Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Recently declined a waitlist offer for those still waiting. Can't say how much movement, but there's at least a little bit. Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
We really use the biochem textbook that much? I thought biochem is just the first block for the first three weeks.

Once we get into the organ system blocks, how much biochem is there?

That's three weeks of 3-4 lectures per day of biochem which is a *%#* ton of information (it seems like atleast)

We really use the biochem textbook that much? I thought biochem is just the first block for the first three weeks.

It is. I don't think you understand how much they can or will cram in three weeks. You won't read all of that book but you certainly will cover a ton of ground with it.

Not much biochem after that. A few lectures here and there for each block.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't purchased any of the med kit supplies or books yet, am I falling behind?
I'm just waiting to actually move to KCMO first.

Also, does anyone know when loans come in? I need to figure out how much I need to save to able to live off of until loans get disbursed.

Hi everyone,
Was just accepted off the waitlist at Joplin today! Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Joplin campus and was wondering if students or ambassadors can comment on how well they think Joplin's curriculum will match the quality of KC's campus? And I've heard people say the rotations in Joplin could potentially be better, could someone explain why that is? Sorry if these have been answered already, this is the longest discussion thread I've seen for any school and didn't want to sift through all the pages!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
Was just accepted off the waitlist at Joplin today! Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Joplin campus and was wondering if students or ambassadors can comment on how well they think Joplin's curriculum will match the quality of KC's campus? And I've heard people say the rotations in Joplin could potentially be better, could someone explain why that is? Sorry if these have been answered already, this is the longest discussion thread I've seen for any school and didn't want to sift through all the pages!

The curriculum will match the KC curriculum exactly so I would say the quality will be there. They've hired some very strong faculty from other MD schools (surprisingly UIowa CarverSOM more often than not).

Imo the rotations are strong in Joplin because you are at hospital with a lot of residencies and have been teaching hospitals for a while. They are also quite large so you can see some pretty neat pathology there.

Hi everyone,
The ChosenGuan,
Do you mind sharing your stats? Just wanted to see how they are pulling students off the waitlist. Thanks!

LOL. Three weeks is one of the "longer" courses. You will be amazed (and overwhelmed) by the amount of material they are going to throw at you the first week. Although it is a ton of material, you will eventually learn how to adjust your study habits so that you can be more efficient with your time.

To answer your question more specifically, yes you need the book for those three weeks. For some reason, biochem you are gonna wanna write in the book and a .pdf is going to be a hassle (IMO). Plus, the book is only like $30. I know it is a long time down the road, but once you guys start studying for boards, the biochem book will come in handy. I really wish I would have kept mine as we are studying for boards and a solid biochem text would be nice.

is there anywhere we can see updated pics of what the joplin campus looks like these days? i missed accepted students day :( and the ones on the website looks more like concept art haha

Members don't see this ad :)
is there anywhere we can see updated pics of what the joplin campus looks like these days? i missed accepted students day :( and the ones on the website looks more like concept art haha

Look up the kcumb Facebook page! They had pictures of the campus up online.

How many days do we get off for Christmas and Thanksgiving break? Sorry if this is a repeat question.

It is. I don't think you understand how much they can or will cram in three weeks. You won't read all of that book but you certainly will cover a ton of ground with it.

Not much biochem after that. A few lectures here and there for each block.

Could you kind of give me an idea of just how much they cram in the 3 weeks? I figure its a lot but I'm just trying to comprehend how much. If I recall correctly, there's a midterm one week into the semester, just how much would we have covered in that time?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the workload i should expect. The biochem textbook is ~450 pages, so how much of that do we actually go through in the three weeks? Are we going to have like 50 pages of reading a night?

I guess what I'm asking is, "how would you best convey the amount of material and studying in the first block to someone who hasn't started school yet and doesn't know what theyre in for exactly?

Could you kind of give me an idea of just how much they cram in the 3 weeks? I figure its a lot but I'm just trying to comprehend how much. If I recall correctly, there's a midterm one week into the semester, just how much would we have covered in that time?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the workload i should expect. The biochem textbook is ~450 pages, so how much of that do we actually go through in the three weeks? Are we going to have like 50 pages of reading a night?

I guess what I'm asking is, "how would you best convey the amount of material and studying in the first block to someone who hasn't started school yet and doesn't know what theyre in for exactly?

That first exam will almost be like covering your biochemistry course in undergrad. It's a tremendous amount of material. The best way I can provide for you is like doing a semesters class work in each block which varies from 2-5 weeks. Add on top of that "semester long" courses like OS clinical Med and bioethics and that stagger their tests around the main course and what you have is a hurricane of information coming at you nonstop. It really is "drinking water from a firehouse".

