LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I believe I saw a thread about this, and if so I apologize. I am just wondering if I can E-submit my pharmcas app, even though I only have two LOR in (waiting on two more). I read a post saying that it was OK, but I have also seen posts saying that you need everything to submit. Also, if my LOR isn't in before a school's deadline am I SOL? Thanks for the info, and if all this info is already out there, just a link would be helpful :) I guess.

Thanks,
Adam S.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe there are specific rules against family members writing lors, and if there aren't, I know for a fact it is HIGHLY touted. They want people to actually work at getting to know a pharmacist, not ride familial coat tails. I would say yes he is absolutely somebody in the family. I'm sure if he had a different last name you could get away with it but why not get some experience, volunteer, work as a tech, and earn the respect of a recommender?

From your previous posts I am assuming your uncle in-law is a pharmacist. If you want to be considered a competitive applicant you will need pharmacy experience. Provided you have or get experience and then out of nowhere bring a random LOR from your uncle in-law, the admissions commitee is going to want to know why you didn't get a LOR from the pharmacist you worked under. What will your uncle in-law say you have done for him in the pharmacy? Is your plan to have him lie and make things up? I guess my point is there is no good way to go about asking a family member and odds are you will get rolled and/or questioned for doing it. Seems lazy to me, which coincides with your previous threads.

he has different last name.

what do you mean lazy? how do you know i am not planning to get work experience?

well right now he's a supervisor at Walgreens and i am thinking of taking the PTCB test then apply to work with him at walgreens? then do you think it's okay to get him to write me a LOR ?

i mean he offer to write it for me. he knowed me for 11 years and i didnt know if they'd accept a LOR so i thought it might be helpful to ask here,
if you dont have a good thing to say just dont post at all plz

i am not a genius that's why i ask question. if you guys are all genius plz just ignore my post.

and please i ask a simple question if you dont have a good answear to it just dont reply at all thanks so much :D.. i am not here to ask for your judgement on myself.

Last edited:
he has different last name.

what do you mean lazy? how do you know i am not planning to get work experience?

well right now he's a supervisor at Walgreens and i am thinking of taking the PTCB test then apply to work with him at walgreens? then do you think it's okay to get him to write me a LOR ?

i mean he offer to write it for me. he knowed me for 11 years and i didnt know if they'd accept a LOR so i thought it might be helpful to ask here,
if you dont have a good thing to say just dont post at all plz

i am not a genius that's why i ask question. if you guys are all genius plz just ignore my post.

What part of uncle don't you understand? I realize you say you are not a genius, so I'll spell it out for you. U-N-C-L-E = R-E-L-A-T-I-V-E.

As far as the laziness comments go, you, for some reason, refuse to search the threads here and do research on your own. Also, you do not capitalize anything. Your grammar is horrible, but I don't know if it is due to laziness or not. You are taking too many short-cuts trying to have people do your work for you. Take the time to do your own research. Did you know you could call and speak with someone at UH?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Co-workers means people at the same level as you. You want a supervisor, so a pharmacist is fine.

The other two are so people submit letters that evaluate them professionally, such as work ethic, desire to learn, etc. Friends and family members can't evaluate you subjectively.

lazy lazy *tsk:thumbdown:

lazy lazy *tsk:thumbdown:

You really don't get it, do you?

You'll probably score a 2 in the reading comprehension section on the PCAT.

It should be intuitively obvious that from my question, "would this not rule out every pharmacist?" I believed that a pharmacist, if he/she were a friend, family member, or co-worker, could not write a letter of recommendation.

This is an example of a legitimate question. Your's on the other hand, is not. You come out and claim to be related to a pharmacist and wonder if he is not considered to be related to you.

What part of uncle don't you understand? I realize you say you are not a genius, so I'll spell it out for you. U-N-C-L-E = R-E-L-A-T-I-V-E.

As far as the laziness comments go, you, for some reason, refuse to search the threads here and do research on your own. Also, you do not capitalize anything. Your grammar is horrible, but I don't know if it is due to laziness or not. You are taking too many short-cuts trying to have people do your work for you. Take the time to do your own research. Did you know you could call and speak with someone at UH?

oh thanks so much you saved my life

Hi, I believe I saw a thread about this, and if so I apologize. I am just wondering if I can E-submit my pharmcas app, even though I only have two LOR in (waiting on two more). I read a post saying that it was OK, but I have also seen posts saying that you need everything to submit. Also, if my LOR isn't in before a school's deadline am I SOL? Thanks for the info, and if all this info is already out there, just a link would be helpful :) I guess.

