LECOM Post Bacc 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i don't get this program because those requirements are the same for normal DO admission so isn't post-bac usually people with lower mcat/gpa requirements?

Also, how many seats are available and interviews and applications received for this Post-bac?

Yes it is for people with lower MCAT or GPA but it could also be for those who applied too late in the process or didn't apply and whished they had and want to do something to strengthen their app/guaruntee a position at LECOM the following year. By maintaining that 3.0, you're further proving to schools that you're cut out for medicine.

Not sure about how many seats are available, but if you're thinking about applying I would still do so because people who have committed to the program may be backing out now because they've gotten off the waitlist at other schools (me for example) so spots are definitely still open. Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

How do you send MCAT scores to LECOM???? LECOM is not listed as one of the recipients on the score-report website...

On the application, it says: "You may submit a resume if you have more than two relevant employer or volunteer experiences" but there's no space to upload a resume...

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't get this program because those requirements are the same for normal DO admission so isn't post-bac usually people with lower mcat/gpa requirements?

Also, how many seats are available and interviews and applications received for this Post-bac?

I suggest you read some of my earlier posts. (also look at hoose and jslo)... i know jslo from the program and value his thoughts.. hoose im not sure who that is but they are accurate as well...

Last edited:
So I read somewhere that out of the 60 or so students who started the program, 14-15 were admitted to the school. Just wanted to ask those who completed the program why they think that is. It doesnt really create any concerns for me about the program itself, but im kind of curious as to why. The post bacc program at LECOM cannot be harder than the first year of medical school at LECOM since your taking a slightly watered down version of the first semester cirriculum. From reading posts from previous students who if they were not sleeping, eating, or working out they they were studying and people saying how rediculously hard the program was, I get confused. From other threads on SDN specifically concerning workload in med school, you have a good amount of free time in med school and most students spend about 4-5 hours a day outside of class studying. Then I read this thread and the program is a job that consumes every waking hour of the day. Is this because you have to get a 3.0? or is this because students in the program have too low of stats for evern DO admission which correlates somewhat with med school success and therefore struggle through the program more than the the average person from say the georgetown post bacc with a 3.6 30 MCATwould? I dunno im sort of rambing now but I was just curious.
Thanks for any input

Last edited:
@docdonny

There were actually about 25 kids admitted. Some people didn't get in because of the MCAT requirement. And yes, there were probably a few people admitted with low stats who figured out they couldn't handle the workload.

It wasn't that the program was difficult as was the pressure that came with getting the 3.0. We are taking a watered down version of the first year curriculum but it's watered down in the sense that we're doing about 75% of the material with no labs. So you do have alot of time to study. I'd say I studied for maybe 4-5 hours a day and never paid attention in class. The difficulty of the material is still the same...same profs, exam questions, powerpoints, and readings. What makes the exams so tough at lecom is that the majority of the questions are exactly like what you would see on your board exams. On the boards, like the MCAT, your score is scaled so even if you got a 75% that could be a great score but at lecom a 75% is a 75%. There are rarely any bonus questions and absolutely no curves. Plus with how few questions there are, you really can't afford to do poorly.

Because the goal was to pull B's in all the classes, there was substantial pressure to do well and not trip up. That's the reason it seemed as though everyone studied all day every day. Plus, the exams were 4 hour marathon sessions covering 3-4 subjects at a time. In the med school, where if you get a bad grade, as long as it's a passing score, you can shrug it off. In this program you don't get many chances with how few exams there are. On the first anatomy exam I got a 67 and had to wait 3 weeks to get a shot at pulling it up (which i did eventually to an 87).

This is why we all complain about how difficult the program is and how much this past year sucked. But I feel like i'll dominate first year here now!

I still think it was a very stressful year.

I think it depends on the person whether its the MCAT or GPA that holds them back. If I had to make a guess I'd say its more the GPA. I didn't know too many people that couldn't get the MCAT score.

As to why the post bacc program is difficult, I'm still not sure I can put a finger on it. I think its a mixture of no curve, no bonus, not many points, and how the credits are distrubuted. Its really hard to explain without going through it yourself.

A good example was the micro course. It carried two credits and only had like 125 points. One exam and a 30 point final. If you fail the one exam your done. A 30 points final would never bring you up too far.

I think they go as low as a 23, because they know if you can get a 3.0 in the program you will be successful in the pre-clinical years. If you applied to the DO program without going through post bacc with a 23, I have a feeling you woulnd't get accepted.

