LECOM Post Bacc 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha that wasn't a knock on the people in the program. Just Erie and what Erie has to offer

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm you guys are having fun with this.....I'll give my input later

Just gave someone this advice in a PM so I figured I'd share it.

The program takes off w/ biochem and physio and you will plenty overwhelmed with those....so you'd be better off starting with those and probably with biochem. I would recommend learning all the vitamins and their deficiencies and learning the amino acids (names, functional groups, and polarity). Those 2 topics are on every biochem test. I would also review glycolysis and citric acid cycle.

I also recommend Dr. Najeeb, who is an online med school teacher.

Focus mainly on the Powerpoints because that is where all the test questions come from.

Members don't see this ad :)
[Make sure you do your best Hulk Hogan voice while reading this]

Yo brother! [ripping off shirt]

The LECOM post-bac program is what we in the biz call... gambling. This ain't no normal gamble tho... this gamble is with yourself.

How is LECOM a gamble?
1. It is only a certificate program
-you do not get a Masters degree, nor do they promise you a masters seat
2. It is a difficult program
-if you finish with the min. requirements you will do well in 1st year... I know plenty of first years that are rocking it thanks to post-bac.
-if you want a cake walk, I suggest you head to the Cheesecake Factory, because this here is a real battle to the finish
3.There are lots of one-shot tests
-When you walk into a LECOM post-bac test sometimes you're the fire hydrant:mad:.... sometimes you're the dog:claps:... you smellin' what I'm steppin' in?

If you buckle down, here's the deal:
FACT: You MUST get a 22 on the MCAT (rumor has it this may go up a point or two next year --worst test ever)
FACT: You MUST achieve a 3.0 GPA ("Come on guys this is easy" --worst professor ever)
FACT: LECOM MUST accept you (don't do anything stupid e.g. get arrested)

"The race is long... but in the end it's only with yourself". For those that made it... I applaud you, and wish you the best of luck next year as a OMS-I. For those of you that will not be entering the medical school class, for whatever reason (MCAT, GPA, got arrested, no longer interested)... no hard feelings!

The bottom line is: How bad do you want it? LECOM gives you that one shot to show them what you got... so it's either nut up or shut up.... You either do it, or you don't do it... either way it's on you.

To all my little Hulkamaniacs, say your prayers, take your vitamins and you will never go wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was tipped off to all this stuff going on in the LECOM forum so I had to check it out...

For all of you SDN posters who are in limbo on what to do since you weren't accepted to a medical school I know this is a stressful time. (I was there one year ago) Furthermore, deciding which post-bacc is best suited to repairing your resume to make you competitive for the next med school cycle is truly a life decision. I was directed to LECOM (by JSLO85) and it's the greatest decision I'v made up to date. The program requirements are as straightforward as possible (22 MCAT and 3.0 GPA in their program) and you're reserved a seat in the next years MS1 class. Students in our class who have met these requirements have a seat as promised by LECOM. These are LECOM's standards for entry of post-bacc students and if you don't meet the requirements there is no bending the line because of a "unforeseen situation" that caused you to perform poorly... you just won't be accepted.

I know these stipulations may sound stiff but it's LECOM that's offering the olive branch to students whos applications were quickly dismissed by other schools. A 3.0 in their program with the required MCAT completely cleanses you of whatever was on your resume that was holding you back from medical school acceptance (undergrad sci-gpa, gpa, etc.) and grants your dream of becoming a medical student. It's a gamble because you either will become a medical student at LECOM or you'll bury your dream of becoming a doctor because you couldn't perform when everything was on the line at a medical school level and cause other schools to dismiss your application in the future.

The LECOM grading scale is block style, [A, B, C, F] there are no +/- that can give you some extra breathing room and that's part of the reason that getting the 3.0 is difficult. ( I had an 88 in a majority of my classes it's the same as if i had a 79.5) They compile multiple subjects into one tests which comes out to a 4 hour test and can be draining. The subjects and questiones are given at a medical school level so the information must be mastered if you expect to do well. It's true that some professors are not good at teaching (but what school have you ever gone to where every professor was great?) you simply have to overcome it by studying harder. I have never been treated "less than the medical students" by any of the faculty or anyone associated with LECOM. In fact, teachers like Dr. McCabe and others would take times out of their busy schedules to help me understand the information.

