LECOM Post Bacc 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, just to clarify - do you mean they did NOT need your MCAT scores? I'll def double check but figured I could get a more immediate response here :)

LOL so sorry, i meant they did NOT need my MCAT. But check the portal to see, and also if you are unsure, send it again. :) no harm in reassurance. GL!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone from the current class give some stats updates please?
How many students in the class, roughly how many going into med school this year, how many got above a 3.0....ect

Thanks!

Can anyone from the current class give some stats updates please?
How many students in the class, roughly how many going into med school this year, how many got above a 3.0....ect

Thanks!

Unfortunately it's difficult to get an exact number, because they do not tell us. All I can say about LECOM post bac is that it is a golden opportunity.
1. If you are a post-bac, you will have the same teachers that will educate you as a MS-1.
2. LECOM agrees that they WILL accept you if you meet the minimum 3.0 GPA and the 23 MCAT (for PB 2011-2012)
3. The degree of difficulty is similar to that of MS-1, and thus will give you a good estimate of how you will perform as a MS-1.
4. When you are in post-bac, your classmates should NOT be considered your competition, but rather helpful companions. YOU ALL GIVEN A SEAT IF YOU MEET THE MINIMUMS!

Statistics really do not matter. You get out of the program what you put into it. If you bust your butt and get the score you need, you are in. On the other hand, if you are lazy, you will probably do poorly on these exams. The faculty is VERY supportive and would like to see you succeed, so do not be afraid to get in touch with them if you need help/extra study tools.

If you hear anything very biased and negative about the program, this information is probably skewed from the truth. No doubt, this program is difficult, but it is not impossible. It takes sacrifice and dedication to do well, and if you're up to the challenge, I HIGHLY recommended it.

Here are all the courses (except Intro to Clinical Med, and Critical Thinking):

Spring Courses:
Anatomy (5 Credits): Max- 93.1, Min 50.4, Avg 79.3, Median 80.2
Immnuo (1 Credit): Max- 102.3, Min 73.3, Avg 87.1, Median 86.8
Pathology(4 Credits): Max- 102.4, Min 79.9, Avg 91.7, Median 91.3
Pharmacology (3 Credits): Max- 93.5, Min 64.3, Avg 79.3, Median 80.4
Virology (1 Credit): Max-101.6, Min 75.3, Avg 91.4, Median 92.1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Fall Courses
Biochemistry (3 Credits): Max- 93, Min 59.5, Avg 76.8, Median 77.2
Cell Bio (1 Credit): Max- 97.1, Min 75.1, Avg 90, Median 91
Histology (1 Credit): Max 97.5 Min 53.1, Avg 83.6, Median 85.2
Microbiology (2 Credits): Max 100, Min 54.9, Avg 80.8, Median 80.3
Physiology (5 Credits): Max 97.4, Min 65.7, Avg 80.1, Median 80.4

Fall Average GPA: 2.76, Fall Median GPA: 2.87
Spring Average GPA: 2.94, Spring Median GPA: 3.07

*Remember that the median is the most frequent, so I'd look into that number with the most weight*

The only true stats you need is to give 100% of yourself and leave 0% behind!!!

To all my little Hulkamaniacs, say your prayers, take your vitamins and you will never go wrong.

--Hulk Hogan

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the exams multiple choice? Are they similar to old exams? It seems like the averages are really high.

stupid me, I just found out about DO SMP's a few weeks ago and I've been really interested in LECOM (the DO school) so this SMP seems like a God-send...but, is it too late to apply? When I spoke with the admissions person they said they accept apps till August but I'm really anxious about applying since people have clearly been applying for a while now... :/
i have a 2.9 cum, 2.5 sci w/ a 28S and retake of 26s (don't ask how that happened, I'm shocked...)
Should I even bother applyin?

stupid me, I just found out about DO SMP's a few weeks ago and I've been really interested in LECOM (the DO school) so this SMP seems like a God-send...but, is it too late to apply? When I spoke with the admissions person they said they accept apps till August but I'm really anxious about applying since people have clearly been applying for a while now... :/
i have a 2.9 cum, 2.5 sci w/ a 28S and retake of 26s (don't ask how that happened, I'm shocked...)

I mean you dont have much to loose except $50

Thank you Hulk, the stats u posted are very helpful.

Physcgirl27, the app. is relatively short and simple.