I think the biggest thing for me was that if I didn't get in I would have been screwed. I didn't apply anywhere else because I like LECOM a lot! So I would of had all my undergrad loans plus my 30K loans from LECOM with no future plan! I messed up the first semester so had the pressure of doing really well the second semester. So all I did was study.

Last edited:
can someone post the admissions requirements for the program? Also, can you apply without MCAT results (deadline is 08/01, I'm taking the july 6th test so results won't be out till at least a week past)...do you guys think it'll be a waste of my 50 bucks to apply this late?

Here are my stats:

DO cGPA: 3.05 (amcas = about 2.89)
DO sGPA: 2.89 (amcas = 2.67)
MCAT: Based on practice tests, will probably get around 27 +/- a few...
Good ECs, LORs, 4 years as lab tech in a molecular bio lab (research experience?), tons of volunteering, leadership, 50+ hours shadowing, 100+ hours ER volunteer,
URM (AA), economically disadvantaged, first to graduate college in family,...I will be applying to the URM programs like wake, gems, etc, but want to apply broadly, just in case)

Any advice will help, thanks in advance...

Last edited:
can someone post the admissions requirements for the program? Also, can you apply without MCAT results (deadline is 08/01, I'm taking the july 6th test so results won't be out till at least a week past)...do you guys think it'll be a waste of my 50 bucks to apply this late?

Here are my stats:

DO cGPA: 3.05 (amcas = about 2.89)
DO sGPA: 2.89 (amcas = 2.67)
MCAT: Based on practice tests, will probably get around 27 +/- a few...
Good ECs, LORs, 4 years as lab tech in a molecular bio lab (research experience?), tons of volunteering, leadership, 50+ hours shadowing, 100+ hours ER volunteer,
URM (AA), economically disadvantaged, first to graduate college in family,...I will be applying to the URM programs like wake, gems, etc, but want to apply broadly, just in case)

Any advice will help, thanks in advance...

No way, you should apply. I know last year some people got in a few weeks before class started.

Just received the letter that I was rejected today. My GPA was around 2.71 which I know is on the low side but I got a 31 on the MCAT so I thought I'd have a pretty good chance to get in. Would appreciate feedback anyone has on whether it could have been the GPA or possibly a bad essay or lor that got me rejected.....or the fact that I didn't apply until the beginning of June.

Also curious as to whether anyone has applied twice in the same year since the admission deadline is so late. In my case I was thinking of trying again towards the end of July after I finished a couple more classes that would boost my GPA further.

so what happens if you don't get a 23 after a year in their program? Did you just lose money? These's masters programs do help reinforce basic science classes and help prepare for grad school but in the end, I don't know if it helps people with high GPA's from college???

so what happens if you don't get a 23 after a year in their program? Did you just lose money? These's masters programs do help reinforce basic science classes and help prepare for grad school but in the end, I don't know if it helps people with high GPA's from college???

yeah post baccs in general are a poor idea for someone who has a high GPA but a lower MCAT. it would be a MUCH smarter financial choice to take an intense MCAT course and get your score up.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
TO THOSE STILL LOOKING FOR HOUSING:

- RENT- 700/MONTH (!!!)
- Westin Townhome owned by Palermo
- Needs to be rented ASAP but definitely JULY 1
- PET FRIENDLY, 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath, spacious living room and kitchen (with attached deck), finished basement with washer/dryer hook ups, new paint job, carpets were just washed
- 7 minutes from LECOM main campus, 9 minutes from LECOM Bayfront campus where post-bacc's take their classes

please contact me if you are interested.

I was in the post-bacc program last year and will be doing ISP this year...it can be hard to get housing especially since most of the places like pastore (right across main campus) are taken and have huge waiting lists. let me know if you are interested in the property or have any other questions. good luck! :)

@Sheetal,

Did they automatically accept you to their ISP program based on what minimum GPA and MCAT? Because when I called the director, they said I was more qualified for their Post-bacc and if I raise my MCAT a little more, then the DO program...

In the end, if you master and get A's in your post-bacc classes, do you have to retake the same classes again in med school?

Hmm everyone's has already changed their statuses to medical student ><

If you don't mind Pharm21, I'll answer that since I don't think Sheetal frequents SDN as often as I unfortunately do. All 3 pathways including ISP are open to you as a successful post-bacc. As long as you fulfill the 3.0+ in the program, the 23 MCAT and have a successful interview, you have a choice of the three pathways according to how you ranked them on your preference list during your "formality" interview.

