Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess. Im not the usual rich med school applicant so it hits harder
Me either.. Luckily I got an AACOMAS fee waiver and I'm praying I get accepted so I don't have to do any more interviews!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Me either.. Luckily I got an AACOMAS fee waiver and I'm praying I get accepted so I don't have to do any more interviews!!
The only thing i dont like is this 30 days to respond!

The only thing i dont like is this 30 days to respond!

Yeah with the $1500 deposit..that's gonna be rough but I'll write that check with a smile if they accept me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah with the $1500 deposit..that's gonna be rough but I'll write that check with a smile if they accept me!
You bet! 1500 for a guaranteed spot in medical school >>>>>> guaranteed spot in an airplane to a 50/50 shot to enter a medical school.

I mean what about the other schools we applied to that we havent heard back from yet

I mean what about the other schools we applied to that we havent heard back from yet

Well look at it this way.. Interviews are expensive. So let's say you had another school you are still wanting to hear back after you interview. If your accepted and pay the deposit you still have the option to interview other places BUT with an acceptance there's no point in interviewing at safety schools. So, you said this interview will cost you about $500.. If you can turn down 3 interviews the deposit would pay for itself. If your more like me, turning down even one would pay for it...

For me, I really like what this school is all about. So unless I have a change of heart following the interview, I would be hard pressed to even consider anywhere else if I were to be accepted, but you can look at the deposit as an investment.

Well look at it this way.. Interviews are expensive. So let's say you had another school you are still wanting to hear back after you interview. If your accepted and pay the deposit you still have the option to interview other places BUT with an acceptance there's no point in interviewing at safety schools. So, you said this interview will cost you about $500.. If you can turn down 3 interviews the deposit would pay for itself. If your more like me, turning down even one would pay for it...

For me, I really like what this school is all about. So unless I have a change of heart following the interview, I would be hard pressed to even consider anywhere else if I were to be accepted, but you can look at the deposit as an investment.
Good points. I gotta just stop being concerned about money...but im concerned i wont have enough! My credit card will be busy lol

Good points. I gotta just stop being concerned about money...but im concerned i wont have enough! My credit card will be busy lol

Lol if it makes you feel better I interviewed at PCOM-GA last year and I'm still paying on that...

Lol if it makes you feel better I interviewed at PCOM-GA last year and I'm still paying on that...
Gotta keep saying..."med school is an investment"

Im excited for this interview though. I plan on chilling at the beach the day before. Anyone know if it is unbearably hot in florida right now?

I guess. Im not the usual rich med school applicant so it hits harder
Truth, I will drive to almost every interview, except maybe the one school in Cali I applied too. I tried to apply close to home, but I do have a couple up in Virginia. Might need 2 days off for those. But yeah, use price line and try to keep it cheap. No reason to be spending more money than necessary to avoid having to drive.

Truth, I will drive to almost every interview, except maybe the one school in Cali I applied too. I tried to apply close to home, but I do have a couple up in Virginia. Might need 2 days off for those. But yeah, use price line and try to keep it cheap. No reason to be spending more money than necessary to avoid having to drive.
Ny to florida is a hefty trip so i would definitely pay that airfare :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the thought is, that even if you hope to go MD, you pay for one D.O. spot at whatever school you like the most and has accepted you *. It would be gut wrenching to have to do the whole cycle again, especially with a changed MCAT.

So yeah, you 'might be' out 1500, but at the end of the day, if your instate takes you and they are 10k cheaper a year, you deal with that and forfeit your deposit.
Thats a much better outcome then having to spend 3-4k minimum again to apply next year.

This is what I plan to do, and what I think you should do. Don't commit till you have too, but if you got an acceptance you take it (and if you have choices, pick the best one). Its expensive, but its worth it. Just remember how much it will cost in both time and money if you have to go applying for a second round.

*I feel like there should be a disclaimer right here about having like a 67ish+ LizzyM, then you don't need to lock down anywhere unless you just want to go there. But then again, is peace of mind bad for anyone? You really can't go wrong locking down an acceptance.

