LECOM Post Bacc 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
that does seem like a pretty good verbal reasoning passage.....I never want to answer one of those questions again!

Members don't see this ad.

My LOE was sent off on March 4th and still hasn't been received by LECOM. Anyone else remember it taking a while to be received?

My LOE was sent off on March 4th and still hasn't been received by LECOM. Anyone else remember it taking a while to be received?

Same happened to me! I ended up calling LECOM and they said they never got them. Probably got misplaced... i just had interfolio take care of it. I believe they can overnight them to the school at no cost to you. Make sure you give Jamie a call so you know for sure. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question, does anybody know how long it takes for the box that says "The Admission Status portlet below will NOT show that your application has been received UNTIL we process it into our system - this is not an instant change. Please do not complete another application" to change after they've received all of your docs? Thanks!

Another question, does anybody know how long it takes for the box that says "The Admission Status portlet below will NOT show that your application has been received UNTIL we process it into our system - this is not an instant change. Please do not complete another application" to change after they've received all of your docs? Thanks!

Just give them a call and they will update it, thats what I had to do. I dont think they even downloaded my application until I called.

So I have decided to accept my seat into the program. I saw on the form that there is an option where you can be put on the roommate list or not. How does this work? and what type of preferences/special requirements are they looking for (non smoker, no pets etc?).

Pretty much. Last year we had a form inside the matric packet that was about the roommate list I think. Asked whether you wanted a female/male roommate, smoking/nonsmoking, pets/no pets, etc.

I have a similar question about LORs. I asked an instructor to write mine and she said she would but she still has not sent it in. I have another LOR from another instructor that she wrote for me for med or grad schools. Would it be a bad idea to send in this letter and just send in the new one later?

For those of who already got accepted to this program, how long did it take for the school to notify you guys?

For those of who already got accepted to this program, how long did it take for the school to notify you guys?

Once my application was complete and it went to commitee review I would say like 3 days until it said "a decision has been made" and then I got the letter in the mail about 4 days later

is the MCAT required to apply for the upcoming class?

No, but you will need to take it an get a 22 in order to get in. If you can do it and get it out of the way before, I would recommend that because you don't want to be worrying about it during the semester if you don't have to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry if this question has been answered before, but if you do get that 3.0 in the first semester and the 23 MCAT while in the PB program, do you have to follow through with the regular D.O. application process (undergrad transcript requests, aacomas, secondary, and then interview)?

Congrats to all who have been accepted to the LECOM post bacc c/o 2012 and good luck to those who are still waiting.

I am currently in the program and found it very helpful as prep for medical school next year. I was offered a seat at LECOM but decided to go to another program and am looking for someone to take over my room available at the beginning of July.

Rent is $280 plus utilities/month estimated to be no more than $350/month.

Since I will not be attending LECOM next year I have books for sale that will be required by the post bacc program and as 1st year OMS's.

Its a 3bdrm, 2 bath apt located off of 25th & Rudolph Ave. Outdoor parking spots, no garage. Apt. is about 3 miles from both main and bayfront campuses. Pet-friendly with a $300 nonrefundable deposit. You would be rooming with a 2nd year OMS at LECOM and a mechanical engineer working at local company. Both female. I will miss them dearly.

If you're interested in either (room or books) or both... PM me and we can chat.

Thanks and CONGRATS!!! :)

Last edited:
Two more weeks left in the program!

I haven't been posting in here as often as before due to time constraints but if anyone needs a specific question answered about the program, you can PM me and I can give my google voice # (would rather not post my actual number for obvious reasons).

Like "yodabeans" said haha, good luck and congratulations.

hehe. how time flies "jslo85"... can't believe its going to be over in two weeks!!! its been a super cool and fun experience. going to def miss the snow... and everyone. =)

and that goes for me too... if you have any questions... feel free to ask. =)

So my status has changed to "A decision has been made." For those that have made it through the program, when did you start your applications again for medical school? I'm wondering if I should start right away if I am accepted.

So my status has changed to "A decision has been made." For those that have made it through the program, when did you start your applications again for medical school? I'm wondering if I should start right away if I am accepted.

