Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the matriculation packet binding? It's due soon but I'm waiting to hear about other options.

What's your definition of binding? Once you submit your deposit, don't expect to get it back (it will be applied to your first semester tuition). That said, no one can force you to matriculate somewhere.

If you get into another school higher on your list, and accept a spot there, of course you can go. Just be sure you do the classy thing and notify the school you won't be attending as soon as possible (i.e. when your spot is secured at the other school) so they have time to offer your spot to someone else.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,
I just received Interview Invitation, scheduled on April 14 at Seton Hill. I would greatly appreciate any tips for the interview. I couldn't find anywhere if they have multiple mini interview session or not?

Hello Everyone,
I just received Interview Invitation, scheduled on April 14 at Seton Hill. I would greatly appreciate any tips for the interview. I couldn't find anywhere if they have multiple mini interview session or not?
When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
any of the accepted alternates willing to post their stats????

Hello Everyone,

Seton Hill is a group interview. Not MMI.

Reactions: 1 user
BS in Medical Technology
27 MCAT 3.97 sGPA 3.93 cGPA
Five years experience working in a hospital laboratory.

Anyone who selected DSP as a top choice expect to be lucky in the next week or two.

Would it be crazy for me to expect an interview invite this late in the game from LECOM? They processed my secondary on 03/17 but the portal still shows I am missing a bunch of stuff.

Would it be crazy for me to expect an interview invite this late in the game from LECOM? They processed my secondary on 03/17 but the portal still shows I am missing a bunch of stuff.

Hey, there are still spots open. When you interview doesn't matter. If your stats are good enough, they will take you and not place you on the alternate list, as they've done with people in the past month.

@ortnakas Thank you! I will be attending :) Interviewed 2/14, "decision has been made" appeared around 10 AM the wednesday immediately following the interview, and then the letter came today, exactly a week from the status change. So took a week from PA-rural VA

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone qualify or apply to the 3 yr APAP pathway?

Interested if these interviews are like the other group interview formats or not...

Anyone qualify or apply to the 3 yr APAP pathway?

Interested if these interviews are like the other group interview formats or not...

There was someone in my regular group interview who was applying to the APAP pathway, so I am assuming they lump us all in together.

I was accepted into the LDP pathway as well. Congrats to all those accepted! I'll be seeing everyone this July :)

Hi all, I am pre-med and looking at LECOM Erie's DSP program. Does anyone know what a typical schedule is like? I've found some responses in the forum stating you are there all the time, and others stating you are only there a few hours a week. I was just wondering how I could get in contact with someone actually in the program to get a feel for the requirements of being on-campus. Thanks so much for any input! (and apologizes in advance if I am posting in the wrong are....first time posting on here) :)

Hi all, I am pre-med and looking at LECOM Erie's DSP program. Does anyone know what a typical schedule is like? I've found some responses in the forum stating you are there all the time, and others stating you are only there a few hours a week. I was just wondering how I could get in contact with someone actually in the program to get a feel for the requirements of being on-campus. Thanks so much for any input! (and apologizes in advance if I am posting in the wrong are....first time posting on here) :)
The ones that are always there are the LDP pathway. You can call Lecom admissions and they'll tell you all the info you wanna know

OK, so I got chosen as an "alternate". I assume that's the same thing as a wait list?

Sorry, I see it's a wait list. Not to try to deliver bad news, but my portal said
"The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days" and then I received my letter telling me that I was an alternate. I think the decision in my portal was not that I was accepted, but just that I was an alternate. I don't think that message in the portal necessarily precedes an acceptance, unfortunately.

Also, just to let everyone know, my letter said that "Alternates my be notified of acceptance up until July 25, 2014".

The admissions office sent an email to PostBac students a few days ago regarding campus choices for the fall. Most of the information it contained is not relevant for you fine folks, but one excerpt is:

"This does not mean the class is currently full, but based on past history there is a chance that in mid-April, this could be the situation."

He's referring to the Erie campus here, and further suggested we consider Seton Hill as an option as Erie might be full in April and we'd have to wait for a seat. Food for thought. Good luck to all pending applicants!

Sorry, I see it's a wait list. Not to try to deliver bad news, but my portal said
"The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days" and then I received my letter telling me that I was an alternate. I think the decision in my portal was not that I was accepted, but just that I was an alternate. I don't think that message in the portal necessarily precedes an acceptance, unfortunately.

Also, just to let everyone know, my letter said that "Alternates my be notified of acceptance up until July 25, 2014".

This status update is the same status update that everyone (whether rejection, acceptance or alternate list) sees once the decision is made. After you submit your alternate list agreement form, it will change to something like, "you've accepted a position on the alternate list", then it will change again to a "The Admissions Committee has made a decision..." when another decision is made (i.e. to accept you off the list or reject you - which they rarely do before the end of the July).

Hi all, I am interviewing at Seton Hill next week on April 4th, I know it is a group interview but what kind of questions are asked? i.e, situational/scenarios, personal questions about school or medical experience, etc? I know we are not supposed to discuss exact questions but can anyone give me some general insight as to what to prepare for? Thanks

No shocker questions in my group. Two admins asked questions and we just went around the room taking turns answering. Was very relaxed and casual just be yourself and you will be fine. The questions seemed kind of typical to all of the interviews I went on, all schools seem to ask the same things.... if you couldn't get into a medical school this year what would you do? could you live away from you home state? what do you know about OMM? why medicine? why DO? etc.

Just got an II for April 14! Does anyone know if this is just for the alternate list?! ahhh

Is Erie still interviewing? I got an interview at LECOM Bradenton but no word from Erie yet.

Would you mind sharing your stats and when were you complete? Thanks!
Sure, 3.3 sGPA, 29 MCAT
Submitted secondary 3/18
Email for a processed supplemental 3/24
Invitation invite yesterday 3/31

I'm wondering if there are seats still available or if this is just for the alternate list. :/

Sure, 3.3 sGPA, 29 MCAT
Submitted secondary 3/18
Email for a processed supplemental 3/24
Invitation invite yesterday 3/31

me are wondering if there are seats still available or if this is just for the alternate list. :/

My secondary was submitted and I got the processed e-mail on 2/27. Your post made me call them to ask about my status and they said that the committee simply hasn't made a decision on my app yet. Not sure how yours was reviewed and mine wasn't?

cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.47
MCAT: 26 (8,8,10)

Was an alternate; just withdrew my application. Good luck to everyone!

I just interviewed here today.

Everything went well, everyone was friendly. The interview was the most relaxed one I've been on (it's my 4th so far.) It's a group interview like others have said. First they ask everyone to introduce themselves, then they ask everyone in the group a different question. After this, they give everyone the chance to answer a question that they asked someone else. Then they ask a few ethical questions and the group discusses them. There were a few people in my group who dominated the conversation somewhat. However, everyone had the chance to talk about every issue. I think I did fairly well even though I would have liked to say more, but I'm not the type to cut people off or talk over them to get the chance to talk.

Since people are wondering about open seats, I can confirm that the Admissions Counselor told is that there are in fact open seats left at the Erie campus. He said he didn't know the exact number that were open, but if he had to guess he'd say 35 open seats. He said that if everyone there interviewing today was a great applicant that the school would offer seats to everyone there.

Good luck to everyone interviewing there at future dates and to everyone on the alternate list.

Reactions: 1 users
I just interviewed here today.

Everything went well, everyone was friendly. The interview was the most relaxed one I've been on (it's my 4th so far.) It's a group interview like others have said. First they ask everyone to introduce themselves, then they ask everyone in the group a different question. After this, they give everyone the chance to answer a question that they asked someone else. Then they ask a few ethical questions and the group discusses them. There were a few people in my group who dominated the conversation somewhat. However, everyone had the chance to talk about every issue. I think I did fairly well even though I would have liked to say more, but I'm not the type to cut people off or talk over them to get the chance to talk.

Since people are wondering about open seats, I can confirm that the Admissions Counselor told is that there are in fact open seats left at the Erie campus. He said he didn't know the exact number that were open, but if he had to guess he'd say 35 open seats. He said that if everyone there interviewing today was a great applicant that the school would offer seats to everyone there.

Good luck to everyone interviewing there at future dates and to everyone on the alternate list.
My interview is on the 14th! Thanks for the info! And good luck!

My interview is also on the 14th.! I am just very nervous about this. are there anyone who is going to be in Greensburg on Sunday?

For those of you attending/planning to attend Lecom-Erie- What drew you to this school over others? What are the things that you like, and what are the things you dont like about the school? I was accepted to the PBL pathway so if anyone could comment on that as well I would appreciate it!

For those of you attending/planning to attend Lecom-Erie- What drew you to this school over others? What are the things that you like, and what are the things you dont like about the school? I was accepted to the PBL pathway so if anyone could comment on that as well I would appreciate it!

For me, it was the amount of caring that they showed for their student's success. Granted, every school wants their students to do well, LECOM just seemed to be above and beyond. I know that they have their own interests, but when the interests of the school and the students coincide, like having the vast majority of your students pass their boards, it works out for the better.

There isn't much I don't like. I am from Pittsburgh so I am used to crappy weather. Everyone seems to get their panties in a bunch over the dress code and not being able to drink water in class, but seriously, when are you going to be dressed down as a doctor? And have you SEEN their class rooms? They are very clean.

Accepted! However, I have also been accepted to CUSOM and I have an interview at OU-HCOM coming up. To be completely honest, I was not too impressed with LECOM when I interviewed but the tuition is almost too good to pass up. Listed below are some of the pro's and con's that I made about LECOM and its program. If anyone could give me feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Pros:
1. Tuition ($30,000 yes please...)
2. Established osteopathic program
3. Rotations in Philadelphia where my significant other will be attending medical school
4. Any others???

Cons:
1. Facility- There was nothing nice about their facility. One it was old. But in addition, they did not have any of the new technology that I saw at all of the other places I interviewed (i.e. Monitors and computers in anatomy lab, SIM center, etc)
2. Rules, rules, rules. I felt like I was regressing back into high school with all of the rules that they have. No drinking or eating in the facility, dress code, etc. Come on now, no water... Really?
3. Larger class size. Even though they are a "non-profit" it seems like they are very interested in a larger class size and expanding to multiple locations. I'm concerned that $$$ is more important to them than educating their students to becoming excellent physicians?
4. Location. Erie is not the nicest city (and yes I am being very nice in the way that I phrase this statement).

Thanks for your help!

For me, it was the amount of caring that they showed for their student's success. Granted, every school wants their students to do well, LECOM just seemed to be above and beyond. I know that they have their own interests, but when the interests of the school and the students coincide, like having the vast majority of your students pass their boards, it works out for the better.

There isn't much I don't like. I am from Pittsburgh so I am used to crappy weather. Everyone seems to get their panties in a bunch over the dress code and not being able to drink water in class, but seriously, when are you going to be dressed down as a doctor? And have you SEEN their class rooms? They are very clean.
Agreed also you can leave the class to have a drink in the cafeteria anytime you want

Accepted! However, I have also been accepted to CUSOM and I have an interview at OU-HCOM coming up. To be completely honest, I was not too impressed with LECOM when I interviewed but the tuition is almost too good to pass up. Listed below are some of the pro's and con's that I made about LECOM and its program. If anyone could give me feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Pros:
3. Rotations in Philadelphia where my significant other will be attending medical school
4. Any others???

Cons:
1. Facility- There was nothing nice about their facility. One it was old. But in addition, they did not have any of the new technology that I saw at all of the other places I interviewed (i.e. Monitors and computers in anatomy lab, SIM center, etc)
2. Rules, rules, rules. I felt like I was regressing back into high school with all of the rules that they have. No drinking or eating in the facility, dress code, etc. Come on now, no water... Really?
3. Larger class size. Even though they are a "non-profit" it seems like they are very interested in a larger class size and expanding to multiple locations. I'm concerned that $$$ is more important to them than educating their students to becoming excellent physicians?
4. Location. Erie is not the nicest city (and yes I am being very nice in the way that I phrase this statement).

Thanks for your help!
What makes Erie not so nice as a city?

What makes Erie not so nice as a city?
It reminds me of a run-down industrialized city. Everything in the area just seemed old and worn down. Although, Erie does have a lot of great attributes including the peninsula. But lets be real, how often will medical students be able to visit the peninsula?

Reactions: 1 users
200ft down the main hall, down a flight of stairs, and 60ft down another hall. Sip. Return.
Depends on which classroom your in. But if you're really gonna nitpick over it go to another school I suppose. I think it's ridiculous too but I'm more concerned about the place making me a good doc and not makin me in debt forever

Pros:
4. Any others???

Cons:

Thanks for your help!

Pros:
1. Helps that there's no OOS penalty.
2. One reason I initially considered LECOM was that they seemed to have the business of churning out D.O.s down to a science.
3. Rotations are two years down the road, yes? LECOM and CUSOM appear to be the same driving distance from Philly. CUSOM = extended weekends in Virginia Beach; LECOM = extended weekends in Johnstown, PA.

Cons:
Agree to all.