Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cancelled my interview for 4/1... hope it goes to one of you on pre-interview hold! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Submitted my secondary on 3/1. Completed and under review. Has anyone who applied around this time heard back yet?
Yes,
i emailed them yesterday morning asking when I'd hear something as I have a commitment deadline to another school and then they said i'd hear back in the next week but i got a rejection email 2 hours later

Members don't see this ad :)
4th year here... matched into my top choice residency.. our match stats were amazing this year, 98.5% post scramble. I don't know where the official data is posted, but that is what they said at our match party yesterday. Most of my classmates got their top 2 choices in competitive specialties including interventional radiology, dermatology, emergency medicine , PM&R, anesthesiology, and more.

Reactions: 9 users
4th year here... matched into my top choice residency.. our match stats were amazing this year, 98.5% post scramble. I don't know where the official data is posted, but that is what they said at our match party yesterday. Most of my classmates got their top 2 choices in competitive specialties including interventional radiology, dermatology, emergency medicine , PM&R, anesthesiology, and more.

That is fantastic!!! Congratulations and thank you *so* much for posting this. Makes me that much more excited about this school :D

What did you match into? If you don't mind me asking... Also what's post scramble? And what do people do if they dont match?

i matched into emergency medicine.
Scramble is the process of trying to match into a residency if you didn't match based on your rank list. You basically go through all the available open spots in different specialties and try to get a residency anywhere. I only know of a handful of people who had to do that, but the official stats are not available as to how many students had to scramble.

Reactions: 1 user
i matched into emergency medicine.
Scramble is the process of trying to match into a residency if you didn't match based on your rank list. You basically go through all the available open spots in different specialties and try to get a residency anywhere. I only know of a handful of people who had to do that, but the official stats are not available as to how many students had to scramble.

So say you had to scramble but you really wanted day peds and you scrambled and got matched into internal med - after a certain time in internal med can you switch to peds?

:ninja:

Last edited:
Question: I haven't taken sociology as an intro class but I've taken a ton of anthro classes which I'm not sure if those count or not. I received an II so does that mean I meet all of their requirements? I don't want to go and possibly get accepted and be screwed if I needed sociology

Question: I haven't taken sociology as an intro class but I've taken a ton of anthro classes which I'm not sure if those count or not. I received an II so does that mean I meet all of their requirements? I don't want to go and possibly get accepted and be screwed if I needed sociology

You can get an interview without all of the prereqs.

II yesterday...only 2 interview dates left! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering....is the school diverse? I'm not Catholic, but the school seems to be religious in nature (this is the feeling I got when I went for my interview). That's cool with me, but I don't want to feel like the only one who isn't Catholic in the program. What I'm trying to ask here is if the school is diverse in terms of having students from different religions and ethnic backgrounds so I don't feel like a minority. Any input is appreciated:)
Thanks.

anyone heard from the BMS program in regards to acceptances/rejections?

I was just wondering....is the school diverse? I'm not Catholic, but the school seems to be religious in nature (this is the feeling I got when I went for my interview). That's cool with me, but I don't want to feel like the only one who isn't Catholic in the program. What I'm trying to ask here is if the school is diverse in terms of having students from different religions and ethnic backgrounds so I don't feel like a minority. Any input is appreciated:)
Thanks.
The religious tone of the campus has never been an issue at the COM. We have a diverse group of religions and atheists. The Franciscan values are used as a template but not forced upon you. I am not catholic either and have never felt any pressure from the administration, staff, or classmates.

Just got my waitlist email today, interviewed last Saturday 3/18, but I am remaining hopeful :) I was really impressed by this school so hopefully good news comes in May when they start picking at the list.

Just got my waitlist email today, interviewed last Saturday 3/18, but I am remaining hopeful :) I was really impressed by this school so hopefully good news comes in May when they start picking at the list.[/QUOTE

What was your MCAT, sGPA, and cGPA?

Just got my waitlist email today, interviewed last Saturday 3/18, but I am remaining hopeful :) I was really impressed by this school so hopefully good news comes in May when they start picking at the list.

