Iowa State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else's still say "In Review" and have no GPA calculations? They also still say that they require my Fall '23 transcript even though they have definitely received it.

Anyone else's still say "In Review" and have no GPA calculations? They also still say that they require my Fall '23 transcript even though they have definitely received it.
I believe everyone’s should say In Review at this point, it won’t change till 2/15
I’d think they’re probably working through the last handful of GPAs and transcripts but I’m sure they wouldn’t mind a message through the portal if you wanted to be sure

Members don't see this ad :)
any previous year applicants willing to share their basic stats/ if they ended up on the waitlist or rejected? I’m honestly just curious in the variation because I know Iowa is more “holistic” than other schools

Reactions: 1 user
any previous year applicants willing to share their basic stats/ if they ended up on the waitlist or rejected? I’m honestly just curious in the variation because I know Iowa is more “holistic” than other schools
I’m curious too! I did terrible on the CASPER so I’m hoping that doesn’t kill my chances too much…

Also curious about this— Iowa calculated my GPAs significantly higher than every other school and is one of my last shots

I had a 3.1 cGPA (not that this matters to them) and 2.95 science GPA and a 3.4 last 45, and got on the waitlist 2021 cycle. I was 236/265 on the waitlist so I was never called off, but I was definitely shocked because of my GPAs.

Reactions: 3 users

Hello, I am a current vm1 at iowa. For my application, Iowa calculated my science GPA at 3.42 and my last 45 at 3.31. I was accepted (not waitlisted). The year prior I applied with similar stats and was waitlisted at spot 155 (I can't remember out of how many but it was probably in the 200s). That year they got to 152 or 153 on the list before the class was full.

Reactions: 9 users
VM1 at Iowa, my cGPA and overall science were around 3.2, Iowa calculated my prereq science and last 45 both around 3.9 (thank you grade replacement). I had only about 800 veterinary experience hours but over 15,000 hours farm animal/equine experience. I got waitlisted at #68 and accepted in April.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m curious too! I did terrible on the CASPER so I’m hoping that doesn’t kill my chances too much…
I also did terribly on the CASPER, so I'm worried as well! I have heard of some people getting in though with the lowest score.

I also scored second to lowest percentile on Casper.

Same here for scoring low on the Casper. Would definitely love to hear more stats of current students.

Reactions: 1 users
I scored mid-percentile. Honestly, no idea how they even grade that kind of test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was so nervous when taking that test, I do so much better in a face-to-face interview with an actual person. I feel like it just doesn't judge your interview skills/personality very well. That was definitely my weakest spot when applying to some schools and is making me nervous for sure!

CASPER test is like when you're trying to sleep at night and thinking about all the different possibilities and outcomes of an embarrassing event in your mind, but you get graded for it. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
CASPer called me a borderline sociopath the first time I took it then hit me with 4th quartile this cycle so…can’t say I have a ton of faith in its reliability lol. I was less nervous and more busy trying not to laugh at the absurdity of the prompts for a good chunk of the questions this time around so maybe that helped? Who knows

CASPER test is like when you're trying to sleep at night and thinking about all the different possibilities and outcomes of an embarrassing event in your mind, but you get graded for it. 😅
I came down with the stomach flu the day of mine so I was thinking more about not throwing up than my answers. But still, everytime a prompt ended I was like there’s no way they are asking stuff this dumb 😭

• Care
I guys! I am a 2nd time OOS applicant here! Last year I was waitlisted at number 152/236 people. The waitlist last year got to about 145 I believe. In previous years they have reached anywhere from 120-180's on the waitlist, so it is really year-dependent. I am hoping with my masters, and maintaining a 4.0 in it, I get in or low on the waitlist🤞 My stats last year- my calculated science (lower than I anticipated) was a 2.83, and my last 45 was a 3.59. My overall GPA last year was a 2.98 (due to some crappy pre-bachelors courses I did not take seriously). All have increased significantly since starting my masters so hoping that helps- and hoping this helps some of you guys gauge things out! Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Also, I have never shared my GPA stats so no judgment 😓I have had some rough patches and all that matters is the change I have made since them!
*and edit I forgot to add I had 4th quartile on the CASPer test both years!

