Interviews, acceptances and rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey.. didcha get any replies bout how A & M is ?.. i wana know more about its funding options..i've gotten in too ..

I also got into A&M. Please pass along any information you find out regarding funding. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just received an acceptance to the NYU MPH program in Community Health. I was wondering if anyone else is considering this program and if you know anything about it in general?

Thanks

Final tally in, for the most part. You know, except the UCs.

Want me:

Minnesota (Epi)
Michigan (Epi)
BU (Epi)
Emory (Environmental and Occupational Health)
UCLA (EHS)

Don't want me:
University of Washington (Epi)
Harvard University (Epi)
Emory (Epi)
Berkeley (Epi)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All for Epi:

Yes

NYMC
BU
Yale (CDE)
Columbia

No

Harvard (SM2)

Will most likely be at Yale in the Fall.

Accepted to:
Hopkins (epi)
Cal (epi)
UC Davis
USC

Waiting on:
UCLA
Stanford (MS in clinical epi)

i didn't send in FAFSA or any other apps for $... is it still too late?

suggestions on whether Hopkins or Cal is better for epi?

Accepted:
Minnesota
UMDNJ
Drexel
St Louis U
UIC
GWU

Waitlisted:
BU

STILL waiting:
Michigan

I'm deciding between Michigan (if I get in), GW, UIC, SLU and Drexel...

All programs are Health Behavior/Comm Health/Education programs. Haven't made a decision...if ANY one has some advice about these programs or what you've heard, please let me know! I went to SLU's open house and have lived in DC, and have visited U-Mich many times so I can share some insight too :)

some of these are not technically at schools of public health, but the focus is similar (molecular epi/biostats)

Accepted:
Wash U St. Louis (PhD statistical genetics)
Harvard (masters epi)
UW (PhD)
UW (PHG masters)
USC (PhD statistical genetics)

Rejected:
Yale (PhD)

Waiting...seriously, when can I call to ask for a refund on the application fee, because I swear they must have lost it or something:
Johns Hopkins (PhD)
Berkeley (PhD)
~meh, these ones weren't a good fit anyways

Ack, decisions! While they may seem all over the board, there's congruency to me...it just makes the decision harder

some of these are not technically at schools of public health, but the focus is similar (molecular epi/biostats)

Accepted:
Wash U St. Louis (PhD statistical genetics)
Harvard (masters epi)
UW (PhD)
UW (PHG masters)
USC (PhD statistical genetics)

Rejected:
Yale (PhD)

Waiting...seriously, when can I call to ask for a refund on the application fee, because I swear they must have lost it or something:
Johns Hopkins (PhD)
Berkeley (PhD)
~meh, these ones weren't a good fit anyways

Ack, decisions! While they may seem all over the board, there's congruency to me...it just makes the decision harder

Your application either must be strongly considered for acceptance or applications lost at Hopkins and Berkeley because I was rejected at both schools (PhD, as well).

Guess it's around time I posted my schools. All applications were sent out to SPHs for a PhD in Epidemiology/Environmental Epidemiology. I definitely applied to a lot of schools because I really had no idea what kinds of schools I'd get into (if at all) and how much funding I'd get from each school.

Accepted
Arizona
Illinois-Chicago
Oklahoma
Yale

Rejected
Harvard
Hopkins
Michigan
Minnesota
Pittsburgh
UC-Berkeley
UCLA

Still Waiting
Colorado (interviewed)
Drexel
Maryland
Saint Louis
San Diego State

Doesn't matter at all because I'm going to Yale (which was my #1 choice).

Stories - when did you hear back from UCLA? Did you apply to Epi or Environmental Health Sciences?

A lot of us Epi folk (mostly MPHers) are anxiously awaiting decisions from UCLA!

Got accepted to Hopkins MPH and the Yale Advanced Professional MPH in Global Health. In a bit of trouble as to where to go? What do you guys think? The increased brand recognition of Yale or the high position in ratings of Hopkins?

