Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who interviewed on 2/10 hear back?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well that doesn't look good for those of us interviewing after March 1...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
DO schools interview a bit later than MDs, usually until mid April. And I remember a previous post a week ago said the school just went through a half of their cycle. We still have hope :xf:

Reactions: 2 users
HEY!

The dean was out of town, but he is back and making acceptance calls. I just got mine so I imagine he will be making other calls as well! I interviewed on Feb. 10.

Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted. :)

I was thinking I was outright rejected-- I gave a TERRIBLE interview. I think my stats are what really pulled me through.

Edit: For the people asking, it wasn't the school's fault at all. It was my first interview and I was a lot more nervous than I had anticipated, so I didn't feel as if I gave an accurate representation of myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many spots are left? I have an interview in a few weeks and I'm wondering what my chances are

Does anyone know how many spots are left? I have an interview in a few weeks and I'm wondering what my chances are

None of us will know how many spots are left, only the admissions staff knows. To my knowledge, dcom doesn't interview people only for waitlist spots aka the class is full. If they did, I am 100% that they would make it clear that that is what is happening so that you could make the decision if you still wanted to interview. dcom is not a school with ulterior motives.

To answer your question, if you would like to be a student at dcom, please go to the interview. From years past, they keep interviewing up until the class is full (usually around april or may) then they do a headcount and then go to the waitlisted students). I know that everything costs time and money but if either is a concern for you. I would suggest that you call the admissions staff and inquire on how long that they interview for.

Congrats!! What were your stats, if you don't mind me asking?
I dont mind you asking, but they are pretty bad! you may not believe me! LOL

My cGPA is like 3.8-3.9, science a bit lower (don't know specifics)

great EC's
great essays
great LOR's

NOT great MCAT... you may not believe me... i took it 3 times, 495~ all times, i took it again in Jan don't know score yet. lol yeah i had a lot of explaining to do. but... turns out we are a good fit.

TBH i'm honestly feeling out more schools as we speak but, LMUDCOM seems like a great school and I would love to be a part of the community

Reactions: 5 users

great EC's
great essays
great LOR's

NOT great MCAT... you may not believe me... i took it 3 times, 495~ all times, i took it again in Jan don't know score yet. lol yeah i had a lot of explaining to do. but... turns out we are a good fit.

TBH i'm honestly feeling out more schools as we speak but, LMUDCOM seems like a great school and I would love to be a part of the community

Congrads on your acceptance, did you have to explain your MCAT score in the interview?

I think another member already answered this pretty well, but I just wanted to add this because it's such a unique trait to this school. I did originally think it would be a little weird for people to bring their family to the interview. (Just for reference, my wife was unable to attend with me, so I just went alone.) But I remember thinking it was a strange/different concept because most interviews are pretty formal, if not, really formal. Not to mention I thought it would just be a little awkward for all parties. (Reminds me of the movie Step Brothers! :laugh:) But I couldn't have been more wrong.

LMU really emphasizes family, which is pretty awesome. Out of the people in my interview group (about 30 of us total), a couple of them brought their wives, and maybe one brought a parent, but it was actually really cool. It's an extremely welcoming environment and that's evident from the moment you step in the building. Literally everybody, I simply cannot stress this enough, EVERYBODY was super friendly and conversational. It wasn't awkward at all. In fact, I remember thinking during that I actually kind of wished my wife could've been there to meet the staff and hang out for the day.

From what I know and remember, the spouses are pretty much with you the entire time except for during the interview portion. During that time they stay in the main room where the students who aren't interviewing are (There was usually always around 15ish of us in there, maybe more). Generally, everybody was talking and walking around, very much a relaxing / "meet and greet" type atmosphere. They have snacks and drinks in there, the interviewee group I was with was very much engaged with everybody in the rooms. The interviews themselves aren't very long, maybe 20mins, so they won't really be by themselves awkwardly for hours on end. Obviously, your interview experience could differ based on the interviewees and how engaging they are, but regardless, at the end of the day I thoroughly enjoyed the day and knowing what I know now it makes a lot more sense. LMU is special, and they really do take a great interest in you and your family. Like plenty of others have stated, the area is somewhat rural, so it makes sense too that they would want both you and your spouse to get a feel for the area and atmosphere, to kind of see what life would be like up there!