(the only thing that kind of sucks is that you have to wear a bright orange badge around that might as well be the "LECOM scarlet letter" , but it can also serve as motivation)

Also, I have gone out this semester on the town and had some good times (the city is actually fun) but the trick is to know yourself and to know when you're comfortable enough to go out and have a good time with friends you make in the program. I have received the letter of acceptance and am truly grateful i chose this program.

If becoming a doctor is truly what you wish to be then choose this program over any other program because your guaranteed a seat if you perform to LECOMS standards.

---- "whooooo change"

Oooihhhgh sewers it just got hot up in here...lol

Does anyone know if you can apply to both the Post-bac program as well as DO school in the same cycle? Meaning, if I wanted to apply to their DO school for Fall 2012 matriculation, could I also apply to the post-bac program for that same term and year?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if you can apply to both the Post-bac program as well as DO school in the same cycle? Meaning, if I wanted to apply to their DO school for Fall 2012 matriculation, could I also apply to the post-bac program for that same term and year?

Thanks!

Why not? It seems reasonable and actually quite logical. You're saying "hey, I really want to be a LECOM student." What kind of stats do you have? (You don't have to answer that). If you have good enough stats to get into the D.O. program in a traditional manner, then if you apply early enough (having everything complete to hit "send" on June 1st) than you should be ok.

That said, I would wait on applying to the post-bac program until much later in the cycle, say December. (FYI I applied in January and was accepted within a month). If you haven't landed an interview by that time after having applied on June 1st, then go ahead and send in the post-bac application. They will already have your transcripts and LOR (if you sent them a secondary for the D.O. program) so all it will take is an hour to fill out that application and you will be on your way.

So, don't send them both applications at once. Shoot for the D.O. program. No word come the Holiday Season, then hit up the post-bac. Good luck.

Oooihhhgh sewers it just got hot up in here...lol

:laugh: I'm glad. I really appreciate reading all of these perspectives on the program. I wonder if more will come out of the woodwork.

do you guys think its too late for me to apply to this program now?

Thanks!

I would highly recommend against applying to both at the same time. Before I entered the post-bacc, I applied to the DO school for fall of 2010 and was waitlisted after being interviewed, but never got off the waitlist. Therefore, in late July I applied to the post-bacc program and was accepted fairly quickly.

However, look at the timeline for applications first. If you are a competitive applicant to the medical school and are considered then you should have no problem getting into the post bacc if you apply later in the cycle. But if you aren't considered for an interview from the med school then apply as quickly as possible to the post-bacc to get in.

Best thing to do would be to apply to the med school, communicate with the admissions office to figure out where you stand as an applicant. BUT, do not mention post-bacc to them as this may alter their perceptions of you. Let them suggest it to you after you figure out how competitive you are as an applicant to the med school. Who knows you may even get in without having to deal with the post-bacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
After seeing my classmates post on here, i decided to give my input!

The reason i had chosen this program was bc i was attracted to the idea of only needing a 3.0 and a 22 mcat. The mcat score i already had, so i knew that all i had to be concerned with was the GPA requirement. In the beginning i though it would be easy bc its only a 3.0, but wow, i had to work my butt off to get that 3.0!!!

Also, a clarification is that you are NOT guaranteed a seat. i dont know why everyone keeps on bringing that up. you are guaranteed an INTERVIEW. with that said, if ur interviewd, u are most likely accepted. but still, in their acceptance letter to the post bac program, they specifically say "u are guaranteed an interview". personally i believe its due to them wanted to have some sort of freedom so that if they dont find u fit for their institution, they can deny you without any explanation.

PROS: ummm... sorry, im thinking!!! okay, i like the low requirements, however, do not be deceived, getting a 3.0 is harder than u think bc we dont have a +/- grading system. we have a great assistant to our program who is always willing to help in any way he can. he probably is the only nice person i think! The gym is awesome! and certain professors like our physio one are very helpful! Also, i loved that the lecom offeres 3 diff pathways! LDP, PBL, and independent.

