KCUMB class of 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkrames1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did not see this thread yet so I thought I would start it. Congrats to all going to KCUMB next fall.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm leaning on this school to, but not totally sure. I was just wondering why you ultimately chose KCUMB.

Members don't see this ad :)
sort of leaning agaisnt this school since we have to deposit $1000

I'm not real excited about the deposit either, but I'm waiting to hear from OSU before I send them any money. Really hope I don't get stuck paying the deposit and then going somewhere else.

sort of leaning agaisnt this school since we have to deposit $1000

Guys couple of things...
1) This is "KCUMB class of 2014" so please refrain from posting if you are either accepted and planning to attend or at the very least interested in KCUMB... (i.e. nothing negative save that for KCUMB 2009-2010 application thread)

2) Almost every DO school requires at least a $1,000 deposit and some even more (KCOM, AZCOM-SOMA, AZCOM, CCOM,DMU, LECOM, LMUDCOM, MSU($750), NYCOM, NSU-COM, PNWU-COM, PCSOM, all Touros, WVCOM, WesternU) so unless you specifically waiting for the four or five schools that are not listed, deposit should not be an issue. I understand there is an obvious difference in $1,000 required now, opposed to the 100,000 you will owe in loans later, but it could be whether or not you end up going to med school so ask, beg, work, and figure out how to get the money for the deposit.

3) If you want to talk about the school pm me.

I understand that deposits are just another hurdle we all have to jump through, I'm just in the unfortunate position that I may have to pay the deposit to secure a seat somewhere before hearing from other schools.

I was very impressed with every aspect of KCUMB except for maybe the class size, but they seem to accomodate that pretty well.

mind if I ask why you chose KCUMB? What about it resonated well with you?

Sectioned systems based curriculum, about a mile from a major city, 98% first time pass rate for board scores, choice to leave or stay for third and fourth year rotations, been around since 1916 are some of the reasons I'm choosing KCUMB

Just sent my deposit in today. It was tough to give up the weather AZCOM has to offer. I looked into apts downtown at the Quality Hill apartment complex near 8th street. Close to bus loop, pretty cheap for a downtown area (I'm use to Chicago's cost of living though) and it's 1.75 miles from school in a nice area. Close to Power and light district, YMCA (need that access to an indoor bball court and I it isn't a huge hassle getting to the NE part where the neighborhood is just well.... Hood.

Just sent my deposit in today. It was tough to give up the weather AZCOM has to offer. I looked into apts downtown at the Quality Hill apartment complex near 8th street. Close to bus loop, pretty cheap for a downtown area (I'm use to Chicago's cost of living though) and it's 1.75 miles from school in a nice area. Close to Power and light district, YMCA (need that access to an indoor bball court and I it isn't a huge hassle getting to the NE part where the neighborhood is just well.... Hood.

My gf and I are looking at places in north kc about 5 to 10 from school she goes to umkc med school which is 2 miles south kcumb. Most places we are looking are around 800-1000 month two bed places and most have some kind of pool and workout center I just wish they were closer to the school.

I've also been recently accepted and my wife, 2 children, and I have been searching for places to live. The best deal we have found is at riverside townhouses (http://riversidetownhousesmo.com/ ). We haven't been able to see it for ourselves, but a current student, who also has a family, said it's in a nice neighborhood and great school district for the little ones. So anyone who is in the same boat, or looking for reasonable living prices, check out the link above. We also have a couple friends who are cops in KC and are checking out various locations for us, so when we receive that info I'll be sure to post it for all you future KCUMBers

On another note, are any of you class of 2014 students a little confused by the firing of Karen Pletz? A little disconcerting, but still can't wait to attend KCUMB. Just interested in what some of my future classmates feel about the situation.

I've also been recently accepted and my wife, 2 children, and I have been searching for places to live. The best deal we have found is at riverside townhouses (http://riversidetownhousesmo.com/ ). We haven't been able to see it for ourselves, but a current student, who also has a family, said it's in a nice neighborhood and great school district for the little ones. So anyone who is in the same boat, or looking for reasonable living prices, check out the link above. We also have a couple friends who are cops in KC and are checking out various locations for us, so when we receive that info I'll be sure to post it for all you future KCUMBers

On another note, are any of you class of 2014 students a little confused by the firing of Karen Pletz? A little disconcerting, but still can't wait to attend KCUMB. Just interested in what some of my future classmates feel about the situation.

