KCUMB class of 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received any other info past the acceptance letter?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't. I assume all that comes after you pay your deposit.

I received a lot of information about medical forms and possible scholarships, but the financial aid rep said that the aid forms will come out in April. She also said to fill out the FAFSA as an independent to speed things up.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody else have a conditional acceptance? I have to take Biochem (and make a C or better) before school starts. If so where are you guys planning on taking it?

I have a conditional acceptance as well. They emailed me at the beginning of this year though to tell me that I needed to take another course so I signed up. Maybe you can take biochem over the summer? Or find an online course? After you take the course, does anyone know if you just show them your transcript to prove you passed the class?

Yeah, I've been looking at some online classes, University of New England offers a 4 credit Biochem that you can take at any time but it's pretty expensive ($1200) and it kind of sucks because I only need a 3 credit Biochem

I received a lot of information about medical forms and possible scholarships, but the financial aid rep said that the aid forms will come out in April. She also said to fill out the FAFSA as an independent to speed things up.

Filled out mine yesterday...did my taxes the day before so it only took me 5 minutes or so. Pretty painless.

Don't we need to buy equipment, books, as well as do some type of background check? When does that happen? Do we do it on are own, or do we buy everything through the school?

Don't we need to buy equipment, books, as well as do some type of background check? When does that happen? Do we do it on are own, or do we buy everything through the school?

They recommend you buy the equipment through the school. You'll get a packet about that. The packet will also include the background check information.

Don't buy ANY books yet. When the time comes, you'll only need a handful of books for KCUMB. Most of the information you need to know comes directly from lectures and lecture notes. You may want to pick up a couple of the OMT books because you'll be quizzed on the pre-reading in lab. You'll also need the required Gross Anatomy book (Moore's) because some test questions come from the blue boxes in there and you'll need a Grant's Dissector. Many in previous classes also found Netter's extremely useful (last year, we didn't need any of the Anatomy books until after the first block because we didn't begin Anatomy until September). But I would probably hold off on all of those until orientation or until you get access to the school email system. Third years will send out tons of emails about books they're selling. Buy anything you need from them -- much cheaper!

If you want to buy something now, I would look up How The Immune System Works on Amazon. If you don't have a background in Immunology, this book is a god-send. It's very basic, so it'll help introduce you to the topics so you can then build on it with class lectures. You don't need to start reading it until school starts, but it'll be a huge help during the first block. I was completely lost in Immunology until I read that book.

Congratulations to everyone!

They recommend you buy the equipment through the school. You'll get a packet about that. The packet will also include the background check information.

Don't buy ANY books yet. When the time comes, you'll only need a handful of books for KCUMB. Most of the information you need to know comes directly from lectures and lecture notes. You may want to pick up a couple of the OMT books because you'll be quizzed on the pre-reading in lab. You'll also need the required Gross Anatomy book (Moore's) because some test questions come from the blue boxes in there and you'll need a Grant's Dissector. Many in previous classes also found Netter's extremely useful (last year, we didn't need any of the Anatomy books until after the first block because we didn't begin Anatomy until September). But I would probably hold off on all of those until orientation or until you get access to the school email system. Third years will send out tons of emails about books they're selling. Buy anything you need from them -- much cheaper!

If you want to buy something now, I would look up How The Immune System Works on Amazon. If you don't have a background in Immunology, this book is a god-send. It's very basic, so it'll help introduce you to the topics so you can then build on it with class lectures. You don't need to start reading it until school starts, but it'll be a huge help during the first block. I was completely lost in Immunology until I read that book.

Thank you very much for this great information.:)

A current 2nd year also recommended Pathology Rapid Review 3rd edition...picked it up on Amazon.

They'll be a day in August where the MSIs can buy books from the MSIIs. You can wait until then to buy if you want.

First Aid for USMLE, BRS physio, Goljan Path are all good buys
Netter and/or COA is essential

Bates, DiGiovanna, FOM: I have Bates and DiGiovanna, not FOM though. The necessary readings are all print out for you in the library and you can make copies. I like and will be keeping my Bates and DiGiovanna though.

The SOMA club was selling Netter for cheap to new members at the club fair at the beginning of the year.