I am a doctor from Asia hoping to find a job in the US/ Europe/ Australia after the degree.

Thanks

Got accepted to Hopkins MPH and the Yale Advanced Professional MPH in Global Health. In a bit of trouble as to where to go? What do you guys think? The increased brand recognition of Yale or the high position in ratings of Hopkins?

Hopkins, without a doubt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to PhD in Epi at UCLA.

Choosing between:

Harvard (obvsiouly would be a great choice)
UW (where I am currently, would take less time to complete PhD)
UCLA (have personal reasons for wanting to be there)

Any insight welcomed.

Stories

may i know what are ur statistics- i mean gre,gpa ,exp?

Your application either must be strongly considered for acceptance or applications lost at Hopkins and Berkeley because I was rejected at both schools (PhD, as well).

Thanks for the insight, I think I'll try to contact them both on Monday, this is getting ridiculous, I feel the application fees at least entitle me to some sort of response :)

So I finally heard back from UCLA Epi--I was accepted :) Still waiting on Berkeley and Yale (same programs)

I was also accepted to London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine for their MS in Public Health program.

Accepted
GW
UMICH
EMORY
DREXEL

Rejected
UIC
Hopkins
UNC
Yale

For those accepted into UNC and Hopkins what are your backgrounds and stats?

Accepted
GW
UMICH
EMORY
DREXEL

Rejected
UIC
Hopkins
UNC
Yale

For those accepted into UNC and Hopkins what are your backgrounds and stats?

Which program and concentration did you apply to for UNC?

Still haven't heard back from Hopkins, but I was accepted to Harvard and UNC, both for MPH's in Global Health.

My stats are:

Undergrad GPA: 3.2
GRE: 800Q/730V/6A
MCAT: 31R
Completing PhD
Minimal experience, except for an internship at the WHO

I know this says Masters, but I didn't see a place to put PhD news for public health! I got accepted via mail on 3/23/09.

I got my MSPH at USF, if anyone has any questions about that school...

Also, I would love to talk to MPH folks attending UIC. I want to make new friends in the glorious town of Chicago! I am still waiting to hear from a program at Northwestern that I interviewed for, but, I'm starting to reconsider holding my breath!

Congratulations to everyone,
Josie :oops:

I know this says Masters, but I didn't see a place to put PhD news for public health! I got accepted via mail on 3/23/09.

I got my MSPH at USF, if anyone has any questions about that school...

Also, I would love to talk to MPH folks attending UIC. I want to make new friends in the glorious town of Chicago! I am still waiting to hear from a program at Northwestern that I interviewed for, but, I'm starting to reconsider holding my breath!

Congratulations to everyone,
Josie :oops:

Congrats, I was officially accepted to UIC for Epi PhD last week :). I already knew I was accepted weeks ago since they phoned me prior, but it was exciting to get accepted to more programs (even if I have to decline). I'm not attending, but congrats to you!

I emailed the Epi department at UCLA asking about the status of my application and they informed that I was accepted for the MPH. So for those who are still waiting from UCLA I suggest you email them!

Submitted application to UNC Health Care and Prevention on 2/21. Was in contact with the director of the program and arranged to visit on 3/9, but it turned into a sort of informal interview (which is what I expected would happen). Got a call later that day to tell me I was accepted! :D Got my letter on 3/14.

Stats:
MCAT 29Q
Undergrad GPA 3.9
Med school GPA 3.5
Public health experience only via extracurriculars, but I had great letters of rec and a pretty kick-ass PS (IMO) ;)

Also submitted SOPHAS on 3/1 and was accepted at Tulane (Community Health) and U Pitt (Multidisciplinary) last week via letter, no interview or phone call. Applied to GW but decided not to complete their time-consuming secondary app because UNC is my top choice. Haven't heard back from U Minnesota or USF.