Last edited:
I think the thought is, that even if you hope to go MD, you pay for one D.O. spot at whatever school you like the most and has accepted you *. It would be gut wrenching to have to do the whole cycle again, especially with a changed MCAT.

So yeah, you 'might be' out 1500, but at the end of the day, if your instate takes you and they are 10k cheaper a year, you deal with that and forfeit your deposit.
Thats a much better outcome then having to spend 3-4k minimum again to apply next year.

This is what I plan to do, and what I think you should do. Don't commit till you have too, but if you got an acceptance you take it (and if you have choices, pick the best one). Its expensive, but its worth it. Just remember how much it will cost in both time and money if you have to go applying for a second round.

*I feel like there should be a disclaimer right here about having like a 67ish+ LizzyM, then you don't need to lock down anywhere unless you just want to go there. But then again, is peace of mind bad for anyone? You really can't go wrong locking down an acceptance.
Yea i agree, if i get in lecom i will just put down the deposit, its worth it

This was my status on my LECOM Bradenton portal:

Your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions Committee in 60 days.

Anybody have any insight into what this may mean? Perhaps I'm being considered but they don't want to axe me just yet? I'll take it positively and continue to update them with what I'm doing. Anybody else have this status?

Gotta keep saying..."med school is an investment"

Im excited for this interview though. I plan on chilling at the beach the day before. Anyone know if it is unbearably hot in florida right now?

I just spent a week in Bradenton. It's extremely hot!!! Spent the whole time with only my face not in the water. But the campus location is beautiful! Of course my interview couldn't be while I was already down there. Gotta spend money to go back out 8/29.

This was my status on my LECOM Bradenton portal:

Your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions Committee in 60 days.

Anybody have any insight into what this may mean? Perhaps I'm being considered but they don't want to axe me just yet? I'll take it positively and continue to update them with what I'm doing. Anybody else have this status?

It sounds like a pre-interview hold, which isn't necessarily a bad thing! I think you're absolutely right to take it positively. To me, it means that they're interested enough to keep your file open and not outright reject you.

I just spent a week in Bradenton. It's extremely hot!!! Spent the whole time with only my face not in the water. But the campus location is beautiful! Of course my interview couldn't be while I was already down there. Gotta spend money to go back out 8/29.
Oh no hahah, where did you go! Beach?

I finally got my DO letter in! I have never been so happy lol.
I know you have been having trouble getting it. I think the key was to keep at them. I kept texting him, and today he says he has tried before but didnt know how (why he didnt tell me idk), but just keep bugging them!

I finally got my DO letter in! I have never been so happy lol.
I know you have been having trouble getting it. I think the key was to keep at them. I kept texting him, and today he says he has tried before but didnt know how (why he didnt tell me idk), but just keep bugging them!
Good deal, yeah I got to keep on him, now that I actually work at the same hospital, he will get to see more of me.... But I do have a couple DO's in the PreOp, who I might hit up as well in a couple weeks when they know me better (or really when I figure out which ones are nice, and will do it, lol).

Good deal, yeah I got to keep on him, now that I actually work at the same hospital, he will get to see more of me.... But I do have a couple DO's in the PreOp, who I might hit up as well in a couple weeks when they know me better (or really when I figure out which ones are nice, and will do it, lol).
Good idea. Just important to get it in to be complete early

Does anyone know if they are now requiring biochem and genetics for this school? I noticed on my application it said I was deficient in these courses. Was wondering if anyone else noticed this...?

Disregard - I called and they do not require those courses.

Last edited:
Congrats on interviews everyone! Make sure to post your stats in the "Official Interview Invite Thread 2014-2015 Cycle" in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum so we can keep track of the schools giving out invites!

Received an email to complete the secondary for Erie/Seton Hill. I noticed I'm able to access the Bradenton secondary also, but do I have to wait for an email invitation to do the Bradenton secondary?

Hey, anyone else staying at the Hyatt Place in Sarasota for the 8/11 interview? I'm planning on getting in early Sunday and I have a (tiny) rental car if anyone wants to meet up for food or check out the town.