For equipment, note that you can buy everything separately if you want instead of the package. That's what I did. Ebay and Steeles.com . Also, steeles has this clearance section that sometimes has steths for cheap because they're engraved wrong. I picked up my master cardio there. I just stuck a sticker over the incorrect engraving.

You'll get your info pack mid-late June and you'll have only a week to fill out and return it. Do it fast or they'll get angry at you. ;)
Also, when you fill out the blackboard account thing, they'll send you yoru acct stuff, but it'll prolly go to your junkmail spam filter box thing.

CONGRATS guys!

Below is our Textbook list.
Harrison's and a couple of the other ones are available for you for free online as a KCUMB student. I can't recall which the other are

2009-2010 MSI Textbook List
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences –
College of Osteopathic Medicine
Required Textbooks for the 2009-10 Academic Year
MSI
Anatomy
• Atlas of Human Anatomy, Netter, Frank Henry, Saunders/Elsevier, C2006, ISBN
• Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Moore, Keith L, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, C2010, ISBN
• Grant's Dissector, Tank, Patrick W, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, C2009, ISBN
Biochemistry
• Marks' Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach, Lieberman, Michael, Wolters
Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, C2009, ISBN 9780781770224
BLS
• BLS For Healthcare Providers. Student Manual, American Heart Association, AHA, C2006,
ISBN 0874934613
Embryology
• Langman's Medical Embryology, Sadler, Thomas W, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, C2010,
ISBN 9780781790697
Genetics
• Elsevier's Integrated Genetics, Adkison, Linda R, Mosby/Elsevier, C2007, ISBN
• Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology, Gardner, David G, Ed., Mcgraw-Hill Medical,
C2007, ISBN 9780071440110
Histology
• Color Atlas of Histology, Gartner, Leslie P, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, C2009, ISBN
• Eroschenko's Interactive Histology [Computer File], Eroschenko, Victor P, Distributed By
AGC Educational Media, C1997
Immunology
• Roitt's Essential Immunology, Delves, Peter J., Blackwell Pub, C2006, ISBN 1405136030
Internal Medicine
• Clinical Electrocardiography: A Simplified Approach, Goldberger, Ary Louis, Mosby,
C2006, ISBN 0323040381
• Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, Fauci, Anthony S, Ed., Mcgraw-Hill Medical,
C2008, ISBN 9780071476911 (Two-Vol. Set)
• Rapid Interpretation of EKG's: An Interactive Course, Dubin, Dale, Cover Pub. Co, C2001,
ISBN 9780912912066
Microbiology
• Jawetz, Melnick & Adelberg's Medical Microbiology, Brooks, George F, McGraw-Hill
Medical, C2007, ISBN 9780071476669
Osteopathic Clinical Skills
• Bates' Guide to Physical Examination And History Taking, Lynn S. Bickley, Philadelphia :
Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, C2009, ISBN 9780781780582
• Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine, Ward, Robert C., Ed., Lippincott Williams &
Wilkins, C2003, ISBN 0781734975
• Medical Interview: Mastering Skills for Clinical Practice, Coulehan, John L., F.A. Davis Co,
C2006, ISBN 080361246X
• Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment, DiGiovanna, Eileen L., Ed, Lippincott
Williams And Wilkins, C2005, ISBN 0781742935
Pathology
• Histology & Cell Biology: An Introduction to Pathology, Kierszenbaum, Abraham L, Mosby
Elsevier, C2007, ISBN 0323045278
• Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, Kumar, Vinay, Ed, Elsevier Saunders,
C2009, ISBN 1416031219
Pediatrics
• Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, Kliegman, Robert M., Ed, Saunders, C2007, ISBN
Pharmacology
• Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, Katzung, Bertram G, Ed, Mcgraw-Hill Medical , C2009,
ISBN 0071604057
• Goodman & Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, Brunton, Lawrence L.,
Ed, Mcgraw-Hill, C2006, ISBN 0071422803
Physiology
• Textbook of Medical Physiology, Guyton, Arthur C, Elsevier Saunders, C2006, ISBN
Preventative Medicine
• Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Preventive Medicine, Jekel, James F., Saunders/Elsevier,
C2007, ISBN 9781416034964
Research
• Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches, Creswell,
John W., Sage Publications, C2009, ISBN 9781412965569
Surgery
• Essentials of General Surgery, Lawrence, Peter F., Ed, Williams & Wilkins, C2006, ISBN
Note: Online resources can only be accessed by five people at a time.