Questions:

1) Which campus is the LECOM postbac taught at?

2) For students who get a 3.0+ at the postbac along with a 23+ MCAT, do they do medical school at the Erie campus?

Questions:

1) Which campus is the LECOM postbac taught at?

2) For students who get a 3.0+ at the postbac along with a 23+ MCAT, do they do medical school at the Erie campus?

LECOM reserves seats for all three campuses. You get to choose which one you'd prefer. However, since the ERIE campus is the largest, the most seats are available there. This doesn't mean you have to go to Erie campus, but it is the most likely. If you want PBL, Seton Hill and Florida are exclusively PBL. If you want lecture based or independent study you have to go to Erie. Postbac is taught at the LECOM Bayfront campus. It is a really nice building.

Are the exams multiple choice? Are they similar to old exams? It seems like the averages are really high.

All exams are multiple choice. They are all (supposed to be) clinically based questions. Example: 45 year old patient presents with the chief complain of pain that radiates to his right shoulder. Which organ may be causing this pain type? (A. Pancreas, B. Duodenum, C. Gallbladder, D. Heart). As for if they are similar to old exams, I am not 100% sure.

Last edited:

You sound like a perfect candidate for the postbac program! Some people have issues with the MCAT, so people have issues with their GPA. This program will strengthen your science credentials and make you a very strong candidate especially with that 26S. I think you should apply. Additionally I applied pretty late, and I was accepted... so go for it!

LECOM reserves seats for all three campuses. You get to choose which one you'd prefer. However, since the ERIE campus is the largest, the most seats are available there. This doesn't mean you have to go to Erie campus, but it is the most likely. If you want PBL, Seton Hill and Florida are exclusively PBL. If you want lecture based or independent study you have to go to Erie. Postbac is taught at the LECOM Bayfront campus. It is a really nice building.

Thanks Hulk. If I choose to apply to LECOM (which would be a year from now), I'd like to go to Erie.

Last edited:

All the exams are multiple choice with 5 multiple choice answers. You will rarely have none of the above or all of the above answer choices. The majority of exam questions are clinical based (patient presents with signs/symptom, etc...) and will be very similar to the questions found in BRS books. The questions are not easy and are designed to be very similar to COMLEX questions so they often require extra critical thinking.

As for the averages, they are high in the 1 credit hour courses. Those courses are designed to be easy. The averages, however, are significantly lower on the 3-5 credit hour courses and these should be the ones to focus on. Getting a C in anatomy or physiology is a kick in the nuts to your chances of getting in. Also, path is taught by a great professor who wants to see high averages so if you guys are lucky, you will have her next year.

Finally, it's estimated that about 1/3 of our class will get in. so anywhere from 22-25 kids for sure. They are very strict on their guidelines. I got a 2.93 last semester and didn't receive a conditional acceptance no matter how close I was to a 3.0. I had to wait till the end of this semester to receive my acceptance letter after finishing with a 3.1. So work hard first semester so you don't have to sweat it out second semester!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there guys,

I am looking for a roommate and would just like to get the word out there that if any of you are interested, please send me a message and we can talk!

Thanks and congrats to those that want it and good luck to those that need it!

hey everyone,

Don't forget to join our facebook group if you haven't already. Just search LECOM post bacc 2011. Thanks!

I'm a former LECOM post bac and will be starting first year in the fall. I think Jslo85 and Hoose are right on in their advice to this program.

Its difficult. I studied harder than I ever thought I'd had to, but I feel better prepared now. The other post sounds like sour grapes to me.

I do agree that biochem was a frustrating experience!

Hi former post-baccs,
I'd like to know what kinds of resources are available to post-bacc students? Do you guys have access to tutoring, professor office hours, etc.?
Did you use textbooks (did you find textbooks useful), or did you use the modules (handouts)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi former post-baccs,
I'd like to know what kinds of resources are available to post-bacc students? Do you guys have access to tutoring, professor office hours, etc.?
Did you use textbooks (did you find textbooks useful), or did you use the modules (handouts)?

Tutoring was available to students, but they recommended it only for students getting C's or failing. Don't expect to be the kid getting an A/high B and still having an easy time finding a tutor through the school.

Most professors were more available via email than office hours. Most of them would allow you to set up an appointment with them for extra help but there isn't really a set office hour schedule like there was in undergrad.

