jefferson university pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We are looking for a house now--- we will probably buy this summer and move in July or August. Although the Philly market for affordable housing (renting and buying) is in a lull now, it will most definitely pick up in the summer with the influx of new students to TJU, Drexel, PCOP, etc etc. Always better to be a little prepared.

As far as parking goes, you can get a permit for street parking for $35 a year. Granted, it means that you have to try your luck for street parking, but the savings are definitely impressive, as opposed to renting a garaged space.

I, too, am very familiar with the Philadelphia area, so if anybody needs the low down, let me know ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I can't unload my condo right now in this market =( So I'm renting it out when I leave and just renting while in Philly, otherwise I'd buy in also.

anyone interviwing on Feb.25th?

And for those who were accepted..how did the interview experience at TJU went and what are your stats? any specific questions on your pharmacy experience?

thanks all!

Members don't see this ad :)
see signature for stats. Interview was very chill, two of them which were almost identical (one w/ admission's person, one with pharm. faculty). Just brush up on the usual "why pharmacy?/why jefferson?" and the future of pharmacy to come.

Just relax and be yourself. The staff there are very professional and very approachable. G'luck to everyone with an upcoming interview.

thanks guys for the info...i ve been so bummed out on being waitlisted already (Mercer and Midwestern CPG), I thought the interviews went well but its always that unknown factor

I thought that one of the interviews was a lot of fun, and the other was a lot tougher. My first was with the Dean, and she was really approachable-- we talked some about my application, but then we also talked about Philadelphia and other topics. The other interview with one of the faculty was more of a typical interview-- tons of questions and quick responses. She wrote down everything I said, which made me a little nervous, so I tried out out-talk her writing. Didn't work. :)

I would recommend you be ready to talk about a) if you like to read and b) what were the last few books you read and why you liked them. I was asked that in both interviews.

And what exactly are people looking for when they ask for "stats?"

OMG. I had the same experience as you, pharmakarma.

I had a lot of fun talking with the dean but then the interview with karen was very straight question / answer type. and she wrote down EVERYTHING!!!

definitely review your essays and your ECs - its an open file interview so they will ask about those ECs!

OMG. I had the same experience as you, pharmakarma.

I had a lot of fun talking with the dean but then the interview with karen was very straight question / answer type. and she wrote down EVERYTHING!!!

definitely review your essays and your ECs - its an open file interview so they will ask about those ECs!

LOL-- when did you interview? Karen was very nice, but cut straight to business. No nonsense kinda lady :)

I interviewed on the 19th. I had fun talking to Ms. Umland - I had her first and figured oh this interview isn't so bad... until I got into the room with karen and geez... she made me so so nervous! it was funny that once i got started talking about something... thought of more things to say - so i talked faster... she was scribbling like crazy. then at the end out of NOWHERE, what was the last book you read? i was like wait a min huh? it was a funny experience.

Anyone applying for on-campus housing? On the application, it asks for "desired occupancy date" I dunno if it's wise to put in an early date or not... say july... or should I put down August...

wouldn't it be better to put an early date? maybe they're on a "first come first serve" basis

Yeah... i'm sure they are... but I'd hate to have to pay that extra month of rent when I'm not going to be there... but I guess it's the sacrifice one has to make to guarantee housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, you guys are funny. Ms. Astle was nice to me, I wasn't too nervous in there. Maybe in comparison to Dr. Umland, it was a little more intimidating, but we talked about her being sick and the room being bare to break the ice.

Was anyone else not impressed by the on campus housing? I mean, in comparison to the little sardine cans at UCLA, they're huge....but I dunno =/ maybe I'm just spoiled, haha.

yeh. astle was just to the point. she complemented my shirt + tie combination as soon as i walked it. score.

anyways...confetti did you take the tour? they showed us the martin residence--those were such crap!

barringer and orlowitz are bigger...almost twice the size. they're more expensive but it's worth it

btw what kind of rooming are you guys planning to do? i will probably go with the 3 bedroom/3 people thing

anyways...confetti did you take the tour? they showed us the martin residence--those were such crap!
g

haha...woohoo for plumbing problems!

but no, i have have a lady friend woman person coming with me, so we'll probably get our own 1 bedroom apartment somewhere around town not too far from campus.