Anyways, hopefully this sheds a little more light on this subject for those about to interview!

(Don't forget they have an acceptance day in April, so for those of you reading this for the coming cycles of whatever, you could always just bring them with you then if it'd make you more comfortable for the interview day!)

Reactions: 5 users
Anybody know how many spots are still available? I have an interview coming up and I was just curious if I would be interviewing for a wait-list spot.

DO schools interview a bit later than MDs, usually until mid April. And I remember a previous post a week ago said the school just went through a half of their cycle. We still have hope :xf:
This is helpful to know for those interviewing toward the end of Feb/Beginning of March. Thank you!

I understand that the decisions are made on a point system this cycle. Does anyone have a general idea what the point system distribution is?

Just heard from LMU for the first time since completing my secondary in September. I received the "your application is under consideration" email. How long did it take for you guys to get a II or rejection after that?

Just heard from LMU for the first time since completing my secondary in September. I received the "your application is under consideration" email. How long did it take for you guys to get a II or rejection after that?
It took me from the end of November until the beginning of February to hear back about an interview.

It took my from the end of November until the beginning of February to hear back about an interview. This late I feel as though it will not be as long of a process for you.

Hi everyone! I was hoping if anybody who was already interviewed had any tips/suggestions. I submitted my application in August, and got an interview invite last week!

Hi everyone! I was hoping if anybody who was already interviewed had any tips/suggestions. I submitted my application in August, and got an interview invite last week!

First of all, congratulations on the interview to LMU-DCOM! I absolutely loved my visit and experience up there, such a loving place! Haha! Okay so my advice is to really just try and relax (lol I know it's easier said than done), and try not to stress/worry too much because the interview isn't bad at all. It's extremely laid back, very much a conversation. Like others have said it's closed file, so they don't know anything about you. Just FYI, you'll be interviewed by two people in the room with you taking turns asking questions. Last only about 20-30mins I think? It wasn't very long. I thought this style was kind of refreshing, leaves less awkward moments then the typical one on one, plus your actually getting double the non-verbal ques, so it helps to if they're following what your saying and liking your responses, more engaging feeling. That's just my opinion though. They also tell you from the start if you're here, it means we think you have what it takes to be a physician and in their interview they just want to get to know you a little better and see if you're a good fit for the school.

Now, with all that being said, you should know and be comfortable explaining why you applied DO, why you applied to LMU-DCOM specifically, and you should know a little bit about the school and how rural it is cause they want to make sure you'd be okay living there for a couple of years and understand that. Read up on their website, tons of good information there about the school and area. Probably the biggest advice I have to give is to just be comfortable talking about yourself and your reasons for wanting to become a physician. If you're genuinely pursuing medicine because you have a passion for healthcare/helping others/bettering others/serving etc., then you'll find this interview is pretty straight forward and not near as scary as it often seems beforehand!

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions I might could help with! (Not a student there, I was just accepted at LMU-DCOM a few months ago.)

Accepted today! Interviewed 2/24. Complete in September!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Did you guys get a call? I interviewed the same time and I haven't gotten a call or email...

great EC's
great essays
great LOR's

^^^ regarding this topic, I have gotten many PM's if my MCAT was brought up in the interview - sorry if my original post didn't clarify this - OTHER schools asked me about my MCAT score but not LMUDCOM. It's closed, so they really got a chance to know me as a person.

The staff is so friendly and adorable I just love them haha. I've already had Facebook messages from current med students and alumni who are residents and they want to just encourage me and be available to me!

I really want to go to a school like this - I rather be in a community of engagement and encouragement and NOT stressful competition - and this is what attracts me the most about the school

to reiterate what someone said above, they made a big point of being family oriented when they invited and encouraged parents+significant others to sit in the presentations with us, this REALLY differentiated them! :D

hope this cleared up anything - you can always PM me~ but first please read all of the posts above already so my inbox isn't flooded hehe :D goodluck everyone !