I guess Boston is still sending out acceptances. I received a snail mail letter dated 3/25 for MPH epi with the $10k merit award.

Accepted:
Hopkins (MS)
Columbia
BU ($10,000 Merit award)
UCLA ($10,000 Scholarship)
Michigan
Iowa

Rejected:
Harvard
UWash
Berkeley

Hello,

Sorry: I have also posted this under the HSPH thread because I wasn't sure where would be more appropriate to ask.

I have (very luckily) received acceptances from the MPH program at Johns Hopkins and Harvard. Also, I have been accepted into the MSc program in Public Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM). Since the LSHTM is far cheaper than Hopkins and Harvard (and since I like London), I have been considering attending the LSHTM, but I am not sure what sort of reputation it has. The problem seems to be that few people in the US have heard of it. So my question is: is the LSHTM considered to be as good as Harvard and Hopkins? Would you consider going there over going to Harvard or Hopkins or is not considered to be on the same level as they are?

One more question: is it a problem that the degree offered by the LSHTM is the MSc in Public Health and not the MPH? It seems that at the London School, the MPhil is equal to an MS in the US, because both are more geared towards research, while the MSc is on a par with the MPH because both are geared towards policy. Is this correct? Or is an MPH preferable to an MSc (as opposed to being equal to it)?

Thank you very much for your help. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all of you in your decision-making.

Hello,

One more question: is it a problem that the degree offered by the LSHTM is the MSc in Public Health and not the MPH? It seems that at the London School, the MPhil is equal to an MS in the US, because both are more geared towards research, while the MSc is on a par with the MPH because both are geared towards policy. Is this correct? Or is an MPH preferable to an MSc (as opposed to being equal to it)?

What the degree is called doesn't really matter. If a job description specifies an MPH, you could always explain in your cover letter that the MSc curriculum is equivalent. I think in those cases, the employer probably doesn't mean they'll only accept an MPH, they just assume that MPH covers all public health Master's degree types.

What the degree is called doesn't really matter. If a job description specifies an MPH, you could always explain in your cover letter that the MSc curriculum is equivalent. I think in those cases, the employer probably doesn't mean they'll only accept an MPH, they just assume that MPH covers all public health Master's degree types.

At schools in the US, an MPH is a professional degree that is multidisciplinary. Curricula dictate this as does CEPH (the governing body of PH education in the US). MPH degrees require at least the core classes in every core discipline of PH regardless of what your concentration is.

The MSPH and MS/MSc are very different than the MPH. They are non-terminal academic degrees geared towards research. The MPhil is also an academic degree. Generally speaking, MS/MSc/MPhil do not require additional classes outside of the concentration you are in (Biostat, Epi, etc.).

What I just said is true of US schools. I don't know how they differ in the UK.

Last edited:
At schools in the US, an MPH and MSPH are considered parallel degrees. They are both terminal professional degrees that are multidisciplinary. Curricula dictate this as does CEPH (the governing body of PH education in the US). MPH and MSPH degrees thus require at least the core classes in every core discipline of PH regardless of what your concentration is.
What I just said is true of US schools. I don't know how they differ in the UK.

The MPH and MSPH are not always considered terminal degrees. There are several schools that do not offer a MS option and therefore the MPH is used as the stepping stone to a PhD. Also, I don't know about other schools, but the MSPH in Epi at UNC is a non-terminal degree, essentially a formality for those who have been accepted to the PhD program without a prior Master's. So, there are no hard and fast rules to the intent of these degrees.

Emory has posted financial aid information on OPUS, it seems!

Just a bunch of loans/workstudy for me, but maybe others will have better luck?

I have not heard from Emory in terms of financial aid, but I did call Rollins and I spoke to a lady who said that the first "round" of financial aid in the form of merit awards had been sent out last week and she told me to wait till the end of the week to see if I was chosen to receive any. She said once the first set of offers have been accepted/rejected, then they may send out a second round of financial aid to distribute whatever money was not accepted in the first round of offers. So far I haven't gotten anything, so... I guess that means I'm not getting any aid from them.