511, 3.61 and 3.63 and a couple months of MA work after I graduated in December! Does anyone know if it's a thing to call and ask where one ranks on the wait list...? I have a couple waitlists but 0 acceptances so it would be dope to know how long I have to gamble before starting a whole new application for the next cycle in June lol

511, 3.61 and 3.63 and a couple months of MA work after I graduated in December! Does anyone know if it's a thing to call and ask where one ranks on the wait list...? I have a couple waitlists but 0 acceptances so it would be dope to know how long I have to gamble before starting a whole new application for the next cycle in June lol
I have heard that they don't disclose any information regarding the waitlist. It might be worth a shot to call and ask, though!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got put on the interview waitlist. Not sure what to expect at this point with basically only a week left. :/

Interviewed March 18th. I got an email saying that my file will be reviewed March 30th. It's so nerve-wracking!

Anyone else not have an attachment on the residency placement email that was sent this morning?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Looks like they sent the email with the attachment. Anyone know where we can find the specific hospitals with the specialty each student got into?

Woohoo! Got my II! Nothing like interviewing on the last possible day!:soexcited: Any tips are appreciated!

Has anybody gotten news or updates from Marian about the waitlist that they'd like to share?

Looks like they sent the email with the attachment. Anyone know where we can find the specific hospitals with the specialty each student got into?
The email said to watch for it in the near future.

Woohoo! Got my II! Nothing like interviewing on the last possible day!:soexcited: Any tips are appreciated!
Look up how MMI interviews are formatted if you're not familiar with them. Also, if there are any blemishes on your application be sure to bring them up with your interviewers. Aside from that my interview experience at Marian was great. Nice faculty/students and the COM building is really nice.

Look up how MMI interviews are formatted if you're not familiar with them. Also, if there are any blemishes on your application be sure to bring them up with your interviewers. Aside from that my interview experience at Marian was great. Nice faculty/students and the COM building is really nice.

Thanks! Will do!

Just got my acceptance email!! I'm so excited to start here in the fall!

Got placed in the alternate list! So happy!!? :)
Anyone have an idea about how many people get accepted off the alternate list? the e-mail seems to suggests that the committee thinks that we've a 'very real likelihood to gain admission'. What does that mean?

Just got accepted to a school in my home state of Illinois! I'll be withdrawing my application from Marian soon hopefully someone deserving gets it!

Does anyone know how many interview days are left? Just curious, I've been on the wait list for a while (since November) and am still holding out!

Does anyone know how many interview days are left? Just curious, I've been on the wait list for a while (since November) and am still holding out!
I believe today was the last interview day.

Yes, today was the last day! They said between Friday and Saturday they interviewed 33 people and there are 19 spots left in the incoming class. They told us it will be about 1-3 weeks for the final decisions. And then I assume, based on responses and other schools waitlist movement, that Marian will start pulling from their waitlist. :)

Yes, today was the last day! They said between Friday and Saturday they interviewed 33 people and there are 19 spots left in the incoming class. They told us it will be about 1-3 weeks for the final decisions. And then I assume, based on responses and other schools waitlist movement, that Marian will start pulling from their waitlist. :)

That leads me to believe they've already been pulling off from the waitlist. I've heard this school has a history of accepting upwards of 40% of people from the waitlist. But then again that number could've just been specific to that year...

That leads me to believe they've already been pulling off from the waitlist. I've heard this school has a history of accepting upwards of 40% of people from the waitlist. But then again that number could've just been specific to that year...

Is it that 40% of waitlisters get accepted or that 40% of the class ends up consisting of people who were on the waitlist?

Withdrew my acceptance here a couple months ago but I was accepted off the waitlist. It really came out of nowhere with no warning so for those on the waitlist stay patient and good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my acceptance here a couple months ago but I was accepted off the waitlist. It really came out of nowhere with no warning so for those on the waitlist stay patient and good luck!
That's encouraging, a nice change of pace from the stuff that usually just freaks me out, thank you!

Anybody else wanting to delay this $2,000 tuition deposit due May 1st?

Anybody else wanting to delay this $2,000 tuition deposit due May 1st?
I'm sure all of the waitlisted people are anxiously awaiting that deadline, myself included :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Just add myself to the waitlist... at least it can't get longer; this was the last round of regular acceptance.