CONS: the faculty and school is NOT student oriented. so do no think u can see the dean and tell him/her how u feel about the program etc, bc they could care less. the campus itself is super small- school consists of only one building. the timing of the courses puts us at disadvantages sometiems (like teaching micro in a week and a half right before the finals). Also, some professors teaching is questionable (biochem). and last, but not least, the erie weather! i feel like u can never get used to this much snow lol. Also, the fact that most ppl in the admin are related is an odd point as well. but as long as u stay out of their sight, they probably wont bother you. OH and i really do not enjoy the dress code policy (for women its not that bad, but for men, u gotta wear the tie and everything!) or the food policy (they had the janitors go thru our garbage cans to make sure we didnt have wrappers in there lol)

Since i am not a fan of lecom- i had chosen the independent pathway. bc in the end, i just want to be a doc. if i was younger, i prob would have waited for a better opportunity to roll around. But since i wasnt 22, i took this opportunity as a challenge and studied day and night.

one thing im not sure about , which i will ask one of the advisors about was that, ive heard that post bac that become first year meds, they have to maintain a 3.0 while the reg med students only need a 2.0 to stay in the D.O program? Again, do not quote me on it. if they do, i understand why since we have already taken most of the courses. but it just means, the pressure never ends!

SO, advice for all those out there, weigh out your options. see whats most important to you. if u have other acceptances, its a good idea to go to the schools and check it out!

GOODLUCK!!!

one thing im not sure about , which i will ask one of the advisors about was that, ive heard that post bac that become first year meds, they have to maintain a 3.0 while the reg med students only need a 2.0 to stay in the D.O program? Again, do not quote me on it.

Hmmm....

Last edited:
Also, a clarification is that you are NOT guaranteed a seat. i dont know why everyone keeps on bringing that up. you are guaranteed an INTERVIEW. with that said, if ur interviewd, u are most likely accepted. but still, in their acceptance letter to the post bac program, they specifically say "u are guaranteed an interview".

Hmm... It does say that one is guaranteed an INTERVIEW without any mention of acceptance. I actually questioned this as well and started to bring up some concerns. I can't help but think that maybe it will be better to stick around here and take classes at the University. A big move to Erie for a big MAYBE, even if I land that 3.0? I'm not so sure about that.

Hmm... It does say that one is guaranteed an INTERVIEW without any mention of acceptance. I actually questioned this as well and started to bring up some concerns. I can't help but think that maybe it will be better to stick around here and take classes at the University. A big move to Erie for a big MAYBE, even if I land that 3.0? I'm not so sure about that.

Although DOErie is in the program, numerous posters before have said get a 3.0 and a 22 and your in. Unless your a dbag the interview is really just a formality. This is also how the guy in admissions explained it to me. I understand the program is going to be hard work and getting a 3.0 will be very very hard. But who honestly going into the program thought this was going to be easy.

I just want to know all details before I leave this great city for Erie.

Lets say you apply to other DO schools the summer before the program starts. Is this frowned upon by LECOM, and do the other schools not really take your application seriously since they now you pretty much have an acceptance lined up at LECOM?

Lets say you apply to other DO schools the summer before the program starts. Is this frowned upon by LECOM, and do the other schools not really take your application seriously since they now you pretty much have an acceptance lined up at LECOM?

Won't affect anything.....they don't have time to look at all the schools that each applicant has applied to and really probably just don't care

I just want to know all details before I leave this great city for Erie.

