Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. Jan 27th interviewer. Pretty bummed.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected. I honestly don't know why. I thought the interview went great. This completely surprised me.

I recently sent an update letter to them, and was wondering if anyone else who did this received a confirmation from admissions of receiving the letter?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I called to confirm, I think her name is Miss Robin she's really friendly just give her a call tomorrow and ask if she has added the letter to your file

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I called to confirm, I think her name is Miss Robin she's really friendly just give her a call tomorrow and ask if she has added the letter to your file

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
Thank you!! :)

I got accepted today!
But I didn't get a call, just the e-mail. Maybe he either got slammed on Monday, or was too sick to talk. I thought for sure I'd been rejected or waitlisted since the day dragged on and still no call... then BAM!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone!

Flying all the way out here from literally the farthest state possible - interviewing on 2/10 (this friday).

Nice to see a lot of people keeping up to date on here. Since I've never traveled to this part of the country before, I just wanted to ask for some tips and ask how it went for everyone :)

Hi everyone!

Flying all the way out here from literally the farthest state possible - interviewing on 2/10 (this friday).

Nice to see a lot of people keeping up to date on here. Since I've never traveled to this part of the country before, I just wanted to ask for some tips and ask how it went for everyone :)
Are you coming from Hawaii or Alaska? Either way, the Appalachian mountains (foothills if you're coming from Alaska) are very green and beautiful! The people are extra courteous and nice, and there's a lot to love about the family culture of the school (which will help if you're far from home). The interview was conversational and very relaxed. Just be prepared to answer why medicine, why DO vs MD, why LMU, and maybe one hard question like "what's your greatest failure," or "what is one thing you'd change about yourself." Other than that, just be yourself and enjoy TN!

Hi everyone!

If you havent done this yet, my advice would be to book your hotel online vs from the phone. Even with the interviewer discount it was much cheaper to book online through a 3rd party website.

Hi everyone!

Same! Flying from California to Cincinnati and then driving a rental car to Harrogate - never been to this part of the US, so hoping for the best!

Same! Flying from California to Cincinnati and then driving a rental car to Harrogate - never been to this part of the US, so hoping for the best!

Oh so cool! I'm a Cali native, so it'll be a bit colder than what we are used to!

If you havent done this yet, my advice would be to book your hotel online vs from the phone. Even with the interviewer discount it was much cheaper to book online through a 3rd party website.

Hi Enimra!
Thank you so much for the advice, but unfortunately I already booked over the phone..... What price were you able to get? I believe I paid $60-70 at the place 3 miles away in Cumberland Patch. I don't think many people stay here other than interviewees, lol.

II for 3/31, at this point am I interviewing for a waitlist spot or...? I called and spoke with Robin asking about this and she said "they are halfway done with the cycle so they will keep interviewing/accepting until their seats are filled, but it changes from year to year." So basically, she didn't know/she didn't have a confirmed answer. Can any current year students chime in please?

Members don't see this ad :)
II for 3/31, at this point am I interviewing for a waitlist spot or...? I called and spoke with Robin asking about this and she said "they are halfway done with the cycle so they will keep interviewing/accepting until their seats are filled, but it changes from year to year." So basically, she didn't know/she didn't have a confirmed answer. Can any current year students chime in please?

Sorry, Ms. Robin would know more than us and what she says is accurate. The cycle isn't over yet until the seats are filled and usually the cycles tend to last till around April or so.

:) Good luck to anyone going to the meet and greet tomorrow and/or the interview on Friday! I'll see you there!

I interview 2/24 and was wondering what the turn around for decisions are after the interview?

I am not sure if this has already been asked and answered but is there a facebook page for this new class?

Hey guys, maybe it was posted elsewhere in this thread and I'm not seeing it, but is the interview 2 on 1? Did you find that it was more conversational and laid back or did you feel like you were grilled with difficult questions?

Hey guys, maybe it was posted elsewhere in this thread and I'm not seeing it, but is the interview 2 on 1? Did you find that it was more conversational and laid back or did you feel like you were grilled with difficult questions?
It was 2 on 1 and it's pretty laid back conversational style. I honestly thought I didn't do well but I got accepted. I think they're just seeing if u fit their mission rather than your actual interview skills

It was 2 on 1 and it's pretty laid back conversational style. I honestly thought I didn't do well but I got accepted. I think they're just seeing if u fit their mission rather than your actual interview skills
When did you interview? That is very helpful. Thank you for giving us that heads-up.

I interviewed on 1/27. Hope yours goes well!
Thank you. I hope it does too. What was the turnaround time from when you interviewed and from when you got the decision? Is it through email or phone call?

