Iowa State C/O 2027 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm 46 on the OOS list and I just got a message that I was pulled off the list!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted today and was 43 OOS! Now just waiting to hear from westernu!

Reactions: 1 user
If people can update if they get off waitlist today I would be forever in debt! I have to accept another school’s deposit by tonight and I’m #63 OOS here

I am 152 on the OOS list and I am emotional and eager hearing how fast the list is moving already. This is my last shot this cycle and I am praying they get to me 🤞 Congrats to everyone so far and I hope I get to join the class!

Reactions: 2 users
I am 152 on the OOS list and I am emotional and eager hearing how fast the list is moving already. This is my last shot this cycle and I am praying they get to me 🤞 Congrats to everyone so far and I hope I get to join the class!
For real! I feel like I’m refreshing this page and my messages page every 10mins hoping for an offer 😅 Good luck!!!

I am 152 on the OOS list and I am emotional and eager hearing how fast the list is moving already. This is my last shot this cycle and I am praying they get to me Congrats to everyone so far and I hope I get to join the class!
I am 135! I feel the same!! Best of luck to us!!

If people can update if they get off waitlist today I would be forever in debt! I have to accept another school’s deposit by tonight and I’m #63 OOS here
it's saturday, so i doubt they're making any calls today. but if they're already at #51 before the decision deadline has passed, i would be shocked if you at #63 don't get offered a spot eventually. just probably not this weekend.

Reactions: 1 users
I will ask about waitlist movement around noon EST today so no one else has to use up their one “ask” for the week today 🤣

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that have Iowa as their #1 pick or rank it highly among other schools, what made you decide you like Iowa best? I’m waitlisted at LIU as well but due to the insanely high COL I’m leaning more towards Iowa, but it’s actually my last choice out of all the schools I applied to. I’m trying to convince myself that I can’t just waste my time and money and apply again if I get an acceptance from Iowa my main concerns were just hearing what the 4th years said with the teaching hospital working conditions and the attrition rate, and I’m really trying to see past that

For those of you that have Iowa as their #1 pick or rank it highly among other schools, what made you decide you like Iowa best? I’m waitlisted at LIU as well but due to the insanely high COL I’m leaning more towards Iowa, but it’s actually my last choice out of all the schools I applied to. I’m trying to convince myself that I can’t just waste my time and money and apply again if I get an acceptance from Iowa my main concerns were just hearing what the 4th years said with the teaching hospital working conditions and the attrition rate, and I’m really trying to see past that
Iowa is technically my #2 (I'm waitlisted at WSU, which is my #1) but I liked Iowa because its on the cheaper side for OOS, at least compared to my IS school. I also liked that they start surgical training on the earlier side. Housing there is also very, very cheap. A lot of my decision came from me comparing Iowa to my in-state UofA. I don't feel like UofA will give me the training and opportunities I need if I want to pursue a surgical residency. I would prefer a 4 year school over a 3 year school, as well. That being said, if WSU pulls me off their waitlist, I'll probably go there.

What have you heard from the 4 yrs about the hospital/attrition?

Iowa is technically my #2 (I'm waitlisted at WSU, which is my #1) but I liked Iowa because its on the cheaper side for OOS, at least compared to my IS school. I also liked that they start surgical training on the earlier side. Housing there is also very, very cheap. A lot of my decision came from me comparing Iowa to my in-state UofA. I don't feel like UofA will give me the training and opportunities I need if I want to pursue a surgical residency. I would prefer a 4 year school over a 3 year school, as well. That being said, if WSU pulls me off their waitlist, I'll probably go there.

What have you heard from the 4 yrs about the hospital/attrition?

If you search attrition rate in the veterinary subreddit forum there’s a page that talked about it. Iowa state daily released an article in February about the clinical year. If I get accepted I plan on talking to the administration about how they’re working on this!