It is what people say it is. It is hard, but will prepare you. If you succeed at it, you will appreciate....if not, you may regret it. I only took the prereqs for the MCAT in undergrad so for me, it was perfect. I know have a great science background, confidence, and study pattern going into med school next year. The program is stressful because it really is do or die. You can't fail any class (failing = <70%), (which for some classes consisted of only 1 test) or your done. In med school they give remediation if you fail a test and are much more reluctant to boot you. Postbac students usually have borderline applications so they really want you to prove to them that you can do it. And, from what I hear, postbac students ROCK med school.....like way ahead of their peers. They say that postbac consists of only 1/3 of the credits that you take in 1st year med.....but ask any one of us......that is utter and complete GARBAGE. They may only give us that many credits but the actual workloads are much more similar. With that said, if you do the postbac be prepared to learn independently. I know others have commented on how a few teachers were helpful outside of class...but had a rough time getting anything out of the majority of classes. I am, however, doing PBL because i'm not a good classroom learner. But, think this is so just because most teachers don't do it for me. There are some amazing online professors I could sit and pay attention and learn from for hours.....just not in the postbac. As far as guarantees and such....it's pretty simple.

LECOM guarantees you an interview after the 1 semester IF you don't fail any class in the 1st semester (many people didn't get one)

IF you do maintain the 3.0 and don't fail a class and get the MCAT 22 then you will PROBABLY get accepted. I haven't heard of any stories where ppl met these requirements and didn't get in.....so although it's not a technical guarantee....it is as close to it as it gets.

I got a 3.2 gpa first semester and I already had a 24 on the MCAT and I was just accepted to LECOM in Bradenton, Florida....which has higher entrance stats than Erie. I still have to maintain the 3.0 through the 2nd semester for the acceptance to stand.

For me, postbac has been exactly what I needed.....especially because I'm going to be PBL. PBL students only have a few....like 3-5.....tests per YEAR....whereas LDP has them every Mon. If you fail a test as a PBL student, your basically done....in LDP you can recover. With my preparation though, I know what kinds of questions are asked, the depth of info to know, what is important to study, how to study, and how to take tests....plus I have a good understanding of ALL of the 1st med classes. I am not in a better position to get an earlier start on studying for boards, getting A's 1st year (instead of just tying to pass), and be more competitive for residencies. Wheeww, that was my dollar and 2 cents.

Is there an interview in order to get into the Post Bacc program? Also, will they increase the intuition cost for this year?

Is there an interview in order to get into the Post Bacc program? Also, will they increase the intuition cost for this year?

No there is no interview for postbacc....and IDK about tuition and I don't think anybody does unless it says somewhere on the lecom website

Well, I've heard enough. After much thought, I don't think I will be in Erie come September. It sounds like a good deal for the most part, but the program seems to be too much of a gamble in the case of someone just needing a little bit more to get into school somewhere. My gut is saying NO, and I have learned that intuition usually shows the correct way.

Good luck to those in the program and those on their way. And thank you to all who came out and spoke their minds regarding this program.

Peace

For someone like myself, a sGPA of 3.1, cGPA 3.2 25Q 7VR 9BS&PS would this program be good or should I just retake the MCAT and try to get like 3 points higher and apply to DO schools again this summer. After reading about this program it seems like a good idea but also a big risk.

For someone like myself, a sGPA of 3.1, cGPA 3.2 25Q 7VR 9BS&PS would this program be good or should I just retake the MCAT and try to get like 3 points higher and apply to DO schools again this summer. After reading about this program it seems like a good idea but also a big risk.

You have a shot at getting in for this year with those stats....but if not yeah it's not a bad program....it's just a lot of work.

You have a shot at getting in for this year with those stats....but if not yeah it's not a bad program....it's just a lot of work.

IMO if she can bring that MCAT score up a few points she won't need a post-bac. The post-bac seems to be somewhat of a last minute hail-mary. Only toss it up when all other options have been exhausted. That's just my take on this. I'm thinking there is enough time on the clock to run a few more plays before I just heave for the endzone and risk a pick. You only do that when it's your last shot.

I don't know; I'm going back and forth on this. Completely disregard my ramblings during this extended moment of indecisiveness. My apologies. STRESSED!!! :eek:

IMO if she can bring that MCAT score up a few points she won't need a post-bac. The post-bac seems to be somewhat of a last minute hail-mary. Only toss it up when all other options have been exhausted. That's just my take on this. I'm thinking there is enough time on the clock to run a few more plays before I just heave for the endzone and risk a pick. You only do that when it's your last shot.