Accepted:
JHU: MPH
Berkeley: MPH
UC Davis: MPH
USC: MPH
UCLA: MPH
Stanford: MS in clinical epi

Six for six! Now... for the decision post...

The MPH and MSPH are not always considered terminal degrees. There are several schools that do not offer a MS option and therefore the MPH is used as the stepping stone to a PhD. Also, I don't know about other schools, but the MSPH in Epi at UNC is a non-terminal degree, essentially a formality for those who have been accepted to the PhD program without a prior Master's. So, there are no hard and fast rules to the intent of these degrees.

Apologies, the MSPH is the academic degree and the MPH is the professional degree.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the guidance about the different degrees. I think one of the confusing points, unfortunately, is that I am not sure if these descriptions are true for schools in the UK (although they are certainly accurate for schools in the US). Does anyone know specifically about how an MSc in Public Health from a UK school compares to an MPH from an American one? Also, does anyone have any comments about whether the LSHTM's reputation is equal to that of Harvard/Hopkins or whether it is not considered to be on the same level as those two schools?

Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Thank you very much for the guidance about the different degrees. I think one of the confusing points, unfortunately, is that I am not sure if these descriptions are true for schools in the UK (although they are certainly accurate for schools in the US). Does anyone know specifically about how an MSc in Public Health from a UK school compares to an MPH from an American one? Also, does anyone have any comments about whether the LSHTM's reputation is equal to that of Harvard/Hopkins or whether it is not considered to be on the same level as those two schools?

Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Ultimately, I don't think it really matters which degree it is. As far as I can tell, according to this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Public_Health#Universities_in_Europe I didn't see LSHTM on the list of accredited by CEPH programs/schools.

Does anyone know specifically about how an MSc in Public Health from a UK school compares to an MPH from an American one?

I would pull up the curricula for the MSc and MPH (Harvard, Hopkins, whereever) and compare the core requirements.

Also, does anyone have any comments about whether the LSHTM's reputation is equal to that of Harvard/Hopkins or whether it is not considered to be on the same level as those two schools?

I wish I could help you with this, but from what I can tell (from when I was researching schools in England a few years back) LSHTM is very highly respected, but not very well known in the States. I think the same could probably be said for Hopkins over in the UK/Europe. So, if you plan on working in the US after completing your degree, you may want to consider going to school here. If you plan to work in the UK or other parts of Europe, probably LSHTM or Harvard would be your better bets. They're all great schools, so I would look more at the curriculum and faculty as the deciding factor - Does the program allow for plenty of electives? Are there more than a couple profs who share your interests?

Ultimately, I don't think it really matters which degree it is. As far as I can tell, according to this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Public_Health#Universities_in_Europe I didn't see LSHTM on the list of accredited by CEPH programs/schools.

That's because the CEPH only accredits US schools. That list isn't of CEPH-accredited European schools, it's a separate subcategory, as are the lists of schools in other countries/continents. See the outline near the top of the entry.

I agree with Kurly.

LSHTM is very well respected in UK and europe as well as Oz and New Zealand. It is currently ranked Number 1 in UK.

It really depends where you want to settle and work? Once you tell us about that we can guide you better.

I would pull up the curricula for the MSc and MPH (Harvard, Hopkins, whereever) and compare the core requirements.

I wish I could help you with this, but from what I can tell (from when I was researching schools in England a few years back) LSHTM is very highly respected, but not very well known in the States. I think the same could probably be said for Hopkins over in the UK/Europe. So, if you plan on working in the US after completing your degree, you may want to consider going to school here. If you plan to work in the UK or other parts of Europe, probably LSHTM or Harvard would be your better bets. They're all great schools, so I would look more at the curriculum and faculty as the deciding factor - Does the program allow for plenty of electives? Are there more than a couple profs who share your interests?

