Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Add yourself to mine because I wasn't able to find yours using the search box. I'll make you admin.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys or any students, I am wondering if anyone lives in Pittsburgh and commutes down. Its like 40-50 minutes from shadyside/squirrel hill. anybody have thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys or any students, I am wondering if anyone lives in Pittsburgh and commutes down. Its like 40-50 minutes from shadyside/squirrel hill. anybody have thoughts?

A couple of students do, yeah.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Veetee, any insight on there thoughts?

Thanks Veetee, any insight on there thoughts?
I think it really depends on your situation. If you're living with parents/already have a place and can save on rent, then yeah, it's worth it. But living so far away can be socially isolating (I know that most of the people who live over in Pittsburgh mostly hang out with each other) and it can be a pain to drive 45-min-to-an-hour for a two hour class.

Of course, with PBL, you may only need to drive in a couple of times a week. So it really depends on what you've got going on and if you'd be willing to put up with the commute.

I think it really depends on your situation. If you're living with parents/already have a place and can save on rent, then yeah, it's worth it. But living so far away can be socially isolating (I know that most of the people who live over in Pittsburgh mostly hang out with each other) and it can be a pain to drive 45-min-to-an-hour for a two hour class.

Of course, with PBL, you may only need to drive in a couple of times a week. So it really depends on what you've got going on and if you'd be willing to put up with the commute.

Thanks for the post. Is there anywhere inbetween Pittsburgh and Greensburg that would be more doable?

Thanks for the post. Is there anywhere inbetween Pittsburgh and Greensburg that would be more doable?

It depends on why you'd want to be closer to Pittsburgh. Ideally, for you as a medical student, you'd want to be as close to the school as possible to maximize your time. What do you consider "doable"?

I was wondering about this also. Is it worth it?

1-2 hrs/day of commuting is not great for med school, especially in winter time when almost anything can happen. I wouldn't do it unless you already have a home, will save a ton by living at home, or have a significant other that needs to be in Pgh for school or work.

Monroeville is about halfway in between Pittsburgh and Greensburg (25-30min drive). Irwin is about halfway inbetween Monroeville and Greensburg (15-20 min drive). That said, unless you have a reason to stay close to Pgh, I'd get as close to your school as possible. veetee's responses are on point.

You're only there for 2 years, so even if you're planning to go to Pgh every weekend, its not worth the extra commute to live close to there (unless you get AHN as your regional site and go to Forbes in Monroeville for clinicals - then I suppose you could stay there almost all 4 yrs, but there's no guarantees what site you get).

Hey guys. I think this was asked already but does anyone know how full the class is already? I am interviewing on January 14th and I was wondering if that meant that I was basically interviewing for a waitlist position?

Hey Guys congratulations on all the acceptances! I have an interview at LECOM-SH on January 22nd and am wondering if anyone else is planning to fly into Pittsburgh then commute down? If so I'd love to try and orchestrate splitting a rental car or something as I'm trying to work out the logistics. Please PM me if you're interested, or if you have any tips on the best way to get from Pitt to the campus. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I'm interviewing on March 19th. I know it's a bit late, but would that be considered a wait-list interview. Just curious.

Hey Guys congratulations on all the acceptances! I have an interview at LECOM-SH on January 22nd and am wondering if anyone else is planning to fly into Pittsburgh then commute down? If so I'd love to try and orchestrate splitting a rental car or something as I'm trying to work out the logistics. Please PM me if you're interested, or if you have any tips on the best way to get from Pitt to the campus. Thanks!
I am interviewing on January 22nd also, I still am undecided if I am driving or flying, where are you traveling from and how much did you pay for a plane ticket? I am coming from New York and the plane tickets are really expensive from what I have found so far.

I am interviewing on January 22nd! For everyone that has interviewed/been accepted here do you have any advice? What kind of format is the interview?

I am interviewing on January 22nd also, I still am undecided if I am driving or flying, where are you traveling from and how much did you pay for a plane ticket? I am coming from New York and the plane tickets are really expensive from what I have found so far.

I ended up flying into Pitt from Boston. Tix weren't terrible considering the world of airfare. Approximately $165, and I land around 7pm on the 21st. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or want to try and coordinate. Congrats on the interview!

Hey,
I'm interviewing on March 19th. I know it's a bit late, but would that be considered a wait-list interview. Just curious.
I'm interviewing on 3/5. I'm wondering the same thing.

I was accepted after a March interview last year, to give you some hope-- but I have absolutely no idea how full the Class of 2019 is at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted after a March interview last year, to give you some hope-- but I have absolutely no idea how full the Class of 2019 is at the moment.

How do you like it so far? and what made you choose Seton HIll over the other LECOM campuses/other schools?

I interviewed on 12/17 and this Tuesday (1/13) my status changed to decision made, im wondering if anyone from my interview group has heard back yet?

I Interviewed 12/17 and just got my acceptance Letter in the mail today!