This lecom thread is dead compared to erie one hah

Hey, anyone else staying at the Hyatt Place in Sarasota for the 8/11 interview? I'm planning on getting in early Sunday and I have a (tiny) rental car if anyone wants to meet up for food or check out the town.
I'm flying into Orlando and driving to Bradenton early Sunday. I'd be willing to meet up that day to check out the town? Let me know what you think

Did anyone receive secondary invites from both Erie/SH and Brad.? Or, is the consensus that once you receive a secondary from one school you just fill out the secondary for the other school? Current student's input would be supremely superb.

Did anyone receive secondary invites from both Erie/SH and Brad.? Or, is the consensus that once you receive a secondary from one school you just fill out the secondary for the other school? Current student's input would be supremely superb.

I only received the Bradenton email invite, but filled both out. SH gave me an ii a week ago but haven't heard word from bradenton yet...so I don't think it matters, fill out both.

how long does it usually take to rcv a secondary from here after your application has been released?

I only received the Bradenton email invite, but filled both out. SH gave me an ii a week ago but haven't heard word from bradenton yet...so I don't think it matters, fill out both.
Wait, you received only the bradenton email, but filled out both, and only have an ii at SH so far? Lol, I love it.

I just didn't know if they actually send out two emails. The email from Erie implied to fill out the secondary from Bradenton but that implication could just be a massive leap of my writing mind.

Last edited:
I received Bradenton's Processed email 7/18. I've been "sent to the admissions committee for further review" ever since.

Anyone interviewing Monday (8/4)? I'm OOS but was on vacation with the family in Florida this past week so I'm heading to Bradenton tonight.

Anyone interviewing Monday (8/4)? I'm OOS but was on vacation with the family in Florida this past week so I'm heading to Bradenton tonight.
I am! I'm driving down that morning though since I live a couple of hours away.

I am! I'm driving down that morning though since I live a couple of hours away.

Awesome! I just got into Bradenton, staying at a hotel on 75 and the area looks beautiful!

Received an email to complete the secondary for Erie/Seton Hill. I noticed I'm able to access the Bradenton secondary also, but do I have to wait for an email invitation to do the Bradenton secondary?

I did too and I just thought my Bradenton email went to spam so I filled it out. I could not pay for Bradenton but I could for Erie.

I received email secondary invites to both probably a day apart.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! Let us know how everything goes :)

Awesome interview day, so laid back and conversational. I'll post details after this 12 hour drive.

Reactions: 2 users
Today was extremely laid-back. The interview was a group interview with 6 people and 2 interviewers. It seemed like ever group had a different experience ( mine had almost no questions, all conversation, other groups it was all questions), but they all seemed very relaxed. We didn't get to sit in on a PBL class, as today was the first day of classes, but they went over the format. The only thing that made me a bit uncomfortable was that at the end of the day they kept stressing how their school was so much better than all of the other DO schools, or at least that is how it felt to me.

Today was extremely laid-back. The interview was a group interview with 6 people and 2 interviewers. It seemed like ever group had a different experience ( mine had almost no questions, all conversation, other groups it was all questions), but they all seemed very relaxed. We didn't get to sit in on a PBL class, as today was the first day of classes, but they went over the format. The only thing that made me a bit uncomfortable was that at the end of the day they kept stressing how their school was so much better than all of the other DO schools, or at least that is how it felt to me.
What do you mean all conversation. How was there conversation with no interview questions lol

What do you mean all conversation. How was there conversation with no interview questions lol

Maybe I worded that poorly. By almost no questions and all conversation, I meant that the interviewers talked at us for 75% of the time and asked us 1 question we all answered. The rest of the time we were just responding to what they said, not specific questions.

Maybe I worded that poorly. By almost no questions and all conversation, I meant that the interviewers talked at us for 75% of the time and asked us 1 question we all answered. The rest of the time we were just responding to what they said, not specific questions.
So only 25 percent was you guys actually being interviewed!

Do any of you guys know if they are picky with signatures on the letters? The DO that wrote my letter is quite up there in age and another DO school notified me that he forgot to put a signature on it and I would hate to rush him to re upload it all again.

