LECOM Post Bacc 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else doing this program?

Members don't see this ad.

hey ya'll! i made a facebook group for this year's post bacc group...feel free to join!

just search: LECOM post-bacc 2010 on facebook groups

see you all soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
How does everyone like the program? I hear that the experience varies from year to year. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I enjoy the program here at LECOM and I believe most of my classmates do as well. There are probably a couple of differences from last year in that there was a new biochem professor and a new microbiology professor but the material generally stayed constant. I don't exactly know what you're asking but if you ask more specific questions, I can probably answer them.

I will be applying this year. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The program is at an osteopathic school and their linkage conditional agreement with the students applies to only their programs which would mean if you wanted to purely enter their professional programs (DO or pharmacy), this program would establish that for you.

That said, it does not only apply to DO school if you're looking to apply elsewhere. However, I would recommend you attend an allopathic SMP (BU MAMS, Georgetown SMP, VCU Cert, etc) if you wish to attend an MD institution. I do have classmates wanting to apply dental and doing both AMCAS and AACOMAS apps.

Thanks for your quick response! To be more specific, how are the matriculation opportunities to the LECOM campuses? I know that they vary, and the rumor is approx. 90% on a contingency basis set forth by the school. If you don't mind me asking: what are the "typical stats" of your peers? I am personally debating whether my application is strong enough on its own, or would need some reinforcement via the program. Thanks.

I can only speak for this year as policies undoubtedly do change in some aspects. The "matriculation opportunities" that you mention for the post-bacc biomedical class are a seat in the professional program of your choosing contingent on whether you meet the requirements that they set forth.

Requirements:
1. An MCAT score meeting their minimal requirement. Again the actual minimum score may be privy to change from year to year.
2. A minimum of a 3.0 GPA or higher in the program.
3. A recommendation from the program director regarding your professionalism as a student (based off attendance, meetings, comments from faculty/administration, etc)

Last year had about 13 people not meet the GPA requirement and out of those that did, roughly 75% of the successful GPA candidates made it back into LECOM programs out of a class of 63-65 with roughly 80 some percent making it into medical school (I think there was one that went to DMU and another who went to WVSOM). So the 90% isn't quite correct but again, it depends on your performance in the program and not a "set number of seats" that LECOM reserves. Quoting an administrator from orientation day, every single student in the program has a seat waiting for them. It's basically yours to lose.

As for typical stats, everyone has different reasons for being there. I have a classmate with a 32 MCAT and a 3.0 cGPA and roughly a 2.8 sGPA in UG. I have a 2.78 cGPA 28 MCAT classmate from Texas. Some have lower GPAs and others have low MCATs, so everyone has different deficiencies in one way or another. Others probably lacked a "complete" application with LORs and E.C.s.. the list goes on and on. For the most part, I would venture out to say that most have low MCATs and roughly a 3.1-3.4 GPA but that may be an overgeneralization. Some have had interviews at other DO schools or interviewed at Erie but were not accepted and were going through this program to enhance their application.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck jslo! I'm know you'll be an OMS-I soon enough.

Thanks for the info jslo! I submitted my application on 12/28/10. I already got in my transcripts, mcat, LORs, and resume in.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can use a commitee letter when applying instead of a rec letter from one specific treacher?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck jslo! I'm know you'll be an OMS-I soon enough.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info jslo! I submitted my application on 12/28/10. I already got in my transcripts, mcat, LORs, and resume in. I was wondering what are my chances for this post-bac. I have 3.20 gpa, 3.16 scigpa, 21P mcat (will be retaking it), and majored in biotechnology at UC Davis.

The chances are quite good and even better if you apply earlier. You will need to retake the MCAT though and I'd advise prior to the program. I don't know your exact stats and the rest of your app (LOR/CV/etc) but with a strong MCAT score (27+) I think you would have a chance at osteopathic schools through traditional pathways. I enjoy the program and feel that it is a great preparation for medical school in far more aspects than one, but in your situation, I would take into consideration of simply retaking the MCAT as well.

Does anyone know if you can use a commitee letter when applying instead of a rec letter from one specific treacher?

Thanks

You can use the committee letter to substitute for two professors I believe, but I forget if that was for their medical school application or the post-bacc. I'd check with Jamie at admissions or reread their letter requirement pdf to make certain.

Again, thanks for the information. I'll be retaking the MCAT on January 29th, hopefully it'll be better. I just got a update from LECOM portal regarding my application status. Apparently, the Admissions Committee has made a decision and I will be receiving a letter in 30 days.

