KCUMB class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MJB said:
WHOA! Kemper!

Much bigger venue than I thought....
Yeah they just came through a few months ago on tour but they played small venues so now they are coming back and playing larger ones.

TSisk23 said:
Man I have been a Tool fan forever...you have it right...every messed up word to every messed up song lol. I can understand the feeling at concerts...it can get a little tight. I would suggest you listen to the new album though...I loan it to you if you'd like. It's a lot more mellow and just as good as the older ones. I mean I love other music too but its hard to stop liking Tool.

Can you burn it for me???

Members don't see this ad :)
ambernikel said:
Can you burn it for me???
Why yes I can if you'd like. Ill be in KC on the 1st so sometime after that I can give it to you or if you want me to mail it thats fine. Which ever you prefer...if you want it mailed just PM me your address.

x
ambernikel said:
Awesome glad you found a place. I moved this week and my neighbor tonight was talking about some of the apartments around here that med students often stay at and she mentioned those ones I think. I live in Riverside just south of you I think. I'm not sure but I do know I'm in Platte County. If you need any help with anything just let me know. I haven't had the internet until today so I'm just finally getting back to some of my normal websites.

So if people are getting together for coffee... hook me up! I'm here too and I'm bored also. Well I'm trying to get my house unpacked but still I definitely could use a coffee break and it'd be awesome to put some faces to the names I've seen on here all year.

ambernikel said:
I'm trying to figure out the best place for me and my family (no kids just animals) to live. I posted a question about this in the Osteopathic forum for current KCUMB students. I've heard that if you go around the plaza it's cheap but it's not a great neighborhood. Most of my info is from the docs I work with but all of them went there >10 years ago so a lot has changed since.
Ambernikel, depends on what you're looking for. If you want close and convenient to school (but sorta in the ghetto), CenturyTowers is a great alternative. It is safe, all utilities paid except A/C and heat, friendly, and convenient. If you're looking for something further out that's closer to other stuff, Plaza area is ok, and generally the further south/southwest you go from there, the better the neighborhoods get. Plaza is about 10min from school. If you go North of the River, Woods at walnut creek is 10-15min away depending on traffic, Bennington Ridge is about 15-20min away, also not bad places to live. Best of luck

Hey guys, my friends and I are selling our books and furniture before moving away for rotations. Everything's gotta go, so please call 913-523-4858 and we'll hook you up with things that you'll need for your first 2 years here. I hope your summer is going well and you're enjoying these last few weeks of freedom. Thanks

Hey guys,

just thought i'd let ya know,
orientation schedule is up on blackboard.

enjoy.

anyone here deciding between a pc and a mac laptop? I'm leaning toward the mac, but mainly for the novelty since I don't know much about computers.

nrddct said:
anyone here deciding between a pc and a mac laptop? I'm leaning toward the mac, but mainly for the novelty since I don't know much about computers.
I'm buying a mac...already own one and its been great so...I'm also bringing an old Dell PC I have just in case but when the new OSX comes out on mac it probably wont be necessary with the bootcamp software which allows you to put windows on the mac. But to each his own.

TSisk23 said:
I'm buying a mac...already own one and its been great so...I'm also bringing an old Dell PC I have just in case but when the new OSX comes out on mac it probably wont be necessary with the bootcamp software which allows you to put windows on the mac. But to each his own.

I was looking at the computer requirements which stated that "limited support would be provided for macs at KCUMB" Do you think that will be a issue?

No I have no concerns whatsoever about it. PCs always screw up but I've never had a major issue with a mac...its like anything...if you take care of it...it will be fine.

I just wanted to make a quick note for you guys about internet connection...

DSL through SBC/AT&T is cheaper as far as internet service goes, however......

BIG HOWEVER

If you go with SBC DSL you MUST have phone service... right now I"m stuck with a home phone that I don't need and bay 35-40 after taxes for it (this is the cheapest they offer-- no unlimited long distance). I get my internet for only $16 bucks + tax. Essentially I'm paying about $60 for the internet since my home phone only rings once a day (usually somebody looking for blood or $$ donations). If you have a cell phone, I'd just get the cable internet--

Even if you do want a land-based phone and are getting cable as well, check out the 'all-in-one' package through Time/Warner--- I'm pretty sure it runs a few bucks cheaper than anything SBC/ATT can give you plus you get the faster internet connection AND unlimited calling

And on top of that SBC/AT&T sucks major ass. I haven't had any problems lately, but from December-May I spent at least 30mins per month on phone because they either royally screwed up my bill (credited the wrong account, added a minor long distance service I didn't want) or screwed up my internet (I had a whole e-mail account deleted that had a ton of school work on it for no reason whatsoever!).