Hi everyone! I'm from St. Louis, and I'll probably be going to KCUMB next year. Firstly, thanks to all the med students who have provided so much valuable information so far.

I have two questions:

1) I'm considering living in Century Towers, but I was wondering what the washer/dryer and the high speed internet situation is there?

2) If I don't live in Century Towers, what are a couple apartment complexes that KCUMB students usually live at.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Outside of CT, the class is spread throughout the KC area. Utilize the apartment search service the school provides. The company has been working with students for several years and usually can point you in the right direction based upon your needs. Also, if you are looking for a student roommate, they can help you match with someone. There should be information in your packet you received at the interview. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and best of luck as you transition into the next step of your lives.

CT just got brand new washers & dryers. They are all card-based. you fill your card in the lobby with money and then you can use the laundry rooms on every floor whenever you want. I think its about $1.25 a load to wash. $1.50 to dry. not too bad.

The internet is great in CT. The smartest thing to do is to split internet with your neighbors. 4 people or more can easily split the highest grade internet and pay like $7 a piece.

hope it helps.

and everyone, i know that it seems like they take forever to get your your packets, but i promise you'll have plenty of time. Things will work out. The administration is not always the most proactive, but they do get things done.

Don't bother getting any books until you get here. Then you'll know what you personally NEED to get. They pass out packets, i'm sure you saw on your interview, that have ALL the testable information. So why get a text? The only texts i ever used were board review books.

refer to my earlier post for more ideas about what to expect.

everybody is so quiet in this thread!

Where does everybody stand in terms of their matriculation packet?
-I still need to get my physical/immunization extras done (scheduled dr. appt for this coming monday)
-Have to finish biochemistry (my contingency) - about 1/2 way through
-Need to mail my transcripts

And then I think I'm set.

No longer available.

Last edited:
I'm a current MSII hoping to get rid of some books. I will be in KC until June 15th and after that I'll be in the STL area. If you are interested please email me at [email protected]. Best of luck to all of you and enjoy your last summer off!!!

Books for MSI’s
1. Basic Immunology 3rd edition……..$20.00
2. BLS for Healthcare Providers……...$5.00
3. Adkison & Brown, Genetics…………$25.00
4. Histology Text & Atlas, Ross, 4th edition…..$10.00
5. DiFiore’s Atlas of Histology 10th edition……$10.00
6. Basic Medical Biochemistry, Marks, Marks & Smith……$10.00
7. Guyton & Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology 11th edition…..$30.00
8. Digiovanna, An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment…..$25.00
9. Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd edition……$45.00

Books for MSII’s
1. Atlas of basic Neurological Anatomy……$10.00
2. Neuroanatomy, An Illustrated Color Text 3rd edition…….$30.00
3. Cranial Nerves, 2nd edition…..$25.00
4. Two Subject based Qbooks…..$5.00/each

Books for Board Review or Subject Review
1. Langeman’s Medical Embryology 9th edition….$5.00
2. BRS Embryology 3rd edition……$5.00
3. Rapid Review Pharmacology 2nd edition…..$5.00
4. BRS Physiology 4th edition…..$5.00
5. Rapid Review Biochemistry 2nd edition…..$15.00
6. BRS Microbiology & Immunology 4th edition….$5.00
7. Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple 3rd edition…..$15.00
8. BRS Pathology……$5.00
Review of Pathology….$5.00

So what is all in the matriculation package? I've heard background check, orientation schedule, textbook list, anything else?

Hey there. I'm an incoming first year student living with a UMKC pharmacy student and a UMKC undergrad about 10 minutes north of campus in a nice neighborhood. We are looking for a 4th roommate that's female (we are all girls), responsible and respectful (I.E. not stumble in loud and drunk at 4 am the morning before a final like a former roommate), clean, and of course, fun.

The house is 3 levels, all wood floors, powered by gas and electric, and we have a golden retriever and two cats.
Rent: $281.25/ mo and utilities will be super low when divided by 4 people.

