I've been a member since 2007 and came to give back as a Rph.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moolman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been a few years since I posted, so you know I'm not a troll or new account.

Some background: Went to pharmacy school about 10 years ago, did a residency, got into managed care.

I've read a few of the posts here and just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Don't go to pharmacy school unless you are smart and can hustle. I know everyone thinks they are like this, so be honest with yourself and figure it out. I'm in CA. Basically, if you can't get into UCSF, USC, UOP or UCSD. Find another career. Pharmacy has turned into another regular job, where the smart and lucky are fine but the rest are getting screwed. I saw the posts about rph being offered $45 a hour and wanted to confirm that I've seen it too. I've met students that graduated last year in 2019 and yes, there was the whole CPJE fiasco but they are still unemployed, a good number of them and the 2020 class just graduated. With the covid recession, it's the tipping point, like the real tipping point. I know many of you will say it came years before but personally, this is the first time I've seen last years grads, a good number of them, unemployed. Also, many of them are from the 4 schools, I spoke about so even going to a better school makes no difference.

As for myself, I'll get to the point and say that I'm good. I'm moved up fairly high, I get paid well above normal. But I'm the exception, not the rule. The biggest thing I can't get out of my head is.

I just don't see this getting better especially with the recession. My company put a hiring freeze on and things are going to get worse.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14 users
This would be a great resource in the pre-pharm forum, but then the student mod would have just moved it to the hidden job forum.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Don't go to pharmacy school unless you are smart and can hustle. I know everyone thinks they are like this, so be honest with yourself and figure it out. I'm in CA. Basically, if you can't get into UCSF, USC, UOP or UCSD
This is the problem with the mentality of current pharmacy students and pre-pharms - they will read this statement and think "oh I go to one of these schools so I'm good." Little do they know that quality/reputation of the pharmacy school you went to doesn't help in getting a job because pharmacy isn't a merit-based profession. So I wouldn't even go as far as to say "if you can get in a 'top' school and hustle then go for pharmacy..." I would say unequivocally that NOBODY should attend pharmacy school unless you are the child of Larry Merlo.

Unrelated - did you do a clinical residency or managed care residency? And what do you do in mc now?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Our small community hospital in north Los Angeles County had.....

93 applicants for a per diem spot

Of which, 5 have inpatient experience...
We are going on the 3rd month of -10% pay, plus there were a lot of layoffs, mainly nursing and management.

Another local hospital had a -20% pay for pharmacists, and forced flexing; however, their pay was restored to full.

Reactions: 1 user
We have been working full time, no forced flexing. Same hours, less pay, and we are also “at will.” Per CA State, we are ineligible to qs pay via a workman’s comp COVID fund. However, if your hours have been cut, then you may qualify.

This is the problem with the mentality of current pharmacy students and pre-pharms - they will read this statement and think "oh I go to one of these schools so I'm good." Little do they know that quality/reputation of the pharmacy school you went to doesn't help in getting a job because pharmacy isn't a merit-based profession. So I wouldn't even go as far as to say "if you can get in a 'top' school and hustle then go for pharmacy..." I would say unequivocally that NOBODY should attend pharmacy school unless you are the child of Larry Merlo.

Unrelated - did you do a clinical residency or managed care residency? And what do you do in mc now?
Better schools help with networking, which helps with getting another job (or the tip off to your first job) sometimes. It can matter. But it isn’t all that matters. I definitely don’t regret going to a school with a good reputation.

If you HAVE to go to pharmacy school, choose a school with a good reputation. But it may not be a good idea to go to pharmacy school today, period.

Better schools help with networking, which helps with getting another job (or the tip off to your first job) sometimes. It can matter. But it isn’t all that matters. I definitely don’t regret going to a school with a good reputation.