Basically, I'd really suggest getting cable connection if you don't need a land line telephone.

BTW, open invite to anybody coming into KC before orientation week-- I'm staying in KC for a while before I ship off for rotations-- if any of you guys want to get together and have a beer (or serveral) and pick some class of 2008 brains about school/what to expect-- I'll rally up a few of my classmates for an outing.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, open invite to anybody coming into KC before orientation week-- I'm staying in KC for a while before I ship off for rotations-- if any of you guys want to get together and have a beer (or serveral) and pick some class of 2008 brains about school/what to expect-- I'll rally up a few of my classmates for an outing.[/QUOTE]

***I'll be expecting no less than 3 beers and a you-call-it shot for my trouble.

I don't know I have SBC/ATT and have for a long time and it only costs $40 after taxes. But I get the plain old phone with nothing but some international long distance. I think if you want cable you should go with the cable pack but I don't have any desire to have cable and the minimum package Time/Warner offered was $60. I also had a lot of problems when I first had cable internet but it was through Cable One. So who knows. It just depends.
Of course I did finally upgrade my phone to get all the caller id and stuff and got a faster internet for after taxes and fees $52.97 a month. Which isn't a huge amount cheaper than cable but like I said I don't care at all to have cable and my cell doesn't always get great reception there. So it would be nice to have a lan line at times.

So this really sucks but due to my lack of funding I'm having to come back home and work until school starts! Argh! I was hoping to get to know people before class started but I guess I'll just see ya all in orientation... :(

I'll probably be back in town about the 4th so if anyone wants to get together then let me know.

ambernikel said:
So this really sucks but due to my lack of funding I'm having to come back home and work until school starts! Argh! I was hoping to get to know people before class started but I guess I'll just see ya all in orientation... :(

I'll probably be back in town about the 4th so if anyone wants to get together then let me know.

Don't feel bad. I'm still working. Probably up until I move on 7/29. OH well. As far as funding, are you talking about just until you get your loans?

Raven Feather said:
Don't feel bad. I'm still working. Probably up until I move on 7/29. OH well. As far as funding, are you talking about just until you get your loans?

Yeah I had some stuff saved up but the move and some other stuff going on caused me to be short. grrr. Oh well that's the life of a medical student. I'm just trying to make it until I get my loans.

ambernikel said:
Yeah I had some stuff saved up but the move and some other stuff going on caused me to be short. grrr. Oh well that's the life of a medical student. I'm just trying to make it until I get my loans.
Amen to that, I hope I can make it also...

Congratulations to the Class of 2010. :thumbup:
I am leaving for rotations and have a few items (1st yr books, a couple of pieces of furniture) that I am unable to bring with me. PM me if you're interested.
Good luck to every one. :luck:
CT4Life

Hey all-
I'm moving to KC August 1. I'll be living at Walnut Creek. Just wondering who else is living at Walnut? Also I'll have plenty of time on my hands once I get there, so who wants to go out? Let's get the social ball rolling here... hit me up on aim leah12682. I'll have a new cell as of wednesday, so I'll post that later. For any interested, Time Warner internet/cable package is $69.95. Cable alone is like 42ish.

I have a mac and I love it- if for any reason they gave us a CD or something that for some bazzarre reason didn't play on a mac (which isn't likely) we could always use one of the school pc's in the study rooms. Besides that I'm always weary of getting tech help from the IT departments ... I'd rather go to the genious bar at a mac store because they know what they're doing anyway.

nrddct said:
I was looking at the computer requirements which stated that "limited support would be provided for macs at KCUMB" Do you think that will be a issue?

Hi 2010!

Congrats! KCUMB was a good choice for me, they allowed me to get my first choice of residency, and I LOVED KC. If you're looking for advice on places to live, I suggest north KC. Make your life easy and don't live too far away, I lived just 10 minutes north of the school and it nice to get away, but not too far to drive. It was probably safer than the plaza area, cheaper, and quieter. Century Towers wasn't available way back when I started, but I saw it when it opened, and it would have been a bit too close for me. I also liked having some parks and stores nearby which north kc offers, the plaza too. Independence is going to require more highway and rush hour traffic time, but there were quite a few people in my class that did live there.

