Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm definitely surprised that you guys haven't been pulled off. Didn't they say they pulled off around 70 people last year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm definitely surprised that you guys haven't been pulled off. Didn't they say they pulled off around 70 people last year?
Yeah, I was told that last year they pulled off 20 in may, 20 in June, and 20 in July.. so there is still some slight ray of hope lol

When you have a 506 MCAT, thousands of hours of clinical experience, a masters degree in biology, a 3.5 to 3.6 GPA depending on what group of credits you're talking about, I think it's safe to say it's pretty competitive. Still waiting to be pulled. Although this school is my top choice I would recommend applying to as many programs as possible if you're in the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you have a 506 MCAT, thousands of hours of clinical experience, a masters degree in biology, a 3.5 to 3.6 GPA depending on what group of credits you're talking about, I think it's safe to say it's pretty competitive. Still waiting to be pulled. Although this school is my top choice I would recommend applying to as many programs as possible if you're in the next cycle.

Those are your stats? I'm absolutely shocked you haven't been pulled yet. I was pulled off the waitlist in May but my MCAT score is lower than yours. I'm rooting for all of you

Reactions: 1 user
Fyi the current class is at about 239 i believe, last year's class had 243.

An MS student was accepted Monday. I've heard from a few people that talked to Janette Martin in person this week and she told them all the same thing; they've moved less than half the number of people they usually do from the wait-list this year and no one is sure why.

An MS student was accepted Monday. I've heard from a few people that talked to Janette Martin in person this week and she told them all the same thing; they've moved less than half the number of people they usually do from the wait-list this year and no one is sure why.
Well that's not great news. At least all the suspense will be over in less than two weeks and there's always next year.

I hate to be this guy but anyone speak to the drug test? I have two questions. 1. I think it tests for alcohol and my sister's wedding was last week so if it's a hair test let's just say I'm in hot water. 2. Is the cost covered in the Castle Branch fee or do you have to pay for it when you show up to take it.

I hate to be this guy but anyone speak to the drug test? I have two questions. 1. I think it tests for alcohol and my sister's wedding was last week so if it's a hair test let's just say I'm in hot water. 2. Is the cost covered in the Castle Branch fee or do you have to pay for it when you show up to take it.
If it were a hair test, half of the class wouldn't be there. After a few days alcohol should be undetected in the urine.

It's 99.999% always going to be a urine test. Hair tests are crazy expensive and the only time I could think of someone getting one is through the criminal court system or through some sort of a appeal situation due to a mix up in urine samples.

What castlebranch will test for in your urine drug screen is

(I just pulled this from my test in order to go on rotations)

Substances Tested:
Amphetamines
Barbiturate
Cocaine
Cannabinoids
Methaqualone
Opiates
Phencyclidine
Benzodiazepines
Methadone
Propoxyphene
Creatinine
PH

You should of already paid castlebranch a fee in order to set up the opportunity to be able to take the drug test. Somewhere on their website should be a way for you to download a form related to your drug test, you will take that form to Labcorp and it will have all the info Labcorp needs.

Does that mean you got pulled?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean you got pulled?
Yeah, yesterday afternoon. Immediately went from being stressed about possibly not getting in to stressed about everything I have to get in order. Super excited though.

Yeah, yesterday afternoon. Immediately went from being stressed about possibly not getting in to stressed about everything I have to get in order. Super excited though.

Nah. dcom isn't liked that. As long as you are making an effort to get everything submitted in a timely manner, you're fine (that is not permission to get passive, get it all done asap haha). But, if something happens that holds you up, just email that individual and let them know.

Congratulations! Are you by any chance in their MS program?

No I wasn't, I was starting to think they were just moving masters students but apparently not.

Congrats!

The idea that they give special treatment to their MS students has definitely not been the case from my experience. I have 3.7gpa in the program, 508 MCAT and plenty of shadowing, volunteer, and healthcare experience hours and I'm still waiting.

Congrats!

The idea that they give special treatment to their MS students has definitely not been the case from my experience. I have 3.7gpa in the program, 508 MCAT and plenty of shadowing, volunteer, and healthcare experience hours and I'm still waiting.

It's a shame. Do you know many other MS students who are in the same boat?

I was not a LMU Masters student either and was also pulled within the past month. I do have a similar masters degree from another medical school though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's a shame. Do you know many other MS students who are in the same boat?

I can't speak for the whole class, during the semester it's a small enough community that it's easy to keep up with everyone, but its harder without seeing everyone in class every day and all the group pages and chats have slowly died over the summer. I personally know 3 people that all had stats similar to mine that are still waiting, so at least 4 of us.

What really bites is that because of all the drama with the class of 2019 they didn't let us take Histo in the fall, so very few BP people actually finished their degree, so now I've gotta pay $2800 tuition plus room and board for the fall semester so I can get the last 3 credit hours I need to graduate, but obviously the gov isn't going to give a loan just to take a single class, so I've no idea how I'm going to afford it.

