Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few random questions. During my interview at LECOM Bradenton they mentioned that all of 1st years get "bigs" who can help them out, give them old notes, etc. Does Seton Hill have any system like that in place?

For current students - Do you use all textbooks or ebooks, or is it just a mix? Do some of you prefer having a real textbook in front of you? During my interview they mentioned that they were switching to more ebooks over time. I'm trying to get all my supplies before schools starts, and am wondering if I can just find pdf's floating around.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Some questions I remember from my interview day were "tell me about yourself", "what is a trait that makes you a good doctor", "why lecom", "tell me about a current event", "where do you envision yourself in 10 years".
Isn't the interview a group interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah for some questions, the interviewer went around the table one by one. Other questions, interviewer said to just jump into the conversation.
Huh good to know. At Bradenton it was one big group discussion

A few random questions. During my interview at LECOM Bradenton they mentioned that all of 1st years get "bigs" who can help them out, give them old notes, etc. Does Seton Hill have any system like that in place?

For current students - Do you use all textbooks or ebooks, or is it just a mix? Do some of you prefer having a real textbook in front of you? During my interview they mentioned that they were switching to more ebooks over time. I'm trying to get all my supplies before schools starts, and am wondering if I can just find pdf's floating around.

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, there's a big/little system. I think it will be organized by SGA or our class government-- you'll hear something over the summer.

I personally use the actual textbooks because I prefer real paper and highlighters, but I know there are people who use exclusively e-books and it works out for them. The e-books are handy sometimes when I want to reference something quickly, but for all-day studying they'd give me eye strain-- my opinion only. There will be PDFs floating around. When classes start, you only need the books for OPP, anatomy, embryology, and histology; don't buy the books for PBL (especially full price) until you get your refund check! Some of the current second years will probably be selling their old books on your class' Facebook page over the summer as well, so keep an eye out for that.

Thanks in advance!!

The Big/Lil System at Seton Hill is optional, but I've found it invaluable. The upperclassmen/alumni of LECOM-SH are amazing people and, in my experience, the vast majority go out of their way to help out.

Most of the books I use for PBL are e-books. If I have to flip back and forth through the pages a lot or highlight things (anatomy, pathology, etc), I pick up a hardcopy. Like Ortnakas said, I wouldn't worry too much about picking up anything more than the anatomy, embryology, and histology books before first semester unless you happen to find a 2nd year who's leaving who wants to sell their books in bulk (because generally they sell their books hundreds of bucks cheaper).

Reactions: 1 user
So I've interviewed here close to 2 months ago, and I haven't heard a peep. My portal has been updated but it says I will receive an official letter within 10 days for more than 3 weeks now. Does that just indicate a silent rejection or something? I tried calling last week and they gave a vague answer about how the portal would be changing next week and it will be updated. No update on my end.
Those who have been accepted, does your portal indicate that you were accepted? Or does it say the same thing it said prior? I don't really know what to do.

So I've interviewed here close to 2 months ago, and I haven't heard a peep. My portal has been updated but it says I will receive an official letter within 10 days for more than 3 weeks now. Does that just indicate a silent rejection or something? I tried calling last week and they gave a vague answer about how the portal would be changing next week and it will be updated. No update on my end.
Those who have been accepted, does your portal indicate that you were accepted? Or does it say the same thing it said prior? I don't really know what to do.

I am having a similar issue. I interviewed almost a month ago and I haven't heard anything at all- my portal hasn't even changed. It just says I "will receive an official letter in the mail within 10 days" on the Erie one but it has said that since maybe October, before I even got the interview invite from Seton Hill. The Seton Hill one still says "congratulations you've been selected for an interview at Seton Hill. You will receive instructions by email". Not sure if I should call them about it or not.

I am having a similar issue. I interviewed almost a month ago and I haven't heard anything at all- my portal hasn't even changed. It just says I "will receive an official letter in the mail within 10 days" on the Erie one but it has said that since maybe October, before I even got the interview invite from Seton Hill. The Seton Hill one still says "congratulations you've been selected for an interview at Seton Hill. You will receive instructions by email". Not sure if I should call them about it or not.