As for the last part, we didn't have modules or handouts. Everything was based upon a powerpoint lecture that corresponded with the textbook. You read what you felt you needed to read in the texts to learn the information for yourself.

Personally, I bought very few textbooks this year. For most of the classes, the powerpoints were sufficient. These classes included:

Pathology, Histology, Virology, Immunology, Cell Biology, Intro to Med, Critical Thinking.

For other classes I used the powerpoints plus the BRS books for practice problems and summaries but no actual textbooks:

Microbiology and Pharmacology.

Finally, the three classes where I used the most material were Physio, Biochem, and Anatomy. I read all the textbooks for these many times as well as the BRS books. Furthermore, I'd find atlas's for anatomy and smaller review books about certain topics to help me with these classes in the library.

Really, it all comes down to the best way you can learn the material and it's up to you to give yourself a comprehensive understanding of it. Some kids used more books and others used no books. However, the BRS books are a lifesaver and i'm pretty sure everyone who did well used those.

waiting for my letter from lecom post bac.....names brock....hope to get in and see you all soon.....2.8 GPA 24P MCAT hopefully that is enough!

Thanks.

Could you tell me about the Comprehensive Final Exam that you have to take and how it factors into your grade?

waiting for my letter from lecom post bac.....names brock....hope to get in and see you all soon.....2.8 GPA 24P MCAT hopefully that is enough!
There was someone here with a 3.1 and 25 MCAT who got rejected from the postbac, and plus you are applying kind of late.

But to be fair, that person had a DUI.

There was someone here with a 3.1 and 25 MCAT who got rejected from the postbac, and plus you are applying kind of late.

i just saw that post and you are exactly right.....**** that sucks.....well hopefully by a miracle they give me a chance.

Last edited:

You're not applying to late at all. I couldn't apply till the waitlist was done with last year at the end of July and got in after turning my application in 3 weeks before school started. There were several other kids who applied in August as well. There are rumors that they've increased the standards though. April-June is usually prime application period for post-bacc programs because most kids know they're not getting into a med school by that point. So send that app in, I think you should be fine.

Last edited:
hoose, if you had competed for class rep for SGA, I would have totally voted for you instead of Erin

hi guys, im new to this thread. congrats on those accepted for the fall!

Question: Upon successful completion of the postbac program, what are the chances of being placed in LECOM-Bradenton?? What would I have to do as a postbac student to get a spot in bradenton?

thanks!

You're not applying to late at all. I couldn't apply till the waitlist was done with last year at the end of July and got in after turning my application in 3 weeks before school started. There were several other kids who applied in August as well. There are rumors that they've increased the standards though. April-June is usually prime application period for post-bacc programs because most kids know they're not getting into a med school by that point. So send that app in, I think you should be fine.
Elaborate?

Question: If someone applies to LECOM's postbac in January or Feb and gets rejected in April, can he try again in May after the final semester if he gets good grades?

hi guys, im new to this thread. congrats on those accepted for the fall!

Question: Upon successful completion of the postbac program, what are the chances of being placed in LECOM-Bradenton?? What would I have to do as a postbac student to get a spot in bradenton?

thanks!
I think you can choose where to apply.

Thanks man.....they have everything and it says under review so it shouldnt be too long.

@dubaifan:

If you did better second semester or got a higher mcat score, they may take you.

I said they are increasing standards because they are now requiring all students to have a 23 MCAT before entering the program. This is probably also corresponding with an increase in the gpa's they are looking for. For our class, they had been taking kids without the minimum mcat plus students with very low gpas. I personally think this is a good thing. There were students with low stats who turned it on in the post-bacc and made it to the med school. But there were many more with those low stats who couldn't handle the workload and unfortunately wasted a year of time and money trying to get in.

@blackandyellow:

Upon completion of the program you can enter LECOM-bradenton if you maintain the gpa. There are several catches though. First, it's a separate supplemental application so you pay another 50 bucks. Second, they will want a slightly higher mcat score than LECOM-erie. Finally, the biggest problem could come with when you get your gpa. If you maintain the 3.0 first semester, then Bradenton WILL give you your conditional. However, if it takes you till the end of the second semester to do that, then Bradenton may have filled up all their seats by then, but they will still take you into Erie for sure. Bradenton generally fills up first, so be sure to get your gpa that first semester as the Bradenton really doesn't have a hard commitment to the post-bacc students like Erie does.