Yeah I'd go with traditional application based on your stats if you have a much higher MCAT but the biomedical program is another good option.

I'm a Davis alum myself so it'd be nice to see more students from cali over here. Good luck.

Thanks! Yes, it will all depend on how I score on the mcat. I did submit my AACOMAS for this year, but I regret submitting it now. I am looking at other programs as well such as PCOM, TUCOM-NV MHS, USF Master's Program, etc. No doubt, LECOM's post bac is my first choice. The biomedical program is a good option, but I'm not into taking the GRE at the moment.

I have some friends there for their pharmacy program from UC Davis and I told couple of friends about the program, so they are applying there as well. You would be surprised how many people don't know about the LECOM's post bac or the biomedical program.

I've heard a lot of good things about LECOM and I am definitely considering their post-bacc program. However, I am not sure whether to apply to the post-bacc program or the MS program.

Is one of the two recommended over the other in terms of increases one's chances of admissions at LECOM?
And, is it considered to still be relatively early in the application cycle?

Thanks all.

I would apply to the post-bacc program if your goal is to enter their medical school.

The M.S. is structured as a two year program where the coursework is completed during the first year along with the post-bacc class and the second year is dedicated to i think several graduate courses and lab work under one of the faculty along with a thesis. GRE is required and I'm not positive as to whether the conditional acceptance applies to them as well, but I assume so? Our current class rep is the only masters student that went through our first semester with us and I know she's studying for the MCAT but not really sure what applies/doesn't apply in her scenario so I can't comment on that.

As for early, that's relative. I know of several cases who have already applied and actually one who was unfortunately rejected. I would assume that applying in february or march would still be fine but that at least quite a few are sending in apps now. I have heard rumors of the min MCAT req increasing by a point or two so definitely check with the admissions office to hear the correct figures as next year's admission requirements for the program may have increased.

If there are personal questions, you can PM me about it, but I do frequent this thread constantly so I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

I would apply to the post-bacc program if your goal is to enter their medical school.

The M.S. is structured as a two year program where the coursework is completed during the first year along with the post-bacc class and the second year is dedicated to i think several graduate courses and lab work under one of the faculty along with a thesis. GRE is required and I'm not positive as to whether the conditional acceptance applies to them as well, but I assume so? Our current class rep is the only masters student that went through our first semester with us and I know she's studying for the MCAT but not really sure what applies/doesn't apply in her scenario so I can't comment on that.

As for early, that's relative. I know of several cases who have already applied and actually one who was unfortunately rejected. I would assume that applying in february or march would still be fine but that at least quite a few are sending in apps now. I have heard rumors of the min MCAT req increasing by a point or two so definitely check with the admissions office to hear the correct figures as next year's admission requirements for the program may have increased.

If there are personal questions, you can PM me about it, but I do frequent this thread constantly so I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Cool. Thanks man. What kind of MCAT would they want to see for the post-bacc consider a GPA 3.36 (for science as well)?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure for next cycle. Things operated slightly differently in admission requirements for my class according to some updates that some other SDNers tell me from their talks with Admissions for the post-bacc next year. In the case of the rejection that I know of, her cGPA was also a 3.36 but her MCAT was regarded as too low in which she stated that they were looking for a 23+. I would hazard a guess as that is the current magic number but you can always call to make sure.

I just got my acceptance letter. From the letter, they did raise the minimum MCAT score to 23.

"Postbac students who apply to the LECOM Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Program will be interviewed during the first semester of the Postbac Program. Postbac students are required to maintain a 3.0 grade point average in the Postbac program and achieve a minimum score of 23 on the MCAT for acceptance to the D.O. program".

Unless they're changing their policy, post-baccs usually get interviewed late January or February. The reason is they need to see the first semester grades but maybe they have decided to switch things around.

Good to know about the min MCAT change. My recommendation to you in particular is to retake it and get the score prior to the start of the program. The classes are time consuming as it is as the material/exam quest. are about the same as those for the M1s. Yes you score may improve if you wait till January after you finish the first semester courses and use the knowledge gained from physio, etc. but it is far better if you have time now.

Congrats on the acceptance.

A few quick questions:

1. Does the program accept LORs from Interfolio?

2. About how long does it take from submitting the application until receiving word on admissions?

Thanks guys!

Hello.

1. Once you complete the application, you get an email for further instruction. Though it states it does not accept LORs electronically, I submitted them through Interfolio.