Just to give a few more details about the interview day, the day started off with all the interviewees (about 25 of us?) being placed in a room and a couple of introductions being given. We were then broken up into groups and taken to the PBL rooms for our group interviews (6 of us) and these lasted about an hour. The interviewers (2 to each room) were a mix of PhDs and DOs.

In my interview, we first introduced ourselves and then we did a group project in which we had to decide what a typical day would be like by writing a timeline with each minute accounted for on the board. I think this was probably to see both how we interacted in a group and also to get the point across that PBL requires A LOT of reading/studying time.

After the project, we were really only asked one question about how we felt about PBL and if we had any experience with it during undergrad/grad school. We went around the table with each of us giving a short description of our experience and after that, the professors talked to us for a few minutes. Then we were able to ask them some questions and that was the end of the interview. To be honest, I am not sure how our interview really affected their decision on whether to accept/reject any of us. However, as readingrl said, some other groups were asked more questions.

Next, we all went back to the room and were given a presentation by Dr. Longley who is the director of PBL. We didn’t get to sit in on a PBL session since they haven’t started them yet. After that, we had a short financial aid presentation and then a break. Then they brought us lunch and we just ate and talked. After that, four 2nd year med students came and sat with us and answered all of our questions and took us on a tour.

Finally at the end of the day, we had another presentation about why LECOM-B was so good with several statistics regarding board schools, residency placement, etc. This was probably the worst part of the day. That lasted about 30 minutes and then we were given a sheet of paper that we were to check whether we wanted to be notified immediately of their decision (they said they meet next week) or wait until November 15. When you are notified, you have 30 days to submit a $1500 deposit. They did say that you are able to change your mind though, and just to email them to let them know. All in all, I was very impressed and I wish I could have set in on a PBL session, but I left with very positive impressions of the school and the faculty. The interview day itself was extremely relaxed. I’m probably leaving some info out, if I think of anything else I’ll add it later.

Reactions: 6 users
Just to give a few more details about the interview day, the day started off with all the interviewees (about 25 of us?) being placed in a room and a couple of introductions being given. We were then broken up into groups and taken to the PBL rooms for our group interviews (6 of us) and these lasted about an hour. The interviewers (2 to each room) were a mix of PhDs and DOs.

In my interview, we first introduced ourselves and then we did a group project in which we had to decide what a typical day would be like by writing a timeline with each minute accounted for on the board. I think this was probably to see both how we interacted in a group and also to get the point across that PBL requires A LOT of reading/studying time.

After the project, we were really only asked one question about how we felt about PBL and if we had any experience with it during undergrad/grad school. We went around the table with each of us giving a short description of our experience and after that, the professors talked to us for a few minutes. Then we were able to ask them some questions and that was the end of the interview. To be honest, I am not sure how our interview really affected their decision on whether to accept/reject any of us. However, as readingrl said, some other groups were asked more questions.

Next, we all went back to the room and were given a presentation by Dr. Longley who is the director of PBL. We didn’t get to sit in on a PBL session since they haven’t started them yet. After that, we had a short financial aid presentation and then a break. Then they brought us lunch and we just ate and talked. After that, four 2nd year med students came and sat with us and answered all of our questions and took us on a tour.

Finally at the end of the day, we had another presentation about why LECOM-B was so good with several statistics regarding board schools, residency placement, etc. This was probably the worst part of the day. That lasted about 30 minutes and then we were given a sheet of paper that we were to check whether we wanted to be notified immediately of their decision (they said they meet next week) or wait until November 15. When you are notified, you have 30 days to submit a $1500 deposit. They did say that you are able to change your mind though, and just to email them to let them know. All in all, I was very impressed and I wish I could have set in on a PBL session, but I left with very positive impressions of the school and the faculty. The interview day itself was extremely relaxed. I’m probably leaving some info out, if I think of anything else I’ll add it later.
This is tremendous. My LECOM-B secondary just finished processing, so I'm hoping to hear something back soon. Thanks for the details, and best of luck to you!