Like I said...I'm not sure she "needs" one now either....but I personally think that studying and putting lots of time into the mcat is pointless if you don't have to. It would be much better using that time/effort learning information applicable to med school. Studying long and hard for MCAT only helps to get into med school...not so much once you are there

Thank you for your help.
My overall GPA is a 3.12 and my science is well, a disappointing 2.97. I am taking my MCAT in June. I am thinking based on these stats that I am probably not in any good shape to be applying to the DO School, so I will probably end up applying to the Postbac program only.

This will probably be my last post in this thread stating my opinion about the program concerning applicants as I think it is clear of how I feel about how things have gone this year from my point of view. I'll stick to just answering benign questions =D

I saw the word gamble being used in some of the above posts and I personally don't believe that is correct. This program is not a gamble. Risk? Yes absolutely. Gamble? No.

A gamble to me refers to a situation where you largely lack control of the outcome. As a student in this program, you are in control and fully responsible for your results (again I'll throw out the disclaimer that this is my opinion only). Are there unexpected complications that occur? Sure. But this affects everyone in the class. Why are there those that do succeed/excel and those that do not?

I do agree with autum that almost everyone in our class is "smart enough" for medical school but that really isn't what this is about (again, my own opinion). If this was the case you could make a case for a large majority of the pre-meds applying for medical school rather than the smaller % of those that are accepted. It's far more about how prepared one was to handle medical school. I can't speak for everyone who recieved an acceptance but as we are a relatively close knit class, I do know most of those that made it and they all have the attributes of being either hard working, highly motivated/driven, mature or had the "fighting mentality of having something to prove". Maybe just one or a combination of those attributes. The material isn't easy but LECOM does offer methods to repair your GPA and offset the hard courses. The only "concerns" are whether you can fix your own deficiencies in time while not failing any course (giving you time to repair your GPA while still staying in the hunt). Bad scheduling like Microbiology where your grade revolved around a single exam basically was unfortunate but hey, getting a failing grade so low that you couldn't pull it up to a C with the watered down final for that section doesn't speak highly of the individual either (no offense intended). Yes it was a 100 some questions but then again, it made up the majority of the test leaving one to perhaps wonder why the adequate time wasn't put into it? If you can't hack it in this program, then really, do you think you would be capable of performing any better given the chance to matriculate prior to attending this program?

In regards to ScarletKnight (think it's a he guys haha), you are on the fringe of the lower range of traditional applications for osteopathic school. Your GPA is mediocre and your MCAT score is non-descript imo. Your best chance is to apply early and broadly in June and hope for early interviews if you decide not to attend a program. Also realize that by going through one of these programs (if you choose to list the program under predicted coursework), most schools will wait on your first semester grades before proceeding to make a decision. They do not know that you have an "acceptance" only that you are attending a graduate program at a recognized peer medical school. More often than not, if your interviewing experiences turn out like mine, they'll be interested in knowing more of the program that you are attending and your experiences there. Schools with their own SMP type programs are in general receptive to the idea of students pursuing this path.

I echo Cody's statements on the MCAT. The MCAT is only a predictor for them to gauge your future competency for the boards. If you were interested, the reason why the benchmark for the MCAT is set where it is because 22 is the bare minimum for medical students to still perform without complications for the boards according to surveys. The real question to me is whether you want to attend medical school or you wish to attend certain medical schools. Retake the MCAT (if you want a more competitive app) if you wish to have further options or are looking elsewhere other than LECOM, regardless if you choose to attend this program or not. If you aren't picky and would like to attend LECOM, then LECOM pb is a great way to experience and prepare for your first year of medical school while reserving a seat at the medical school for you to earn or lose largely by your own merit.

On a latter random note: LECOM made the US News Rankings for Best Primary Care!