That does seem like a pretty good deal. I am not exactly sure on the location, but I would definitely try to check it out before moving. I know Riverside has a fairly high crime rate for the area... There are also income limitations and you have to purchase a membership from the cooperative, so that might not be for everyone.

I am a little worried about the situation as well. There is a thread in the Osteopathic forum that has a lot of information (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=646402&page=6). It seems to me to be financial since others have been placed on paid leave and there was an independent investigation. But everything is just speculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings fellow KCUMB'ers. Congrats on the best decision you'll ever make. As a 2007 graduate of KCUMB and current IM resident @ KU Med, I can honestly say that KCUMB provided me with an education second to none. I will be serving as a chief resident, hopefully followed by a cardiology fellowship.
For those of you contemplating purchasing a home, I'd like to let you know that we will be selling our downtown condominium. We have had some wonderful years in this place and are sad to move, however, a new baby and the prospect of having to move for fellowship are forcing us to move.
We currently live in the Manhattan condominium on 7th and Cherry. Our windows face East and have a nice view of KCUMB. Probably not walking distance but less than half a mile away. We have a THREE bedroom condo (which is nearly impossible to find). Our unit was built in 2007. I expect that it will sell fairly quick but wanted to extend the option to view our place to those of you who may be interested in purchasing. If you would like more info, feel free to contact me via SDN email, or through [email protected]. I'd be happy to provide you with whatever info you may want.
Secondly, even if you have no interest in the condo but would like to speak more about KCUMB then feel free to contact me as well. As I said, I have nothing but positive experiences from my time at KCUMB.
Good luck to everyone during the interview process and for those of you who have committed to KCUMB, congrats again...you won't regret your decision!

Any other class of KCUMB 2014ers from Minnesota? If not, where ya'll from.

how long after the interview did you guys get your acceptances?

how long after the interview did you guys get your acceptances?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Adcom meets every other friday so it will depend on how close your interview was to the next meeting. In my case it was 10 days. They also told us at our interview what day they would be meeting next, so I called that afternoon and got the great news over the phone. Hopefully everything went well for you

Thanks. I just got my acceptance letter today! :)

Does anyone know when orientation is going to be? The website doesn't have the updated calendar, but it looks like the first week of August from last year. Also has anyone got any information from them since sending in the deposit like they say in the acceptance letter?

Thanks!

Does anyone know when orientation is going to be? The website doesn't have the updated calendar, but it looks like the first week of August from last year. Also has anyone got any information from them since sending in the deposit like they say in the acceptance letter?

Thanks!

I was also assuming the first week of August, basing it off last year's calendar. And no, I also haven't received anything from them, even though it has only been about 10 days since they received my deposit. When I talked to them about a month ago they said it would probably be 2 weeks after I sent my deposit because they running behind due to the Christmas break. Hope it comes soon though, I'm getting pretty excited to start this process.

I live in North KC and it only takes me 14 min. to get to school (about 7 miles). I really don't mind it. There are a lot of possible routes to get to school.

I am a 4th year at kcumb and have lived at the North Brighton Townhouses for the 4 years. It is a CO-OP similar to Riverside. It is only 10 minutes from school just north of the River by Cerner and North Kansas City Hospital. There are quit a few student families here as well as one single student living in a 2 bedroom unit. We have a 3 bedroom end unit and pay $381 a month. It has really been and life-saver these 4 years. I have 2 kids as well. For those who don't know how a CO-OP works (I didn't) you pay a "buy-in" amount at the beginning and then you have cheap rent. When you move and sell it you get back your buy-in plus interest. It has saved us about $20,000 in rent over 4 years. Also, if we decide to buy a house when we move we will have a little money for a down payment when we get our buy-in back. We will most likely be moving in May or June. Send me a private messenge for details and pics. Perfect for couples and families.

http://www.madisonwalnutcreek.com/
My girlfriend and I are going to move here. It is really close to school (5-10) about 4-5 miles and it is really close to grocery stores. A two person runs around 800-900/month, but the place has tons of ammenities.

http://www.madisonwalnutcreek.com/
My girlfriend and I are going to move here. It is really close to school (5-10) about 4-5 miles and it is really close to grocery stores. A two person runs around 800-900/month, but the place has tons of ammenities.