EDIT: nm found the answer to my question

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So for any one interested, here's my breakdown:
UGPA: 3.42 SGPA:3.33 Graduate GPA: 3.33 MCAT 32 - 11,6,15
Processed: 10/13
Interview Invite: 11/17
Interview: 12/17
Decision Made Status: 1/13
Acceptance Letter in Mail: 1/20!

Good Luck to everyone interviewing or waiting to hear back!!

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the different campuses/interview process. I have an interview scheduled for the end of the month at the Erie campus. My significant other has recently received a job opportunity in Pittsburgh. Can I switch to be considered for the Seton Hill campus? Not sure how this process works

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the different campuses/interview process. I have an interview scheduled for the end of the month at the Erie campus. My significant other has recently received a job opportunity in Pittsburgh. Can I switch to be considered for the Seton Hill campus? Not sure how this process works
At the end of the interview at Seton Hill, we were given the option to rank which campus and learning pathway we preferred, so I'm sure they will give you the same paper at your interview in Erie. Just keep in mind that Seton Hill exclusively offers PBL as it's learning pathway.

I had my interview on 1/22. I stayed at the Ramada and drove 10 minutes to campus (prepare for a long walk from the parking lot!) I was told that the class is only about half full so far! Don't consider this a wait-list interview. This was my first interview this cycle, so I can't exactly compare it to others but it was very pleasant! We were assigned to 1 out of 2 groups for the interview, PBL demonstration, and tour with a student.

Everyone was nervous at the beginning of the interview but we all relaxed once we started discussing questions. We answered questions either in a freestyle answer format or one-after-another moving around the room. The questions were about why medicine, why DO, ethics, and a few questions about your individual achievements/opinions. Hope this helps some of you, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I had my interview on 1/22. I stayed at the Ramada and drove 10 minutes to campus (prepare for a long walk from the parking lot!) I was told that the class is only about half full so far! Don't consider this a wait-list interview. This was my first interview this cycle, so I can't exactly compare it to others but it was very pleasant! We were assigned to 1 out of 2 groups for the interview, PBL demonstration, and tour with a student.

Everyone was nervous at the beginning of the interview but we all relaxed once we started discussing questions. We answered questions either in a freestyle answer format or one-after-another moving around the room. The questions were about why medicine, why DO, ethics, and a few questions about your individual achievements/opinions. Hope this helps some of you, good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm glad to hear it was a good one. Sounds pretty laid back. How was the weather?

ii extended today for march 30th! not sure if it's worth it for me to go or not :p how full is the class?

So I'm flying in to Pittsburgh international airport on February 5th. My interview is on February 6th. I'm having some trouble figuring out transportation details. How did you guys travel to and from the airport, and from hotel to school?

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm glad to hear it was a good one. Sounds pretty laid back. How was the weather?
It was cold and windy, which is pretty normal. All the girls wore winter jackets. The guys evidently felt manly enough not to bring them haha

So I'm flying in to Pittsburgh international airport on February 5th. My interview is on February 6th. I'm having some trouble figuring out transportation details. How did you guys travel to and from the airport, and from hotel to school?

Hey! As a matter of fact, I am interviewing on the 6th too! I'm flying in from NY (after a long, expensive decision making process) to PIT, and I decided to rent a car from the airport, so that I have transportation. I think another viable but time consuming option is the train? Although, this is strictly based on google maps and I have no idea how it works. Considering the commute time is roughly 45 minutes to an hour, I decided its best to have my own car for that day. I'd probably recommend the same to you.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you flying in from? And where are you staying?
It was cold and windy, which is pretty normal. All the girls wore winter jackets. The guys evidently felt manly enough not to bring them haha

I noticed that in my other interviews, these guys who think are so macho. I say F that! I brought my jacket and wore it over my suit. I don't have time to get sick!:laugh:

And to those who have completed their interviews, you guys mind sharing the process? Does the interview day actually go up to 1:00?

Hey! As a matter of fact, I am interviewing on the 6th too! I'm flying in from NY (after a long, expensive decision making process) to PIT, and I decided to rent a car from the airport, so that I have transportation. I think another viable but time consuming option is the train? Although, this is strictly based on google maps and I have no idea how it works. Considering the commute time is roughly 45 minutes to an hour, I decided its best to have my own car for that day. I'd probably recommend the same to you.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you flying in from? And where are you staying?

I noticed that in my other interviews, these guys who think are so macho. I say F that! I brought my jacket and wore it over my suit. I don't have time to get sick!:laugh:

And to those who have completed their interviews, you guys mind sharing the process? Does the interview day actually go up to 1:00?
I'm staying at the Hampton Inn. I think I might have to rent a car too.

If they're anything like me, they spent al' their money on a suit an airline ticket and had none left over for a nice jacket!

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn. I think I might have to rent a car too.

I flew into Cleveland and rented a car. I got a mazda 2 and ended up only spending about 15 dollars in gas (10 of it was cash a fellow interviewee gave me for driving her to the airport afterwards.)

I stayed at the days inn...its only 49.99 for the night and the rooms are actually pretty decent, and the breakfast was comparable to any hampton inn breakfast I have ever had. I would do yourself a favor and save whatever cash you can.