Pages wise it's hard to say because the assigned reading jumped day to day. One hour of lecture could have 10-20 pages of that biochem book assigned and you'll have 3-5 hours of lectures a day.

That first exam will almost be like covering your biochemistry course in undergrad. It's a tremendous amount of material. The best way I can provide for you is like doing a semesters class work in each block which varies from 2-5 weeks. Add on top of that "semester long" courses like OS clinical Med and bioethics and that stagger their tests around the main course and what you have is a hurricane of information coming at you nonstop. It really is "drinking water from a firehouse".

Pages wise it's hard to say because the assigned reading jumped day to day. One hour of lecture could have 10-20 pages of that biochem book assigned and you'll have 3-5 hours of lectures a day.

If I was assigned that load of work during undergrad it would suck, idk how I'd handle it. In spite of that it seems like most med students handle this type of work load regularly. What changes that makes people accustomed to this insane amount of work.

Do people ever seriously struggle with it or do most people figure it out eventually?

Cheesus Crust. How am I going to have time to dj0nt??

If you have a decent background in biochemistry you may not need to read the text. I used it more for reference and the clinical boxes and made a good grade. The main issue is the course is taught really poorly.

But yeah every course is like taking your hardest undergrad course and making it into 2-3 weeks. Overwhelming at first but you will adjust. I think as time went on, we learned to not freak out and to do simple things like take Friday nights off even on exam weekends for Mondays.

The first couple of blocks everyone will be balls to the wall cause we're all used to making good grades. From then on, things will stratify and everyone will study according to their personal expectations.

If I was assigned that load of work during undergrad it would suck, idk how I'd handle it. In spite of that it seems like most med students handle this type of work load regularly. What changes that makes people accustomed to this insane amount of work.

Do people ever seriously struggle with it or do most people figure it out eventually?

You will struggle in the first block or two trying to adjust. Class Ave on our biochem tests were right around 73. Just when you think you have it figured out, afternoon labs 3-4 days a week start. Then you will figure that out too. I was convinced I was going to fail out after the first 2 weeks, but I made it through. And you will too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Would it be at all worth it to review biochem before school starts? Took that class like two years ago

Cheesus Crust. How am I going to have time to dj0nt??
Oh we will dj3nt no matter what. 0-0-0-1-0000-1-00-1-12-00-1-000
Would it be at all worth it to review biochem before school starts? Took that class like two years ago

I guess you could but you're just eating up the last bits of your freedom and it wouldn't really impact your grade that much. You'll be fine not studying. Enjoy your summer.

For biochem and just about all courses, you rarely have an exam on more than 20 lectures. If you think about it in that way it seems a lot more manageable than to think of it as covering a whole class in three weeks. The big difference between medical school and undergrad is that instead of 20 lectures being spread out over two months, those 20 lectures take place in 2 weeks. If you stay on top of things, it is easy enough to study/review 20 lectures in a weekend.

I'm some kind of weird combination of excited and anxious.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I'm really excited to start medical school and basically achieve all the goals and dreams I've had for myself and start my career, then I think about it a little further and remember that I hate school and I'm basically looking forward to trading in all the freedoms I currently have for school on steroids.

The other thing I'm really looking forward to is just being surrounded by all my intelligent peers who are suffering through all the ups and downs medical school alongside with me. I think the commraderie of med school will be one of the best parts

Reactions: 2 users
How often would you guys say you have gaps in between labs and lectures during your days?

I know the school said that between the hours of 8am and 5pm we can expect to be in some sort of class, but I'm imaging that there are a few gaps in between that time is this correct?

The reason I ask is because I'm hoping that during the work week there are at least two days that have a ~2 hour gap between labs and lectures so I can hit the gym.

Is this feasible?

How often would you guys say you have gaps in between labs and lectures during your days?

I know the school said that between the hours of 8am and 5pm we can expect to be in some sort of class, but I'm imaging that there are a few gaps in between that time is this correct?

The reason I ask is because I'm hoping that during the work week there are at least two days that have a ~2 hour gap between labs and lectures so I can hit the gym.

Is this feasible?

Definitely won't be a problem! You will always have 12-1 off for lunch, and very rarely will you have class and lab 8-5. I think there was one miserable week during neuro where we had both OS and anatomy lab 4 days, and we may have had one or two weeks like that during MSK. I think we usually had Wednesday and Friday afternoons off entirely, and sometimes you'll just have anatomy or OS lab (so only two hours). You won't always start at 8 am either. It really depends on the block. MSK and neuro are both very lab heavy, but in cariopulm, GI, and repro you have all the anatomy labs in the first few weeks and take the practical in the first half of the block, so the last half you're just studying physio which is really nice (at least for the people like me who hate anatomy haha)

How important is having an anatomy atlas? Would just getting that essential anatomy app suffice or is it better to have the book?