If you HAVE to go to pharmacy school, choose a school with a good reputation. But it may not be a good idea to go to pharmacy school today, period.
Better schools don't help with networking, established schools do. The quality of UOP grads, for example, is nowhere near top caliber (middle-bottom of the pack at BEST) so it has no business being in the same sentence as "UCSF/USC/UCSD" and "top schools." But they have been around for as long as anyone's grandpa so the market is saturated with pharmacists who went to UOP, who will look more favorably on hiring their own grads vs. someone from UCSF/USC/UCSD. It's called brand loyalty. And it's not based on merit at all. So if you HAVE to go to pharmacy school, choose the school that has the most # of grads in the workforce because merit means nothing in pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 users
Better schools don't help with networking, established schools do. The quality of UOP grads, for example, is nowhere near top caliber (middle-bottom of the pack at BEST) so it has no business being in the same sentence as "UCSF/USC/UCSD" and "top schools." But they have been around for as long as anyone's grandpa so the market is saturated with pharmacists who went to UOP, who will look more favorably on hiring their own grads vs. someone from UCSF/USC/UCSD. It's called brand loyalty. And it's not based on merit at all. So if you HAVE to go to pharmacy school, choose the school that has the most # of grads in the workforce because merit means nothing in pharmacy.
I suppose that’s true. My school was both better and well established. As an outsider to the area, I wouldn’t consider UOP to be a good school, personally, and wouldn’t be impressed that somebody had attended there. The networking wouldn’t help outside your immediate geographical area if you attended that school, either.

Isn't California starting another new school? With the great California exodus, it is a bad time to be a pharmacist in California right now.

I'm ready to leave the profession if I get fired or pay cut to 35/hr (in 2023 - it's coming it's the true salary inflation adjusted for pharmacists). I can be doing anything else but pharmacy, and I'll make more than 35/hr. Lucky to save close to 15x my gross salary, I'm switching profession when it boots me out.

I'm ready to leave the profession if I get fired or pay cut to 35/hr (in 2023 - it's coming it's the true salary inflation adjusted for pharmacists). I can be doing anything else but pharmacy, and I'll make more than 35/hr. Lucky to save close to 15x my gross salary, I'm switching profession when it boots me out.

What other profession can we do that pays $35/hr?

What other profession can we do that pays $35/hr?
Anything but pharmacy at this point. Heck, even nurses get paid more than rphs here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's been a few years since I posted, so you know I'm not a troll or new account.

Some background: Went to pharmacy school about 10 years ago, did a residency, got into managed care.

I've read a few of the posts here and just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Don't go to pharmacy school unless you are smart and can hustle. I know everyone thinks they are like this, so be honest with yourself and figure it out. I'm in CA. Basically, if you can't get into UCSF, USC, UOP or UCSD. Find another career. Pharmacy has turned into another regular job, where the smart and lucky are fine but the rest are getting screwed. I saw the posts about rph being offered $45 a hour and wanted to confirm that I've seen it too. I've met students that graduated last year in 2019 and yes, there was the whole CPJE fiasco but they are still unemployed, a good number of them and the 2020 class just graduated. With the covid recession, it's the tipping point, like the real tipping point. I know many of you will say it came years before but personally, this is the first time I've seen last years grads, a good number of them, unemployed. Also, many of them are from the 4 schools, I spoke about so even going to a better school makes no difference.

As for myself, I'll get to the point and say that I'm good. I'm moved up fairly high, I get paid well above normal. But I'm the exception, not the rule. The biggest thing I can't get out of my head is. My first job out of residency, I got 133k a year, 9-10 years ago. I can hire a pharmacist for less than that and it's been 9-10 years. That alone says it all.

I just don't see this getting better especially with the recession. My company put a hiring freeze on and things are going to get worse.

Good luck

now you just got to watch your own back ;)

Have you thought about buying a pharmacy?

I agree, the school you come out of doesn't make much difference, if you're not lucky and can't hustle. How I see the pharmacy profession now is like any other job out there. If you graduated with an accounting degree and got your CPA or went to law school and got your JD. You have to hustle on your own to make something happen. I think that's what the biggest shock to our profession is. Before, the degree was the golden ticket to a high paying, secure job. But it's been killed to any other job out there. Going to pharmacy school doesn't mean you won't make it, it's just not the golden ticket. So in the healthcare field, it's better to go the route of a high paying, secure job and it's not Pharmacy. That's why I don't say NOBODY should go because there are those that make it, just like you see well paid CPAs, it's just you don't see the ones that are unemployed.