2. I submitted my application on 12/22, got my confirmation/status email on 12/28. I got my letter on 01/15.

A few quick questions:

1. Does the program accept LORs from Interfolio?

2. About how long does it take from submitting the application until receiving word on admissions?

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the info. As for the LOR, was it sent from Interfolio via snail mail? (I'm assuming so).

I submitted them electronically (it was sent electronically and not snail mail)

Last edited:
I filled out my application about a week ago but when I check the status online it says that my application still has not been processed by the admissions office. For those of you who rtecently applied, is this happening to you or was your application processed relatively quickly. Just want to know if this is normal before I call asking about it.

Thanks

jslo-

Is an MCAT score required for admission to the LECOM PB program? My Post-Bacc Pre-Req coursework will be finished in June and I'll be taking an August MCAT. Thanks.

If not I' just going to apply within the traditional pathway, but it would be nice to get a jump on OMS-1 (hopefully)

As I had said before, I'm not sure about how things are going to be run next year in terms of the MCAT requirement. Jackykun confirmed that they had bumped it up a point for the actual requirement during the program for the conditional acceptance but I'm not sure if they are setting a requirement for acceptance. Another SDN member had updated me on how her application process went and based off of that and Jacky's stats, I'm not quite certain how they are looking at the apps for next year. I'd recommend sending it anyway and finding out for yourself.

Good luck

Is there a glide year for students between the post-bacc and med school, or can you go straight into LECOM the following year?

The conditional acceptance is for a seat in the medical school class for that July, no glide year.

I finished the application, yet I did not see any prompt to send transcripts. Will they have access to my transcripts via the AACOMAS application (which was verified back in August)? I know they have access there if they choose to look.

Also, I was reading last year's thread and it seems as if they didn't send out acceptances until May, while it appears as if they have already sent out a few this year. Does their committee meet regularly (e.g. once a month, once every 2 months)? I'm just trying to get an idea of when I will hear from them.

Dharma, you should just call admissions if you want the actual answer for when they review applications or if they will check AACOMAS for your transcripts as opposed to having to mail in official copies to Erie. If there are deviations between their procedure (sending acceptance dates) from last year to this year then only they would be able to give you an accurate response.

For the record, I used my AACOMAS application that they had on file in Erie for my transcripts/coursework after talking to the admissions adviser that was responsible for the program.

Dharma, you should just call admissions if you want the actual answer for when they review applications or if they will check AACOMAS for your transcripts as opposed to having to mail in official copies to Erie. If there are deviations between their procedure (sending acceptance dates) from last year to this year then only they would be able to give you an accurate response.

For the record, I used my AACOMAS application that they had on file in Erie for my transcripts/coursework after talking to the admissions adviser that was responsible for the program.

Alright. Will do. Thank you.

I emailed Jamie for more information about the conditional acceptance and he said:

"Yes their is a direct linkage to LECOM. If you maintain a 3.0 in the Post Bac, do not fail any class, achieve a 23 on the MCAT, complete a successful interview, you are guaranteed a seat barring an extreme situation.

As a Post Bac student, we will still allow you to receive the secondary in order to file an application if you happen to be below any of our DO minimums so that we can process and complete the interview. This may happen if you are below a 23 and are taking the Jan MCAT. Rather than wait until March for the score, we will still interview you in Feb and wait for ther final MCAT score.

The GPA min is 2.7 for a secondary application. If you are in the Post Bac and have an OVERALL GPA (Undergrad through the present) under the 2.7, you will still get a supplmental so that we can process your application."

As for pharmacy post-bac students:

The linkage is the same for the Pharmacy school as the DO school. The pre-requisite classes are different, but we often have Post Bac pharmacy students alongside Post Bac DO students.

There is no minimum PCAT. The average PCAT is 60 for the matriculating students. The main factor that will be evaluated is the science GPA

My status just changed" the admission committe had made a.........letter in 30 days"
I am hoping it's a good news?I only applied 2 weeks ago . I wasn't expecting it so fast?

Dang, I feel like my application is going to be late.:oops:

Me thinks you will be ok PunkMed. Jump on it though! Hopefully we'll be seeing each other in September :D

You'll be ok they just started the process:)
I noticed in my lecom portal new financial aid tab and bookstore tab ! Anyone have both tabs before acceptance ? I am really nervous , as I am waiting on my letter.
Can someone confirm the tabs exist or not for me please?
I know it's silly but hey whatever ease my mind

No clue about the tabs.

Good luck though on the applications and I hope the responses are positive for all of you.

If you have any questions in particular about the program, housing in Erie, or whatever else concerning this that comes to mind, I can try answering when time allows.