Thank you. I hope it does too. What was the turnaround time from when you interviewed and from when you got the decision? Is it through email or phone call?
It's both. The phone call was first for me and it was a little over a week

Anybody have any recommendations for housing? Any websites I could use, etc.?

II today! Scheduled on March/10.

Congratulations!!! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking? I haven't really looked at the previous pages.
Thanks! I completed my apps in Sep/25, a long time ago. Thought I wouldn't get II at all!

Thanks! I completed in Sep/25, a long time ago. Thought I wouldn't get II at all!
Oh wow, that is awesome!!! I didn't think I was going to apply this cycle but ended up starting the process last month. I just received the file complete email today. I was curious to see what the turn around was. Best of luck to you though!!!

Oh wow, that is awesome!!! I didn't think I was going to apply this cycle but ended up starting the process last month. I just received the file complete email today. I was curious to see what the turn around was. Best of luck to you though!!!
I'm sure you will get II soon! Good luck to you too!0

Anyone knows how far they are in filling their seats?

Reactions: 2 users
I hear what you are saying but at the same time it may be important for people to bring their husbands/wives/parents and this is one of the only schools that offer this type of chance for relatives to really see what the process is like and form an opinion of the school as well. I'm an adult and as an adult I took my husband. I was very happy this school included family in the process as this school typically accepts adult students with families and since it is placed in a VERY rural setting, family members are incorporated into the school's atmosphere (which is important to some applicants). I also know that the students in my group who brought a family member or significant other all got accepted so I don't think whether you bring someone to the actual interview or not weighs on their decision. I do wish they would have had more for the families to do though. I was under the impression that there would be a separate session for them which was not the case.

What exactly did spouses/family members do during the interview day? I would love for my wife to tour the school with me and learn more about it, but certainly she wouldn't be sitting beside me during the actual interview, right? Did some show up later (after the actual interview)? Were they addressed or otherwise engaged by the staff or interviewers?

I'm definitely taking her to the meet-and-greet, but still trying to decide if it would be more awkward to bring her along, especially if she's just going to follow me around all day without any sort of active participation or information geared toward families. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure most of my friends only tolerate me and, in reality, are only my friends because they love her. She's got a magnetic, bright, cheerful personality. She's also a pediatric PA working in an underserved area, so...

I'm also curious to know if those who were skeptical or critical of spouses accompanying interviewees are married, themselves. There was a "be an independent adult" vibe going on there, and I'm wondering if their own stages of life predicated their responses. I'm not assuming or accusing, just wondering. At 30, with a family and my background, I really don't feel that I have to prove that I'm an independent adult. Then again, there are plenty of man-children and having a family doesn't automatically mean you act like an adult, so I at least understand where the argument is.

Having family there is an odd, but intriguing, opportunity. Trying to weigh the pros and cons...

(All of this assumes we can get my in-laws to keep our daughter overnight that Thursday as we make the drive up there.)

What exactly did spouses/family members do during the interview day? I would love for my wife to tour the school with me and learn more about it, but certainly she wouldn't be sitting beside me during the actual interview, right? Did some show up later (after the actual interview)? Were they addressed or otherwise engaged by the staff or interviewers?

You're overthinking things quite a bit. Please feel free to bring your spouse to the meet and greet as it will be a good opportunity for them to ask questions as well and to hear what you'll be getting into. I didn't sign up for any times this semester but last semester when I signed up for one, an individual brought their parent and significant other - I thought it was great. It gives a person the chance to talk to their loved ones and see if their loved ones are getting the same good vibes that they are.

For the interview day, if you want her there, invite her to come. She can remain with you up until you interview, at that point it will be just you and the interviewers. Someone will have to update me if there are any "guest" meetings only but I don't think that there are any. Meaning, any tours you go on or any information sessions that you listen to (I know years ago they spent a half hour describing how financial aid would work).

Side note - I know that during Accepted Students day, there was a session that was for "non students" where the professors just educated the family members/loved ones about what the life of a student would be like.

If you are worried about the school looking down on you because you are married or have a family, there's no need to be concerned with that. A huge amount of my classmates are 25+ years old, single, long term relationship, married, divorced, 0-5 kids in a family or anything I might have missed. The school just wants to see that you are a good person.

Speaking of Accepted Student's Day, do you know if there's a limit to how many guests we can bring?

How did you get the reservation page? Have they sent out the links?
They should've sent you an email about accepted students day, and towards the end of the email there is a hyperlink for the word "here" that will direct you to the registration page. Deadline is march 1st by the way