I personally don't think us warning people will make a big difference for a very specific reason. These students have no other choices. When I was applying to pharmacy school more than a decade ago, I took the PCAT, in case I had to go out of state. CNU opened up recently and you could try to go there but that wasn't a guarantee. Look at who is getting into pharmacy school now, everyone. I've seen it firsthand the quality of students coming out of school, 10 years ago, they would never made it into pharmacy school but now there are more seats than students. Look at all the new schools that can't fill up all their slots every year, how deep did they have to dig to even get 80% of the class.

I did a managed care residency. Students ask me all the time, should I do a clinical residency, so my clinical skills are good and then try to find a managed care job. The answer is NO. Of course you see people that did a general residency go into managed care, just like someone with no residency. But your best chances of managed care is to do a managed care residency. Your general hospital residency does nothing for me when I'm looking to hire. And managed care residency are plenty clinical, so I don't know where that idea comes from.

Just look at the caliber of student you have to be to get a residency in managed care now.......it got so much harder. I wouldn't make it now...haha..

I personally don't think us warning people will make a big difference for a very specific reason. These students have no other choices.

Pre-pharms have no other choice but pharmacy school?? No other single option??

You have a point about UOP, UOP has a prepharm program, so they pump out 225+ grads a year and been doing it since the beginning so I agree, high number of alumni.

I've met so many unemployed grads form 2019, it's really bad right now. Still unemployed after a year.

Pre-pharms have no other choice but pharmacy school?? No other single option??

Yeah, grades not good enough to go to med school or dental. Right now with the glut of schools, you can pretty much have a 2.8 and get in. Pharmacy is the only option they have to get a "doctorate" degree with low grades and at least it gives a shot at a 6 figure job out of school.

I'm just imagining myself as a student, my grades and EC are only good enough to get into West Coast/Chapman/Signal Hills/KGI. I've done all health related prereqs, what are my options, go into nursing, which because it's not a doctorate degree, it's not considered as prestigious. I can't get into med or dental......so here I am, I'm going to pharmacy school and let me hope that I'm the special one that my mom always said I was and I make it...lol

Isn't California starting another new school? With the great California exodus, it is a bad time to be a pharmacist in California right now.

Yeah, UCI, it's a great time to be in academia, I guess. All that talk about UCI doing something specialized is all BS and we know that, they just need to justify opening up with so many school and with Chapman in their neighborhood. They are a UC, so they will survive and make money and that's all that matters to them.

now you just got to watch your own back ;)

True, I watch my staffs back too. I have raised starting salaries by 20k a year since I started. I'm at the point where I'm okay for now but I made back up plans outside of pharmacy. You can't get complacent at the top or you get taken out too and I realize that too. It's too personal to post on here but there's things we can all do and make the necessary steps. I know how to hustle....haha....

Also, I want to be very fair and say that I haven't worked a day in retail. I see the horror stories coming from people working retail and if someone like me that is in a very specialized field and I have it way more cush than 90% of the others out there, say it's bad, it must be bad...... when Covid hit, I went full work from home, so I have to say I'm lucky and blessed.

Yeah, UCI, it's a great time to be in academia, I guess. All that talk about UCI doing something specialized is all BS and we know that, they just need to justify opening up with so many school and with Chapman in their neighborhood. They are a UC, so they will survive and make money and that's all that matters to them.
Yeah, if you were to start a new school in CA the UCI play actually make sense because not only will they push Chapman out of existence, they will be "drinking the water from the source," so to speak.

UCI undergrad is the singular biggest feeder school to pharmacy programs in CA so you won't have any recruiting issues if you start a program in-house. That being said the caliber of grads aren't going to be any good so it doesn't solve a thing for the future of this profession...

Why is anyone surprised? $35/hr isn't much at all. A tech makes that much in the hospitals here.

You can call anyone to come to your home to fix things. They will charge you 75-150/hr. It doesn't use big brains either, just experience and some tools.

Yeah, if you were to start a new school in CA the UCI play actually make sense because not only will they push Chapman out of existence, they will be "drinking the water from the source," so to speak.