Thanks,
Adam S.

let me spell it for you O-K-a-Y ?

got it?

not yet?

how about O-K?

how about "google" type "letter of recommendation"

click "im feeling lucky" or maybe "search"

good luck

Thanks,
Adam S.

Yes you can submit, PharmCAS will send your updated info to the schools as it comes in.
And I'm pretty sure that schools require all materials before the deadline. But I'd call the schools you're interested in to double check.
Good luck!

PS: Your stats are amazing, good for you!

You really don't get it, do you?

You'll probably score a 2 in the reading comprehension section on the PCAT.

It should be intuitively obvious that from my question, "would this not rule out every pharmacist?" I believed that a pharmacist, if he/she were a friend, family member, or co-worker, could not write a letter of recommendation.

This is an example of a legitimate question. Your's on the other hand, is not. You come out and claim to be related to a pharmacist and wonder if he is not considered to be related to you.

w/e man no one care about you

you proberly got a 1 1/2 on the PCAT :D mr.psychic

Members don't see this ad :)
[

Last edited:
i know this is a weird question.

but can my uncle inlaw write me a letter of recommendation?

would university of houston accept it?

or would he be be someone in the family?

I know about 6 people who have never worked in a Pharmacy before and used connections such as friends, relative (with different last name), close friend of close friend, etc... to get a LOR. Most of them got in. I'm not saying it's right.. but its common. We all use our connections to our benefits.. thats what "social networking" is...

The mistake that You've made, tommyle, is that you posted on a public forum asking if its Ok. It's like posting on the NBC forum asking if its ok to pirate their tv shows. Its not a surprise that you're getting flamed by people because 1. its wrong and 2. people who does not have the same privilage as you are jealoused.

Final word, it works best to your own benefit in the long run to be familiar in a working Pharmacy environment.

w/e man no one care about you

you proberly got a 1 1/2 on the PCAT :D mr.psychic

unfortunately, you cannot get a 1.5 on the PCAT.
Regardless, can you please stop with the bantering? You're distracting people from getting good answers to legitimate questions. If you have genuine concerns that you'd like help with, please post those and people will be more than happy to help. By creating problems on all of these threads you are helping no one, not even yourself.

This is not a leter I would send to a professor - just my personal opinion. This letter drags the topic and uses very short sentences. And I would never tell a professor that it is OK to ignore e-mails. It is their obligation to address student needs.

agreed.

Yes you can submit, PharmCAS will send your updated info to the schools as it comes in.
And I'm pretty sure that schools require all materials before the deadline. But I'd call the schools you're interested in to double check.
Good luck!

PS: Your stats are amazing, good for you!

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the kind words as well!

tommyle... thanks for the clutter I guess? You continue to fill this forum with nothing but the best posts...

I'm thinking that as long as you've been working, volunteering, or shadowing under the pharmacist who is your friend or a relative, then it shouldn't be a problem because they cannot track it down. If the pharmacist is one of your parents, then I guess you can't use it because you have to state your parents' information on PharmCAS right? Well, you started this thread back in July, so I hope you did find a pharmacist to write a letter for you.

let me spell it for you O-K-a-Y ?

got it?

not yet?

how about O-K?

how about "google" type "letter of recommendation"

click "im feeling lucky" or maybe "search"

good luck

You continue to amaze me with the nonsense you post. At least this OP has a sincere post seaking advice in the absence of lazyness. Also, if you ever intend to become a pharmacist I suggest you learn the appropriate use for the quotation mark.

I know about 6 people who have never worked in a Pharmacy before and used connections such as friends, relative (with different last name), close friend of close friend, etc... to get a LOR. Most of them got in. I'm not saying it's right.. but its common. We all use our connections to our benefits.. thats what "social networking" is...

The mistake that You've made, tommyle, is that you posted on a public forum asking if its Ok. It's like posting on the NBC forum asking if its ok to pirate their tv shows. Its not a surprise that you're getting flamed by people because 1. its wrong and 2. people who does not have the same privilage as you are jealoused.

Final word, it works best to your own benefit in the long run to be familiar in a working Pharmacy environment.

ooh i understand now.

thanks so much triton :D

just what i was looking for.. i knew there was a way it would work, if not my uncle wouldnt offer to write it for me.

sorry to ask this question

This is How I do to hurry up my professor:

......Whether I have your recommendation or not, I will always want to
be in your class again.

Wow, very sentimental.

You've probably already done it, but what I did was I visited them and told them the deadline was coming up and I needed them to be done. Makes more of an impact than an email!

i know this is a weird question.

but can my uncle inlaw write me a letter of recommendation?

would university of houston accept it?

or would he be be someone in the family?

Can your uncle write me a letter too? I believe it won't be any problem for Pharmacy school.