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/lake-erie-college-of-osteopathic-medicine-04140

I don't know; I'm going back and forth on this. Completely disregard my ramblings during this extended moment of indecisiveness. My apologies. STRESSED!!! :eek:

I am in your EXACT position. I have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA good ECs and research with a 28P MCAT. My dad thinks I should apply to medical school as soon as applications open up this summer(I even write my secondary essays for the schools i'm applying to already!) and go to the LECOM post bacc program then if I get into a school just drop out at the end of the first semester. I dont want to quit my job if I dont have to. I dont know what to do:confused:. Has anyone in the program seen a student drop out bc they got into medical school while in the program? Is this common for people to do??

Last edited:
Alright. I was reluctant to reply to autum's first post because I agree with most of her points and I felt strongly that it was something that "belonged" in this thread as another valid viewpoint. But at the same time, there are a few clarifications that should be elaborated on and since someone asked above, i'll share my own personal thoughts on her concerns (valid points imo).

I'm not sure how much research or information each one of you have done in looking at special masters type programs, but they are not to be used liberally. Generally speaking, these programs (DO or MD) are used to correct a severe deficit in your application (usually GPA) in a short amount of time (1 year usually) by providing a chance to prove your academic capabilites against a medical school curriculum. The blade cuts both ways. For students like me and other classmates who had a torrid UG gpa and a plethora of units under our belt that prevented any realistic timeline of improving it through taking additional UG science classes, this was an efficient option provided we do well. For all students who aren't successful in the program, you just nailed your coffin shut. You just demonstrated that you just aren't fit to handle medical school coursework by your subpar performance in a "practice run".

Autum is right on both accounts that this program will prepare you for medical school and we did have somewhat of a catastrophic incident a particular biochem professor which resulted in a large majority of the class recieving a C or lower (me included). What I do disagree with is that we had the same exact professors as the medical students. Yes we experienced him first since physio and biochem were taught to us while MS1s were still on anatomy and embryo but they had his tests for the sections he was responsible for as well. On the subject of microbiology, the scheduling was brutal and similar to last year's class, there were several students who recieved a failing grade after the first test and could not recover. It's unfortunate that the scheduling still hasn't improved despite general complaints of this from past years but imo, the blame cannot be placed solely on the program itself but that the students should shoulder heavy responsibility for the grade they recieved.

Statistics are misleading and can be interpreted subjectively depending on which way you look at it. But I will say that I'm willing to bet money as well that you won't find another SMP out there that's willing to openly state that they'll accept any of the students in their program with a certain GPA and a certain MCAT outside of LECOM (DO), TU-NY (DO), Temple (MD). There is a significant difference between being guaranteed an interview meeting certain requirements and being given a conditional acceptance meeting certain requirements. It's what makes LECOM's post-bacc program unique imho.

Autum's absolutely right that stats shouldn't be held as the golden standard. Compared to previous years, our class' performance is unfortunately underwhelming and whether that is due to the negative impact of our biochem grades or whatever else can be debatable. It's just like match lists for residency, highly misleading if you look too deep into it. They sound great for publicity, but the only concrete factor that you can derive from seeing one is that such and such program was open to taking a student from this school. We have no knowledge of their board scores (his/her app in this scenario) or who he/she knew for connections, but that the program took him. Same thing for this program, you just know that LECOM has been open to the idea of taking back in X% of their students.

It really is unfortunate that many classmates won't be getting in and a couple particular situations have really hit close to home for me. At the same time, this is what this program was meant to do: provide a difficult curriculum and test whether students can sink or swim in an experiment simulating medical school. To me, it's highly unrealistic and idealistic to think hey, i'm going to pay 12,500 dollars into this program, chill for a year and get into medical school. If you talk to any of the students who did achieve a 3.0, the # of hours each of us spent studying is variable but I think I can safely say we all worked like hell for it. It sucks that many didn't make it and biochem certainly worked against us, but we all had the "clean slate" going into this program. We had the same lectures, same textbooks, same test questions, and the same opportunities to seek faculty assistance for help understanding the material. 22 of us from last year made a 3.0 and above, the rest didn't. That is all fact. Maybe extensive science background helped you might think? I know of several students with non-traditional backgrounds in that group of 22 and those with graduate degrees in anatomy or physiology that aren't apart of it. Point I'm trying to make is, we were all treated more or less the same yet some excelled and others didn't so the only practical thing I attribute that to is how much effort the individual put in.