Anyone going to the interview on 02/29/08?
I was also wondering how much a house that is within the driving distance would cost near the school. I know someone mentioned a condo... what is the average cost of a condo near the campus?

btw what kind of rooming are you guys planning to do? i will probably go with the 3 bedroom/3 people thing

I'm done with the whole "rooming" thing. I've had bad experiences with room mates through my undergrad... so I'm gonna try to get a studio or a 1br apt to myself.

yeh. astle was just to the point. she complemented my shirt + tie combination as soon as i walked it. score.

barringer and orlowitz are bigger...almost twice the size. they're more expensive but it's worth it

im gonna do barringer.. but not sure if i should do 2, which is just enough but could get lonely :( or 3, which is good but could be too many :rolleyes:.. confusion.

So I have this question about prerequisites that someone here might help me answer.

On the website, Jefferson's requirements for ochem are:
Organic Chemistry I -- 4 sem. or 6 qtr. units
Organic Chemistry II -- 4 sem. or 6 qtr units

At my school....there is the organic chemistry series that lasts the whole year and runs 18 qtr units (Ochem 1 + lab, 6 qtr units; Ochem 2 + lab, 6 qtr units; Ochem 3 + lab, 6 qtr units).

Does this mean that the first two classes & lab in the series satisfy the admissions requirement? The coding sheet I received seems to indicate so, as under notes there is no deficiency tag.

I just thought it was strange as the other schools I've applied to require one full year of ochem + lab. Insight anyone?

I think you're fine. If anything you have more than enough? over on the east coast, we just don't do quarters so its confusing. At my university we have Ochem I & II and then a separate 2cr Ochem lab course.

So was martin really bad? I didn't get to see the dorms / buildings so i have no idea which to pick... i've had bad experiences with roommates so I definitely want a single room to myself - and martin is a lot cheaper than barringer and orlowitz.

for everyone that saw martin - did it remind you of the freshmen dorms?

Anyone going to the interview on 02/29/08?
I was also wondering how much a house that is within the driving distance would cost near the school. I know someone mentioned a condo... what is the average cost of a condo near the campus?

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for, and how long/far you want to drive. There's lots of stuff downtown if you want to stay within walking distance. I've seen things range from mid-200's to much much higher.

Do you have any more specs? Maybe I can help? I love real estate...

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for, and how long/far you want to drive. There's lots of stuff downtown if you want to stay within walking distance. I've seen things range from mid-200's to much much higher.

I think I'm going to try to rent something from an treading water condo owner who can't sell but wants to keep it. Rental prices in orange county have dropped for homes...I'm thinking the same is going on in Philly.

I did mortgages out here for a while...so yeah I like real estate too :thumbup:

K... so i am looking for a decent condo or home in the 200 to 300K range. if driving is required then prob less than 20 min in the traffic. something that was built after 1970... and possibly not in the ghetto where all the windows have barbed wires. i think i might be asking for too much...

I just received an acceptence letter from Karen.... I am so happy!!
Congratulations everybody!

I just received an acceptence letter from Karen.... I am so happy!!
Congratulations everybody!

Congratulation!! when was your interview? I just know to know the timeline.

just a reminder-- add yourselves to the facebook group named Jefferson School of Pharmacy 2012-- so that we can all get to know each other! we have 6 so far.. i guess it's progress haha

and happy valentines day :love:

i got a invite for interview!!!
im excited:D:D:D:D
anyways all of u,those who did not do it already, plz let me know how the interview was? what kinda qs asked was it a hard interview? oh and if u interviews at temple how does it compare with temples interview?
and did most ppl who got interviews got accepted....i REAALLLY need to get in this year....hehe

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if TJU is still interviewing in March??? It seems like a lot of people got acceptances already, but the deadline is still not until March 3rd? Thanks in advance! =)

Hey everyone,

If you don't follow the UH Hilo thread... I've decided to attend Jefferson University.