When you go to your interview, they will ask you what pathways you want. If you've put in your supplemental to Bradenton, put that as your first choice even though it won't be listed. You don't have to go their for an interview. I think we had 2 kids I know of that wanted to go to Bradenton and both were given conditionals in early March. Only 1 ended up choosing to go while the other switched to Erie, so I'm basing this off our class.

Hey guys is the post-bacc considered graduate in terms of federal aid? If so that would leave the option of grad plus loans if needed, if not then it's up to savings and private loans. What's the word?

it's considered graduate in terms of federal aid

Hey guys is the post-bacc considered graduate in terms of federal aid? If so that would leave the option of grad plus loans if needed, if not then it's up to savings and private loans. What's the word?

LECOM really hates private loans, just a fyi.

Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly. You now have to have a 23 MCAT to even start the program? Not just to be a accepted to the medical school?

Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly. You now have to have a 23 MCAT to even start the program? Not just to be a accepted to the medical school?

I hope not... I'm not takin that damn thing again!

I have a question, it seems that this program is only in philly, i thought it would be here in florida too, or am I wrong?

Do I really need to bring them a computer to configure? What does this enatil and can I get away with just using my IPad?

Do I really need to bring them a computer to configure? What does this enatil and can I get away with just using my IPad?

Yes, you have to present them a computer to be configured as it's a part of their required materials. Configuration means they'll take it and you aren't allowed to see the network information they put in. Basically, this is so they can trace back any negative information or security violations you may commit back to your computer. Don't do anything stupid on their network!

Pretty sure you can use the Ipad in class, but that'll have to be configured as well. I would still recommend bringing something bigger. You're literally going to be on the computer 8-10 hours a day for anything school related.

As far as I know, this program only offers a conditional interview. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, this program only offers a conditional interview. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was under the impression that if one meet's the requirements, he or she would be interviewed, which basically equates to an acceptance (assuming one has a decent interview). I have not read of anyone who met the criteria (3.0 and 23+ MCAT) who did not earn a seat in the medical school. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Regardless, it seems that compared to other similar programs out there, this one provides the most direct path to med school.

So you guys think that they require a 23 on MCAT to get accepted to medical school after you achieve a 3.0 on the master program? Is a 22 ok, or that is under the cut off. could they be lenient for only 1 point difference...plus does anyone knows who to contact to ask about this?

So you guys think that they require a 23 on MCAT to get accepted to medical school after you achieve a 3.0 on the master program? Is a 22 ok, or that is under the cut off. could they be lenient for only 1 point difference...plus does anyone knows who to contact to ask about this?

You will be rejected. You need a 23 total.

I was under the impression that if one meet's the requirements, he or she would be interviewed, which basically equates to an acceptance (assuming one has a decent interview). I have not read of anyone who met the criteria (3.0 and 23+ MCAT) who did not earn a seat in the medical school. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Regardless, it seems that compared to other similar programs out there, this one provides the most direct path to med school.

As far as I know everyone in my post bacc class that met the MCAT, GPA, and didn't do anything stupid was accepted.

Got an email today from the post bacc advisior (it was sent to everyone already admitted) it says and I quote "A 3.0 overall GPA or higher, a 23 or higher MCAT, no failing grades and a successful interview guarantees a seat at the DO school" That should put concern to rest

Got an email today from the post bacc advisior (it was sent to everyone already admitted) it says and I quote "A 3.0 overall GPA or higher, a 23 or higher MCAT, no failing grades and a successful interview guarantees a seat at the DO school" That should put concern to rest

:thumbup:

i don't get this program because those requirements are the same for normal DO admission so isn't post-bac usually people with lower mcat/gpa requirements?

Also, how many seats are available and interviews and applications received for this Post-bac?

i don't get this program because those requirements are the same for normal DO admission so isn't post-bac usually people with lower mcat/gpa requirements?

Also, how many seats are available and interviews and applications received for this Post-bac?

its a 3.0 in the prgram (not undergrad GPA) and a 23 on the MCAT (which is veryyyy lenient/ is preety low). you apply to most if not all DO schools with a 23 and I can assure you your not getting in. That doesnt cut it anymore. No interviews and I hear that in the past, they have had around 60 students. Probably varys year and year though