Interviews, acceptances and rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been accepted to CH program at UIC? If you have, by when did you receive the application received email?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I was accepted to the HMP at UMich...still no word on financial aid though. Any chance you've heard something in that regard?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Any chance they've gotten back to you re. financial aid? I was accepted to HMP but haven't heard anything on $$ front.

Unfortunately, no word on financial aid. I just submitted my FAFSA to them like 2 days ago though.

I was accepted to UNC's HBHE MPH program yesterday. :)

For those that have heard from Berkeley, when did you send in your application? And when were you notified that it was being looked at? I don't know how much more I can take of checking my email every 10 minutes...................

For those that have heard from Berkeley, when did you send in your application? And when were you notified that it was being looked at? I don't know how much more I can take of checking my email every 10 minutes...................

I haven't heard from Berkeley or UCLA and I submitted my applications mid-November. I also check my email very often and make sure I check first thing in the morning and last thing before going to sleep. I only received random emails that my application is complete and being forwarded to my dept's (Epi for both). When I see the subject line my heart skips a beat :p

I emailed UCLA epi are working through mph for the nxt 2-3 wks

Summary thus far (all MPH):

Accepted (listed in order of notification)
UNC - envr (+ RA/TA offer)
Yale - chronic disease epidemiology
Hopkins - international health SBI
Umich - general epidemiology

Waiting on:
Boston University
MIT

So now is my dilemma - where do I pick? :confused:
Not many places have offered me any kind of financial aid.

Summary thus far (all MPH):

Accepted (listed in order of notification)
UNC - envr (+ RA/TA offer)
Yale - chronic disease epidemiology
Hopkins - international health SBI
Umich - general epidemiology

Waiting on:
Boston University
MIT

So now is my dilemma - where do I pick? :confused:
Not many places have offered me any kind of financial aid.

I wouldn't mind having that "dilemma" :)

It really depends on where you are planning to work after graduation and what type of work you're interested in. Some programs are more research-oriented and others have a mandatory field placement program, etc. I would say look into the programs, and also ask the individual who has emailed you your acceptance to get you in touch with a current student or alum from the program you are accepted to and speak with them about the program, ups and downs etc. I have done that and I have found it to be very helpful. There are certain things that aren't evident from just websites alone.

Personally, I would probably go for Hopkins because of ranking and future job prospects, but you have gotten into great schools, so any would be a good choice.

Good luck!

I wouldn't mind having that "dilemma" :)

It really depends on where you are planning to work after graduation and what type of work you're interested in. Some programs are more research-oriented and others have a mandatory field placement program, etc. I would say look into the programs, and also ask the individual who has emailed you your acceptance to get you in touch with a current student or alum from the program you are accepted to and speak with them about the program, ups and downs etc. I have done that and I have found it to be very helpful. There are certain things that aren't evident from just websites alone.

Personally, I would probably go for Hopkins because of ranking and future job prospects, but you have gotten into great schools, so any would be a good choice.

Good luck!

Frali,

I never would've thought I'd be in this kind of situation... I pretty much had no confidence in getting in anywhere :p That's certainly a good point, about contacting someone. Yale has made a good impression on me thus far, they had a student ambassador contact me (yet they're ranked so low compared to the others). I've heard nothing but good things about the Umich Epid program from past alums. I'm already at UNC, so I know about that as well. I guess the only one left is Hopkins - but their program can't be bad if they're ranked #1, right?

Ultimately, I'd want to live in New Haven or Boston, maybe even Ann Arbor. I know that location shouldn't be the deciding factor for graduate school, but for a sheltered student like me, I definitely want to get out of the state.

Anyone have advice for how to weigh my options here? Thanks :)

Last edited:
I was excited about Yale, but I became discouraged after doing more research. As far as international health goes, Yale doesn't seem to have a very strong program. It doesn't seem like any school can beat Hopkins in that realm, except maybe Emory, UW, or Tulane, depending on what you're looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was excited about Yale, but I became discouraged after doing more research. As far as international health goes, Yale doesn't seem to have a very strong program. It doesn't seem like any school can beat Hopkins in that realm, except maybe Emory, UW, or Tulane, depending on what you're looking for.

Hi newname,

Thanks for the feedback - I've heard that Yale isn't very strong in public health, despite their Ivy League name. Yet, they have a small class size, and apparently it is not difficult to develop close connections to faculty.

I've heard great things about the IH dept of Hopkins, but I wonder if the reputation limits the depth of involvement?

HSPH contacted me to get info on a "self-nominated" scholarship listed on my fin aid app. They indicated they do not have a decision yet but I find it strange that Financial Aid is working on my file if i was not accepted. What are your thoughts?