See you all on August 12 for orientation :)

I figured you would Chris! haha see you in August!

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if TJU is still interviewing in March??? It seems like a lot of people got acceptances already, but the deadline is still not until March 3rd? Thanks in advance! =)

well i got a interview invite and one of the dates they gave me is march 5th soo...yes they still are interviewing :)

K... so i am looking for a decent condo or home in the 200 to 300K range. if driving is required then prob less than 20 min in the traffic. something that was built after 1970... and possibly not in the ghetto where all the windows have barbed wires. i think i might be asking for too much...

So, I don't know how much space you are looking for, but would something like this work:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rfs/544975891.html

This is in the Washington West neighborhood, which is where the school is located. It's definitely walkable, but is also one of the most expensive areas in town. Although there are definitely affordable options available, you tend to sacrifice on space.

If you are interested in making a commute of it, the Art Museum area has bigger places in the same price range. It isn't too far, though, so public transportation would be easiest.

Northern Liberties (which is in North Philadelphia) is an up-and-coming neighborhood that is slowly being gentrified. You can find some great property up there at really reasonable rates, but you have to be cautious as it the neighborhood literally changes from street to street. Other young areas that are farther away are Queen Village and Graduate Hospital.

If you want to go to the 'burbs, then Manayunk is a great place to be. It's young and hip, but housing here is hit and miss, and the commute can be a pain. But I have a lot of friends who live there and wouldn't trade it.

The date you submitted pharmcas or the date you selected the school on Pharmcas?

hey THINK... to answer your question... it is an online supplemental application. Cut and paste your essay into the section for the essay. You will need your pharmcas number and the date you submitted your pharmcas. The information is on the website.

Goodluck!

Congratulations to those that were accepted!!

Strange... I interviewed in early January and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Has anyone interviewed that has not gotten a response or was rejected??

Strange... I interviewed in early January and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I had an interview yesterday. My interviewer told me the waiting time should be only 2-4 weeks. I think you should e-mail or call them. I hope this "no response" issue won't happen to me again for this school. After spending so much air ticket + hotel, I want to know something in the next few weeks. I already have this issue with other schools.

If you were accepted, you should have heard back by now. I don't think they are sending out hard rejects to anyone who got an interview. You are probably waitlisted on their end waiting for other applicants to interview.

Hi, anyone going to the reception on Saturday??

The date you submitted pharmcas or the date you selected the school on Pharmcas?

The date you esubmitted. If you have any questions you can call the admissions office; they are very nice.

Yes, I'm planning on going. See you there!

Hey if you guys get a tour of the clinical building, can you take pictures and post them here? I didn't get to go when I was there. I'm curious as to the set up of everything in there. Thanks!

does anyone know how many seats have been filled already??

does anyone know how many seats have been filled already??

In the e-mail I received on my Jefferson account, I counted 40 people in the "TO:" field for the accepted student event next week.

This is entirely speculation on my end, but I think there was a 2nd email....and assuming half have accepted the offers...I'd say just under half of the class is filled.

It'll be a challenge recruiting outside of the northeast because of the fact that this school is new. I expect a LOT of fluctuation/waitlist movement over the summer. If you applied and got interviewed and did fairly decently, you have a good chance of getting in.

Could anyone tell me any difficult questions or interesting questions during interview?
I have no idea about Jefferson interview, because there is no Jefferson thread in Interview feedback.

I am so nervous cause my interview is on this week.

Thank you.

i called the school today and ive been told that all the seats are filled... so now they're just interviewing and accepting applications for the wait list. this is certainly not good for me because i have an interview scheduled with them next week. :(