I've applied for health policy and management. i wanna make sure i keep my options open to come back to india... JHSPH is affiliated to the Public Health Foundation of India, so I'm hoping to pursue research focussing on issues in the indian context.... Actually all of the schools ive applied to offer such research opportunities... so thats how i hope to customize my degree.
I've applied to Columbia, Yale, Emory, UPItt, UMinnesota, UMichigan, Berkeley, JHSPH and Carnegie. I've been accedpted to BU so far. Waiting on the rest.

Hi Ilovecoffee.I was wondering if you could let me know where you got the info about JHSPH`s affiliation.Although I`ve not applied there but even I want to keep my options in india open.I`ve been accepted to University of south florida(global+epi),Temple University,SUNY Buffalo.Which of these should I be looking at with regards to affiliation if i come back to India?

Thanx in advance

hi everyone..

im in a predicament..actually getting greedy.My current application status is...

Accepted-
South Florida
Temple University
SUNY Buffalo

Waiting for response-
BU
GWU

However no funding from any of the schools

My profile-GRE-1170(evenly b/w verbal and quant),GPA-3.3,no proper work ex.fresh out of medical school.internship in medical centre for a few months.

I was wondering if I can still apply to Tulane and uni of minnesota.Earlier considering my profile,I thought it was a bad idea but now that I have got an acceptance ,I wanted to try my luck in especially in Tulane.I wanted to know that since their admission is on a rolling basis,what are my chances of getting in if I apply now?

Thank you so much for the info :)

It would be too late to apply to the Univ. of Minnesota because their deadline was on December 15th. Although Tulane's admission is on a rolling basis the likelihood of you being accepted at this point is very slim. However, I would advise you to contact admissions to see whether it's worthwhile to apply. Good luck!

I dont think i saw so many people who made UW their top choice. It was mine and was totally disappointed about not getting in. Im thinking of reapplying for the following year because I dont know if its worth going into this field unless its the top school for GH. What do you all think?

In (GH):
Emory
BU
GW

Out:
Harvard
UW

Also, how does everyone expect to pay off all those freaking loans?!??!?!

I thought the U Minn final deadline was 4/15 and priority was 12/15. Might be a good idea to contact the program there at this point.

I dont think i saw so many people who made UW their top choice. It was mine and was totally disappointed about not getting in. Im thinking of reapplying for the following year because I dont know if its worth going into this field unless its the top school for GH. What do you all think?

You made it into Emory. Emory and Hopkins are the top.

Hi Ilovecoffee.I was wondering if you could let me know where you got the info about JHSPH`s affiliation.Although I`ve not applied there but even I want to keep my options in india open.I`ve been accepted to University of south florida(global+epi),Temple University,SUNY Buffalo.Which of these should I be looking at with regards to affiliation if i come back to India?

Thanx in advance

drjm - i'm not sure about any of these instititions being affliated to PHFI. Check the PHFI website...

It would be too late to apply to the Univ. of Minnesota because their deadline was on December 15th. Although Tulane's admission is on a rolling basis the likelihood of you being accepted at this point is very slim. However, I would advise you to contact admissions to see whether it's worthwhile to apply. Good luck!

Thanx 4 ur opinion on Tulane:).would definately look into that..However, 15 dec was the priority dadline for U Minnessota..I can apply till 15 april..what do you think now?

It would be too late to apply to the Univ. of Minnesota because their deadline was on December 15th.

I applied (and was accepted) to UMinn Epi, and December 15 was the priority deadline. The final deadline is April 15th.

Edit: Yeah, what she/he said above. LOL

drjm - I say go for it!

Also, how does everyone expect to pay off all those freaking loans?!??!?!

I'm counting on using the NIH loan forgiveness program for health disparities research. There's a post around here that talks about paying back loans. I think it's called "Where's the Money?".