I had a great 3rd and 4th year experience and matched to a non-KC site. Keep in mind that many of you will only need a place for 2 years if you do your rotations outside of KC. This certainly has it's advantages, usually you have a more unified experience being based out of a single or few hospitals than a bunch, as they used to have to do in KC. I don't know what's changed though.

Medical terminology was one of the biggest adjustments when I started medical school. It is very much like learning a foreign language. I'm not sure what they are wanting you to buy, but I remember spending a lot of time looking up terminology in my dictionary the first semester.

I'm also not sure if they are still requiring you to purchase the expensive Pan Optic Opthalmoscope. They made my class and it's too big to carry in a white coat, I now wish I had the older, smaller kind many times. There have been a few occassions where it's been nice, but think hard before making this purchase--if you're sure you'll be doing ortho or something, it's probably not worth it.

Wait to buy your books after classes start. You don't need them all. You will need a Big Robins pathology book and an anatomy atlas like Netter's.

Alright, enough unsolicited advice from a bored alum.
Congrats again, and a final piece of advice, enjoy your summer don't spend it trying and get a head start on studying, you'll have lots of that soon enough!

If anyone wants to go to dinner Monday (July 31) around 8pm, private message me to make arrangements.

2005doc said:
Hi 2010!

Congrats! KCUMB was a good choice for me, they allowed me to get my first choice of residency, and I LOVED KC. If you're looking for advice on places to live, I suggest north KC. Make your life easy and don't live too far away, I lived just 10 minutes north of the school and it nice to get away, but not too far to drive. It was probably safer than the plaza area, cheaper, and quieter. Century Towers wasn't available way back when I started, but I saw it when it opened, and it would have been a bit too close for me. I also liked having some parks and stores nearby which north kc offers, the plaza too. Independence is going to require more highway and rush hour traffic time, but there were quite a few people in my class that did live there.

I had a great 3rd and 4th year experience and matched to a non-KC site. Keep in mind that many of you will only need a place for 2 years if you do your rotations outside of KC. This certainly has it's advantages, usually you have a more unified experience being based out of a single or few hospitals than a bunch, as they used to have to do in KC. I don't know what's changed though.

Medical terminology was one of the biggest adjustments when I started medical school. It is very much like learning a foreign language. I'm not sure what they are wanting you to buy, but I remember spending a lot of time looking up terminology in my dictionary the first semester.

I'm also not sure if they are still requiring you to purchase the expensive Pan Optic Opthalmoscope. They made my class and it's too big to carry in a white coat, I now wish I had the older, smaller kind many times. There have been a few occassions where it's been nice, but think hard before making this purchase--if you're sure you'll be doing ortho or something, it's probably not worth it.

Wait to buy your books after classes start. You don't need them all. You will need a Big Robins pathology book and an anatomy atlas like Netter's.

Alright, enough unsolicited advice from a bored alum.
Congrats again, and a final piece of advice, enjoy your summer don't spend it trying and get a head start on studying, you'll have lots of that soon enough!
I have to ask, what is that first residency choice that you picked and were accepted to?

If any of you KCUMB 'noobs' want to get together with myself and a couple other members of the Class of 2008 to pimp us for some advice on the upcoming year(s)/have a few drinks/food/few-more-drinks this Sunday (July 30th) private message me and we'll figure out where everybody wants to go. I've already got a couple e-mails so I just have to coordinate this things and see what everyone wants to do. If you know any other classmates that wanna come that aren't on SDN-- invite them too
-Later

I, too, am working and will do so until the end of the month. I would probably go crazy if I had all that free time without anything to do. In addition the extra funding will be quite helpful for this expensive endeavor.

BTW: I SOLD MY HOUSE!!! I am finally free to move to KC without worring about renting out my house. YEAH!!!

Raven Feather said:

So, turns out my apartment won't be ready till the 4th... gonna be a tight squeeze between that and orientation, but if anyone wants to get together, let me know. Are you old dudes gonna be around for us "noobs" then?

