Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where did everyone see that the game was moved? My family was planning on coming down Thursday for that so I definitely need to let them know if they no longer need to. Thanks!

Where did everyone see that the game was moved? My family was planning on coming down Thursday for that so I definitely need to let them know if they no longer need to. Thanks!

It came with my Big Sibling assignment. Here's what it said:

"Additionally, please be aware of a change in the orientation schedule. The Welcome to Kansas City event (originally scheduled for Thursday, July 27) will now take place the evening of Friday, August 4 at Kauffman Stadium. Join COB, PsyD, and second-year COM students, as well as faculty and staff, for a pre-game dinner at 5:30 p.m. Then watch the Kansas City Royals take on the Seattle Mariners. Look for additional details in the coming weeks."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Withdrew my seat at KC. Good luck to those still on the waitlist!

A girl is selling me her med kit but her steth is a cardiology III. The supply list says we need a cardiology IV. Is this gunna be an issue? Will the III work?

Been reading some rather meh reviews on the briar cliff city apartments and it's making me rethink my choice to live there. Anyone have any thoughts on the place or any suggestions on other places to look at??

A girl is selling me her med kit but her steth is a cardiology III. The supply list says we need a cardiology IV. Is this gunna be an issue? Will the III work?

You can get the card -2 if you want and it wouldn't make a difference. Jk

Yes, the card III is fine.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Been reading some rather meh reviews on the briar cliff city apartments and it's making me rethink my choice to live there. Anyone have any thoughts on the place or any suggestions on other places to look at??

I've only ever hear good things about the Briarcliff area and the apartments as well. My question is how are you (as well as a bunch of other people in our class) affording these $1,200+/month apartments? Are you living there with a sig other? Just curious because I'm honestly shocked that so many people are choosing like these high end places. Maybe it's totally just me over here being cheap lol idk

I've only ever hear good things about the Briarcliff area and the apartments as well. My question is how are you (as well as a bunch of other people in our class) affording these $1,200+/month apartments? Are you living there with a sig other? Just curious because I'm honestly shocked that so many people are choosing like these high end places. Maybe it's totally just me over here being cheap lol idk

They could be coming from somewhere like California where the "cheap" apartments are $1200. My wife and I are in a place right now that is around the price you said. Coming from California we thought this was a great deal when we were looking online, but now after being here for two years, we realize that there are apartments that are really nice for around 800-900 as well.

Fair point!!! My friend who lives down in the river market and pays like 1,400 for a 1 bed was the same way, came from CA.
They could be coming from somewhere like California where the "cheap" apartments are $1200. My wife and I are in a place right now that is around the price you said. Coming from California we thought this was a great deal when we were looking online, but now after being here for two years, we realize that there are apartments that are really nice for around 800-900 as well.

If it wasn't for the HPSP I wouldn't be

I personally would go for The Hills over Briarcliff... they look just as nice and you can get a 2 bed for less than the price of a 1 bed at briarcliff

I mean I'm just gonna be budgeting a significant chunk of that loan money towards rent, I'm not a big eater or drinker so i figure the accepting of the grad plus loan would make it so i could make things work. Yes the more financially savvy move would have been to find a more affordable rent option than The landing at briarcliff but a lotta other properties I looked at essentially worked out to what I will be paying when taking account of electric/water/gas etc. I also didn't wanna go super cheap and feel like I'm living in a slightly better version of my UG dorms and I wanted some stuff to make my life easier (in unit washer/dryer, google fiber, etc.) so i thought this would be a better option than century towers or other comparable properties. Plus the landing at briarcliff has a pretty good gym and with that and the school's gym I figure i'll be able to save around 40 dollars on a gym membership with that stuff included as well. IDK if you look at the school's suggested budget is they allocate 1500 dollars a month towards rent so that was my upper limit, Ideally I wanted to stay around a thousand but I couldn't find a unit that I liked in that price range so that's kinda how my decision making process worked out.

I'm trying to decide if I should fork over the extra $70 to get the otoscope and ophthalmoscope with the LED bulb, is it worth it?

I figure I'll be fine with just the standard bulb, but I'm concerned that it like burns out easily or isn't as effective.

Any advice?

I'm trying to decide if I should fork over the extra $70 to get the otoscope and ophthalmoscope with the LED bulb, is it worth it?