If you asked them to write it in May and they still haven't done anything yet, it is obvious that they do not have you in mind nor do they have intentions to write you a good letter. Hence, if they end up writing you one, it is probably not going to be a great letter. I would ask someone else for your LOR.

I am also having troubles getting my last two from professors. I have talked to both of them on several occasions asking if they had any questions and they keep telling me they will have them done by the end of the week. So it is week 3 and still no recommendations. I'm thinking if they don't have them done by the end of this week I will email them in one last attempt to get them to wrap up. If no response I will look elsewhere.

Guys,

I have searched everywhere for this answer but can't find the answer for this question.

I have this one class that I really like which is called British/American Literature and was wondering if I should get my first LOR from him? Even though I am in my first semester, wouldn't it be good to have the first LOR in a general education course in your first year and then next year I get two more LOR in science related courses?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Well, regardless of how much you say you like the course, it will all depend on your relationship with the professor. If you can make some good ties with him, go for it. Moreover (and perhaps more importantly), anytime you think you can get a letter, get it, because it doesn't mean you have to use it when it's game time. Perhaps later you get 3 more letters that you feel are stronger then you can just use those and nix the first one. You just don't want to be all set to apply and have 1/2 of a letter from a janitor who cleans your apt complex bathrooms and wrote it with a black crayon he found in the street. The more letters, the greater the pool you have to choose from.

You continue to amaze me with the nonsense you post. At least this OP has a sincere post seaking advice in the absence of lazyness. Also, if you ever intend to become a pharmacist I suggest you learn the appropriate use for the quotation mark.

thanks daddy

Well, regardless of how much you say you like the course, it will all depend on your relationship with the professor. If you can make some good ties with him, go for it. Moreover (and perhaps more importantly), anytime you think you can get a letter, get it, because it doesn't mean you have to use it when it's game time. Perhaps later you get 3 more letters that you feel are stronger then you can just use those and nix the first one. You just don't want to be all set to apply and have 1/2 of a letter from a janitor who cleans your apt complex bathrooms and wrote it with a black crayon he found in the street. The more letters, the greater the pool you have to choose from.

Lol, you are funny!!:laugh:

Anyways, yeah he is a fair person and treats me nice like everyone else so maybe I should ask him one of these days.....

Another question, should I ask him to do the LOR now or after the semester finish so then he can work on the LOR over break?

Last edited:
Ask him when the semester is over but make sure you are going to ace the class haha. I gather from your previous posts that you are a freshman, so there is no rush to get the thing from him. Since you seem like such an on-the-ball-kid, really concentrate on gunning for your science letters, hard. Ace the class, ask the professor if they are involved in any research or activities outside the course that you can get involved in (provided you really want to), get involved, help out, and you will have a dynamite letter and excellent extra curricular experience that really will open doors for you in the future. I did the same, had a blast doing research for our biochem dept., got an award for undergraduate researcher of the year, and got a letter that was CLUTCH.

I like where your head's at.

Ask him when the semester is over but make sure you are going to ace the class haha. I gather from your previous posts that you are a freshman, so there is no rush to get the thing from him. Since you seem like such an on-the-ball-kid, really concentrate on gunning for your science letters, hard. Ace the class, ask the professor if they are involved in any research or activities outside the course that you can get involved in (provided you really want to), get involved, help out, and you will have a dynamite letter and excellent extra curricular experience that really will open doors for you in the future. I did the same, had a blast doing research for our biochem dept., got an award for undergraduate researcher of the year, and got a letter that was CLUTCH.

I like where your head's at.

Wow, congratulations! Where do you go to school now??

I have plans for the future but I can't talk about them now or else someone else will take my glory....:laugh:

Also, thank you for the responses!

Well, I won't be going to school until August when Fall'09 pharm school starts. I'm 99% sure where I'm going but I got a few more interviews since my acceptance so I figure, I paid the $, wrote the supps, I might as well check out the school.

You got a master plan brewing eh?

Well, I won't be going to school until August when Fall'09 pharm school starts. I'm 99% sure where I'm going but I got a few more interviews since my acceptance so I figure, I paid the $, wrote the supps, I might as well check out the school.

You got a master plan brewing eh?

LOL, of course! My master plan is in my cauldron, ready to be brewed in a two years.

For right now though, I am only stirring and adding ingrediants...:laugh:

(just a little halloween joke, folks!)

Edit: I am a little curious though, how many LOR did you have throughout your undergrad years??