• Care
1 more week everyone!! The wait is almost over!
I have a 3.1 last 45 and a 2.88 science. First time OOS. Fingers crossed to at least make the waitlist!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Iowa is my last chance other than LMU and I’m SO NERVOUS 😩 I’d be over the moon for an alternate position, especially since they tend to go way down the list for OOS.

Best of luck to everyone as we enter the final countdown!

• Care
Iowa is my last chance other than LMU and I’m SO NERVOUS 😩 I’d be over the moon for an alternate position, especially since they tend to go way down the list for OOS.

Best of luck to everyone as we enter the final countdown!
I also would be ecstatic for a waitlist spot. This is my last chance this cycle and I need a little hope to keep me motivated to keep trying 😅 best of luck to you!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
My GPAs were posted today as well so for those that are still waiting, they’re coming soon as they make final touches! Good luck everyone!

I'm so nervous. First time OOS, Required Science Course GPA: 3.69, Last 45 Credits GPA: 3.71. I hope my stats are good enough...I'll be happy if I make the waitlist lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Fingers crossed for everyone in here!Science Pre-Req : 3.01
Last 45: 3.65

Good luck to everyone! It’s not if we get in somewhere, it’s when! We’ve all come so far in our education so just keep your head up!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hi I’m a current vm1. There’s huge variety in my class with gpa and experience etc. You all have hope. Good luck and please do some meditation or something this week and try to stay chill leading up to THE DAY. You’ll be okay whatever the outcome.
Anyway, let me know if you have any questions! I know the feeling of this week and checking that portal all the time, feeling like you’ll vomit or pass out or just straight up cease to exist.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
We got this guys! Be proud of yourselves no matter the result!

Reactions: 8 users
What time do decisions typically come out on Feb 15? Do they call or email? I am sitting on the edge of my seat. I have 2 exams tomorrow and would hate to miss a phone call with my decision! Good luck everyone:)

What time do decisions typically come out on Feb 15? Do they call or email? I am sitting on the edge of my seat. I have 2 exams tomorrow and would hate to miss a phone call with my decision! Good luck everyone:)
It's always emails/portal, no calls and usually later in the afternoon, the year I last applied 2021 cycle it was like 5PM EST and later. Some people got decisions at 8 PM.

It's always emails/portal, no calls and usually later in the afternoon, the year I last applied 2021 cycle it was like 5PM EST and later. Some people got decisions at 8 PM.
They’re gonna have me sweating at the dinner table

Reactions: 3 users
I have the day off work tomorrow so I need to find all the things to keep me busy 😂

My parents are coming to visit me in my college town tomorrow. So if I get rejected at least I will have them to cry with 🥲

• Care
Current VM1 - wishing everyone good luck this week. I know the wait is hard ….

Spend some time doing something you enjoy- try and take your mind off things ( easier said than done… I know…)

Good luck - if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.

Reactions: 5 users
Happy aggressive portal refreshing day to all who celebrate 🤌

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Normally I’d never say this, but it’s too QUIET at work rn. I need all the distractions 🫠

• Haha
I’m trying to keep myself busy but it’s not working too well 😅 we don’t have too much longer!!

I wish you all good luck. Remember, if you don't get in, its ok. Most people don't have the drive to even try doing what we are doing. You can try again next year. You might feel like it will never happen, but if you want it, it will.
I am 38 years old and finally starting vet school after years of having to put things on hold and being rejected. It will work out, even if it isn't how you expect it to. Good luck!

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
The journey to even be able to apply to vet school is long and difficult. We all made it through! We’re all smart, capable and dedicated! Regardless if it’s this year, next year, or ten years from now, we are all going to be great veterinarians some day! Good luck to you all ☺️

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
Yeah just Iowa and LMU but not feeling hopeful atm. LMU has admissions decisions through the summer :(