Also - I interviewed 2/9, completed everything late (oops I don't recommend this lol) around dec. - jan.

Does anyone know if they're still inviting people to interview?

Does this school have an attendance policy and dress code?

Also, I keep reading that LMU-DCOM's rotation sites aren't that great, but what exactly makes them worse than other schools' rotations? And these "subpar" rotations are just for our core rotations right? We have the freedom to go to other places for most of our fourth year?

Also, I keep reading that LMU-DCOM's rotation sites aren't that great, but what exactly makes them worse than other schools' rotations? And these "subpar" rotations are just for our core rotations right? We have the freedom to go to other places for most of our fourth year?

Someone mentioned that attendance is not mandatory

Every year starts out as business casual then a month or so in it's jeans and such. Just don't look like a bum basically. There is not mandatory attendance except for labs. Most of the 2020 class watches the lectures at home, there are occasional mandatory lectures but not many.

From what I've heard from other classes you are locked into your core for essentially your core rotations but have much more flexibility end of 3rd year and 4th year to schedule your rotations elsewhere. Keep in mind what most people complain about is that you are doing the leg work for setting up rotations away from your core site. But that being said I believe the office in charge of rotations has a list of approved places that other students have gone to. A new place will require some time and paperwork.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

any way we can find those approved sites out online? or does a current 3rd/4th year have it?

Is anyone else interviewing here tomorrow?

anyone knows of a site where people buy and sell stuff in this small town? or where students that are leaving maybe selling stuff that someone can buy there and not bring it with them?

anyone knows of a site where people buy and sell stuff in this small town? or where students that are leaving maybe selling stuff that someone can buy there and not bring it with them?
Don't the accepted class have an official FB group?

any way we can find those approved sites out online? or does a current 3rd/4th year have it?
Third and Fourth years get access to Evalue, which has a list of all previous hospitals rotated at. But the list has over 1,000 preceptors all around the country. The school requires an updated affiliation agreement every year for sites that aren't core, but the paperwork isn't difficult. It just takes a couple months, so planning ahead is required. And if a student has rotated with another physician in the same hospital network or clinic, a new affiliation agreement usually isn't required. Dcom staff wants all paperwork in 90 days before the rotation. In regards to rotations, you are required to complete 7 months at the core site unless certain rotations aren't available then you can go where you want if it is cleared by the school. After that you can basically go anywhere in the country or abroad (for 1 month). Fourth year has a required rural hospital, rural clinic, and ER rotations, but if you plan ahead you can usually do these wherever you like. They may change the rules for ER about it being at a core site, but you can pick which site you would like to be at I believe. The rest of ur time can be used for auditioning anywhere in the country. I feel this is a definite strength at DCOM. Even though it takes some work on the students part to set them up, this allows the student to get direct face time with residencies and make their own personalized schedule for 75% of their rotations.

So you don't have to do the rural locations at the designated sites online?

What's the odds that you get your top 5 core rotations

Third and Fourth years get access to Evalue, which has a list of all previous hospitals rotated at. But the list has over 1,000 preceptors all around the country. The school requires an updated affiliation agreement every year for sites that aren't core, but the paperwork isn't difficult. It just takes a couple months, so planning ahead is required. And if a student has rotated with another physician in the same hospital network or clinic, a new affiliation agreement usually isn't required. Dcom staff wants all paperwork in 90 days before the rotation. In regards to rotations, you are required to complete 7 months at the core site unless certain rotations aren't available then you can go where you want if it is cleared by the school. After that you can basically go anywhere in the country or abroad (for 1 month). Fourth year has a required rural hospital, rural clinic, and ER rotations, but if you plan ahead you can usually do these wherever you like. They may change the rules for ER about it being at a core site, but you can pick which site you would like to be at I believe. The rest of ur time can be used for auditioning anywhere in the country. I feel this is a definite strength at DCOM. Even though it takes some work on the students part to set them up, this allows the student to get direct face time with residencies and make their own personalized schedule for 75% of their