to find some and can't at all. I'm interested in the program but kind of concerned by the lack of info.

Hey! I was just wondering if there's any acceptance rates of those matriculating anywhere? I'm trying to find some and can't at all. I'm interested in the program but kind of concerned by the lack of info.
Hi OneWayTrack,
The acceptance rate from the BMS program to professional school is 84%. That number includes students who were accepted into medical, dental, & PA schools. We are working to get that information out soon, but we still have students on waitlists. If you have more specific questions please email our office!

- 7 anesthesia
- 1 derm
- 8 EM
- 1 EM/IM
- 41 FM
- 8 gen surg
- 17 IM
- 4 med/peds
- 4 OB
- 3 ortho
- 11 peds
- 4 PM&R
- 2 prelim surg
- 6 psych
- 3 radiology
- 4 TRI

Would you mind telling us what specialties the "cool matches" were in? Thank you.

Would you mind telling us what specialties the "cool matches" were in? Thank you.

mxk01,
At Harvard our student matched in Psychiatry and our student at Wash U St Louis matched PM&R. In the next post we will attach our match results, but we plan on having that information on our website within the next month.

Last edited:
Attached is our D.O. Class of 2017 Residency Placement map. 60% of the class matched ACGME, 34% matched AOA, & 6% matched military.

Attachments

• MUCOM_Class2017_Residency_Apr17-rd3.pdf
    581.7 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: 4 users
mxk01,
At Harvard our student matched in Psychiatry and our student at Wash U St Louis matched Family Medicine. In the next post we will attach our match results, but we plan on having that information on our website within the next month.

FYI mxk01: There's an error in the above post. Wash U was not family medicine, the person matched a categorical PM&R spot.

FYI mxk01: There's an error in the above post. Wash U was not family medicine, the person matched a categorical PM&R spot.

Not to sound dumb, but what is a "categorical PM&R spot?"

Not to sound dumb, but what is a "categorical PM&R spot?"

It's not dumb! PM&R is one of the specialties that requires an intern year beforehand (others: anesthesiology, radiology, derm, neurology, radiation oncology, ophtho, urology). Some programs have the intern year attached (these are called categorical) and others don't (these are called advanced). If you match to an advanced program you have to separately match to an internship program (these are your transitional years, preliminary medicine and preliminary surgery programs) for the first year too, and could live in two different places altogether. I just felt the need to say categorical because these are notoriously harder to get because people don't want to be training in a different institution for a year, have the potential of moving twice, and want to do their entire training in one place.

Sorry that was a super longwinded answer. But the fact the person is also doing a medicine related internship at wash u is pretty cool

FYI I really learned all about this when applying to residencies last year so don't feel bad, you don't really need to know yet anyways!

Sorry if this was already addressed, but I'm relatively new to SDN. I just wanted to know if fall tuition was really due by July 15? Does that seem a little early or am I just naive?
Thanks!

Anyone else still on the waitlist?

Anyone else still on the waitlist?

Yes. And They are still pulling from the waitlist. I've been in contact with Bryan. He told me on Monday that he had a verbal confirmation of someone else withdrawing.

Sorry if this was already addressed, but I'm relatively new to SDN. I just wanted to know if fall tuition was really due by July 15? Does that seem a little early or am I just naive?
Thanks!
I believe that if you plan to take out loans, so long as you have those loans in place by July 15th you should be okay. I could be mistaken, but this was my interpretation. They sent out information regarding this via snail mail about one month ago.