LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're taking gen chem with Barber right? Shes a very nice lady. Just stop in her office hours or see her after class occasionally and make sure she knows that you are willing to work hard for a good grade. If you ask her I think she will definitely say yes.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to be in the field of Pharmacy Informatics, which means I do not want to work at retail. That's why I haven't been pursuing a job at a retail pharmacy. I just learned how strict UOP is with their LoR from a pharmacist requirement. Since I've never worked at a pharmacy before, what do you guys recommend me doing? UOP suggested that I can find a Pharmacist who is willing to interview me and write a letter base on that. But it's been so hard finding one who is willing to do that. Any tips/recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Please dont tell me to not apply at UOP because I really don't think this simple obstacle is worth me giving up applying to the school... I just simply need to find a way to overcome it. I am also actively looking for a job at a retail right now but no one is calling me back.. probably because I don't have any experience as a Technician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about Kang. I have yet to take Micro. But I hear that he is a very nice and laid back individual. If you get to know him well then it would definitely not hurt to ask.

Each school need 3 LoR, if I apply 5 schools, I have to find 15 LoR. How can I do?

You can use the same LORs for each school. Just make sure those letters aren't addressed to one specific institution.

try going to a hospital pharmacy.......worse case scenario, work at a hospital pharmacy anyway u can (as a tech or volunteer) for a couple of months then ask pharmacist again if they are reluctant to give u one the first go round

...and make minor changes, so that it pertains to that schools req. unless they have all the same questions

So, I have a question.

My father is a pharmacist and is the main reason I feel passionate about pursuing a pharmacy degree. With my mother being a nurse and my father being a retail pharmacist manager, I grew up with health-care and pharmacy in my blood.

Now, I'm going back to school to complete my pre-reqs and taking quite an accelerated class load... approx 16 units each semester including a full courseload during the summers. I really don't believe I'll have time to take a part time job or even a volunteer position at a pharmacy.

Considering that my father knows me best and I've spent numerous years shadowing him in the pharmacy, would it be to my benefit to get a letter of recommendation from him? I know it would be perceived as bias, but in all honesty he does know me best.

1) would this actually count toward my license pharmacist LOR?
2) If so, would it be seen in good or bad light?
3) If I cannot get a LOR from my father, how would one do so without actually working or volunteering in a pharmacy environment?

i know that some schools forbid letter of recommendations from family members. an example would be Western University. If you had shadowed in the pharmacy, I suggest you have one of the pharmacist that works under your father to write a letter of recommendation. good luck~

not a good idea having family members write LOR's, even if he is a pharmacist. Most schools don't allow LORs written by family members, and there is no way anyone in their right mind will overlook the bias (its not perceived).

If you say you have "spent numerous years" shadowing your father, you must have met another pharmacist down the line that would write you a LOR, because your father does not work alone (especially if he is indeed a manager).

I'm sure all schools would not accept a parent writing your LOR. I hope someone on this forum would prove me wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think any schools take LOR's from family members or friends, so instead use your dad's position as a way to get some easy showing experience. If he's a pharmacy manager then I'm sure he knows the other pharmacists well, just have him ask do you mind if my son comes in to shadow for a few hours on day x?

Yeah i suppose I could always get another pharmacist at his pharmacy to write up a letter of recommendation... yet the problem is that most of them have very little hold of English...

Maybe I could just write one up for myself and have them proof and sign them?

Yeah i suppose I could always get another pharmacist at his pharmacy to write up a letter of recommendation... yet the problem is that most of them have very little hold of English...

Maybe I could just write one up for myself and have them proof and sign them?
While that would be illegal, no one could prove it if written correctly.

I'm in bit of a pickle for academic LOR currently and I was hoping to get some opinions. I'm trying to decide between a english graduate student who taught me composition or a microbio lab professor (with PH.D and all) who I had a lab section with.
I know microbio professor look good on paper because of his position but I feel that he knows me like any other student in the class--meaning that I didn't quite stand out or anything.
On the other hand, this engish grad student really enjoyed my essays (and even used it as models for the following quarter) but would it seem odd to get an LOR from someone in the english department?? and would it look horrible because she's a grad student?

Also, I'm only required 1 professional LOR but I could get 2 if I wanted (both pharmacist promised to write good stuff too). Would it be unnecessary to send in 2 or would that boost my application?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in bit of a pickle for academic LOR currently and I was hoping to get some opinions. I'm trying to decide between a english graduate student who taught me composition or a microbio lab professor (with PH.D and all) who I had a lab section with.
I know microbio professor look good on paper because of his position but I feel that he knows me like any other student in the class--meaning that I didn't quite stand out or anything.
On the other hand, this engish grad student really enjoyed my essays (and even used it as models for the following quarter) but would it seem odd to get an LOR from someone in the english department?? and would it look horrible because she's a grad student?