The last thing I wanted to say was, that no one really knows for absolute certainty whether "grass is really greener on the other side". I know friends who are attending allopathic and osteopathic SMPs around the nation and there are plusses and negatives. There are plenty of things we don't know about such as whether the exact material and test questions are identical. For instance Touro NV can say they took back 70% or so of their students from their last year's pb class. That's great but take into consideration that TU-NV had 7 students total, 5 which made it in. The students accepted last year back into LECOM is 4x the TU-NV class size alone. Or you can look at PCOM where students do late interviews in March or April for spots on the waiting list where 20-28 students make it in each year from 1st and second yr combined. A student in AZCOM's MA has told me that they only interview students with a 3.5+ with expectations that only those with a 3.7+ should matriculate.

LECOM has it's faults no doubt about that. If you are deadset on going down the SMP route, you should make your decision based on the factors you hold most important. In medical school application, it's hard to find a guarantee which is why LECOM's conditional acceptance is (in my eyes) so valuable.

My 2 cents.

Well said :clap:

I am in your EXACT position. I have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA good ECs and research with a 28P MCAT. My dad thinks I should apply to medical schooly as soon as applications open up this summer(I even write my secondary essays for the schools i'm applying to already!) and go to the LECOM post bacc program then if I get into a school just drop out at the end of the first semester. I dont want to quit my job if I dont have to. I dont know what to do:confused:. Has anyone in the program seen a student drop out bc they got into medical school while in the program? Is this common for people to do??

I'm not sure but I think some schools may not like the idea of you bailing from the program, even though it's not from their school. People Have certainly earned acceptances with your stats. Apply early and broadly. But I wouldn't start the postbac if u Have intentions of possibly jumping ship.

Donny, with those stats I don't believe that you need the program. Your MCAT is a competitive score and your cGPA/BCPM isn't a problem either if you are applying to osteopathic schools.

On a seperate but somewhat related note, if you do get in elsewhere during the year, it's usually procedure to ask the school that which you have been accepted whether they still wish you to continue in the program. The wording goes somewhat along the lines of "does my acceptance to your medical school depend on my continued enrollment in *insert program name here*" and it's fairly common for the school to reply back no, "we accepted you based on your current stats" at which point you can choose to withdraw if you wish to. But remember to have it in writing and signed for your own protection.

@Donny

With those stats Donny, I would apply early as there's a very good chance you will be given interviews and considered. With how competitive applications have now gotten, I would put a 28q at around the average or slightly above average for most DO schools, and your gpas are good enough to NOT get rejected but also not great enough to guarantee you admission.

Your research will definitely set you apart from other DO applicants. Most DO applicants tend to come from smaller schools where research is not commonplace. I was surprised my fairly bull**** research I did (everyone at my school, Ohio State, did research), was considered a positive factor on my application by DO schools when I personally thought it was very weak.

That being said, remember that DO schools are usually regionally oriented. By this I mean that many schools prefer students from their areas, states, or a certain demographic. It is very frustrating as an applicant when you look at the statistics for a school such as West Virginia or Pikeville, realize you have a much higher MCAT score or other stats and have no shot of getting in. Also, as a first time applicant your file probably won't be looked upon as favorably as if you were applying say your 3rd or 4th time as DO schools also tend to prefer older students with more life experiences.

Therefore, my best advice is to focus on schools in w/e area of the country you live in, and also on all the privately owned DO schools. I do believe LECOM will definitely give you an interview as a traditional applicant as they seem to have a set formula for MCATs, gpa, etc. With my statistics last year (2.9 sgpa, 3.2 overall, 30r mcat), LECOM was the only school that gave me an interview (and waitlisted), because I suspect they have several checkpoints they use (>3.0 overall gpa, research, >certain MCAT score), to determine who gets an interview. Therefore, definitely apply here and see what happens (400 spots!), and focus on post-bacc afterwards.

@Dharma

Please refrain from giving misleading advice if you haven't been through the application process or been actively enrolled in this LECOM post-bacc program.