If you are interested, shoot me a message ([email protected]) and I'll get your name to my roommate that is also the land lord.http://more.studentdoctor.net/register.php?do=addmember

So what is all in the matriculation package? I've heard background check, orientation schedule, textbook list, anything else?

List of supplies we need to have and computer requirements

Cool. Thanks, I actually got the packet yesterday. Do you guys recommend the Panoptic with blue filter that is on the equipment list. It's an extra $175, but online they are ~$600, so it seems like a good deal but honestly I don't how necessary it is to have one. Any current students have any thoughts?

Does anyone still have the number/email/name of the realtor apartment search service woman?

Thanks a lot! Have you contacted her yourself for help with finding an apartment? What places has she been suggesting to students?

Yeah I did actually, I contacted her a few months back and she basically just asked what my price range was and how far I was willing to live from campus. She then found several places that fit that criteria and was able to set up appointments for me on a Saturday since I am not from KC.

Cool. Thanks, I actually got the packet yesterday. Do you guys recommend the Panoptic with blue filter that is on the equipment list. It's an extra $175, but online they are ~$600, so it seems like a good deal but honestly I don't how necessary it is to have one. Any current students have any thoughts?

Ya, i'm wondering the same thing. The facebook 2014 thread has some chatter on the subject, but most are II years suggesting to buy online piece by piece. The idea of breaking out of the norm from what everyone else is going to have kind of frightens me. hah i'm such a wimp.

Couple of quick questions, I got the information about medical equipment packages available and was wondering, do I have to buy through the school or can buy ala carte online? Also, if I remember right the standard dress code for classes is scrubs, so is there any specific requirements on those?

Hi, I'm posting this house for a good friend of mine. House is centrally located between our campus/Westport and Plaza. Its right behind UPTOWN theater. So its within 10 min walking distance to Westport. 5-10min drive to KCUMB.

Listing for $182K
3554 Pennsylvania Avenue.
KC MO 64111

House is two stories. Porch, back deck. 3 bedroom. 2 full bathrooms upstairs, living room, dining room, dry basement/storage, off street parking
Available for showing now. Here are some pictures.
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=b8510c3d.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=4740a534.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=58609b2e.jpg
The porch is newly painted 2 weeks ago.
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=6929d19b.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=1694bcdd.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=944195fe.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=11abe34d.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=85de2a7e.jpg
side door to basement
basement newly painted last week
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=a64f8b60.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=3c8b2839.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=18cc9633.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=6fde095b.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=5c578540.jpg

Uptstairs
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=5c578540.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=18cc9633.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c57/m42sport/?action=view&current=6fde095b.jpg
master bedroom

If interested contact Nathan Arnold
[email protected] or at 816-868-2218

As to the scrubs issue, you have to have solid colors. But that is really the only rule.

As to the equipment, we first years haven't used our equipment basically at all, except the stethoscope. The second years tell us you only use your equipment for score 1 physicals. I have heard most say you don't need any of the fancy stuff. I got the lithium battery and regret not getting the cheaper one. The weight of it is much better. The one thing i do recommend is getting the bag or finding a small duffel to fit it all.

Good luck to everyone.

if anyone is doing their biochemistry through the university of new england...dont worry to much about the final. its pretty easy. I just finished all my to do's for kcumb so i'm 100% ready to come. i'm getting excited

Lot's of good info in here.

I emailed the bookstore and she said we can buy all the medical equipment on our own. She said the benefit to buying it through the school is that all the equipment has a warranty on it.

I already have a littman and tuning forks and a reflex hammer at home. So I only need to pick up a couple more things. The bookstore also said they can order whichever pieces of equipment you want if you do not want to order a complete package.

Anybody else getting a little antsy? I know we still have a month before we start, but I'm actually starting to get really excited. Oh about the dress code. I know scrubs are ok, but how formal is the dress supposed to be when not wearing scrubs?

Khakis and a dress shirt with or even without a tie + white coat.

I haven't been on campus as a student in a few years, but when I was there the dress code was pretty laid back. Scrubs were my uniform for two years straight. I don't see any problem with a polo and to be honest with you, I rarely ever saw anyone wearing a white coat. Things may have changed since I was there though.

Anyone out there still looking for a roommate for this year...yeah I know, school starts in a week!