Hm, I haven't checked before my interview but thats starting to scare me too. I'd suggest calling them. I think I may call again too.

So I think there's some discrepancy about this, but in my experience, when it's determined you're applying to the Seton Hill campus, all activity will come from the Seton Hill portal tab. That is to say, the Erie one will always say the "10 day" thing. I don't know why-- I've always assumed that it's because Seton Hill is now handling your application. But it's almost a universal finding amongst people interviewing/indicating preference towards LECOM Seton Hill.

So I think there's some discrepancy about this, but in my experience, when it's determined you're applying to the Seton Hill campus, all activity will come from the Seton Hill portal tab. That is to say, the Erie one will always say the "10 day" thing. I don't know why-- I've always assumed that it's because Seton Hill is now handling your application. But it's almost a universal finding amongst people interviewing/indicating preference towards LECOM Seton Hill.
Yeah I had a similar problem. I already got my acceptance to Seton Hill, and my portal finally changed after they received my matriculation agreement and deposit. However the portal for Erie still says the "10 day" note.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fyi for anyone interviewing here do not stay at the Knights inn. Just a heads up haha

Yea this is right. I just called to check in on my status but I got a really vague and 'cold' answer. The woman said to check the Seton Hill one, and the Lake Erie will always say "10 days" on it. And as for my status, although I have interviewed close to 2 months ago, she said they are still updating the status and are still working on decisions. 2 months... wow.

I interviewed on the 19th and my Seton Hill tab just changed today to the official letter-30 days wait.

Thanks in advance!!
Just wait to buy your textbooks. Sign up for Amazon Prime and you can get books in 2 days, so you aren't in a hurry. They will send out a book list in June/July, but you honestly won't have to buy most of the books on it. If you have bought any OMM books just throw them in the trash, I have never opened a book for that course. Once the booklist comes out just talk to a 2nd year to see what you need. I study at home and I really like eBooks open on a 2nd monitor, but everyone learns differently.

I'm in the process of getting my physical/immunizations/transcripts sent to LECOM Seton Hill. Do we have to send them to the office of admissions at the Erie Campus or the Seton Hill Campus?

I'm in the process of getting my physical/immunizations/transcripts sent to LECOM Seton Hill. Do we have to send them to the office of admissions at the Erie Campus or the Seton Hill Campus?
The Seton Hill campus! The address is on the matriculation packet they sent us.

Anyone who interviewed 3/30 hear back yet?

Interviewed 3/19-found out I was waitlisted yesterday

Interviewed 3/19-found out I was waitlisted yesterday

How did you find out? Email, letter or portal?
I just don't get it...I interviewed on 2/6 and STILL haven't heard back. I called 3 times and they say they are in the process of updating the portals. I just don't get it...they aren't giving me a clear answer, I don't know what this means at this point...

I still haven't heard back either (interviewed 3/6). I called the admissions office and nobody answered but I got an email reply stating the same thing as what you were told. I am not sure what this means but I think all we can do at this point is wait. Interviews will probably be over by the end of this month and then they will have to start narrowing down the list.

How did you find out? Email, letter or portal?
I just don't get it...I interviewed on 2/6 and STILL haven't heard back. I called 3 times and they say they are in the process of updating the portals. I just don't get it...they aren't giving me a clear answer, I don't know what this means at this point...

There was a change in my portal 12 days after my interview- that I would be receiving a letter in the mail with a decision. I received the letter on the 6th. I don't know if this helped but I sent a letter of intent right after my interview to the admissions committee.

I still haven't heard back either (interviewed 3/6). I called the admissions office and nobody answered but I got an email reply stating the same thing as what you were told. I am not sure what this means but I think all we can do at this point is wait. Interviews will probably be over by the end of this month and then they will have to start narrowing down the list.

I'll be honest I don't really like how they keep us in the dark. They need to have a better communication system in my opinion. I don't see why I have to wait 2 months and still be in the dark about my admissions status. The people in the office give a generic scripted answer that helps no one. Ugh this is so frustrating. I don't know who else to contact or on what platform, as I have tried everything. Do you think maybe they are waiting to see the last bit of interviews until they decide our status? Only thing I could think of as to why.