Accepted off waitlist yesterday! I interviewed in Sept with 3.4/517. Good luck to everyone else! The call comes when you least expect it

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted off waitlist yesterday! I interviewed in Sept with 3.4/517. Good luck to everyone else! The call comes when you least expect it
That's great! Congrats. At this point I am really not expecting it at all. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

You will struggle in the first block or two trying to adjust. Class Ave on our biochem tests were right around 73. Just when you think you have it figured out, afternoon labs 3-4 days a week start. Then you will figure that out too. I was convinced I was going to fail out after the first 2 weeks, but I made it through. And you will too.

Haha it's kind of funny to think back to if someone told me during the early blocks...wait till you add in labs. But you definitely develop in layers. Each block brings its own challenges and unique structure so adaptability and a will to be flexible is key.

Just noticed they put up the official list of textbooks for incoming OSM1 kids:
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/kansas-city-university/Attachments/library/OMSI Fall Booklist 2017-18 060917.pdf
waaaayyy too many books lol :whoa:

wonder when they'll put up the official academic/block calendar
I spoke to someone in the admissions office recently and was told probably not until next month! Just ordered the Biochem, clinical anatomy, and physiology books. Hopefully the upperclassmen gave good advice on just getting those three for now!

I spoke to someone in the admissions office recently and was told probably not until next month! Just ordered the Biochem, clinical anatomy, and physiology books. Hopefully the upperclassmen gave good advice on just getting those three for now!

We give awful advice

We give awful advice

Could be a little freshman hazing for all we know! On a serious note, if those three and Robbins are the only books we need y'alls advice will have been priceless.

Could be a little freshman hazing for all we know! On a serious note, if those three and Robbins are the only books we need y'alls advice will have been priceless.

Don't forget First Aid. It's a must.

Don't forget First Aid. It's a must.

If I understand correctly, First Aid is a study guide for the USMLE, right?

Why should I get it as an M1 if I won't be writing the USMLE for like another 20+ months and how should I use it to study during my first year?

If I understand correctly, First Aid is a study guide for the USMLE, right?

Why should I get it as an M1 if I won't be writing the USMLE for like another 20+ months and how should I use it to study during my first year?
so basically it does a good job of summarizing the tested material. throws in useful mnemonics and pictures/tables. Usually look at it the day before an exam and it's gold.

so basically it does a good job of summarizing the tested material. throws in useful mnemonics and pictures/tables. Usually look at it the day before an exam and it's gold.

That's what I figured, what I'd like to know is whether or not it's easy to use during first year since I imagine that each First Aid section has a lot of pathology included in it since it's meant for board studying but we don't do any pathology in year 1.

Like if I have an exam at the end of the cardiology block and I'm reading the cardiology sections of First Aid, is it tough to parse through everything so that I only focus on the physiology stuff in First Aid and ignore the path?

That's what I figured, what I'd like to know is whether or not it's easy to use during first year since I imagine that each First Aid section has a lot of pathology included in it since it's meant for board studying but we don't do any pathology in year 1.

Like if I have an exam at the end of the cardiology block and I'm reading the cardiology sections of First Aid, is it tough to parse through everything so that I only focus on the physiology stuff in First Aid and ignore the path?

If you're on the fb page I'd go skim through one of the old pdfs of first aid that current students gave us. Should give you an idea of how the book is setup.

yeah each section is split up. so if you go to cardiology in FA it will have an anatomy, physiology, pathology section. So review the first two sections only during 1st year! Again, it's not mandatory or needed by any means, but certainly a nice summary/memory cue source.

If you're on the fb page I'd go skim through one of the old pdfs of first aid that current students gave us. Should give you an idea of how the book is setup.
yeah each section is split up. so if you go to cardiology in FA it will have an anatomy, physiology, pathology section. So review the first two sections only during 1st year! Again, it's not mandatory or needed by any means, but certainly a nice summary/memory cue source.

Oh awesome, that's definitely perfect. I will for sure use FA as part of my studying

Decided against doing the HPSP and just accepted loans...holy crap is 270k+ scary
Ya it's a lotta debt, and i'm kinda concerned about it as well but i also feel like just wanting to walk away debt free probably isn't the best reason to join the military (not saying this was your motive or anything just ones of the reasons I ultimately decided against the military). Yes it's nice to walk away from school debt free but ultimately you owe the military some time and will be compensated less than your colleagues while you are serving your time. I feel like you should only pursue HPSP if you truly want to be in the military, and when I sat down to think about it I decided that I wouldn't enjoy being in the military so I nixed the idea for myself.

Reactions: 3 users