Looks like a great place, just wish they had a 3 bedroom, although that would probably be out of budget anyway. When do you plan on moving?

They take 90-day holds on applications so probably move in early July and apply in March or April

Looks like a great place, just wish they had a 3 bedroom, although that would probably be out of budget anyway. When do you plan on moving?
medschoolfamily,

Just saw your post on here... have you gave any thought to buying a house or are you just looking to rent? I am currently a student at KCUMB and my wife and I are going to be looking to sell our 3 bedroom house in North KC, about 10 minutes from school. It is one block from an elementary school and 3 blocks from a high school and quick access to pretty much everything. We would love to sell it to a student because it has been a great first house for us and that way we could save the student some money by bypassing the realtor. Once we made our minimum down payment our monthly payments are much lower than they would have been for even a two bedroom apartment. Just a thought. Let me know if you or anyone else would be interested in more info. Congrats by the way, I think you will definitely like it here!

Last edited:
medschoolfamily,

Just saw your post on here... have you gave any thought to buying a house or are you just looking to rent? I am currently a student at KCUMB and my wife and I are going to be looking to sell our 3 bedroom house in North KC, about 10 minutes from school. It is one block from an elementary school and 3 blocks from a high school and quick access to pretty much everything. We would love to sell it to a student because it has been a great first house for us and that way we could save the student some money by bypassing the realtor. Once we made our minimum down payment our monthly payments are much lower than they would have been for even a two bedroom apartment. Just a thought. Let me know if you or anyone else would be interested in more info. Congrats by the way, I think you will definitely like it here!

We have kicked around the idea of buying and definitely don't want to just rent an apartment. The idea of the 2 co-op's mentioned in above posts are very appealing to us since you are saving a ton of money and actually make a small investment by going that route. That being said, we would be thrilled to find a decent house, so you can PM me if you want so we can get some more info on the place. Thanks alot for your help.

Thanks!

For those interested, I called admissions today and still no definitive calendar set, but they said you can pretty much count on it being the first week of August. Also, they said that they would be sending out post-deposit packets sometime this week. Can't wait to finally get started on this stuff.

They told me that we would have orientation the first week of August, and then medical school begins the next week! Who's excited??

On the first week in August, they'll have a floor with the old tenants can leave their stuff and new tenants can buy it.

Last edited:
I was talking to a friend the otehr day who used to live in KC and he said that brown recluse spiders are very common there and that before moving in to a house or apartment that it is commonplace to have it checked and sprayed for the spiders. I guess KC is a great climate for them because it isn't too cold in the winter and they like warm moist places to live. Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone else has heard similar issues. Not like it would affect my decision to attend, but just a good thing to be aware of and prepare for.

I have paid my deposit for KCUMB and I am excited to say I will am a member of the class of 2014 for KCUMB!!

As far as the Brown Recluse spiders go...I am a native of Missouri (I have only lived in Texas for one year, the rest of my life has been spent in Missouri) and I can tell you brown recluse spiders are just a part of life in Missouri. Missouri's damp climate makes it almost impossible to entirely rid a place of brown recluses.

I have certainly had many many experiences with brown recluses, including killing a few on my body. However, at the same time, I have never been bitten.

If you want you can have your place sprayed for brown recluses and this will most likely be slightly beneficial, but it won't completely eliminate them.

On a different note:

Where is everyone planning on living? Century Towers, although convenient in location, is much too expensive for me. I am looking at a few other places such as Madison at Walnut Creek and Bennington apartments.

I am thinking about putting together a Facebook group for the KCUMB Class of 2014.

Anyone interested in this? If so, I will take a few minutes away from studying and put it together.

I am thinking about putting together a Facebook group for the KCUMB Class of 2014.