Also, I'm only required 1 professional LOR but I could get 2 if I wanted (both pharmacist promised to write good stuff too). Would it be unnecessary to send in 2 or would that boost my application?

Thanks in advance!

Some schools require that a LOR be from a professor, so the grad student would not work. Others however, (like UIC for example) will accept letters from TA's/teachers who aren't professors, so the grad student who knows you better would be a much better option. I personally had a little bit of a hard time getting a LOR from a science professor because all of my science classes are huge, but I provided one of them with my personal statement, resume, and transcripts and he was more than happy to write me one. Many consider it part of their job. If you don't know the professor that well I would also suggest meeting with him/her a couple times so they get to know you better and actually remember who you are, along with giving them the above information.

Also if a school requires only one professional LOR and you send in two, only one of them will be looked at, so save yourself the trouble.

Last edited:
thanks for you help, but do you think its weird for a english major to write a LOR for me instead of someone from the science department?

thanks for you help, but do you think its weird for a english major to write a LOR for me instead of someone from the science department?

In my opinion, unless you specifically need a LOR from a science professor/teacher, the level to which the person knows you is more important than what department they're from.

I want to email one of my past teachers for a LOR. How would i go about it? Thanks

use search bar...there are plenty of these topics

My evaluators agreed back in May to write me a strong LOR.
I have 1 of 3.
How do I tell them (politely) to hurry up!?

Anyone advice? please.

Just call or e-mail them and remind them that the deadline is coming up soon, you need to finalize your app, etc. They'll get the point.

just give them a call and ask for an update on the status.
and remind them of deadlines, etc.

I would pop in there office and say hello first, and remind them about the LOR. I would also go around to look for additional professors/supervisors who are willing to write a LOR. LORs are time sensitive! Be active and don't just wait around!--- the more your wait, the less likely you can get into pharmacy school! so do it do it!! =)

I have 1 of 3.

Anyone advice? please.

I would send them a thank you card for writing the lor and that should remind them to finish it.

I was waiting for 4 weeks. I finally sent them an email saying that the deadline for apps was the coming friday. I had them received by pharmcas within 24 hours of the email being sent :smuggrin:

I have 1 of 3.

Anyone advice? please.

Add your name to this thread and forward them the link via email :)

Hello all,

I've recently asked a professor to write me a LOR for next year's application, and he's asking me what the admission boards specifically look for in their letters.

Do any of you guys know? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Hasn't he written any LORs yet during his teaching career?:rolleyes:

once you give pharmcas his email, they'll send him an email giving him some questions to answer and they'll tell him what they are looking for.

So for all LOR's, you basically just give them Pharmcas. They don't send any physical ones? Or are those for supplemental?

Thanks

So for all LOR's, you basically just give them Pharmcas. They don't send any physical ones? Or are those for supplemental?

Thanks

When you are filling out the recommendors section of PharmCAS, it will ask for names and email addresses of your recommendors. Once you have that in, PharmCAS will send an email to your recommendors. This email will have a link that will take them to the form they need to fill out to complete your recommendation. There are no supplemental LORs.
Hope that helps!

When you are filling out the recommendors section of PharmCAS, it will ask for names and email addresses of your recommendors. Once you have that in, PharmCAS will send an email to your recommendors. This email will have a link that will take them to the form they need to fill out to complete your recommendation. There are no supplemental LORs.
Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot alenadoma! :):):)

Why are my friends who are currently applying complaining of supplemental applications? Or that doesn't include the letters? :confused:

Thanks a lot alenadoma! :):):)

Why are my friends who are currently applying complaining of supplemental applications? Or that doesn't include the letters? :confused:

supplemental applications are applications that you fill out for each school to supplement the PharmCAS application. It asks you more specific questions pertaining to that school. Once your recommendors complete the original PharmCAS recommendation, that is all they have to do. You should go to the PharmCAS website and read up some more about the entire application process before proceeding with any applications.

I have 1 of 3.

Anyone advice? please.

Just say Hey, I was finishing up my pharmacy application and I noticed that the site said you hadn't completed the LOR. Did they screw something up or did it not file right?" If worse comes to worse, very nicely say the deadline is ... and I'd really REALLY appreciate it if you could finish up that reference for me. Thank you. Worked for me :)

This is How I do to hurry up my professor:

First Letter:
Dear Prof. X,
>
>I am so grateful of you for teaching Biochemistry I. I had a great
>opportunity to be in your Biochem I class in the summer A. I had an A
>and it was really worth an "A". I have learned much of what have been
>covered in every chapter we have been through. Now I am taking Biochem
>II at Boca, and much of the stuffs I learned from Biochem I appears
>again in Biochem II. The knowledge that I learned from your Biochem I
>class will have a great impact for my Pharmacy School later. In fact,
>I am applying to Pharmacy Schools this month such as Nova Southerneast
>University, West Palm Beach Atlantic, and University o Florida. One of
>the most important factors that the school selects student is Letter of
>Recommedation from the Professor. I can't think of noone else but
>You. It will be my pleasure to have your recommendation letter to
>fullfill my greatest qualification. I understand that you are
>extremely busy. Please, feel no trouble for not replying if you are
>busy. Whether I have your recommendation or not, I will always want to
>be in your class again.