Me thinks you will be ok PunkMed. Jump on it though! Hopefully we'll be seeing each other in September :D

I noticed in my lecom portal new financial aid tab and bookstore tab ! Anyone have both tabs before acceptance ? I am really nervous , as I am waiting on my letter.

Thanks and good luck to you both. I won't be able to submit my transcripts until Feb, but hopefully I can still be a shoe in.:)

Dang, I feel like my application is going to be late.

Haha. I think it is relatively early in the application process, so I think it is fine to submit it now or in Feb.

I just got my matriculation packet in my email. WOOT!

Haha. I think it is relatively early in the application process, so I think it is fine to submit it now or in Feb.

I just got my matriculation packet in my email. WOOT!

Thanks!! And Congrats!!:D

The turnaround for this program (in terms of hearing back after applying) is very short this year. I was reading in last years threads about most people applying in jab/feb didnt hear back in april/may. I applied two weeks and "I will recieve notification of the decision within 30 days".

I am currently in the final stages of finishing up my application and both of those tabs appear in my portal.

I applied a couple weeks ago. Hopefully will see some of you in the fall. I'm kind of upset that I even applied for medical school this cycle. I applied to six schools, received one post-interview rejection from UNE, and haven't heard from the other 5.

My interview at UNE went quite well, but they pretty much told me my MCAT score was making it difficult to accept me, and I should try again later. I think the only reason I even got the interview was because I am finishing up my undergrad degree at UNE...

Looking forward to meeting Erie, PA! Hope to hear back soon! The curriculum for the post-bacc sounds great, I was really nervous that I would be retaking the courses I already completed during the post bacc, but it looks like it will be new courses aside from a few repeats!

So I am wondering if anyone else is planning on taking this route? What is the campus like? I've never been to check out the campus, but have been in the area once or twice. So feedback on that would be appreciated as well. I am planning on working during the program. Is that realistically possible during the program? Also, what is living like? I would love to find a roommate if that is possible. I have worked throughout my undergrad degree and have an amazing way of balancing it all. Also, just want to confirm that there is no "glide year" between post-bacc and the first year of medical school.

So this isn't the way this was "suppose to" happen, but I am confident that I can make the best of this. Getting into medical school wasn't meant to be easy!

Looking forward to meeting Erie, PA! Hope to hear back soon! The curriculum for the post-bacc sounds great, I was really nervous that I would be retaking the courses I already completed during the post bacc, but it looks like it will be new courses aside from a few repeats!

The material taught for the PB curriculum are taken straight from the core curriculum for the MS1s by the LECOM faculty so even if you had taken something akin to the course title (I did in UG) before, it really doesn't prepare you for what is taught. No, I'm not trying to exaggerate. What I mean is the vast majority of the courses taught here are clinical based so say for the cardiovascular system in physiology, instead of emphasizing the circulatory system, you would be looking at aortic stenosis, regurgitation, bundle blocks and MIs on EKG, etc. because it's already expected for you to have known the rest. I actually found this to be extremely refreshing to learn something that is clinically applicable.

So feedback on that would be appreciated as well. I am planning on working during the program. Is that realistically possible during the program?

I have a classmate that is working but it is highly not recommended. If you just take into account the class time each day, it's doable to hold a part time job, but the amount of studying varies for each person as well as his/her goals on what grade you wish to achieve. I wouldn't recommend it personally.

Also, what is living like? I would love to find a roommate if that is possible. I have worked throughout my undergrad degree and have an amazing way of balancing it all

Well. Since you've been to Erie, I guess you know more or less how the city is structured. You'll be taking class at the Bayfront Campus so if you want to be "close" then you should start looking at the downtown area or 26th if you don't want to run along Peach each day. The nicer area in general would be near the main campus in Millcreek. Roommates are a nice bonus if you find one that works well with you. Cuts down on rent and provides great support since both of you will probably be going through exactly the same thing.

Also, just want to confirm that there is no "glide year" between post-bacc and the first year of medical school.

Confirmed. There is no glide year if you are successful.

So this isn't the way this was "suppose to" happen, but I am confident that I can make the best of this. Getting into medical school wasn't meant to be easy![/QUOTE]

Yup, once you start meeting your classmates you'll hear about all sorts of different backgrounds and tales. Some will have families and others straight out from college and others with very different backgrounds from your own. LECOM is a solid school and this program is highly recommended by me in preparing you for your first year as well as being successful in sending students into medical school.

Update: We did get our interviews done a week or two back and the first round (of a couple) of conditional acceptances have gone out and been recieved.