You can start at anytime. They'll remind you again during an admissions session where you will talk to Amy Rowe and some of the other LECOM admissions personnel on what they will want from you sometime in Oct or Nov and how LECOM admissions will work for the post-bacc students. In a nutshell, all post-bacc applications are put in a different pile from the start (after they receive your secondary) and will be reviewed after first semester to verify if you meet their GPA/MCAT requirement in which a formality interview ill be issued and a conditional acceptance given if those #s are met. If you are lacking in either stat, your app will be put on hold and rereviewed again at the program's completion date to see if you meet those #s.

On a slightly different note, it has come to my attention that the LECOM post-bacc will also qualify for their upcoming new dental school in Bradenton, FL.

http://www.lecom.edu/index.php/leco...eceives-initial-accreditation/76/0/1919/20396

http://www.lecom.edu/index.php/leco...al-school-at-bradenton-campus/76/0/1919/20217

I would speak to admissions for further details, but in passing conversation with a pre-dent classmate, the post-bacc program's agreement for matriculation to a LECOM professional program (pharm//DO before) will also apply to the dental school which will start their first class in 2012.

Sweet! I got my acceptance letter today. Should I start reading BRS biochem and physio now?

So I was denied acceptance. I called and left a message with Jamie to see what I can do to better my chances. A 3.1 gpa and a 25 MCAT I thought would have gotten me in. I know that this is a question for a different forum, but I kind of had my heart set on LECOM...Anyone have any good ideas on where to go from here?

So I was denied acceptance. I called and left a message with Jamie to see what I can do to better my chances. A 3.1 gpa and a 25 MCAT I thought would have gotten me in. I know that this is a question for a different forum, but I kind of had my heart set on LECOM...Anyone have any good ideas on where to go from here?

Hmmm did you have bad letters of rec or something or did you say something egregious in your essay. Keep calling until you get an answer then ask if there is anything you can do

No, I have great rec's. I do have a DUI in 2004 that I feel has been holding me back. I'm going to try calling again tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response.

Hey guys! Future post baccer I am! Any plans on a Facebook page so we can coordinate get togethers, housing, etc?

I called and they told me that my application wont be looked at until my DO application is officially rejected. Im scared that by the time I'm rejected from the DO program I might miss out on the Post Bacc because alot of the seats are gone. Anyone have my experience in the past?

Hey everyone!

I just received my acceptance last week and am starting the matriculation packet stuff. Congrats to everyone and good luck to those waiting! I will be making a big move from Florida with hopes of attending LECOM-B next year? Anyone else coming up from Florida? Also, looking for a roommate. I'm a 26 year old male, clean, non-smoker. Looking forward to meeting the new class!

Yes we should definitely get a FB group going soon to talk about housing, get togethers etc for the new class. Cant wait to meet you guys in September. I think it is still relatively early to make one.

Hey all :)

Currently working on my app. Hope to get it out by tonight. For those of you who have done this: the essay really gives no directions. I know you're all in the same boat as me, but about how long have some of yours been? I'm sure shorter and sweeter is better in this case, but it's such a broad question that I can say a lot, orrr not much at all. Suggestions?

Hello post baccers!
I also applied to enter post bacc 2011 at PCOM, LECOM, AZCOM and VCOM.
Anyone else apply to these? What is everyones overall option of these programs?
All I have ever wanted to do is become a physician. And after researching all of these programs, I understand that it is a lot of work, but the reward could be the most amazing thing ever. A lot of current post bacc students are negative about this process, and I have to say, it is getting a little discouraging. :eek:

Well, just wanted to introduce myself! Have a great day!!:D

I am planning on attending next year as well. We should make a facebook group! :)

And spectacularvern I just got accepted to the Midwestern AZ MA program. I'm still waiting to see which one I'm going to choose. I'm leaning LECOM though

Do we need a letter from a science teacher for letter of rec? Is it okay if we have a non-science letter of rec(since I am close to him)? Or a researcher letter of rec?

Hey all,

I created a facebook group for anyone interested. Just search LECOM postbac 2011. Hope you all join!

Hello all,

My status just changed to "made a decision...ect ect... letter will be in the mail"

Fingers crossed that I will be joining that Facebook group soon for LECOM!!!!! :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

So I called admissions the other day to confirm that they could pull my letters of rec from my LECOM app.. they said they could.

I also sent them transcripts.. buuuut what about MCAT? They didn't mention anything about that. Could someone let me know if I need to have those sent directly to the Post-Bacc program orrr will they have them from AACOMAS from my LECOM app.

Hello all,

My status just changed to "made a decision...ect ect... letter will be in the mail"

Fingers crossed that I will be joining that Facebook group soon for LECOM!!!!! :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Same here, just waiting to get that letter in the mail. Unfortunately I'm at school so I'll have to rely on my parents calling me with the good news.

So I called admissions the other day to confirm that they could pull my letters of rec from my LECOM app.. they said they could.

I also sent them transcripts.. buuuut what about MCAT? They didn't mention anything about that. Could someone let me know if I need to have those sent directly to the Post-Bacc program orrr will they have them from AACOMAS from my LECOM app.

I also had them use my materials from my LECOM DO app. They did did need my MCAT scores, only my transcripts. But call and double and triple check! lol Never know what can get lost in paperwork. :) Good luck!

Same here, just waiting to get that letter in the mail. Unfortunately I'm at school so I'll have to rely on my parents calling me with the good news.

LOL! GOOD LUCK!!!! Apparently, the letter does not take 30 days like it says on the portal, most people got the letter a week after their status changed! ah!!! The address that I put was my grandmothers so I am also waiting on a call from her saying she got the letter. Lol, so I am putting my faith in an 88 year old woman in not losing the letter! :)
Hope you hear good news~!

Got the letter today.....

IM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

Still going to wait on PCOM GA and PA but wooot!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

hey everyone - i've been accepted to LECOM as well as PCOM's post bacc programs. i'm tied up between the two, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions:

PCOM:
It seems like everything i've read about PCOM (GA and philly) in other forums was pretty positive. It also seems like the program has led many people to high GPA's. However, it sounds like alot of the people were off on their own after the 1st year because of the late guaranteed interviews.

LECOM:
I think the 23 MCAT and 3.0 GPA is awesome for a guaranteed acceptance, but from reading parts of this forum, it seems like the 3.0 in the program is pretty rough and if you don't make the cut, a 3.0 isn't going to help for a post bacc GPA...

Please give me your input/thoughts regarding these programs. thanks.

hey everyone - i've been accepted to LECOM as well as PCOM's post bacc programs. i'm tied up between the two, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions:

PCOM:
It seems like everything i've read about PCOM (GA and philly) in other forums was pretty positive. It also seems like the program has led many people to high GPA's. However, it sounds like alot of the people were off on their own after the 1st year because of the late guaranteed interviews.

LECOM:
I think the 23 MCAT and 3.0 GPA is awesome for a guaranteed acceptance, but from reading parts of this forum, it seems like the 3.0 in the program is pretty rough and if you don't make the cut, a 3.0 isn't going to help for a post bacc GPA...

Please give me your input/thoughts regarding these programs. thanks.

I would also like advice between deciding between these two programs. Thanks!

I would also like advice between deciding between these two programs. Thanks!

Heres the way I see it. At the LECOM program you control your own fate and at PCOM you control a lot of it but not all of it. Get a 3.0 and meet the MCAT min and its as close to a sealed deal as you can get. Therefore, everything rests on you....but your going to have to put in a s**t ton of work to get the 3.0 and study like a med student. From what I have read about PCOMs program you can still do well in the program and end up without a seat in the next class. why not go for the gaurantee. What advantage is PCOM giving you by attending their program, an interview im late march/april, how the hell is that gonna help you start medical school in august. It sure would suck to do very well in the program and not get a seat at PCOM becuase the class was all but full when you interviewed. at LECOM you have an interview in january with a conditional acceptance made very clear to you before you start. Now obviously you know the program is going to be very tough, but this is a do or die situation and you have to know going in that you HAVE to rock it.

Last edited:
Heres the way I see it. At the LECOM program you control your own fate and at PCOM you control a lot of it but not all of it. Get a 3.0 and meet the MCAT min and its as close to a sealed deal as you can get. Therefore, everything rests on you....but your going to have to put in a s**t ton of work to get the 3.0 and study like a med student. From what I have read about PCOMs program you can still do well in the program and end up without a seat in the next class. why not go for the gaurantee. What advantage is PCOM giving you by attending their program, an interview im late march/april, how the hell is that gonna help you start medical school in august. It sure would suck to do very well in the program and not get a seat at PCOM becuase the class was all but full when you interviewed. at LECOM you have an interview in january with a conditional acceptance made very clear to you before you start. Now obviously you know the program is going to be very tough, but this is a do or die situation and you have to know going in that you HAVE to rock it.

Thanks for the quick feedback. i should be making a decision by the end of the week.

My girlfriend just finished up with her post-bac and she was just shy of getting a 3.0. I was wondering if she could still get in since her MCAT score was a 21. She really put the time and effort to study all the material that needed to be taken during her time in post-bac. Can anyone help?

My girlfriend just finished up with her post-bac and she was just shy of getting a 3.0. I was wondering if she could still get in since her MCAT score was a 21. She really put the time and effort to study all the material that needed to be taken during her time in post-bac. Can anyone help?

I don't think there is any chance for her to get into LECOM. Although she was close on the GPA requirment, she didn't meet the 3.0 benchmark and her MCAT is 2 points below the cutoff. I know a couple of people from this years post-bacc that far exceeded the 3.0 GPA but missed the MCAT and were still rejected. Missing on both objectives (MCAT & GPA) doesn't put her in good standings with getting accepted to LECOM (i'm not sure about other schools). This is by no means disrespect because I'm sure she worked her tail off in that ridiculously hard program. I wish her the best of luck in her pursuit of becoming a doctor.

So the program's over and most if not all of the class should know where they stand at around this point. I've neglected this thread for a while so I'll try and answer some questions that were posed though I think Docdonny is pretty spot on in his perspective.

PCOM's Cert program or 1st year of their MBS is pretty analogous to LECOM's and the main difference is how the administration and the school itself views their graduate program. If given the choice between the PA campus and GA campus prior to the expansion of class size at GA, I would definitely go with the PCOM PA campus due mainly to their far larger class size (220+?). The MBS class size for both campuses are roughly the same leaving one to only wonder how many GA was willing to accept back into their own school if their class size (before expansion) was only 80-90 students. I think the #s that were tossed around in past PCOM threads was about 8-10 back into GA from their MBS program and 15-20 from both 1st and 2nd year MBS students at PA campus. Another way to look at it is, with LECOM you theoretically have one solid established school that will accept you if you are successful. With PCOM, you have alot more of the "maybe" factor. They do interview late but PCOM's name carries some weight with many of the other DO schools so you can decide for yourself which is more important, having one school accept you for sure or having an improved chance of getting accepted in general.

As for LECOM, like Docdonny has said, your future is largely in your own hands. The cutoffs are explained on orientation day and though there may be some slight negotiation on the GPA side, the required MCAT is set in stone. The only thing that can be "negotiated" on the MCAT end is the date at which that score is required. The price between the two programs are roughly comparable for tuition but I would find it hard to believe that you can find a cost of living cheaper than that in Erie. Another point that potential post-bacc students might consider when looking at both programs is PCOM requires a certain # in each section as a minimum (you can ask an admissions counselor for what that is) which may or may not influence your decision to attend either school.

Since the program's over, stats on where everyone will be ending up should be circulating soon after final grades are signed off on by the PD. The difficulty of the program is really subjective but regardless of the individual, I can safely say it requires a substantial amount of effort. If you're capable of processing information that you read/hear easily and have the ability to retain, analyze, apply and regurgitate information at a moment's notice, then the time required to study will dramatically decrease compared to the average student (neagrac comes to mind).

The difficulty is often two-fold or three-fold for most incoming students in that a) their study habits were lacking/inefficient, b) simply not used to analyzing and applying concepts/specifics to hypothetical clinical scenarios, c) lack of focus and determination. This is strictly my own opinion so everyone can choose to disagree or agree. My own advice for this program is hit the ground running on day 1 and avoid digging yourself that hole from the start. Aim to always excel but if **** hits the fan, be realistic and delegate your time wisely in strategizing future plans to succeed.

I also wanted to make this clear and this is also my own opinion (disclaimer). This program is not meant to educate you so much as to demonstrate that you are capable of handling medical school. That said, I could not be happier with my result after completing the LECOM program and I think that applies for quite a few of my classmates as well.

thanks alot for your response jslo85, that will really help with my decision. best of luck to you!

I also had them use my materials from my LECOM DO app. They did did need my MCAT scores, only my transcripts. But call and double and triple check! lol Never know what can get lost in paperwork. :) Good luck!

Sorry, just to clarify - do you mean they did NOT need your MCAT scores? I'll def double check but figured I could get a more immediate response here :)