I can't speak for the whole class, during the semester it's a small enough community that it's easy to keep up with everyone, but its harder without seeing everyone in class every day and all the group pages and chats have slowly died over the summer. I personally know 3 people that all had stats similar to mine that are still waiting, so at least 4 of us.

What really bites is that because of all the drama with the class of 2019 they didn't let us take Histo in the fall, so very few BP people actually finished their degree, so now I've gotta pay $2800 tuition plus room and board for the fall semester so I can get the last 3 credit hours I need to graduate, but obviously the gov isn't going to give a loan just to take a single class, so I've no idea how I'm going to afford it.

What happened with the Class of 2019?

What happened with the Class of 2019?

A number of them struggled a lot this year, I don't know how many but it was enough to be deemed an unacceptable number. Some of them are going to have to remediate the entire year. The rumor was almost all of the students struggling were former masters. The conclusion the school came to was that without MGA, Histo, and Neuro the MS1 year was too easy and they never learned how to handle a heavy course load, so they couldn't deal with it when their MS2 year started. So as a stopgap they didn't let us take Histo and as a more permanent solution they're reorganizing the 2nd year curriculum so the same thing doesn't happen to the class of 2020.

A number of them struggled a lot this year, I don't know how many but it was enough to be deemed an unacceptable number. Some of them are going to have to remediate the entire year. The rumor was almost all of the students struggling were former masters. The conclusion the school came to was that without MGA, Histo, and Neuro the MS1 year was too easy and they never learned how to handle a heavy course load, so they couldn't deal with it when their MS2 year started. So as a stopgap they didn't let us take Histo and as a more permanent solution they're reorganizing the 2nd year curriculum so the same thing doesn't happen to the class of 2020.

Did Dr Wieting tell your class this or are you hearing it from other students?

Did Dr Wieting tell your class this or are you hearing it from other students?

This is all from the MS1/MS2's, where they got their info I don't know, the DCOM administration really doesn't have any interaction with the MS class. Medschool is like high school, your entire world is composed of those few hundred people and the rumor mill is fierce, so absolutely take it with a grain of salt.

Disregarding the rumor and speculation, the facts are: they didn't let us take histo, there are students repeating the 2nd year, and they are shuffling the schedule for the 2nd year curriculum.

This is all from the MS1/MS2's, where they got their info I don't know, the DCOM administration really doesn't have any interaction with the MS class. Medschool is like high school, your entire world is composed of those few hundred people and the rumor mill is fierce, so absolutely take it with a grain of salt.

Disregarding the rumor and speculation, the facts are: they didn't let us take histo, there are students repeating the 2nd year, and they are shuffling the schedule for the 2nd year curriculum.

The rumor mill is indeed very prevalent at DCOM - likely because of how small the community is as a whole and how little there is to do. People love gossip. I can't say I'm completely surprised by the changes to allowing the MS students to take Histo - the Fall semester if you've had both MGA and Histo is really not intense in any form and as a result a lot of people get too comfortable. Few Master students actually took advantage of the additional free time during the Fall semester and the laxity was evident when Spring began and we had a full course load like everyone else. There are 2nd years that will be repeating, but these 2nd years were also struggling to begin with and cannot be completely blamed on the curriculum. Despite some hiccups though, I do think that this years curriculum will be better than the previous year.

Part of that is what I figured. Was hoping for more concrete info but, it is what it is. One of the reason why I was wondering was that I learned (from actual faculty) about the upcoming second years schedule being moved around, before our semester was even half over. So I'm not sure how well it ties into grades as schedule changes happen each year. One year, they had repro during or near board study time, the next year (my year) they had it at the end of 2nd year first semester, this year they have it at the beginning of 2nd year first semester.

Then, I'm not to sure that I would believe that our post masters students had trouble, they were always some of the top quarter students. The students who I know of that had trouble weren't in the masters program and were usually in the bottom quartile. And if they ended up having to repeat a year, it was probably for the best.

FenderBenderEmergency beat me to it lol

Anyone else feel like they're about to die from anxiety? :boom:
Sorry to hear that. I've accepted my probable fate and have been planning for this worst case scenario. Keep hope alive and put your best foot forward for next year.

I was on campus today and heard someone say they were just accepted yesterday. Hoping for the best for you

Do you guys think an EMT certificate helps with acceptance?.. I was a reapplicant this year and not sure what more I can do to make my application stand out. I'm feeling so hopeless right now to be honest! X(

Do you guys think an EMT certificate helps with acceptance?.. I was a reapplicant this year and not sure what more I can do to make my application stand out. I'm feeling so hopeless right now to be honest! X(

Likely not very useful. What are your stats? Do you have a strong personal statement? Strong letters? Did you interview?

Your best bet is to contact any school where you were rejected and plan to re-apply and see if they are willing to give feedback on your app. There's no sense wasting time and money searching for clinical experience as an EMT if your GPA was lower than the average or you interviewed poorly. FWIW I'm an EMT and I wasn't asked about it in any interviews. They seemed to be more interested in my scribe experience because I was working directly with physicians.

This is not true. Not sure where this was heard.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile