Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I interviewed here last cycle and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the application process or interview day. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here again this year! :luck:

Opinion on chances?

3.68c 3.62s 25 mcat

Illinois resident

Good luck to everyone!

Seriously, you could have just made a WAMC thread and people would have given you feedback on every school... instead of posting the same on every school's thread. Just a thought. You might get more responses that way.

Can't really beat the price of LECOM. Can't wait to apply!

In for LECOM this cycle as well! Good luck everyone!

Hey guys! I interviewed here last cycle and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the application process or interview day. Good luck!

Thanks in advance for the helpful advice !

I want to know how LECOM views OOS's with average everything stats. My cGPA is slightly above 3.5 and my previous MCAT a bit below average (but will be retaking this july) all my other stats are about average and I'm from Ohio.

I'd love to go to this school because of the location of the Erie campus and the tuition. :D

Thanks in advance for the helpful advice !

I want to know how LECOM views OOS's with average everything stats. My cGPA is slightly above 3.5 and my previous MCAT a bit below average (but will be retaking this july) all my other stats are about average and I'm from Ohio.

I'd love to go to this school because of the location of the Erie campus and the tuition. :D

LECOM is very OOS friendly, and you are from a state that not only is close by, but also is where a lot of LECOM's clinical sites are. I'm sure you'll do fine, just make sure you submit/apply ASAP if you haven't already.

LECOM is very OOS friendly, and you are from a state that not only is close by, but also is where a lot of LECOM's clinical sites are. I'm sure you'll do fine, just make sure you submit/apply ASAP if you haven't already.

Thanks a lot for the info !

I have a question/dilemma, I wont be applying until after I take my MCAT which is the 25th of july. Will this hurt me due to the way my stats are. My sGPA, LOR's & EC's are on par with Osteo schools and my cGPA is above average, but I am really unsure about the MCAT. Would a 22-25 not be good enough for my stats ?

Thanks a lot for the info !

I have a question/dilemma, I wont be applying until after I take my MCAT which is the 25th of july. Will this hurt me due to the way my stats are. My sGPA, LOR's & EC's are on par with Osteo schools and my cGPA is above average, but I am really unsure about the MCAT. Would a 22-25 not be good enough for my stats ?

If you haven't taken the MCAT yet, you should submit the AACOMAS primary app right now.

If you're not taking the MCAT until July 25th, you won't get the result until Aug 25th, and you won't be verified until late September or early October. Being that late will significantly hurt your chances given you have average stats. Its in your best interest to submit the primary app now to at least 1 school, indicating that you plan to take the MCAT on July 25th, and then when your scores come in, you can send them to AACOMAS and update your app with the score and remaining schools if necessary. Check out the Official AACOMAS questions thread.

As far as the MCAT goes, only take it when you're ready. Be sure you are scoring above your target score on practice tests before you take the exam. You will need a minimum of 23 for a shot at most schools, and a 25 would put you at slightly below average for most schools.

Reactions: 1 user
does LECOM care more for higher gpa or higher mcat or both?

Members don't see this ad :)
just submitted my AACOMAS. will be applying here for next cycle :).

does LECOM care more for higher gpa or higher mcat or both?

That's kind of a weird question. Of course they'd care more if both were higher (wouldn't any school?), but I don't think they have a particular preference for one over the other, assuming you are above their cutoffs. People have gotten in with 3.0s and >30 MCATs as well as 3.7s and 24 MCATs.

Applying here as well as Bradenton. Excited to get this cycle rolling. Good luck to everybody!

I know this is a bit of a mixed blog, but I was wondering if anyone who was waitlisted this year has heard back? Or if anyone can redirect me to a post for that topic as I seem to have failed in finding it. Thanks alot.

I know this is a bit of a mixed blog, but I was wondering if anyone who was waitlisted this year has heard back? Or if anyone can redirect me to a post for that topic as I seem to have failed in finding it. Thanks alot.

People are gradually coming off the waitlist. You should look at last cycle's thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=912629&page=50) for waitlist movement info. This thread is for the 2013-2014 app cycle.

Secondary invite came in this morning! Looks like things are going to start picking up for everybody!

Secondary invite came in this morning! Looks like things are going to start picking up for everybody!

It says to click on the "Applicant - D.O." link on the left side of the page...but there isn't one! Login was working though...

i'm trying to access the secondary, don't think im clicking the right link?

It says to click on the "Applicant - D.O." link on the left side of the page...but there isn't one! Login was working though...

I received the secondary this morning and having the same problem as well! There is no "blue Applicant-DO" lol

Same issue here. Well this is pretty much like opening a present with nothing inside. Sad day. Haha.

I heard finding this "Applicant DO" link is a test....

You guys got secondaries already?! I got an email saying my application is "under review". I'm not surprised tho, my MCAT score is horrible 22 7/7/8. But I do have a retake next month. I'm just hoping I don't get screened out.

LECOM requires at least a 23. thats prob why.

I heard finding this "Applicant DO" link is a test....

Well if that's the case let's hope one of us finds it first so the sdn crew gets a leg up on the rest of the folks

They just updated the admissions page with a new tab that says The Application will be open no later than end of day on Wednesday 6-26-2013. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So we just wait till then

Yeah, I just saw that. Did they mean the application will be open no "earlier" than the end day on Wednesday 6-26-2013?

The link to the pathway descriptions was dead.......can someone confirm the Erie campus is the home to the 3yr primary care pathway?

All my schools say released, where r u guys seeing under review?

I posted this on the Bradenton thread but if we received this LECOM secondary are we able to send in a secondary to Bradenton as well as Erie/Seton Hill?? Or do we wait for them to email us a Bradenton secondary?

The link to the pathway descriptions was dead.......can someone confirm the Erie campus is the home to the 3yr primary care pathway?

Yes, Erie is the only campus with that pathway (and the only campus with anything other than PBL for that matter).

All my schools say released, where r u guys seeing under review?

They are talking about in their LECOM portal, NOT in AACOMAS. AACOMAS will not give you school specific updates except in the case of extraordinary circumstances, like not fulfilling the requirements of a specific program.

I posted this on the Bradenton thread but if we received this LECOM secondary are we able to send in a secondary to Bradenton as well as Erie/Seton Hill?? Or do we wait for them to email us a Bradenton secondary?

Wait for the Bradenton email before you send a secondary, though its almost guaranteed that you will get one, because a secondary means you meet the minimum cutoffs, which is the same for each campus.

Thanks! Do I have to create a profile on their page or they will send me a link?

So is anyone in this years lot of hopeful applicants to LECOM interested in the PCSP program (aka 3 yr DO degree) ?

I'm applying here this cycle and am really interested, but dont completely understand the concept and I especially dont understand the penalty that the college imposes if we dont practice primary care (i.e. dont go into a FM or IM residency and dont practice FM or IM for 5 years after residency).

I'm getting older every moment, and since primary care is what I want to do, this program and this school fit my agenda perfectly. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks! Do I have to create a profile on their page or they will send me a link?

They should send you a link and login info.

So once you complete LECOM's secondary with mcat/transcripts on file, you're considered complete? As in this is when they start considering you for an interview? You don't need to send LORs or anything else until you are invited for an interview, right?

Correct.

So is anyone in this years lot of hopeful applicants to LECOM interested in the PCSP program (aka 3 yr DO degree) ?

I'm applying here this cycle and am really interested, but dont completely understand the concept and I especially dont understand the penalty that the college imposes if we dont practice primary care (i.e. dont go into a FM or IM residency and dont practice FM or IM for 5 years after residency).

I'm getting older every moment, and since primary care is what I want to do, this program and this school fit my agenda perfectly. Any input is much appreciated.

I want the primary care track too but am hazy on the details

I am but like you I don't completely understand what it's supposed to be.

As far as I understand it, the PCSP track is the same as the other tracks in the beginning, but if you are then selected for the track, which happens during first year and is dependent on things like GPA, then you continue on an accelerated track. Basically you lose your summers and pretty much all non-core rotation electives, and instead do a few extra FM and IM rotations.

I believe that if you break the contract, you have to pay the 4th year tuition. Realistically, it doesn't seem worth it unless you are quite certain that you want to do primary care, because you won't get exposure to many other specialties, which will ultimately hurt you come residency application time, as you wouldn't really have the opportunity to get non-primary care LORs, and you wouldn't be free to do other audition rotations.

In any case, from what I've heard, the future of the program is not very clear, so you can indicate interest for it at the interview (pathway selection form) if you want, and if things are the same as previous years, you will find out if you qualify after you start and can decide then if its right for you.

Also, to quote a Fellow talking about LECOM accelerated DO programs (he's referring to the PA-DO bridge program, which supposedly has a very similar schedule to the PCSP track):

The AOA Match Service opens June/July

https://natmatch.com/aoairp/aboutdates.html

So basically by the time you start clinical rotation, and have just finished COMLEX 1, you will be getting your application together to apply for residency. If you do the bridge, the downside is ... you won't have any clinical rotation scores or grades. Your dean's letter (MSPE) will talk about your preclinical grades, but nothing about your clinical rotations (as a DO student, not as a PA student). Basically you will be applying without any significant core rotations to a competitive field (surgery, anesthesia, emergency medicine, ortho, etc). And if the program lets you apply to acgme residency - not only are you fighting an uphill battle (as a DO student), but you will be fighting an uphill battle without any relevant core rotations grade.

And you won't have any recent LOR from rotations.

Plus, you will be missing days on rotation for interviews. It will certainly affect your performance, or the perception of your performance (since you will be missing multiple days for your interviews on CORE rotations)

The bridge may let you graduate faster, but the logistics of applying for residency (AOA/ACGME) will be a nightmare (and partly why LECOM's APAP primary care pathway leads to LECOM primary care residency, or why NYU's proposed 3 year program lead to NYU residencies).

Last edited:
As far as I understand it, the PCSP track is the same as the other tracks in the beginning, but if you are then selected for the track, which happens during first year and is dependent on things like GPA, then you continue on an accelerated track. Basically you lose your summers and pretty much all non-core rotation electives, and instead do a few extra FM and IM rotations.

I believe that if you break the contract, you have to pay the 4th year tuition. Realistically, it doesn't seem worth it unless you are quite certain that you want to do primary care, because you won't get exposure to many other specialties, which will ultimately hurt you come residency application time, as you wouldn't really have the opportunity to get non-primary care LORs, and you wouldn't be free to do other audition rotations.

In any case, from what I've heard, the future of the program is not very clear, so you can indicate interest for it at the interview (pathway selection form) if you want, and if things are the same as previous years, you will find out if you qualify after you start and can decide then if its right for you.

Also, to quote a fellow talking about LECOM accelerated programs (he's referring to the PA-DO program, which essentially has a very similar schedule to the PCSP track):

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I'm definitely interested in primary care, but more so pediatric primary care.

The scholarship which pays for medical school but wants you to work a year for each year they pay off in primary care (i forgot/cant find the name of that scholarship) considers working in the pediatric field in underserved areas as a fulfillment of working in primary care. If this PCSP track also has that option, then I have no problem signing their 5 year contract and reducing my DO degree to 3 years.

Does anyone know why LECOM asks for ACT and SAT scores on the Secondary application. I am confused to why they would want to know the scores from a high school test.

Does anyone know why LECOM asks for ACT and SAT scores on the Secondary application. I am confused to why they would want to know the scores from a high school test.

was wondering the same thing. i put no effort into the ACT, only just enough to get into my state school where I always wanted to go.

I didn't even know I wanted to become a doctor until I was already in college. I want to leave it blank since it is not a required field.