Khia18 said:
So, turns out my apartment won't be ready till the 4th... gonna be a tight squeeze between that and orientation, but if anyone wants to get together, let me know. Are you old dudes gonna be around for us "noobs" then?

I'll be, I can back things up until August 5th if that works better for everybody-- let me know via e-mail or private message... this whole deal is on the fly... whatever works for the largest amount of people is what I'll go with. I'm assuming that (8/05/06) is a kick ass date for everybody since that is when the largest amount of people will be in town. Somebody--post this get-together on blackboard (I'm assuming you have login IDs) so the rest of your class knows about it and can attend (class cohesion=success.. it worked greatly for the '08 class). If anybody still wants to get together this Sunday I'm down (for a more intimate get-together), but lets move the official 'Pimp-the-3rd-Years-and-party-with-my-new-classmates' Session to next Saturday Aug 5th.
-Dr. Ram-Rod (true identity still concealed)

Question for the ladies... what the crap are you wearing for the whitecoating? I have no business casual attire as every job I've had has required scrubs, a lifeguarding suit, or an ambulance uniform.

I could be interested in meeting up with some 2008 kids. I will be moving in around Aug 1 and should be able to round up some of my wide-eyed classmates. Want to shoot for any specific day?

Dr. Ram-Rod said:
I just wanted to make a quick note for you guys about internet connection...

DSL through SBC/AT&T is cheaper as far as internet service goes, however......

BIG HOWEVER

If you go with SBC DSL you MUST have phone service... right now I"m stuck with a home phone that I don't need and bay 35-40 after taxes for it (this is the cheapest they offer-- no unlimited long distance). I get my internet for only $16 bucks + tax. Essentially I'm paying about $60 for the internet since my home phone only rings once a day (usually somebody looking for blood or $$ donations). If you have a cell phone, I'd just get the cable internet--

Even if you do want a land-based phone and are getting cable as well, check out the 'all-in-one' package through Time/Warner--- I'm pretty sure it runs a few bucks cheaper than anything SBC/ATT can give you plus you get the faster internet connection AND unlimited calling

And on top of that SBC/AT&T sucks major ass. I haven't had any problems lately, but from December-May I spent at least 30mins per month on phone because they either royally screwed up my bill (credited the wrong account, added a minor long distance service I didn't want) or screwed up my internet (I had a whole e-mail account deleted that had a ton of school work on it for no reason whatsoever!).

Basically, I'd really suggest getting cable connection if you don't need a land line telephone.

BTW, open invite to anybody coming into KC before orientation week-- I'm staying in KC for a while before I ship off for rotations-- if any of you guys want to get together and have a beer (or serveral) and pick some class of 2008 brains about school/what to expect-- I'll rally up a few of my classmates for an outing.

MacSteve-o said:
I could be interested in meeting up with some 2008 kids. I will be moving in around Aug 1 and should be able to round up some of my wide-eyed classmates. Want to shoot for any specific day?

Yeah, lets just do things August 5th.

Anyone know any particulars about the refresher course classes that are starting monday? Do we just show up at 8? Is it even worth going to??? I sent in my initial paper saying I wanted to attend but haven't heard anything since......Thanks for the feedback!

Khia18 said:
Question for the ladies... what the crap are you wearing for the whitecoating? I have no business casual attire as every job I've had has required scrubs, a lifeguarding suit, or an ambulance uniform.

I'm not sure where you heard "buisiness casual" because I heard we were supposed to wear black ... a la the little black dress style. Did you get a KCUMB calendar in the mail in like March or April??? If so, look at the August picture and all the women are wearing a black dress, lenght from knee to tea length. If you want to go shopping I'm from the area and I would love to go with you- personal message me if you want to shop.

So I was given really bad news about my new puppy. I guess she is completely deaf. We are doing some tests to see if she has any hearing. My friend who trains dogs has told me that I should consider putting her in rescue since she is a great dane. I'm so depressed about it. I'm waiting to see if there's any chance I can keep her. :(

Khia18 said:
Not one of the ladies, but I'll respond anyway. I still have the letter with the details for white coat and it says, "Proper dress is dark pants or dark dress and black dress shoes (no sandals)."