Make sure give them sometimes, and always show that you have appreciation for them. Remember, they can write fast, but they can also write craps. You want to make sure that they like you until they finish the letter and summit.

:) Have fun this pharmacy cycle.

Last edited:

First Letter:
Dear Prof. X,
>
>be in your class again.

This is not a leter I would send to a professor - just my personal opinion. This letter drags the topic and uses very short sentences. And I would never tell a professor that it is OK to ignore e-mails. It is their obligation to address student needs.

This is not a leter I would send to a professor - just my personal opinion. This letter drags the topic and uses very short sentences. And I would never tell a professor that it is OK to ignore e-mails. It is their obligation to address student needs.

In my opinion. telling professor OK to ignore does not mean that he or she will. It only means Politely ask for the letter of recommendation at any convenience time. Besides, if you think it is obligation of a professor to write a LOR for student, then he/she will write whatever they think about you. My letter is short, yes, because not many of my professors are free of job. They have million things to do too. Please understand, the principle of asking for help is a appreciation. This way, you have to show that you are in deep appreciation with your professor. And trust me, he or she will sit down and take thier times to write you a strong one. This is also one of the principles of Dale Carnagies in the Book "How to win friend and influence people". I recommend you read it.:love:

In my opinion. telling professor OK to ignore does not mean that he or she will. It only means Politely ask for the letter of recommendation at any convenience time. Besides, if you think it is obligation of a professor to write a LOR for student, then he/she will write whatever they think about you. My letter is short, yes, because not many of my professors are free of job. They have million things to do too. Please understand, the principle of asking for help is a appreciation. This way, you have to show that you are in deep appreciation with your professor. And trust me, he or she will sit down and take thier times to write you a strong one. This is also one of the principles of Dale Carnagies in the Book "How to win friend and influence people". I recommend you read it.:love:

I didnt' say it was their obligation to write a LOR for students, but I did say that it IS an obligation to respond to student e-mails. That's why they're on the institution's payroll, and they get a cut of our tuition money.

And I do show deep appreciation for my professors and LOR authors. I thank them countless times and have given them gifts. I even stop by their office or workplace just to say hi and keep them updated on how I'm doing.

I didnt' say it was their obligation to write a LOR for students, but I did say that it IS an obligation to respond to student e-mails. That's why they're on the institution's payroll, and they get a cut of our tuition money.

And I do show deep appreciation for my professors and LOR authors. I thank them countless times and have given them gifts. I even stop by their office or workplace just to say hi and keep them updated on how I'm doing.
Yeah, but his thread is not about you, if you do that, good for you. That was how I got my LOR. Each person has his own way to do, still appreciation is the underline principle. See how it works for you.

First Letter:
Dear Prof. X,
>
>be in your class again.

Make sure give them sometimes, and always show that you have appreciation for them. Remember, they can write fast, but they can also write craps. You want to make sure that they like you until they finish the letter and summit.

I hope you ran a spelling and grammar check on that bad boy before you actually sent it. It is in dire need of some constructive attention.

Just tell the prof that deadlines are coming up and explain the importance of getting your materials in early, he/she will understand.

i know this is a weird question.

but can my uncle inlaw write me a letter of recommendation?

would university of houston accept it?

or would he be be someone in the family?

I believe there are specific rules against family members writing lors, and if there aren't, I know for a fact it is HIGHLY touted. They want people to actually work at getting to know a pharmacist, not ride familial coat tails. I would say yes he is absolutely somebody in the family. I'm sure if he had a different last name you could get away with it but why not get some experience, volunteer, work as a tech, and earn the respect of a recommender?

From your previous posts I am assuming your uncle in-law is a pharmacist. If you want to be considered a competitive applicant you will need pharmacy experience. Provided you have or get experience and then out of nowhere bring a random LOR from your uncle in-law, the admissions commitee is going to want to know why you didn't get a LOR from the pharmacist you worked under. What will your uncle in-law say you have done for him in the pharmacy? Is your plan to have him lie and make things up? I guess my point is there is no good way to go about asking a family member and odds are you will get rolled and/or questioned for doing it. Seems lazy to me, which coincides with your previous threads.

are you kidding me