UCI undergrad is the singular biggest feeder school to pharmacy programs in CA so you won't have any recruiting issues if you start a program in-house. That being said the caliber of grads aren't going to be any good so it doesn't solve a thing for the future of this profession...

To be fair, I don't think quality in students makes any difference at all. UCI will make their money regardless.

CPhA wonders why nobody wants to join, it's because they don't protect our profession. They play the middle and have zero qualms about more schools opening because it increases the pool of membership.

Yeah, grades not good enough to go to med school or dental. Right now with the glut of schools, you can pretty much have a 2.8 and get in. Pharmacy is the only option they have to get a "doctorate" degree with low grades and at least it gives a shot at a 6 figure job out of school.

I'm just imagining myself as a student, my grades and EC are only good enough to get into West Coast/Chapman/Signal Hills/KGI. I've done all health related prereqs, what are my options, go into nursing, which because it's not a doctorate degree, it's not considered as prestigious. I can't get into med or dental......so here I am, I'm going to pharmacy school and let me hope that I'm the special one that my mom always said I was and I make it...lol

Nursing is probably still a better option at this time

That's obviously risky. You can have months with no sales at all.
Clearly. But your job right now is risky too, even if it doesn’t feel that way because as an employee you don’t see the peaks and valleys. They are still there though, and they ultimately affect your employment and wage.

Why is anyone surprised? $35/hr isn't much at all. A tech makes that much in the hospitals here.

You can call anyone to come to your home to fix things. They will charge you 75-150/hr. It doesn't use big brains either, just experience and some tools.
Yeah, within a few years it wouldn’t be hard to make more than $35/hr in a different industry outside pharmacy. Most everyone I know from undergrad makes at least that much, regardless of lack of further degrees.

Yeah, within a few years it wouldn’t be hard to make more than $35/hr in a different industry outside pharmacy. Most everyone I know from undergrad makes at least that much, regardless of lack of further degrees.

Everyone here keeps saying it's so easy to make $35/hr but no one has named a specific job yet. Someone mentioned nursing but that requires going back to school for another degree.

Last edited:
Not the worst list I’ve come across of jobs that pay $60-80k/year. There is also Google, which lists others as well.

Realistically, you may not make that amount on day 1. That’s not really a big deal if you’ve mapped out a plan. You have to be ready to work for a few years. But it will come with a little experience at most jobs like these (and others).

If they are hiring at 45 to 50 now, it means they will aim for 40 to 45 next year. lowered pay is also going to greatly reduce number of interested applicants.

From talking to rotation directors at a couple quality schools, they had trouble finding enough qualified candidates for class starting in 2020. If they scrub the bottom of the barrel too much they risk lowering their naplex pass rate. they can also risk their reputation and their accreditation status this way. they have to consider lowering class size to maintain school reputation. already schools getting many complaints from rotation sites about borderline students.

this is a death spiral and only the strongest schools can survive that process.

If you're either from the Kaiser Downey or the two VA residencies for managed care, you know better than that if you know your colleagues at all. It's no picnic for us faculty either. Most of the science faculty are here on EB-1 or 2's rather than domestic. Administration is even beginning to feel the pressure.

It’s amazing how easy it is to make over $35/hr apparently. It’s a wonder more people don’t do it considering how easy it is.

I used to think that, but you and I have social success syndrome. Basically everyone you associate with is fairly successful and well-to-do, when you then make the assumption that everyone is like that. Now think of your old patients where you were at CVS. Do you think it would be easy for them to do this? Probably not. They are either too crazy, too stupid, too chemically dependent, or too illiterate to be useful. One of the strongest arguments for a minimum wage (which most economists do not believe in from a positive welfare perspective) is that it prices people who are so unproductive as to cost an organization out of work. By having the minimum wage at $10, that means that you want your workers to be at least that good to hire them. That eliminates a significant portion of people for all of the above problems. I no longer believe in the end of poverty or that you can elevate most of the underclass. Poverty is more than just a lack of money, it is a lack of human development.

Many of the new pharmacists have a problem of signalling. That is because standards are so low, that the old credentialing hurdle of getting a PharmD no longer applies, you don't know if they have the degree whether their literacy and competency is high enough to at least make a mediocre worker. That's what the residencies were originally for, as a way of signalling to potential employers that despite the lower wages in the hospital, you would get committed workers where training does not get wasted as much which was a real problem when I started. The problem for good pharmacists in the present era is that there is no way to distinguish themselves from the useless, so the hustle is necessary.

Now, for most pharmacists to make a $35/hr job, yeah, I'd say most of us pre-2015 can switch with some retraining difficulty. There's also plenty of desk jobs that pay that well which are lower stress than pharmacy that pay in the low $70s (nuclear quality control analysts which you need a degree in Art History or some basic bachelor's to do) where you fill out TPS Reports all day. But many of the new grads are just useless, they are not college educated at a level where changing over is possible because they never got the real skill of analysis in the first place.

That's the same reason why all those IT posers are going to get destroyed when the market turns, because only the adaptable survive. No one in any field, even medicine, should expect to end their careers using only the skills and knowledge that they got from initial training. Without keeping up and being proactive about being productive including hustling for better jobs, expect to be axed sooner than later.

Reactions: 5 users
If they are hiring at 45 to 50 now, it means they will aim for 40 to 45 next year. lowered pay is also going to greatly reduce number of interested applicants.

From talking to rotation directors at a couple quality schools, they had trouble finding enough qualified candidates for class starting in 2020. If they scrub the bottom of the barrel too much they risk lowering their naplex pass rate. they can also risk their reputation and their accreditation status this way. they have to consider lowering class size to maintain school reputation. already schools getting many complaints from rotation sites about borderline students.

this is a death spiral and only the strongest schools can survive that process.
Nah, just a couple years ago it was 65 to be staff at CVS in CA. The drop has been pretty wide to 50/hr. 15 less in 2 yrs. Next drop is 35-40/hr

If you're either from the Kaiser Downey or the two VA residencies for managed care, you know better than that if you know your colleagues at all. It's no picnic for us faculty either. Most of the science faculty are here on EB-1 or 2's rather than domestic. Administration is even beginning to feel the pressure.

None of those, Kaiser and VA are not real managed care...haha.. I understand about academia, more than you know, the day of reckoning is coming when the schools close down. Have you seen the numbers, you can't survive when your bills for the school mean you need 80 students and you only get 65, 15 students is your profit margin..haha

I used to think that, but you and I have social success syndrome. Basically everyone you associate with is fairly successful and well-to-do, when you then make the assumption that everyone is like that. Now think of your old patients where you were at CVS. Do you think it would be easy for them to do this? Probably not. They are either too crazy, too stupid, too chemically dependent, or too illiterate to be useful. One of the strongest arguments for a minimum wage (which most economists do not believe in from a positive welfare perspective) is that it prices people who are so unproductive as to cost an organization out of work. By having the minimum wage at $10, that means that you want your workers to be at least that good to hire them. That eliminates a significant portion of people for all of the above problems. I no longer believe in the end of poverty or that you can elevate most of the underclass. Poverty is more than just a lack of money, it is a lack of human development.

Many of the new pharmacists have a problem of signalling. That is because standards are so low, that the old credentialing hurdle of getting a PharmD no longer applies, you don't know if they have the degree whether their literacy and competency is high enough to at least make a mediocre worker. That's what the residencies were originally for, as a way of signalling to potential employers that despite the lower wages in the hospital, you would get committed workers where training does not get wasted as much which was a real problem when I started. The problem for good pharmacists in the present era is that there is no way to distinguish themselves from the useless, so the hustle is necessary.

Now, for most pharmacists to make a $35/hr job, yeah, I'd say most of us pre-2015 can switch with some retraining difficulty. There's also plenty of desk jobs that pay that well which are lower stress than pharmacy that pay in the low $70s (nuclear quality control analysts which you need a degree in Art History or some basic bachelor's to do) where you fill out TPS Reports all day. But many of the new grads are just useless, they are not college educated at a level where changing over is possible because they never got the real skill of analysis in the first place.

That's the same reason why all those IT posers are going to get destroyed when the market turns, because only the adaptable survive. No one in any field, even medicine, should expect to end their careers using only the skills and knowledge that they got from initial training. Without keeping up and being proactive about being productive including hustling for better jobs, expect to be axed sooner than later.

I pretty much agree with everything you said...... I had to kick out a student mid-APPE because it was so bad. My attitude for APPE is, if you just sit there, I will give you a pass if it's pass/fail or A. What's it to me, you might end up being my boss one day and I don't want you to hold a grudge. It was that bad where I had to intervene and the school did nothing. So I kicked out the whole program.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Clearly. But your job right now is risky too, even if it doesn’t feel that way because as an employee you don’t see the peaks and valleys. They are still there though, and they ultimately affect your employment and wage.

A steady paycheck is way less risky than a commission based sales job, even if my job only lasts a few more months.

None of those, Kaiser and VA are not real managed care...haha.. I understand about academia, more than you know, the day of reckoning is coming when the schools close down. Have you seen the numbers, you can't survive when your bills for the school mean you need 80 students and you only get 65, 15 students is your profit margin..haha

Why yes I have. You might not want to say that time unless you’re tenured yourself...

You should understand for the old public schools, we don’t care about tuition. We don’t care about the number of students unless it’s state mandated. It’s always a money losing proposition. There’s another post that explains how finance works, but the dropout problem is the one that the state goes after us for.

I’m curious where you trained if you really did a residency in managed care in CA.

Why yes I have. You might not want to say that time unless you’re tenured yourself...

You should understand for the old public schools, we don’t care about tuition. We don’t care about the number of students unless it’s state mandated. It’s always a money losing proposition. There’s another post that explains how finance works, but the dropout problem is the one that the state goes after us for.

I’m curious where you trained if you really did a residency in managed care in CA.
Can second that Kaiser and VA don't have real managed care residency programs. There's a particular definition of managed care to those truly committed to the cause, and working in a health system isn't it. Though I do disagree with @moolman that managed care residencies are clinical. Matter of fact I would argue that the more "clinical" a managed care residency is, the less of an actual "managed care" residency the program is.

Everyone here keeps saying it's so easy to make $35/hr but no one has named a specific job yet. Someone mentioned nursing but that requires going back to school for another degree.

I may have pitched the best option to you yet. I’m not bull****ing - did you look into nursing home administration?

I have started completing the hours myself. Not because I want to leave pharmacy, right now, rather I want the peace of mind to have a backup option.

Send me a PM with your name and I'll add you on LinkedIn.

I know the older schools and the public schools don't care. There's only so many more years that WC/KGI/Chapman/Signal can last under enrolling by 10, 15, 20 students a year.

Last edited:
Can second that Kaiser and VA don't have real managed care residency programs. There's a particular definition of managed care to those truly committed to the cause, and working in a health system isn't it. Though I do disagree with @moolman that managed care residencies are clinical. Matter of fact I would argue that the more "clinical" a managed care residency is, the less of an actual "managed care" residency the program is.

Well, I don't call the Kaiser Managed Care programs, like the Modesto/Stockton and South Sac residencies real managed care because it's mostly amb care with a few things thrown in. Just look at their previous residents, it's either you become a DEC or you just end up doing plain amb care. So what was the point if you just got into amb care, might as well, just did a regular amb care residency. The VA has their own system, so none of what you learn in that residency is transferable to a regular health plan or PBM work, it's just not the same.

An accredited managed care residency is required to have an amb care component, along with drug reviews and a few other things thrown in, it's clinical and you have to be a good clinician to be good at it. Don't get me wrong, my clinical skills are pretty poor now but I had to work it during residency...haha.. but I get why you say the more clinical it is, the less managed care it is, cause Kaiser messes it up, calling their residencies managed care when it should really be called amb care management or drug use management residency.

I may have pitched the best option to you yet. I’m not bull****ing - did you look into nursing home administration?

I have started completing the hours myself. Not because I want to leave pharmacy, right now, rather I want the peace of mind to have a backup option.

My bad, thanks for the suggestion. I will look into this, have heard nothing about it.

A steady paycheck is way less risky than a commission based sales job, even if my job only lasts a few more months.
Which job is riskier largely depends on your savings rate, your debts, and your ability to weather downturns.

Status
Not open for further replies.