I hope that helps, for us guys it's just black pants with a white shirt and tie.

ambernikel said:
So I was given really bad news about my new puppy. I guess she is completely deaf. We are doing some tests to see if she has any hearing. My friend who trains dogs has told me that I should consider putting her in rescue since she is a great dane. I'm so depressed about it. I'm waiting to see if there's any chance I can keep her. :(

That's so sad!!! Hopefully, you can still keep her, but I guess you have to figure out what would be best for her. :(

med-i-cal said:
Not one of the ladies, but I'll respond anyway. I still have the letter with the details for white coat and it says, "Proper dress is dark pants or dark dress and black dress shoes (no sandals)."

I hope that helps, for us guys it's just black pants with a white shirt and tie.

I would also assume they want closed-toe shoes.

kansasdoc said:
Anyone know any particulars about the refresher course classes that are starting monday? Do we just show up at 8? Is it even worth going to??? I sent in my initial paper saying I wanted to attend but haven't heard anything since......Thanks for the feedback!

I revieved an revised schedule about a week ago. Other than that, I haven't received anything else including where we are to meet at 8 on Monday AM. I did hear from a couple of folks that it is well worth attending.

andichat said:
I'm not sure where you heard "buisiness casual" because I heard we were supposed to wear black ... a la the little black dress style. Did you get a KCUMB calendar in the mail in like March or April??? If so, look at the August picture and all the women are wearing a black dress, lenght from knee to tea length. If you want to go shopping I'm from the area and I would love to go with you- personal message me if you want to shop.

Where is this picture of which you speak?

Khia18 said:
Where is this picture of which you speak?

If you don't have this calendar, look at the pictures that are shown in succession on the home page for the school. It has a close-up of a female or 2 from the white coat ceremony.

HIANMI said:
If you don't have this calendar, look at the pictures that are shown in succession on the home page for the school. It has a close-up of a female or 2 from the white coat ceremony.

What calender? I'm not a complete dolt, I swear! I didn't get a calender though!

Khia18 said:
What calender? I'm not a complete dolt, I swear! I didn't get a calender though!

I guess they missed you. I think it got mailed out sometime after acceptances for most people (correct me if I'm wrong). I guess you are just going to have to watch the pictures go through their cycle on the website now. I plan to ask one of the females that is currently a second year student to see what they wore last year.

I saw a post about medical terminology being a big deal. This is true, but never frett... just run through

http://www.pathguy.com/MedVocab.htm

when you have free time. Eventually ERF will be running through this with you in class and having each student come up front...

Keith

Get the MAC powerbook with core DUO processor..

nrddct said:

Official word I heard was that females should wear black pants or skirt with black closed-toe shoes. Any color of shirt was worn (females, males wore white if I remember correctly).

Fellow KCUMBers,

I just got a call from Teresa and I'm in off the Waitlist. Awesome, I have to be there on Monday from Utah. It would have been nice to know a week ago because I spent $1000 reapplying. Oh well. My question is, does anyone know of any 2 bedroom apartments, fairly close to campus and in a seminice area? I have a wife and an 8-month-old, so I want to go cheap but still in a somewhat nice area. I will be leaving for KC probably on Sunday morning. They told me I need to be there on Monday and then I can spend the rest of the time until the 14th getting my family there.

Thanks

ironmaidenrules said:
Fellow KCUMBers,

I just got a call from Teresa and I'm in off the Waitlist. Awesome, I have to be there on Monday from Utah. It would have been nice to know a week ago because I spent $1000 reapplying. Oh well. My question is, does anyone know of any 2 bedroom apartments, fairly close to campus and in a seminice area? I have a wife and an 8-month-old, so I want to go cheap but still in a somewhat nice area. I will be leaving for KC probably on Sunday morning. They told me I need to be there on Monday and then I can spend the rest of the time until the 14th getting my family there.

Thanks

Congrats man!
I'd check out Walnut Creek (I lived there), they give KCUMB students some pretty good deals-- Christina that works there is great... my buddy was paying about $675 or so for a 2 bedroom-- its a fairly nice place and a lot of students live there so you can have study groups (and drinking groups) to the pool/clubhouse area. The place is only about 7 minutes from campus (as long as you're not driving in rush hour.
Other than that, there is Camden Passage & Kelly Crossing... these are north of the school and are more 'suburbia' type areas. BTW, the further North you go (the closer to Barry Road), the nicer the area you'll be in. If you don't mind a 15 minute ride, I'd recommend Kelly Crossing, but I think that'll run ya about $900/mo