I figure I'll be fine with just the standard bulb, but I'm concerned that it like burns out easily or isn't as effective.

Any advice?

Absolutely not worth it. The only equiptment I would actually spend a little extra on would be the steth (because you are going to use it in your practice), but you DON'T need any type of special bulbs, etc.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a little work on your social skills.

Lol no I'm a damn friendly person. It was just a very awkward email. Sounds like you need to learn not to make assumptions.

Lol no I'm a damn friendly person. It was just a very awkward email. Sounds like you need to learn not to make assumptions.

Just saying there's no need for ripping on the program and a person for reaching out and trying to help you. Not a good attitude to have going in ha

Relax. I wasn't ripping on the program. I replied respectfully and cordial in my response to my big. Simply stated that I thought it was awkward, just as others offer their opinions about different aspects of KCU/KC in general.

Although it may be awkward at first, the program is extremely helpful. When you are knee deep in material and are trying to figure out the best way to study and which resources to use, it is nice to have someone who you can go to to ask for help. Although I didn't use my "big" specifically, I did ask for help on many occasions to the 2nd year students (and I still do ask them even though they are on rotations).

As a second year this year, I was as helpful as I could be to my "little" because I knew how much easier it would make life for them (and they are at the top of their class now). They told me that the advice that was given to them by me and some of my friends was what really helped them to rise above the rest of the class because they already knew what resources to use going in.

So, as I know it can be awkward at first, it is a really good idea to use this opportunity to get some advice on how to approach classes/professors/exams with an insider view.

Reactions: 3 users
Although it may be awkward at first, the program is extremely helpful. When you are knee deep in material and are trying to figure out the best way to study and which resources to use, it is nice to have someone who you can go to to ask for help. Although I didn't use my "big" specifically, I did ask for help on many occasions to the 2nd year students (and I still do ask them even though they are on rotations).

As a second year this year, I was as helpful as I could be to my "little" because I knew how much easier it would make life for them (and they are at the top of their class now). They told me that the advice that was given to them by me and some of my friends was what really helped them to rise above the rest of the class because they already knew what resources to use going in.

So, as I know it can be awkward at first, it is a really good idea to use this opportunity to get some advice on how to approach classes/professors/exams with an insider view.

Is it completely up to use to reach out, or are are there scheduled times we will interact with our big?

Is it completely up to use to reach out, or are are there scheduled times we will interact with our big?

The school will put on an "ice cream social" before school starts where everyone comes to school and meets their "big." They should also reach out to your before that though just to touch base with you IMO.

For those of you that used PDF books do you find them hard to use. I know I can save a lot of money using the ones that were put on the FB page, but I'm concerned about not being able to take notes on them and having to scroll back and forth at times. Are their any apps for a Macbook Pro that you guys have found useful for PDF books. Lastly, are there any must have hard copy books that you guys would recommend.

For those of you that used PDF books do you find them hard to use. I know I can save a lot of money using the ones that were put on the FB page, but I'm concerned about not being able to take notes on them and having to scroll back and forth at times. Are their any apps for a Macbook Pro that you guys have found useful for PDF books. Lastly, are there any must have hard copy books that you guys would recommend.

I would use as many .pdf books as possible. You won't really be using many books. For hard copies, I would get the biochem book, Robbins, First Aid, and an atlas.

So my workplace has a box of Netter's anatomy flash cards and given that I'm going to be going to medical school soon and have never taken anatomy before I figured I'd take a quick look at the flash cards and I just have one quick question:

Is anatomy like the f***ing hardest s*** ever? There are easily like 400 cards in this set and each has between 15-25 things listed in the diagram between muscles, bones, nerves, blood vessels etc...

How many thousands of hours each night do I need to dedicate in order to memorize all of this stuff, which I assume is mandatory since it makes sense that a doctor would know all the little parts of the body.

Do students in medical school struggle with anatomy often? I can't even remember all this stuff on a neatly colorized flash card let alone in an actual human body

So my workplace has a box of Netter's anatomy flash cards and given that I'm going to be going to medical school soon and have never taken anatomy before I figured I'd take a quick look at the flash cards and I just have one quick question:

Is anatomy like the f***ing hardest s*** ever? There are easily like 400 cards in this set and each has between 15-25 things listed in the diagram between muscles, bones, nerves, blood vessels etc...