Well, I only had 5 total because I got started late in the game. Some of my friends had upwards of 8-10. They submitted them to a committee on campus who evaluated them and chose the best 3 or 4 to send to schools (since you obviously can't view them yourself)

Well, I only had 5 total because I got started late in the game. Some of my friends had upwards of 8-10. They submitted them to a committee on campus who evaluated them and chose the best 3 or 4 to send to schools (since you obviously can't view them yourself)

Oh damn! Its not going to be like high school recommendation letters! I never knew about this, thank you for the info again!!:thumbup::thumbup:

But why are they doing this? Are they trying to prevent you from reading the LOR because then you can't edit them or what?

Guys,

I have searched everywhere for this answer but can't find the answer for this question.

I have this one class that I really like which is called British/American Literature and was wondering if I should get my first LOR from him? Even though I am in my first semester, wouldn't it be good to have the first LOR in a general education course in your first year and then next year I get two more LOR in science related courses?

What do you think?

I think you should go for it, sometimes you just have this gut feeling about people and can tell if someone will give you a good reference. Last year I asked my pchem professor ( 2 months after the class started) to give me a reference because I was acing his class and he said that it's no problem. He only knew me for a bit but could tell I'm hard working.I didn't get in last year, but I know the reference letter he gave me was excellent.

I think you should go for it, sometimes you just have this gut feeling about people and can tell if someone will give you a good reference. Last year I asked my pchem professor ( 2 months after the class started) to give me a reference because I was acing his class and he said that it's no problem. He only knew me for a bit but could tell I'm hard working.I didn't get in last year, but I know the reference letter he gave me was excellent.

Great advise!

I understand what you mean about the gut feeling. I felt it ever since when he asked me after class if he can borrow my book, Barack Obama's Dreams of my Father, so then he can discuss in class about what I found, which was about Obama's view on Heart of Darkness (This happened like two days ago!) All I need to do now is ask him for a LOR one of these days...

by the way, so you think it is better to ask the professors during the semester to work on the LOR? My essays (only thing he is grading except for a final exam in the end of the semester) for the semester so far is:
B, C, C, B+, B+, A-, A-. Basically, I have a B in this class and should I wait until I get an A or ask him next class which is on tuesday?

Last edited:
Great advise!
the way, so you think it is better to ask the professors during the semester to work on the LOR? My essays (only thing he is grading except for a final exam in the end of the semester) for the semester so far is:
B, C, C, B+, B+, A-, A-. Basically, I have a B in this class and should I wait until I get an A or ask him next class which is on tuesday?

I'm confused. Are you an applicant this cycle? If not there isn't any rush. You ask when you finish the course. At the earliest, I asked when I finished my final. I usually waited for my final grade before asking.

I'm confused. Are you an applicant this cycle? If not there isn't any rush. You ask when you finish the course. At the earliest, I asked when I finished my final. I usually waited for my final grade before asking.

I stated in my first post that this is my first semester in college but I wanted to point out though, isn't asking a professor after final a little harsh? I mean, don't they deserve to have a break during winter vacation?

I stated in my first post that this is my first semester in college but I wanted to point out though, isn't asking a professor after final a little harsh? I mean, don't they deserve to have a break during winter vacation?

I guess I'll explain why I am confused. Since LORs are reported through PharmCAS. I don't know how an LOR can be useful if asked years prior to applying. If you're asking now, I would assume you were using an LOR storage program through your university/college. Pharmacy is a little different than any other program in the way it handles LORs in that they are centralized (meaning they are sent through something like PharmCAS, which distributes the copies to all your pharmacy schools). As a result, I could only imagine you fostering your relationship with your professor (taking more classes or indulging in more activities with the professor like previous posts mentioned) in order for them to be useful to your application.

They do deserve a break, but you don't really control when a professor writes the letter for you. Yes they deserve a break, but at the same time they work during the academic year. A letter is written out of the desire to represent you. Either way it is extra work, so it doesn't really matter. I only recommend waiting until the end, so that they can include your performance in the letter. What kind of letter can be written about your performance in class you haven't finished? LORs I have received in the past took at least 3 months to process after I first asked.

Edit: Although I did ask my professor at my final, most of my requests were when my final grades were already compiled. At the university level, your professors work all-year. They don't really have breaks, they just stop teaching for a while.

Last edited:
The OP would have to use a program provided by his university to store the lors. He obviously couldn't use Elors and I doubt he knows what elors are this early in the game. You raise a good point thought because I can't imagine having to mail out paper letters as PharmCas states it can take weeks upon weeks for these things to be verified.

i needs your daughter.

where's my wife?

it's almost blow time already!!!
I seriously do not know what to make of you, i really dont. How old are you again? Since you started posting you have not made any constructive posts or threads. Please we do not want to flame you when you post. We just want you to have a little more effort in your posts and searches.

can i add a letter of rec after i've e-submitted my app to another school through pharmcas?