I won’t be attending Iowa, but I ranked it high on my list because they have their own teaching hospital (which is convenient) and I was told that there were incredible additional learning opportunities (wet labs, case studies, hands on opportunities, etc.) through school clubs — and they pretty much have a club for anything you could think of. Attrition rate took a hit recently, but then again, A LOT of schools experienced a higher attrition rate since Covid happened. I was also told that the community of vet students there were incredibly supportive. I think what really sold me on Iowa as well was their excellence in surgery. I was told that Iowa’s surgery teams were AMAZING and that you get to start gaining surgery experience earlier than most schools. Plus, it’s way cheaper than LIU. Vet school is four years and paying off your debt is for the rest of your life. I could list more things, but those are the aspects of what stuck out to me the most. If you get accepted off the waitlist, I’d definitely take the seat. The application cycle gets more and more competitive every year and there is no guarantee that you will get in next year. Ultimately, Iowa will still take you where you want to be and you will still become a vet! Which is what matters the most! Congrats on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
I won’t be attending Iowa, but I ranked it high on my list because they have their own teaching hospital (which is convenient) and I was told that there were incredible additional learning opportunities (wet labs, case studies, hands on opportunities, etc.) through school clubs — and they pretty much have a club for anything you could think of. Attrition rate took a hit recently, but then again, A LOT of schools experienced a higher attrition rate since Covid happened. I was also told that the community of vet students there were incredibly supportive. I think what really sold me on Iowa as well was their excellence in surgery. I was told that Iowa’s surgery teams were AMAZING and that you get to start gaining surgery experience earlier than most schools. Plus, it’s way cheaper than LIU. Vet school is four years and paying off your debt is for the rest of your life. I could list more things, but those are the aspects of what stuck out to me the most. If you get accepted off the waitlist, I’d definitely take the seat. The application cycle gets more and more competitive every year and there is no guarantee that you will get in next year. Ultimately, Iowa will still take you where you want to be and you will still become a vet! Which is what matters the most! Congrats on the waitlist!

I really appreciate this, thank you so much :)

In regards to the clinical year expectations. Maybe this will come off as harsh, but what the students were describing there is not too different from what I’ve heard at other schools. Clinical rotations are challenging and exhausting (and yes you’re usually overworked) because being a veterinarian is challenging and exhausting. And I really take fault with students who expect any vet school rotation to be “laid back and chill” (quote from a student in the article). Unless it’s epidemiology rotation 🤣 (I’m joking) Vet students in their clinical year at any institution should be taking an active role in patient care- that includes walking patients, coming in on weekends to feed them, and cleaning soiled bedding.

I may be biased because I grew up with two veterinarian parents and spent a lot of time around vets growing up. But the descriptions that I see in the article don’t seem any more unreasonable to me than what my father has done as a solo practitioner in large animal rural practice for 30+ years, and what my mother has done as a small animal vet for the same period of time. My parents certainly don’t work 80 hour weeks every week (or even most weeks)- but there have been times where that occurred. I have had days with numerous emergencies in clinics I’ve worked at where the doctors and I didn’t eat lunch because we had so many patient care duties. I don’t think that working 80 hours a week should be the expectation or the rule, but there are days where things work out that way.

Reactions: 4 users
I am becoming more and more anxious because they are in the 50s and I am number 59. :rofl: Anyone else feeling overly distracted today?

Kind of to add onto what chickenpotage said, I don't have experience with ISU personally, but I worked for NCSU's vet hospital and saw everything the students/staff/clinicians went through there (and this is a school that's been ranked top 5 vet schools for a long time). This is NOT a singularly ISU problem. COVID + staffing shortages hit hard EVERYWHERE, vet med especially, historically most vet school use 4th years during their rotations to care for patients at some point during the day (NCSU i believe it used to be 8AM and 8PM treatments but was just morning treatments when I worked there). There was changeover quite a bit with staffing especially near the end and I know they are still working to get back up to full staffing in the departments. I don't believe there was a ton of clinician change over, but i didn't really see the teaching side for the vet students.

As chickenpotage said, it really depends on your rotation, and every rotation is completely different in the patients you got. I had a friend who spent 80+ hours because she had a patient with tetanus in ICU while her classmates were out way before she was. Even in general hospital where treatments would be considered easier than some of the more high level patient areas, there were students on neuro who had patients that had gotten the ability to urinate on their own back and because of that treatments took half the time because they weren't having to go through the steps to manually express the bladder, etc. Considering for myself working there, there were days I left exactly on time or even early because of patient load and then there were days I left 5 hours late and was helping in another department. I would say this is overall very typical of vet med and while I don't think it should be the status quo, it is something I know people are working on changing to better work life balance!

Finally, I also think it's a big jump for a lot of students to go from majority learning in the classroom to jumping into rotations and having to deal with treatments. I know what really helped my one friend was actually picking up shifts in departments she was allowed to, it gave her a leg up when they started rotations and because of that she was miles ahead of some of her classmates and it wasn't as challenging to get up to speed. I think what really makes students think these things take a while is they haven't established a "flow", which is something these rotations and treatments are trying to establish. It might seem 'obvious' but seriously, watching a student go to the same med drawer 8 times because they keep forgetting something and then struggling to feed the dog more food because they forgot to give the pills the first time would be a perfect example of not having a good flow.

Sorry that's my long rant! I would 100% say no school is any better than any other in this regard and I just wanted to state my case that I wouldn't overly let this sway your decision, i think that since ISU is actually talking about it with students and willing to try and fix these things (and have discussions about it) is a good step in the right direction. I know NCSU was putting out statements about not letting students work past X hrs weekly as well.

Kind of to add onto what chickenpotage said, I don't have experience with ISU personally, but I worked for NCSU's vet hospital and saw everything the students/staff/clinicians went through there (and this is a school that's been ranked top 5 vet schools for a long time). This is NOT a singularly ISU problem. COVID + staffing shortages hit hard EVERYWHERE, vet med especially, historically most vet school use 4th years during their rotations to care for patients at some point during the day (NCSU i believe it used to be 8AM and 8PM treatments but was just morning treatments when I worked there). There was changeover quite a bit with staffing especially near the end and I know they are still working to get back up to full staffing in the departments. I don't believe there was a ton of clinician change over, but i didn't really see the teaching side for the vet students.

As chickenpotage said, it really depends on your rotation, and every rotation is completely different in the patients you got. I had a friend who spent 80+ hours because she had a patient with tetanus in ICU while her classmates were out way before she was. Even in general hospital where treatments would be considered easier than some of the more high level patient areas, there were students on neuro who had patients that had gotten the ability to urinate on their own back and because of that treatments took half the time because they weren't having to go through the steps to manually express the bladder, etc. Considering for myself working there, there were days I left exactly on time or even early because of patient load and then there were days I left 5 hours late and was helping in another department. I would say this is overall very typical of vet med and while I don't think it should be the status quo, it is something I know people are working on changing to better work life balance!

Finally, I also think it's a big jump for a lot of students to go from majority learning in the classroom to jumping into rotations and having to deal with treatments. I know what really helped my one friend was actually picking up shifts in departments she was allowed to, it gave her a leg up when they started rotations and because of that she was miles ahead of some of her classmates and it wasn't as challenging to get up to speed. I think what really makes students think these things take a while is they haven't established a "flow", which is something these rotations and treatments are trying to establish. It might seem 'obvious' but seriously, watching a student go to the same med drawer 8 times because they keep forgetting something and then struggling to feed the dog more food because they forgot to give the pills the first time would be a perfect example of not having a good flow.

Sorry that's my long rant! I would 100% say no school is any better than any other in this regard and I just wanted to state my case that I wouldn't overly let this sway your decision, i think that since ISU is actually talking about it with students and willing to try and fix these things (and have discussions about it) is a good step in the right direction. I know NCSU was putting out statements about not letting students work past X hrs weekly as well.
I worked as an assistant at State while in undergrad and definitely agree with your take on this! Students working in GP oftentimes did get to leave around 6, while students working in the ICU left much later!

I am becoming more and more anxious because they are in the 50s and I am number 59. :rofl: Anyone else feeling overly distracted today?
Well if checking this forum multiple times an hour counts as overly distracted then yes, yes I am.

• Haha
I just got an offer. Was #68.

Reactions: 5 users
I’m going to ask for an update on the OOS waitlist today at noon EST!

I will be declining my offered seat due to getting into my in-state, good luck everybody!

Hi! Iowa was actually my last choice of schools as I’ve never been to the Midwest and knew very little about it besides them being more holistic compared to others. The fact that they did review my application by hand and every part of it besides just being a high GPA actually made me feel like they cared and I did see that in their staff and faculty when I visited on Preview Day. I did talk to the Dean about the article their newspaper published. He told me that communication was lost somewhere up the chain as they strive to have not students overwork themselves, but they also do miss the ball and it happens. It wasn’t the greatest answer imo tbh but I hope there’s change. It’s not uncommon at many vet school though and I have heard it’s not with every rotation during clinical year either. I’ve talked to UC Davis graduates who share the same story. It’s just Iowa students who took a stand and want better.

Learning more about ISU, i am interested in specializing and they have nearly every speciality besides Neuro which was way more than my waitlisted schools offered. If i decide I want to, i wanted to be exposed to the most amount of material as possible. Their professors are boarded and would be a great resource. The entire campus is connected too, from the anatomy lab to lectures to the small and large animal hospitals. When it’s -10 outside you never have to leave the building which my mom and I thought was a nice bonus as were from Sunny California 😅. With their high NAVLE pass rate (interested to see it this year too) and what the program offers (research opportunities, diverse clubs, leadership roles) it became my best choice. I actually already asked a professor I met there to present my white coat as the vibe was just great. Plus I heard there are only like 3-5 vet schools that participate in the health professions student loan program with your parent info on FAFSA. If I’m lucky I’ll never have to take out the grad plus loan as an out of state student which helps a ton. Ideally I would’ve loved to get in to Oregon State as it’s close to home and the location is better. I’m waitlisted there and still waiting to see if I make it off the list, but I am more than happy with my acceptance and may actually still choose Iowa due to it being cheaper. Visiting really helped me make the decision and it’s only 4 years in the middle of no where in comparison to the rest of my career 😅. I hope that helps!

• Wow
Hi! Iowa was actually my last choice of schools as I’ve never been to the Midwest and knew very little about it besides them being more holistic compared to others. The fact that they did review my application by hand and every part of it besides just being a high GPA actually made me feel like they cared and I did see that in their staff and faculty when I visited on Preview Day. I did talk to the Dean about the article their newspaper published. He told me that communication was lost somewhere up the chain as they strive to have not students overwork themselves, but they also do miss the ball and it happens. It wasn’t the greatest answer imo tbh but I hope there’s change. It’s not uncommon at many vet school though and I have heard it’s not with every rotation during clinical year either. I’ve talked to UC Davis graduates who share the same story. It’s just Iowa students who took a stand and want better.

Learning more about ISU, i am interested in specializing and they have nearly every speciality besides Neuro which was way more than my waitlisted schools offered. If i decide I want to, i wanted to be exposed to the most amount of material as possible. Their professors are boarded and would be a great resource. The entire campus is connected too, from the anatomy lab to lectures to the small and large animal hospitals. When it’s -10 outside you never have to leave the building which my mom and I thought was a nice bonus as were from Sunny California . With their high NAVLE pass rate (interested to see it this year too) and what the program offers (research opportunities, diverse clubs, leadership roles) it became my best choice. I actually already asked a professor I met there to present my white coat as the vibe was just great. Plus I heard there are only like 3-5 vet schools that participate in the health professions student loan program with your parent info on FAFSA. If I’m lucky I’ll never have to take out the grad plus loan as an out of state student which helps a ton. Ideally I would’ve loved to get in to Oregon State as it’s close to home and the location is better. I’m waitlisted there and still waiting to see if I make it off the list, but I am more than happy with my acceptance and may actually still choose Iowa due to it being cheaper. Visiting really helped me make the decision and it’s only 4 years in the middle of no where in comparison to the rest of my career . I hope that helps!

this was amazing, thank you so much!!

this was amazing, thank you so much!!
Of course! I also just thought, everyone’s been talking about how unforgiving the school is when students don’t succeed which, rightfully so, is something to be worried about. One of the vets at my hospital was an ISU grad and put me in contact with 2 current first years and I asked their experience. They both told me it’s true but there are resources early on in the semester to hopefully help you before you’re in a hole - office hours, TAs in the labs, offered remedial exams to get you up to a C+ (May have stopped this during Covid though), tutoring is provided, an awesome counselor who’s office is on the vet campus but I believe also works with the undergrad, etc. Below a 2.0 puts you on academic probation and if you can’t get above a 2.5 it’s dismissal. I also talked to 2 recent grads who passed the NAVLE on their first try and believed the program prepared them well enough. One girl didn’t even do the prep course and relied on her clinical year experience to study (idk if I’ll be doing that lol). I also remember there was one girl on preview day, a 3rd year who TA’d for like 6 subjects bc she was just wicked smart lol and it sounds like they find students who do well and want others to do well too (and maybe the little pay was a nice incentive too). Like anywhere we’re probably going to find professors who don’t like to teach but I didn’t get that sitting and listening in the faculty panel. I did hear the Histology professor our first semester may be one of those but you didn’t hear that from me lol. Everyone has a different perspective and I value their experiences, but knowing those resources are there and hopefully trying to find a good study group will help me! We all made it this far so we’re all capable of succeeding! I have my cons about the school too but there were more pros after doing some digging.

hi! does anyone know how many seats are currently available or left for class if 2027 at this point? getting my hopes up as I am an OOS alternate but don’t want to be too hopeful if i don’t have a chance

hi! does anyone know how many seats are currently available or left for class if 2027 at this point? getting my hopes up as I am an OOS alternate but don’t want to be too hopeful if i don’t have a chance
I have asked about how many seats remain each time I’ve asked about waitlist movement- I have not received a response to that question. So I’m thinking that we won’t know until the class is full lol

Speaking of, if anyone would like to ask about waitlist movement today, that would be clutch 🤣

I feel like there will be another big jump today or tomorrow since anyone who was offered on Monday will have to commit by today

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if a facebook page has been made yet for the c/o 2027?

I feel like there will be another big jump today or tomorrow since anyone who was offered on Monday will have to commit by today
I got an offer Monday and had until noon today to respond if that helps anyone on timeframe.