How many thousands of hours each night do I need to dedicate in order to memorize all of this stuff, which I assume is mandatory since it makes sense that a doctor would know all the little parts of the body.

Do students in medical school struggle with anatomy often? I can't even remember all this stuff on a neatly colorized flash card let alone in an actual human body

It seems like a lot, but having just taken a gross anatomy course/dissection I can tell you it's 100% manageable. The combo of lecture, seeing and trying to find structures in lab, and studying on your own will burn the structures into you!

We took the difficult path my friend - medicine. Now, to help you with the anatomy concept. Many medical students believe that in order to be an excellent doctor you have to know every single part of the human body. Yes, it is important and will be useful when referring to something or explaining a medical situation to a fellow doctor. In reality memorization, my friend, is just 20% of becoming a good and successful doctor. What makes up the other 80% depends entirely upon you. Know how the systems work and assist each other instead of memorizing their names. Take different paths than those which your peers take- explore, look around yourself, find all those medical concepts around you. Just stop what you're doing right now and look at the palm of your hand. Now your wrist. Now bend it. Now move your leg. Make medicine exciting for yourself instead of thinking of it as pure memorization! There is so much more to it!

Everybody struggles with anatomy, but the key here is understanding and not memorization! Don't stress about it, you will become a great doctor. I have faith in you. This is just the beginning of your career. It's the interesting part where you learn new concepts - concepts which may one day help you save a person's life! And you will be a hero and think - every single moment of that anatomy study was worth it. When you become professional and experienced, it will feel like a breeze. Imagine it like this: you are at a red light. When it turns green, your car accelerates but slowly. You just wish it was faster. But when you reach speeds of 90/ 100, you don't have to keep holding the gas pedal anymore - you breeze past with amazing lightness.

Don't let those small anatomy concepts stop you in pursuing your dream. Dedicate your life to medicine - and it will repay you ever-greatly.

Reactions: 4 users

Thought the same. Never took anatomy before Med school but did great in it. The school teaches you well.

We took the difficult path my friend - medicine. Now, to help you with the anatomy concept. Many medical students believe that in order to be an excellent doctor you have to know every single part of the human body. Yes, it is important and will be useful when referring to something or explaining a medical situation to a fellow doctor. In reality memorization, my friend, is just 20% of becoming a good and successful doctor. What makes up the other 80% depends entirely upon you. Know how the systems work and assist each other instead of memorizing their names. Take different paths than those which your peers take- explore, look around yourself, find all those medical concepts around you. Just stop what you're doing right now and look at the palm of your hand. Now your wrist. Now bend it. Now move your leg. Make medicine exciting for yourself instead of thinking of it as pure memorization! There is so much more to it!

Everybody struggles with anatomy, but the key here is understanding and not memorization! Don't stress about it, you will become a great doctor. I have faith in you. This is just the beginning of your career. It's the interesting part where you learn new concepts - concepts which may one day help you save a person's life! And you will be a hero and think - every single moment of that anatomy study was worth it. When you become professional and experienced, it will feel like a breeze. Imagine it like this: you are at a red light. When it turns green, your car accelerates but slowly. You just wish it was faster. But when you reach speeds of 90/ 100, you don't have to keep holding the gas pedal anymore - you breeze past with amazing lightness.

Don't let those small anatomy concepts stop you in pursuing your dream. Dedicate your life to medicine - and it will repay you ever-greatly.
Wow, this was amazing. Please be my big brother/sister

I know there's plenty of threads out there on this topic but I thought I'd ask specifically on here: what is the consensus on visible tattoos? I have one and it isn't covered by scrubs. I'm also considering getting a second visible one since part of me feels like its already too late lol. Do professors and/or faculty look down on this?

I know there's plenty of threads out there on this topic but I thought I'd ask specifically on here: what is the consensus on visible tattoos? I have one and it isn't covered by scrubs. I'm also considering getting a second visible one since part of me feels like its already too late lol. Do professors and/or faculty look down on this?

There is faculty that have tattoos. Shouldn't be an issue at all with the one you have but would be careful getting another one tbh.

You should see the tattoo AlteredScale has on his lower back...

Reactions: 2 users
Is it worth buying the bag the school offers with the medical kit? Like is it a specialized bad designed specifically to carry all the things in the medical kit or is it just a regular old bag that could be bought anywhere?