Anyone interested in this? If so, I will take a few minutes away from studying and put it together.
Forget studying, you've already been accepted to medical school:highfive:

but yes, i would be interested in a facebook group

Forget studying, you've already been accepted to medical school:highfive:

but yes, i would be interested in a facebook group

heh, I still need to learn the material as well as possible...the more I learn now, the better start to med school.

The KCUMB Class of 2014 Facebook group is officially created! Please go join on FB if you have an account so we can start getting acquainted with one another.

I look forward to hearing from you all and seeing you in the Facebook group!

Well...there are three of us now in the Facebook group. Surely more than three of us have Facebook?

It would be nice to get to know you all a bit before classes start, even if it is via Facebook.

Well...there are three of us now in the Facebook group. Surely more than three of us have Facebook?

It would be nice to get to know you all a bit before classes start, even if it is via Facebook.
Not sure what's going on, but I can't find the KCUMB class of 2014 group on FB. Not a big fan of the changes to facebook.

Not sure what's going on, but I can't find the KCUMB class of 2014 group on FB. Not a big fan of the changes to facebook.

If you just go to the search box and type in KCUMB, it should pull up a list. It is possible all groups are not shown, so click "View All Group Results".

From there, you should be able to look through the groups and locate "KCUMB Class of 2014"

We are up to 7 members now...slowly but steadily I guess, haha

If you just go to the search box and type in KCUMB, it should pull up a list. It is possible all groups are not shown, so click "View All Group Results".

From there, you should be able to look through the groups and locate "KCUMB Class of 2014"

We are up to 7 members now...slowly but steadily I guess, haha
Make it 8 members

I have a question for those who have applied and been accepted and/or currently are students.

I sent my initial application in around the middle of November. I applied to several schools, with KCUM as my top choice. I had received invitations within the next month to send in secondary applications to all other schools but KCUM. Finally, at the beginning of January, I contacted the admissions office to see the status of my application and they said they had e-mailed me almost a month previous with that info—but I never received it! They re-sent the e-mail and I had the secondary application in by Jan. 24th. Is that too late? Do I have a shot at getting an interview for the class of 2014?

I’m worried because I have an interview at another school next week and am afraid they will want an answer if they accept me ASAP, but I’d really like to interview at KCUM before I make that kind of decision. Any thoughts are welcome!

I think most schools allow about a month before you have to accept or decline. I didn't send in my secondary app to KCUMB until the beginning of January and still received an interview, so you may get one as well.

Hey,

Just wanted to put forth my two cents for ya'll while I've got time. I am going to be a second year soon (wow can't believe it).

First of all, if you are single or without kids, I highly encourage you to live in Century Towers. It's got an amazing dorm-like atmosphere. Nearly 60% of each class lives here and its a great way to meet friends and form study groups. Significant others tend to like it too because its easy networking other significant others :) it has been a real pain to drive back and forth from campus on the highways especially when you have to drive back into town to hang out with everyone or study.

Secondly, don't stress about the dress code. As long as you don't wear jeans or flip flops you're okay. Most students on the day-to-day wear scrub pants and a t-shirt. There are days maybe 30-40% of the time where we are required to dress up. So really find yourself at least 3 pairs of comfortable, nice scrubs (solid colors only- they do enforce that) and get an extra pair for anatomy lab (plan on throwing them away at the beginning of 2nd year. The smell just doesn't wash out).

Next, you'll want to sign up for a pathology tutor. They start sign ups during Orientation at Smith Hall, don't miss out. Also available are anatomy and OMT tutors.

I haven't heard if they've sent out your packets yet (if not don't worry they will)- but don't get the lithium battery medical equipment. The only difference between the two is weight and $100. Most students seem to prefer the heavier equipment anyway. Not worth it in the end. We only end up using the equipment maybe 3 times total, with the exception of the stethoscope which we use monthly.

Also, don't worry about studying before you get here. They start you from scratch and it doesn't really help. Plus it's the last truly free summer you ever have, enjoy it. Do something you've always wanted, because you don't really have time later. Get very caught up on movies. (i miss the movies) If you have to do something, get in the routine of an exercise program. Then you won't be sore on days you have to study.