I'll be honest I don't really like how they keep us in the dark. They need to have a better communication system in my opinion. I don't see why I have to wait 2 months and still be in the dark about my admissions status. The people in the office give a generic scripted answer that helps no one. Ugh this is so frustrating. I don't know who else to contact or on what platform, as I have tried everything. Do you think maybe they are waiting to see the last bit of interviews until they decide our status? Only thing I could think of as to why.

Yes I agree it is frustrating and it also makes sense that they are having other interviews before they decide where to place us. It is very strange to me though. I don't know of any other schools where you wait this long unless you have officially been placed on the alternate list.

Does anybody know if LECOM Erie has more interview slots open than LECOM Seton Hill. When I submitted my secondary I indicated that LECOM Erie is my only choice. and now I'm worried that I may have cut my chances for an interview.

Does anybody know if LECOM Erie has more interview slots open than LECOM Seton Hill. When I submitted my secondary I indicated that LECOM Erie is my only choice. and now I'm worried that I may have cut my chances for an interview.
From what I understand you interview at whatever college you placed as your first choice but if you get an interview at seton or eerie it's for both campuses

For those of you who interviewed 3/30 I just called admissions they haven't made decisions on our files yet. The wait continues...
Edit: she did say we should hear back about a month after our interviews

Last edited:
Anyone know how much the alternate list moves at seton hill?

Reactions: 1 users
So while at LECOM Bradenton, they talked about their year long rotations. Basically they have teaching hospitals where 3rd and 4th years can do all their rotations at. This sounds super helpful strictly because you are not moving every month or so. Does LECOM Seton Hill have any situation like this? Where you can do all your rotations or at least 1 years worth at one site.
Curious about this because I was hoping to get a cat in first/second year, and I'm not sure how I could justify it if I have to move a lot while in 3rd/4th year.

So while at LECOM Bradenton, they talked about their year long rotations. Basically they have teaching hospitals where 3rd and 4th years can do all their rotations at. This sounds super helpful strictly because you are not moving every month or so. Does LECOM Seton Hill have any situation like this? Where you can do all your rotations or at least 1 years worth at one site.
Curious about this because I was hoping to get a cat in first/second year, and I'm not sure how I could justify it if I have to move a lot while in 3rd/4th year.

Yes, we have year-long sites. We call them 13's, because theoretically you do all 13 of your rotations there. It doesn't usually play out like that, mostly because you get to choose where to do 4 of your 13 rotations, and many people like to go home or elsewhere for those. They're not always teaching hospitals, but rather, they'll be places that have agreed to take LECOM students. LECOM does not pay them for rotation slots.

Almost all 2nd years matched at a 13 this past year, I believe.

It's been nearly a month since my interview and my portal hasn't changed yet...the wait is killing me :(

It's been nearly a month since my interview and my portal hasn't changed yet...the wait is killing me :(

If it makes you feel any better I'm waiting since February 6th. I've been killed by this wait, and then some.

If it makes you feel any better I'm waiting since February 6th. I've been killed by this wait, and then some.
Wow. Did you try calling them? Cuz they told me I should know about one month after my interview

Wow. Did you try calling them? Cuz they told me I should know about one month after my interview
I've called them a few times. They give me the same generic answer. They told me I should be receiving something in the mail a month ago....I've sent emails as well that haven't been responded to. Don't know what else I can do at this point.

I've called them a few times. They give me the same generic answer. They told me I should be receiving something in the mail a month ago....I've sent emails as well that haven't been responded to. Don't know what else I can do at this point.
Wow and I thought I had it bad

I sent one and other than that I've emailed them asking them what's what and I haven't heard back so who knows
I tried emailing several times after I sent my letter just to make sure they received it but no response. I called them and no one picked up so I left a voicemail. The next day I got an email saying they received the letter and because they receive so many letters they don't email you or update anything about it.

I tried emailing several times after I sent my letter just to make sure they received it but no response. I called them and no one picked up so I left a voicemail. The next day I got an email saying they received the letter and because they receive so many letters they don't email you or update anything about it.
Sounds about right hah

Gave up my spot here a week ago, hope it goes to one of the folks here! I would recommend emailing the professors who interviewed you- especially if you had Dr England.

Reactions: 1 users