As for the other question, you will have to retake the same classes which is a positive and a negative in itself. My own reasoning as to why the credit doesn't transfer is you're not exactly taking the identical core course itself, by a hybrid which is either abbreviated or expanded if that makes sense. For instance, physiology was a hybrid, combining the MS1 core physio course in addition to many clinical elements from their second semester systems course whereas for anatomy, we covered everything but extremities and the head. So that may be why things aren't transferrable though the positive to this is, for core (1st semester), successful pbs do scocre .5-1 Grade point average above their normal peers and perform in the first quartile usually of the class for ranking, probably due to the fact that they've seen most of the material and experienced the exams already.

As for all of the other posters, to be honest, I have really no gauge on how admissions is determining who gets accepted and who doesn't. Looking at the few posts of the rejections and their stats and personally having a friend in your class and knowing her stats, I'm relatively confused myself. I think I would hazard a guess to say they want something around a 3.0 average with .1-.15 above and below and something around the 23 and higher MCAT though if you have a strong academic background and ECs, they may allow for 22? I really have no idea but that makes the most sense to me.

Finally, as for why so "few" people in my class made it in, all of what my classmates have said holds true. Hoose is right, it's closer to the 20s as I estimate that quite a few more people "redeemed" themselves on the final according to the averages sent out for each course as well as some who retook the MCAT (congrats again, you know who you guys are). I've said this before, and I''ll say it again now that this program really is what you make of it. There are people with extensive science backgrounds, even graduate work, who have made it in and some of these did not. There are those with very limited science backgrounds that have made it in and of course some who haven't. Do not get off on a bad foot right from the start. If you've had a poor academic performance in the past, you'll know what I'm talking about in trying to "repair" that except now, you have a very limited timeframe with which to do so in this program. Also note that most of you are in this program for either a deficit in the GPA or the MCAT (probably the former), so arguably there is a fundamental flow in your learning ability or performance (how it translates for you on exams) so realize that LECOM holds you to their medical school average standards which is why many of you theoretically might have trouble with the material/exams based on what you look like on paper. Does this make sense?

Hopefully this answered most of your questions and for those who will be attending this September, best of luck and make sure to stop us and introduce yourselves if you see any former PBers.

justin's right...i don't come on here often but i should! i agree with what he's said. your grades in post-bacc are really only used to determine whether or not you meet the 3.0 GPA requirement. once you get in, you start with a clean slate just like every one else. i personally don't mind not having the credits transferred from post-bacc to medical school. when i started post-bacc my study habits were not where they needed to be and i feel significantly better about them after completing the program. i looked back at some of the material we covered in the 1st semester and could not understand why i didn't get A's in all my courses. i would hate to start medical school with some of those grades especially since i know i can do better than that. i know that because i have seen a lot of the material in post bacc, things will only be easier in my first year.

also, feel free to ask more questions...especially since i finally know how to use this site now and don't have any thing to do until school starts up again!:)

I've heard mixed things about LECOM in that their pathways are disorganized and the administration is very much all over the place and there isn't a sense of organized control in your learning? There's somewhat chaos....is this a rumor or somewhat true?

Also, when does an applicant need to get a 23 on the MCAT since the admissions counselor said they take anyone with low 20's and high GPA is a big factor because maintaining a 3.0 is essential...so do they prepare students to retake MCAT and get that 23 to qualify for the interview?

Hi everyone,

I got accepted into the post bac program, and I will be seeing you guys in September. My question is for students from past years and current students at LECOM. Has anyone lived or live in the Willowwood Village apartment complex? if so, how was the area and place? If you have any pics tht would be helpful. Thanks

-Hugh

Hello,

I was wondering what cell phone carriers you guys have in Erie that work well. I have t-mobile and it is sometimes shady:)

Thanks!

I never had any problems with verizon anywhere in Erie.

No way, you should apply. I know last year some people got in a few weeks before class started.

Do people actually get into allopathic schools after the post bac program? Does anyone know of someone who succeeded in getting into an MD school?

According to the application service I have a 2.8 cGPA and 3.2 sciGPA. This includes retakes of course. My MCAT is a 25.

How do admissions count retakes when applying for the postbacc?

According to the application service I have a 2.8 cGPA and 3.2 sciGPA. This includes retakes of course. My MCAT is a 25.

How do admissions count retakes when applying for the postbacc?
DO schools replace grades.

Do people actually get into allopathic schools after the post bac program? Does anyone know of someone who succeeded in getting into an MD school?
Don't do this program unless you are willing to attend LECOM for medical school.