As for required books, don't get them. Wait until you get here or PM one of us about what books to get. The packets really do the best job of teaching what is tested. If you insist on a reference, board review books (such as Pathology by Goljan or First Aid Step 1) are always a good choice. The only books that everyone in class really MUST have are an anatomy guide (a Netter's or one that shows real cadaver pictures) and a biochem/immunology reference (BRS or old textbooks work perfectly).

Taking out loans can be the trickiest part of getting ready. They have a bunch of information they send you that ends up rather confusing. So I'll summarize. Pick a lender, apply for the amount, print MPN, send to the school. This will make much more sense when the financial aid packet comes. I recommend taking out the Maximum at least the first year, that way you can calculate your expenses later. Discover is usually the lender of choice, in my understanding. Sometimes, your family bank will have a good deal but be sure to look for hidden fees. If you have any problems with your credit report now is a really good time to look into it and fix it.

When you are packing to move here, don't forget to bring something fun: TV or paint set or what-have-you, you'll need some downtime. Be looking on Blackboard and this thread around June and July- most of the second-almost-third years will be selling their stuff.

Otherwise, enjoy. Relax. And congrats! You'll love the curriculum and many of the teachers are stellar.

(any questions PM me)

Last edited:
Hey,

Just wanted to put forth my two cents for ya'll while I've got time. I am going to be a second year soon (wow can't believe it).

First of all, if you are single or without kids, I highly encourage you to live in Century Towers. It's got an amazing dorm-like atmosphere. Nearly 60% of each class lives here and its a great way to meet friends and form study groups. Significant others tend to like it too because its easy networking other significant others :) it has been a real pain to drive back and forth from campus on the highways especially when you have to drive back into town to hang out with everyone or study.

Secondly, don't stress about the dress code. As long as you don't wear jeans or flip flops you're okay. Most students on the day-to-day wear scrub pants and a t-shirt. There are days maybe 30-40% of the time where we are required to dress up. So really find yourself at least 3 pairs of comfortable, nice scrubs (solid colors only- they do enforce that) and get an extra pair for anatomy lab (plan on throwing them away at the beginning of 2nd year. The smell just doesn't wash out).

Next, you'll want to sign up for a pathology tutor. They start sign ups during Orientation at Smith Hall, don't miss out. Also available are anatomy and OMT tutors.

I haven't heard if they've sent out your packets yet (if not don't worry they will)- but don't get the lithium battery medical equipment. The only difference between the two is weight and $100. Most students seem to prefer the heavier equipment anyway. Not worth it in the end. We only end up using the equipment maybe 3 times total, with the exception of the stethoscope which we use monthly.

Also, don't worry about studying before you get here. They start you from scratch and it doesn't really help. Plus it's the last truly free summer you ever have, enjoy it. Do something you've always wanted, because you don't really have time later. Get very caught up on movies. (i miss the movies) If you have to do something, get in the routine of an exercise program. Then you won't be sore on days you have to study.

As for required books, don't get them. Wait until you get here or PM one of us about what books to get. The packets really do the best job of teaching what is tested. If you insist on a reference, board review books (such as Pathology by Goljan or First Aid Step 1) are always a good choice. The only books that everyone in class really MUST have are an anatomy guide (a Netter's or one that shows real cadaver pictures) and a biochem/immunology reference (BRS or old textbooks work perfectly).

Taking out loans can be the trickiest part of getting ready. They have a bunch of information they send you that ends up rather confusing. So I'll summarize. Pick a lender, apply for the amount, print MPN, send to the school. This will make much more sense when the financial aid packet comes. I recommend taking out the Maximum at least the first year, that way you can calculate your expenses later. Discover is usually the lender of choice, in my understanding. Sometimes, your family bank will have a good deal but be sure to look for hidden fees. If you have any problems with your credit report now is a really good time to look into it and fix it.

When you are packing to move here, don't forget to bring something fun: TV or paint set or what-have-you, you'll need some downtime. Be looking on Blackboard and this thread around June and July- most of the second-almost-third years will be selling their stuff.

Otherwise, enjoy. Relax. And congrats! You'll love the curriculum and many of the teachers are stellar.

(any questions PM me)

Awesome, thanks for all the great info, it is really appreciated!