Interviews, acceptances and rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all -
I applied for UMich's Gen Epi MPH program and I'm kind of freaking out that I haven't been contacted yet.
Would anyone who has heard from UMich mind replying with:
1) Date you submitted to SOPHAS
2) Date your app was sent to UMich
3) Date you got the "your decision will be made available online..." Email
4) Date you were accepted/rejected and how (phone, email, letter)?

Thanks and GL all!!

I submitted to SOPHAS in mid-November, it was sent out on November 11th, and they accepted me sometime in late Feb (close to the 22nd I think) through the Wolverine Access link. About a week later I recieved an admit package in the mail. I know that Epi just started the review process in mid-january for the MPH, and they make decisions on a rolling basis, so if you were a bit later just hang in there!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still waiting to hear back from berkeley (epi) and ucla (epi) as well!!! getting anxious...

Has anyone NOT heard from Berkeley (Epi)? I'm beginning to think it's just me...

Also still waiting on UCLA (Epi) - I saw that one person on grad cafe has heard, apparently? Anyone on here?

I am in the same boat. I am waiting on exactly both those programs from both schools. I was thinking to call and ask but I have a bad feeling about the result :rolleyes: I saw some posts on here where people mentioned being accepted into Berkeley's Epi program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,
Anyone out there heard anything from Ohio State U regarding MHA program? I am getting really nervous as I have not even gotten a call for an interview or anything? I appreciate your response as the nerves are starting to wear on me.

I was thinking to call and ask but I have a bad feeling about the result :rolleyes:.

Same - I know there's a strong possibility I may be rejected, and that's okay, but I don't want to hear it from a real person over the phone! Give me an email any day.

zose, thanks! I spoke with a current student (a friend, not a referral from the adcom) and she had lots of great things to say about the program, especially with regards to communication and policy. She did say the student body skewed younger than that of other schools, but it didn't detract from her experience. She also said she was blown away by how open and helpful the faculty are -- several faculty members actually set her up with job interviews!

What department are you considering at GW? I won't be at the open house -- living too far away right now to make a special trip. But I've lived in DC before and am very familiar with the area.

aspiringmph, I was accepted for an MPH in Epi and a Grad Certificate in Health Promotion at GW. I assumed that GW would be pretty good in terms of policy, just based on location. I am glad to hear that your friend had a great experience there and that the faculty really is supportive. I am planning on going to the open house, so I'll see how it is. I am not familiar with DC at all, but everyone I have spoken with seems to really like the city.

HOLY CRAP----I GOT INTO UIC (CHS). :eek: :D :p Just got the fat packet in the mail. I'm totally shocked.

But they want me to make my deposit by April 1.....??? Can they do that? I thought there's some policy that they can't make you decide before Apr 15. What's this Apr 1 business all about??

I also got into USF comm & fam health though, and although USF isn't ranked as high, the program and faculty actually appeal to me more at USF. Not sure what to do.... Suggestions, anyone?

Still haven't heard from BU yet, though, and BU has been my first choice.

Uggggh. This is tough.

EDIT: oh yeah, and if anyone knows anything about UIC or USF do share! PM me or tell us all, please.....

Last edited:
I'm also waiting to hear from UCLA Epi. I did hear from the Berkeley Epi program, and was accepted.

HOLY CRAP----I GOT INTO UIC (CHS). :eek: :D :p Just got the fat packet in the mail. I'm totally shocked.

But they want me to make my deposit by April 1.....??? Can they do that? I thought there's some policy that they can't make you decide before Apr 15. What's this Apr 1 business all about??

I also got into USF comm & fam health though, and although USF isn't ranked as high, the program and faculty actually appeal to me more at USF. Not sure what to do.... Suggestions, anyone?

Still haven't heard from BU yet, though, and BU has been my first choice.

Uggggh. This is tough.

EDIT: oh yeah, and if anyone knows anything about UIC or USF do share! PM me or tell us all, please.....

honeysuckle- When did you e-submit your application on SOPHAS and when did UIC receive it? UIC received my application on Feb 3 and I still havn't heard back from them. This worries me since you said you have to send them your deposit by April 1st. I was hoping their deadline would be after their open house so I could visit the school and speak with faculty before making a decision. Let me know if you have heard anything about their MPH program because I haven't been able to find out much. Thanks and Congrats!

honeysuckle- When did you e-submit your application on SOPHAS and when did UIC receive it? UIC received my application on Feb 3 and I still havn't heard back from them. This worries me since you said you have to send them your deposit by April 1st. I was hoping their deadline would be after their open house so I could visit the school and speak with faculty before making a decision. Let me know if you have heard anything about their MPH program because I haven't been able to find out much. Thanks and Congrats!

SOPHAS forwarded my application, which was still missing an LOR, on 1/28. They sent the final LOR on 2/4. UIC sent me an e-mail saying that was application was received on 2/13.

My initial thought regarding the 4/1 deposit deadline is that if it's rolling admissions, the deposit deadline they give you depends on when they send out your acceptance. So if they accept you later, then your deposit deadline is later....???? That's just a hunch though; not sure if I'm totally wrong or not. I'm gonna try asking them for an extension, anyway.

Good luck with your application!

I'm waiting on both UCLA and UC-Berkeley for Epi too. I don't know why they take forever and a day to sent out rejections/acceptances.

I called JHU today to ask about the duration of the review process, and the lady I spoke with told me that they have actually sent out notices for admission past the April 15th date... does that make any sense to anyone? Aren't the decisions supposed to be made BY 4/15? I was thoroughly confused.

Also, any advice on rankings of schools and how that should play into decisions? I got accepted to UC Davis' 1 year MPH program, and it was enticing because I want to apply to med school as well during that year...
but I also got into Cal's Epi MPH program, which is quite well ranked (I don't know UC Davis' status since their program is so new; does anyone have any idea?)...

Will it be worth it to stick it out 2 years at Berkeley if the ranking of the MPH school will open better doors for future MPH-dependent MD careers, or does just having the degree count?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone on their decisions/notifications.

zose, good luck to you in making your choice!

Re: JHU and late admittances -- My friend was waitlisted last year and only accepted on June 15, a mere two weeks before the program began. She declined. But I think if they are going to string you along for so long, they at least officially waitlist you rather than leaving you totally in the dark.

I think rankings are fine but to take them with a grain of salt given the odd methodologies often employed. I always felt that a brand name can help you get in the door for an interview but once you are there you need to prove what you can actually do, and that's where the actual quality of education and experience comes in. Brand names also seem more important for careers in academia and research rather than applied science. I don't know much about the schools on the west coast so I can't give an opinion re: Davis vs. Berkeley.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shocked to get an acceptance from HSPH this morning - was sure that I would be rejected when so many acceptances had been sent out. Also got accepted in early January from UNC, but will be declining.

My stats:

3.3 -ish undergrad GPA
PhD in Phyisiology
3 month internship at the WHO, but no real public health experience otherwise.

Is anyone going to the open house?

Big high-five to all who have been accepted, and good luck to those who are still waiting.

Where are you finding your Columbia acceptance? Online?

They are being posted online. You have to sign in to the "my application" page, and then there is a link that will be posted on the bottom of the front page. (Click on link, and voila - answer!) Some links have been posted at midnight. Mine wasn't - I checked last night at 12:45 am, this morning when I woke up, and then on a whim looked at about 4:45 pm and my link was there. (Global Public Health Policy & Mgmt) Good luck!

Got accepted to Minnesota today via a voicemail. I already decided on Michigan, but Minnesota was definately my second choice. Their program, faculty, and campus look great.

I applied late because of LORs (and general ack, do I really want to go through with this? yes, I do, but the money, egads!). Columbia was complete on 1/5, the due date. Emory, GWU, and Tulane were complete 1/12 but sent out 1/28.

I was accepted to:
Tulane (the letter says 2/17) and got the package 3/3. IHD.
GWU by e-mail on 3/6. Still waiting on the package. GH.

I was rejected by:
Columbia on 3/10 (when everyone else heard). GH. It was a reach, so I'm not particularly surprised.

Haven't heard back from Emory. I'm slightly concerned. It's been just over five weeks since they told me it was complete and sent to the Global Health department.

Has anyone heard anything financial from Tulane? My FAFSA was sent end of January when I filed my taxes, but I couldn't send the addendum until I got the package obviously. And GW seems like you'll get some financial info in the package? Am I right?

I applied late because of LORs (and general ack, do I really want to go through with this? yes, I do, but the money, egads!). Columbia was complete on 1/5, the due date. Emory, GWU, and Tulane were complete 1/12 but sent out 1/28.

I was accepted to:
Tulane (the letter says 2/17) and got the package 3/3. IHD.
GWU by e-mail on 3/6. Still waiting on the package. GH.

I was rejected by:
Columbia on 3/10 (when everyone else heard). GH. It was a reach, so I'm not particularly surprised.

Haven't heard back from Emory. I'm slightly concerned. It's been just over five weeks since they told me it was complete and sent to the Global Health department.

Has anyone heard anything financial from Tulane? My FAFSA was sent end of January when I filed my taxes, but I couldn't send the addendum until I got the package obviously. And GW seems like you'll get some financial info in the package? Am I right?

I didnt have anything financial from my package from GW, and haven't heard anything from Tulane either. Sorry. i thought the waiting to hear where I was accepted would drive me nuts, but now the financial aid stuff is even harder.

I didnt have anything financial from my package from GW, and haven't heard anything from Tulane either. Sorry. i thought the waiting to hear where I was accepted would drive me nuts, but now the financial aid stuff is even harder.

Man! The FinAid dep't at GW said that the loan application wouldn't be up until the end of March, so if they're waiting on that to put together an aid package, then there's no way that we'll know before April 15th. Hard to make a decision without knowing financial details - and that's why I thought there might be something in the acceptance package.

Hi all!

I'm new here. My status:
undergrad GPA:3.54 (Biology)
GRE: V 500 Q 800 AW 4.5
TOEFL: 108
No work experience.

I was accepted by:
OSU: Epi, MPH via email on Jan, 14
UPitts: Biostat, PhD(admission only, no funding...) via email on Jan, 17
JHSPH: General Epidemiology and Methodology, MHS via website on Feb, 4
Columbia: Biostat, MPH via website on Mar, 10

Rejected by:
UNC: Biostat, MS via postal mail, dated Feb, 10
HSPH: Biostat, SM2 via email linking to website on Mar 10, disappointed indeed...

Still waiting:
UMich, UCLA, UC Berkeley

I am now considering whether to choose the Epi MHS of JHSPH or the Biostat MPH of Columbia. Would someone give me some advice, please? Thank you!:)

Last edited:
Any of you the UCLA PhD Epi acceptance on gradcafe? Or the lone MPH Epi acceptance from March 6 (as far as I know they hadn't notified for that yet...as of March 6, when it was asked of at the open house)?

got acceptance to umass for MSc epi . I noticed the school is not highly ranked by usnews but does anyone have any useful info on the school's faculty, the strength of their epi program and living in Amherst in general.
can't visit the school cos I'm an international student based in africa.

got acceptance to umass for MSc epi . I noticed the school is not highly ranked by usnews but does anyone have any useful info on the school's faculty, the strength of their epi program and living in Amherst in general.
can't visit the school cos I'm an international student based in africa.

Epigrace, I PM'ed you!

Just got my acceptance to BU SBS. :) 10K merit award.

I really, really wanna go to Boston, but I'm hesitant about the price of tuition in spite of the merit award. Not sure if it's worth it to shell out so much money for tuition if the school isn't in the top 10. I'm also nervous after reading so many complaints about BU on this board.

I don't think I'll pick UIC. I think it's really between Boston and USF at this point, and I'd still rather go to Boston. I'm pretty torn, though....

Waitlisted at UNC. It's funny, before I got the e-mail I was very, very happy with where I'd been accepted but now I think I'm just having that natural feeling of being disappointed not to have yet more options. On the upside, this makes my school decision process quite a bit easier.

Last edited:
Just got accepted into BU with 10k merit award :D

I'm all over the place - I have to decide among the following:

Hopkins - Social & Behavioral Sci
UNC - Environmental Health (+ RA/TA position)
Umich - Epidemiology
BU - Environmental Health (+scholarship)
Yale - Chronic Disease Epidemiology

I have no clue what I want now... :confused:

Just got my acceptance to BU SBS. :) 10K merit award.

I really, really wanna go to Boston, but I'm hesitant about the price of tuition in spite of the merit award. Not sure if it's worth it to shell out so much money for tuition if the school isn't in the top 10. I'm also nervous after reading so many complaints about BU on this board.

I don't think I'll pick UIC. I think it's really between Boston and USF at this point, and I'd still rather go to Boston. I'm pretty torn, though....

BU alum here. I loved my time at BU, and I can definitely recommend the Epi program. I don't know much about SB as I only took the required course for the MPH. The city is wonderful, the epi faculty was fantastic, and I loved the fact that I had the opportunity to be a Research Assistant, as well.

I'm not sure what your concerns are, let me know so I can address them as much as I can.

Umich - Epidemiology

The one thing to keep in mind about BU is that the EH department is very small. There are few students, but there are number of fantastic faculty (Dick Clapp and Mike McClean come to mind). Also, BU gives you flexibility to double concentrate as well as switch to another department if you're unhappy.

I did both Epi and EH, and I loved it. The city is also phenomenal.

Well, I'm a new member, hoping to join an mph program, but not too hopeful.

I've got reject from Columbia, and still waiting on UCLA, USC, and UCI all epi.
I've got a 2.9 overall ( 3.4 last 2 years), 1200 on gre ( 560v, 640m), and lots of research and local extricurrics, but no overwhelming experience ( IE a summer in Ghana). I initially though I was a decent candidate because of my resume and research, but I'm not hopeful anymore. I just wish UCLA would send their stuff. That open house last week was useless.

I just wish UCLA would send their stuff. That open house last week was useless.

While it was enjoyable to see the campus and tour the new high-throughput lab (so cool!), I have to agree a bit. Most of the information could easily have been found on their website.

More frustrating that they said they would notify this past week and still no word... Why is epi so slow???

Wait till you hear from Umich......... Great school.... Good luck...

Umich - Epidemiology

Well, I'm a new member, hoping to join an mph program, but not too hopeful.

I've got reject from Columbia, and still waiting on UCLA, USC, and UCI all epi.
I've got a 2.9 overall ( 3.4 last 2 years), 1200 on gre ( 560v, 640m), and lots of research and local extricurrics, but no overwhelming experience ( IE a summer in Ghana). I initially though I was a decent candidate because of my resume and research, but I'm not hopeful anymore. I just wish UCLA would send their stuff. That open house last week was useless.

I think your GRE math score could be a barrier. I know most programs like to see in the 700 range, and a solid science GPA. Good luck!

My gre score was a bit odd. I took about 5 practice tests, and scored between 700-750 on all of them, and the day of the test came.. and no dice. One math sections was quite doable, and another was way more difficult, but obviously, I don't know which was the graded one ( although I can assume).

Practically all of my gpa is science, but I really hurt on the physics (First two years, and I simply didn't try at all), and high level math (lin. algebra/infinite series/differential equations). I don't know exactly, but my bio gpa is about 3.2.

At this point, I just want to know the result, positive or negative, so I can prepare for the next journey. Schools delaying my rejection are just wasting my time! But who knows, maybe they'll really like my 6 A's in pb health courses ;)

Still havent heard anything from...
Columbia (stated decisions would be completed by 3-15)
Harvard (stated by mid-march)
Iowa (stated decisions by 3-15)
BU

So - is that a good thing, bad thing? should I expect to hear everything tomorrow since the 15th fell on a Sunday? So anxious!!!

Notified by
Johns Hopkins
UMich
UCLA
UWash (rejected)
Berkeley (rejected)

still haven't heard anything from UCLA or Berkeley both for epi

I hope UCLA decisions come out this week. Anyone but me apply to UCI?

Accepted to GWU today for Maternal and Child Health :). I will be going to their Open House on March 28.

At 6pm recieved two emails notifying me that I could log in to view my decision for global health - unfortunatly it was not what I was hoping for

In!
Hopkins
Boston University
Tufts
George Washington
Tulane
Emory

Too good for:

University of Washington
University of Arizona

Still Waiting:

Harvard

In!
Hopkins
Boston University
Tufts
George Washington
Tulane
Emory

Too good for:

University of Washington
University of Arizona

Still Waiting:

Harvard

:smack: UW is a phenomenal school. Their Epi department in particular is spectacular. U of A also does very good work in community and intervention health. Please be more respectful of other programs just because you don't think they are "worthy" of you.

:smack: UW is a phenomenal school. Their Epi department in particular is spectacular. U of A also does very good work in community and intervention health. Please be more respectful of other programs just because you don't think they are "worthy" of you.

I think that was their humorous way of saying they were rejected? It didn't sound like they were being disrespectful.

I agree with ImPublicHealthy. I think it was just the person's way of saying they were rejected from both schools.

I agree with ImPublicHealthy. I think it was just the person's way of saying they were rejected from both schools.

Haha! Sorry if I offended anyone! In plainer words, to make that more clear- yes, those are the schools that rejected me. I know UW is a phenomenal school, and actually, it was my first choice. I'm just making lemonade... :laugh:

Haha! Sorry if I offended anyone! In plainer words, to make that more clear- yes, those are the schools that rejected me. I know UW is a phenomenal school, and actually, it was my first choice. I'm just making lemonade... :laugh:

Yeah, I knew you were joking, too. ;)

Oh okay! Sorry, about the confusion, I thought you were being serious and saying you were too good to go to those schools. :eek: Please don't hate me :love:

More good news! I'm 6 for 6 now - and that's it! Now I just have to pick...

UNC (envir health), Yale (chronic disease epid), Michigan (epid), Hopkins (intl health), BU (envir health), and MIT (envir engineering)

Any input would be greatly appreciated! (post or PM)

hey! congratulations!.. how much didcha score on your gre?
i'd appled to minn to but got a reject..sadly

hey.. didcha get any replies bout how A & M is ?.. i wana know more about its funding options..i've gotten in too ..