Iowa State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if you're supposed to get something (email, update on status page, etc) once they receive your Fall 2023 transcripts? I sent mine and my school said they sent it but not getting an email from Iowa State or seeing it in the "materials received" section of the status page has me gas lighting myself that Iowa State hasn't gotten it :(
The same thing happened to me, I sent it in and my portal said they still hadn’t received it. I had to send them a message on the portal letting them know I sent it and they updated it the next day to reflect that they received it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!!! I’m a first year at Iowa State. Wishing everyone the best of luck - I know the wait is hard- but it will be here before you know it. Feel free to message me with any questions. Also- keep in mind with the portal- these are updated manually- so the process does take time. If you have concerns - send a message through the portal- I have found that they are super responsive. Good Luck
Hello! How long does it normally take to receive a response through the portal...I sent a message through the portal on Monday but have not heard back. I'm sure they are swamped, but I'm wondering my next step.

Hello! How long does it normally take to receive a response through the portal...I sent a message through the portal on Monday but have not heard back. I'm sure they are swamped, but I'm wondering my next step.
Usually takes a few days I’ve sent some and it took about 4-5 days

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!!! I’m a first year at Iowa State. Wishing everyone the best of luck - I know the wait is hard- but it will be here before you know it. Feel free to message me with any questions. Also- keep in mind with the portal- these are updated manually- so the process does take time. If you have concerns - send a message through the portal- I have found that they are super responsive. Good Luck
May I message you?!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how Iowa calculates the last 45 credit GPA? Very confused as it’s a lot lower than what other schools have me at and what I thought it would be

Just curious…am I the only one that doesn’t have calculated GPAs showing on my supplemental app page?

Does anyone know how Iowa calculates the last 45 credit GPA? Very confused as it’s a lot lower than what other schools have me at and what I thought it would be
From my understanding, they start with the most recent and go back until they hit 45. If a semester is short, aka 43/44 credits, they take the WHOLE next semester

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m wondering if they’re just THAT behind on updating statuses or if this means something else 🤔
Mine showed up very recently. Based on a message I got back from them via the portal they seem to be pretty behind unfortunately:/ hoping this doesn’t mean decisions are delayed like last year but we shall see!!

From my understanding, they start with the most recent and go back until they hit 45. If a semester is short, aka 43/44 credits, they take the WHOLE next semester
Hm I'm really confused as to how they got to the GPA they put like I think it's like 0.3 off of what it should be. I messaged them hopefully its a mistake

Decisions aren’t supposed to come out until Mid-February, correct?

I thought you could not apply for their program until you’re in your first year? As in, we had to apply after we’d been accepted? I applied for dual degree for other institutions but I appear to have gotten some bad info about Iowa! Oops

Decisions aren’t supposed to come out until Mid-February, correct?
Usually February 15th! But last year there was a 1 week delay so it was posted on the 22nd

Reactions: 1 users
anyone's still say that they need our transcript? I sent mine in right after the fall semester ended but its still showing that it wasn't received.

anyone's still say that they need our transcript? I sent mine in right after the fall semester ended but its still showing that it wasn't received.
Mine is still missing. I sent an email early January to make sure it was received and I got a message back that it was so I think they're still putting everything in for some people.

I thought you could not apply for their program until you’re in your first year? As in, we had to apply after we’d been accepted? I applied for dual degree for other institutions but I appear to have gotten some bad info about Iowa! Oops
I think, not positive so don’t quote me on this, but I think you can apply for the combo program during normal application, as well as apply later when you’re in the DVM program and tack the PhD on. Again I’m not positive, but I don’t think you’re totally out of luck if you also want to do the PhD

For anyone who sent in Fall 2023 transcripts, has you portal's status update to reflect that? I sent mine in on 1-3-24 and my application portal still says fall transcripts are needed. I emailed and messaged them on the portal, but haven't gotten a response. My application status also just says "in review".

For anyone who sent in Fall 2023 transcripts, has you portal's status update to reflect that? I sent mine in on 1-3-24 and my application portal still says fall transcripts are needed. I emailed and messaged them on the portal, but haven't gotten a response. My application status also just says "in review".
Yes, I did. I sent a message through the portal and they responded and updated the status to received.

I sent mine when they requested them and my portal updated last week and my GPA populated as well. I messaged them on the portal right after the winter break due to not seeing my second transcript update and they responded quickly stating that had it but had not put it in yet. My portal still says in review but all transcripts have been received and GPA entered. Unfortunately they manually enter everything so it takes time.

Same happened to me but I had ended up accidentally sending it to the regular ISU admissions so I contacted them and contacted Donna via the ISUCVM portal and they were able to sort it out. It now says received

I don't know if I'm just dumb or if other people didn't know, but Iowa stated they do not use graduate GPA grades of any sort in their GPA calculations. I thought this was interesting because they still requested my "graduate transcripts" for this fall and next spring.

I don't know if I'm just dumb or if other people didn't know, but Iowa stated they do not use graduate GPA grades of any sort in their GPA calculations. I thought this was interesting because they still requested my "graduate transcripts" for this fall and next spring.
hey! I was wondering who told you this? My GPA calculations definitely include my masters program!

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 10.02.42 PM.png

hey! I was wondering who told you this? My GPA calculations definitely include my masters program!
I just posted a picture in the thread, forgot to attach it as a reply. It's a screenshot from their website taken today.

Edit - I guess more specifically grades for graduate seminar, thesis and research.

I just posted a picture in the thread, forgot to attach it as a reply. It's a screenshot from their website taken today
It says in the screenshot that graduate didactic coursework is included. They only don’t include research credits/seminars probably because they are almost always given As or S/P grades

I just posted a picture in the thread, forgot to attach it as a reply. It's a screenshot from their website taken today
Oh that just means graduate thesis or seminar classes and the like, for example I got a 3 credit hour class that was a pass fail for being a grad TA, since it was just a pass/fail class (which a lot of these kinds of classes are) they don’t include it in the GPA, but I can assure you my graduate level grades which were all upper level bio at a graduate level were factored into my gpa calcs!!

Oh that just means graduate thesis or seminar classes and the like, for example I got a 3 credit hour class that was a pass fail for being a grad TA, since it was just a pass/fail class (which a lot of these kinds of classes are) they don’t include it in the GPA, but I can assure you my graduate level grades which were all upper level bio at a graduate level were factored into my gpa calcs!!
Okay thank you! I'm sorry I guess I just panic read that and didn't put things together.

• Haha
Hi all! If your GPAs are on your portal, double check them! Mine were miscalculated, and Kathy was very helpful and responsive through the message board.
She mentioned that that was the reason they posted the values on the portals bc they hope that applicants check the calculated GPAs since mistakes can happen.

Also note that if your transcript has +/- grades, Iowa DOES use the +/- in GPA calculation.

Just thought I would share this!

Last edited:
Hi all! If your GPAs are on your portal, double check them! Mine were miscalculated, and Kathy was very helpful and responsive through the message board.
She mentioned that that was the reason they posted the values on the portals bc they hope that applicants check the calculated GPAs since mistakes can happen.

Also note that if your transcript has +/- grades, Iowa DOES use the +/- in GPA calculation.

Just thought I would share this!
Do you have to show your work if you calculate your GPA and it isn't correct?

I used the one on calculator.net (just googled gpa Calc and it was the first one to pop up). I liked it bc it shows all the steps. The GPAs on the portals are the Iowa specific science prerequisite GPA and then the last 45 credit GPA.

I used the one on calculator.net (just googled gpa Calc and it was the first one to pop up). I liked it bc it shows all the steps. The GPAs on the portals are the Iowa specific science prerequisite GPA and then the last 45 credit GPA.
It is worth noting through, for schools that do the last 45 credit GPA. They go in a backwards fashion semester by semester (including winter and summer terms). If they finish a semester and are even 1 credit short of the 45 credit hour minimum, they will include the next ENTIRE term. They won’t just include one class or your best grade unfortunately. Just wanted to be sure you were aware!

It is worth noting through, for schools that do the last 45 credit GPA. They go in a backwards fashion semester by semester (including winter and summer terms). If they finish a semester and are even 1 credit short of the 45 credit hour minimum, they will include the next ENTIRE term. They won’t just include one class or your best grade unfortunately. Just wanted to be sure you were aware!
I did it today and then Iowa sent me what they used for my science GPA. They were spot on with the last 45 but I got higher for my sciences than they did. When she sent me the excel spreadsheet they chose a different lab for one of my chemistries than I did and excluded two labs that I included. If you message them they will send you your spreadsheet.
Also she confirmed it is still February 15 after 5pm for notices to go out of acceptances/rejections/waitlist

I did it today and then Iowa sent me what they used for my science GPA. They were spot on with the last 45 but I got higher for my sciences than they did. When she sent me the excel spreadsheet they chose a different lab for one of my chemistries than I did and excluded two labs that I included. If you message them they will send you your spreadsheet.
Also she confirmed it is still February 15 after 5pm for notices to go out of acceptances/rejections/waitlist
Dang they’re really going to make me go to work all day with that kind of stress 🥴

Did they say they were going to go with your calculations or keep the ones they had?