@Dharma

Please refrain from giving misleading advice if you haven't been through the application process or been actively enrolled in this LECOM post-bacc program.

With all due respect, I have every right to express my OPINION when I find the need to do so. That said, the adults here at SDN are more than capable of arriving at their own conclusions. This forum is for people to discuss matters as those mentioned above. It is a place where we can express our concerns and ideas, some of which may be disagreed upon or completely disregarded.

So, no... I won't refrain.

Something I completely forgot to mention as a tip for prestudying. Know the AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM in and out! it comes up in almost every subject multiple times. Dr. Najeeb has several videos on this and they are very helpful....but make sure you know it.....in as much detail as you can find. Types of receptors, intracellular mechanisms of receptors, locations of receptors, neurotransmitters, bodily affects of of sympathetic and parasympathetic stimulation, etc.

Something I completely forgot to mention as a tip for prestudying. Know the AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM in and out! it comes up in almost every subject multiple times. Dr. Najeeb has several videos on this and they are very helpful....but make sure you know it.....in as much detail as you can find. Types of receptors, intracellular mechanisms of receptors, locations of receptors, neurotransmitters, bodily affects of of sympathetic and parasympathetic stimulation, etc.

:thumbup: to useful words.

Quiet around here... wonder why?

Haha.....I'll tell you. All the postbac students just had an exam on Mon and we are all relaxing and enjoying ourselves....and we have already shared our opinions so unless there are questions, there isn't much to say.

Haha.....I'll tell you. All the postbac students just had an exam on Mon and we are all relaxing and enjoying ourselves....and we have already shared our opinions so unless there are questions, there isn't much to say.

Wasn't talking about you cats, rather us possibles.

Based on the passage, the author most likely used the word possibles to refer to

A. The possibility of being related to felines

B. The fact that the author was not referring those who have not shared their opinions.

C. The joining of a postbac society based upon the rigorous examination of cats.

D. The fact that the author believes potential postbac candidates have been reclusive in their lack of communication.

:shrug: I need to wait another month before I can apply. Need MCAT scores.

Based on the passage, the author most likely used the word possibles to refer to

B. The fact that the author was not referring those who have not shared their opinions.

C. The joining of a postbac society based upon the rigorous examination of cats.

D. The fact that the author believes potential postbac candidates have been reclusive in their lack of communication.

:shrug: I need to wait another month before I can apply. Need MCAT scores.

Hahaha! That's actually a really good VR MCAT question! You even have that one answer that sounds right but is really a just a misdirection.

With all due respect, I have every right to express my OPINION when I find the need to do so. That said, the adults here at SDN are more than capable of arriving at their own conclusions. This forum is for people to discuss matters as those mentioned above. It is a place where we can express our concerns and ideas, some of which may be disagreed upon or completely disregarded.

So, no... I won't refrain.

Any of you hit up this brewery? They have a nice looking selection.

http://www.eriebrewingco.com/Heritage.html

---
Dharma,
I am a current post-bacc student trying to give the best advice about the program and lead possible LECOM post-baccers in the right direction onto whether this program would fit to their different needs. I respect that you're trying to make a decision but some of your posts have rubbed us LECOM post-baccers the wrong way...examples listed above

What does a "selection of beers" from a Erie Brewing company have to do with a very important life decision on trying to get into medical school?

Why would you come off so cold to CodyDavis saying "I wasn't talking to you cats" when he gave you a nice response on why it's so quiet.

Saying "it's quiet around here wonder why"... as if you like "stirring the pot" on these forums rather than trying to help guide hopefuls in the right direction.

I understand your concerns about joining this program but since you're not any way affiliated with this program or LECOM I Feel it's best for the actual LECOM students to be dispensing the advice to people who are hesitant. I know you comment about our advice and make you're feelings known about your personal views on the program [ which is good and healthy for the forum] ... but don't come off so cold and unprofessional with your responses. We're about helping each other, not having a superiority complex.

Somebody is sensitive this morning.

My guess is "C".
LaughingCatAnimated-81db7e4ffdf3e1af9cb105b103d41d6b.gif

Last edited: