Interviews, acceptances and rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied (and was accepted) to UMinn Epi, and December 15 was the priority deadline. The final deadline is April 15th.

Edit: Yeah, what she/he said above. LOL

drjm - I say go for it!

thanks for the support kurly..
definately plan to follow up on dat 1..:D
what do u say to tulane though?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello ppl.........
ADMIT- Emory, NYU, Drexel, Brown, Univ. of Pittsburgh
DECISION- Brown................(still confused though)

Anyone going to Brown?? I guess the program is really good. Though it doesnt have a school but the there are a lot of opportunities. What do you all think abt it??

I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice/guidance on the LSHTM. Your comments were quite helpful. It seems as if those who have heard of the LSHTM would consider it equal to Hopkins/Harvard in terms of educational quality. The question then is whether future employers/admissions committees will have heard of the London School or not. It seems as if in the US (and perhaps South America?) this may indeed be a problem, but in the Eastern Hemisphere (especially, Europe, Africa, and Australia; don't know about Asia), this won't be much of an issue...

Anyway, I am still thinking about it, so if you have any more comments about the LSHTM, please do share. Otherwise, thanks again for the information -- it is nice to have a forum where I can ask about my concerns and get thoughtful answers in response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone...

I'm a first time poster...Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances

This is where it stands for me:
ACCEPTANCES: Emory, BU (with merit award), Drexel
STILL WAITING: U Albany, Loma Linda (interview on Wednesday)
DECISION: Most Likely Emory although it is so expensive

What does everybody else think about these schools for an MPH in Global Health?

hey kiwiwatermelon-

im also deciding between lshtm and a few schools in the us (hopkins, emory, michigan, yale, bu). i had it narrowed down between hopkins and london but got a merit scholarship for bu yesterday. :/

have you decided on which school you will attend or have you learned anything insightful that you could share with me re: lshtm that isnt already on this thread?

many thanks.

Hey oshi,

I just PM'ed you. I think it went through but I'm new to SDN so if I messed up, please let me know and I can try again. Also, are there other people here who want to discuss the LSHTM and prefer we not resort to PMs so that they can see what we're saying? If so, please post on this thread and we will continue sharing information publicly. Otherwise, I guess we have now entered the PM'ing world.

Thank you!

Hey oshi,

I just PM'ed you. I think it went through but I'm new to SDN so if I messed up, please let me know and I can try again. Also, are there other people here who want to discuss the LSHTM and prefer we not resort to PMs so that they can see what we're saying? If so, please post on this thread and we will continue sharing information publicly. Otherwise, I guess we have now entered the PM'ing world.

Thank you!
Good Day Everyone,
Just wanted to drop in and mention that there are individuals (myself included) who are quite interested in LSHTM, and would appreciate hearing any opinions on the school as well as the degree. Thanks again.

Hey there,

I am in the exact situation as several members on this board. I am actually a third year undergraduate, but I am graduating this year with my B.S. Degree in Biology and I will be attending medical school next year. I was accepted to several prestigious U.S. public health institutions, but LSHTM was my top choice program. Has anyone made a final decision? I really anticipate going to London because it is a one-year MSc. degree and I understand that it is a very prestigious school. I'm really excited but I have not visited London before. Anyway, congratulations to everyone (and thanks for the contributions!)

Hello again,

Thank you for all the information and help regarding the London School. Krishna and Entropy003, I have PM'ed you both with the information below, but it seems that people would prefer that we post any comments we have about the LSHTM here so that they can see it as well. From what we've all discussed and heard, it seems that it is an excellent school and those who have heard of it say it is equal to the top schools within the US (such as Hopkins or Harvard). People who went there say the education was nothing short of amazing.

However, since I last posted, I have spoken to a few people in public health within the US who haven't heard of the London School. Also, since the School is not in the US, it is not CEPH accredited, and some jobs are for graduates of CEPH-accredited schools only. It's a silly and narrow-minded thing to ask for, but unfortunately, some employers do ask for it, though I suspect that reasoning with them could cause them to make an exception for the London School. It seems then that it is possible that within the US, the LSHTM would not open quite as many doors as Hopkins/Harvard would. But perhaps, this barrier can be overcome.

As far as the MPH vs. the MSc question goes, I don't think that one degree is really considered to be better than the other. However, some people say the MS in the US is regarded to be more rigorous than the MPH, so I guess that, if anything, the MSc would be an advantage over the MPH.

This is all the new information I have regarding the London School. Honestly, it seems like it is a wonderful place. And it provides a truly diverse group of people to interact with, more so than any other school of public health in the world, I think. Your peers come from all walks of life and all corners of the world. And because of this, the learning environment is very stimulating; so you cannot go wrong with choosing it.

If anyone has any more information about the LSHTM please do post about it here. I hope this information will help others who are in our situation.

Thanks again!

in case this helps people:

berkeley: denied (applied late)
ucla: denied
usc: accepted
osu: accepted
tulane: accepted
gwu: accepted

choice: osu

Hey guys, this is my first post on the student doctor forum. :)

I have applied to 33 dental schools for the fall 2010 entrance. I just got my first INTERVIEW EMAIL!!! Boston University emailed me today letting me know that I was accepted for an interview!