I flew into Cleveland and rented a car. I got a mazda 2 and ended up only spending about 15 dollars in gas (10 of it was cash a fellow interviewee gave me for driving her to the airport afterwards.)

I stayed at the days inn...its only 49.99 for the night and the rooms are actually pretty decent, and the breakfast was comparable to any hampton inn breakfast I have ever had. I would do yourself a favor and save whatever cash you can.

Are you guys all over 25? It seems stupid expensive the fees they tack on for this... It is literally like $10/day for 25+ and $60/day for under 25. It's absolutely ridiculous considering I'm old and mature enough to have a credit card with free rental insurance (not to even mention fly on a plane and go to interviews by myself)...

Are you guys all over 25? It seems stupid expensive the fees they tack on for this... It is literally like $10/day for 25+ and $60/day for under 25. It's absolutely ridiculous considering I'm old and mature enough to have a credit card with free rental insurance (not to even mention fly on a plane and go to interviews by myself)...

The underage fees are ridiculous for rentals. I decided to rent a car for my interview on the 6th, and I had to deal with that fee as well. I don't know where they get the rationalization from, but at the end of the day, all they want is money. So they'll do what they want unfortunately.

The underage fees are ridiculous for rentals. I decided to rent a car for my interview on the 6th, and I had to deal with that fee as well. I don't know where they get the rationalization from, but at the end of the day, all they want is money. So they'll do what they want unfortunately.

Most likely some ridiculous statistic that says "people under the age of 25 have a higher percentage chance of being involved in a car accident or other serious complication while driving when compared to those individuals over the age of 25." Of course this might well be true on the whole, but I doubt it's anything other than an arbitrary cutoff. Why not just identify high risk drivers over the age of 18 directly? You're right: business is business. Whatever makes money.

Anyone have any tips for last minute interview preparation? I'm just reviewing a list of common questions, and reviewing my application. My interviews coming up this Friday, and I'm nervous.

Anyone have any tips for last minute interview preparation? I'm just reviewing a list of common questions, and reviewing my application. My interviews coming up this Friday, and I'm nervous.

It's closed file but be prepared to discuss you interactions with physicians/DO's/shadowing, your motivations for DO, experiences in healthcare etc. Relax, listen to the other applicants speak in your group interview, don't be scared to speak up, and be respectful! You'll be just fine, goodluck!

Last edited:

For what its worth, I had an interview at Bradenton in the last application cycle. If it's anything similar to it, we'll be okay. The group interview will test how well you would do in PBL. Essentially, the interviewers will ask us questions and as a group we would debate or talk about it. They love to play 'devil's advocate' so be prepared for something like that. All in all, its a low-stress interview process. I am also interviewing on Friday. I think we'll do just fine.

Hello everyone!
I'm sorry I am just now posting a reply to this thread! I interviewed at LECOM-Seton Hill on 9/23/14 and received my acceptance letter on 10/7/14! Any tips on the best places to live in Greensburg?... especially if you have a large dog (like I do!)?

Hello everyone!
I'm sorry I am just now posting a reply to this thread! I interviewed at LECOM-Seton Hill on 9/23/14 and received my acceptance letter on 10/7/14! Any tips on the best places to live in Greensburg?... especially if you have a large dog (like I do!)?
Just look on Craigslist. The closer you are to the school the better. Rent is pretty cheap in the Greensburg area, but I don't know how many places take pets, you just have to call/email and see I guess.

saw that my status was updated and the decision has been made on my application today......
this waiting period has got me bracing for the worst but i just really want to throw up thinking about it.
i just need ONE acceptance.... :( :eyebrow:

saw that my status was updated and the decision has been made on my application today......
this waiting period has got me bracing for the worst but i just really want to throw up thinking about it.
i just need ONE acceptance.... :( :eyebrow:

I hear you on that. I'm anxiously waiting for any update on the portal as well. The waiting game for all schools has been nauseating. I get so restless and the days feel like they are just at a stand still. All it takes is one acceptance. I'm praying for the same. But hang in there, good things come to those who wait!
And, if you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

I hear you on that. I'm anxiously waiting for any update on the portal as well. The waiting game for all schools has been nauseating. I get so restless and the days feel like they are just at a stand still. All it takes is one acceptance. I'm praying for the same. But hang in there, good things come to those who wait!
And, if you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

i interviewed 02/02

I interviewed on 2/6, but under admission status it is still posting "Congratulations, you have been selected for an interview at LECOM at Seton Hill. You will receive instructions by e-mail." I wasn't expecting a decision for at least 2 more weeks, but isn't it supposed to say something along the lines of "decision made", or "reviewing application".

I interviewed on 2/6, but under admission status it is still posting "Congratulations, you have been selected for an interview at LECOM at Seton Hill. You will receive instructions by e-mail." I wasn't expecting a decision for at least 2 more weeks, but isn't it supposed to say something along the lines of "decision made", or "reviewing application".

My status didnt change until they made a decision