I was accepted to UCLA last week on 2/20 - to both their MPH program in Community Health Sciences and their MSW program in individual social work. So far it is my only option, but I'm really not sure how I could possibly handle all that debt. I called financial aid and they said decisions would go out by the end of March. Community Health Sciences that they would notify people next week about merrit-based aid.

I'd really had my heart set on Berkeley, which I haven't heard from. I called them today and she said if I was going to be invited to the 3/15, 3/16 admit weekend, I would know by now. It's still possible to be admitted as they are still reviewing applications, but now I know for sure that I'm not a top pick. It's not too surprising, everyone warned me that HSB was the most competitive division to get into.

I'm going to go the Community Health Sciences admit day on 4/6, but I don't think I can go to the school-wide day on 3/6, though I'd like to.

Is anyone else faced with this? I'm wondering if I should try to get more public health experience (ie: any, I haven't had more than volunteer work yet) and apply next year or if I should go to a school that I didn't have my heart set on.

I've also thought of applying to the University of Southern Florida because they have the dual degree as well. I'm really not sure. Does anyone know anything about them?

@changetheworld, i got a similar mail too. My opinion is that financial aid is working independent of admissions. I called Bob Woods to know the status of my appl. & he said it was still @ the dept.(HPM). Most of those who have been accepted so far have been frm GH & Behavioural if i am correct.

I'd really had my heart set on Berkeley, which I haven't heard from. I called them today and she said if I was going to be invited to the 3/15, 3/16 admit weekend, I would know by now. It's still possible to be admitted as they are still reviewing applications, but now I know for sure that I'm not a top pick. It's not too surprising, everyone warned me that HSB was the most competitive division to get into.

Is anyone else faced with this? I'm wondering if I should try to get more public health experience (ie: any, I haven't had more than volunteer work yet) and apply next year or if I should go to a school that I didn't have my heart set on.

If Berkeley is your top choice, don't give up on them yet, even if you're not a top pick. Take comfort in knowing there are probably several accepted applicants for which UCB isn't their top choice and you could be one of the lucky ones near the top of a waiting list who gets accepted after April 15. :)

If you don't get in, and you don't think you'll be happy at any other school, then maybe applying next year would be a good idea. If you're rejected, I would contact the program director or admissions coordinator, let them know you plan to apply next year, and ask if they might give you some advice on what you can do to become a more competitive applicant, i.e., retake the GRE, get some research experience, or take some more courses related to your area of study.

Good luck! :)

bizzle4rizzle, i applied to hpm too. good luck. i think the email was a good sign, but i would be curious to know if others that were admitted received something similar prior to notification. i can't believe finaid would work on a file if they didn't know you were admitted....seems like a waste of their time for the number of apps they process.

This is my first post. Ive been reading the others over the past few weeks and theyve all been so helpful to me in this process.

So far been accepted to UNC for maternal and child health.

Waiting on GWU, Columbia, and Univ. of South Carolina.

I didnt apply to many schools b/c to be honest I didnt feel like completing all those apps...lol...but I also just tried to narrow it down to the one that really fit what I want to do.

hey everyone. just sharing my info, ill be happy to answer any questions.

Biology major
GPA 3.25
Verbal 550, Quant. 710, Writing 4.5
3 months international public health experience
Speak Spanish
All programs that I applied to are Global health/International Health in combination with the Peace Corps Masters International Program.

Accepted- Tulane, Emory, Boston U., U. of South Florida

Still waiting- University of Puerto Rico, George Washington Univ.

I was pleasantly surprised to get into some of those schools because my GPA was not as strong compared to other applicants and I didn't attend a particularly strong school for my undergrad (Ohio University). I think this is a testament indicating that public health programs look at applicants in a holistic fashion. Recommendations, languages spoken, essays, community involvement can make up for weaker grades.
Furthermore, it seems that many Global health programs tend to have a very high percentage of females compared to males in their programs. Emory for example is 87%female and 13% male. Tulane is similar with 83 % female and 17% male. I was wondering if this may have played an effect on my acceptance as I am male. Any thoughts as to why many global health programs seem to be heavily comprised of females?

Anyone have any experience with the University of Puerto Rico and its public health program? Doesn't seem to be a common topic here :).

I was accepted into UW's public health genetics program today via email (MPH). I received my acceptance to UPitt MPH in public health genetics on 1/26.

I heard from UCLA (CHS) on Feb 11 via email and UW (HPAP) today via phone. Both were positive!

I'm still waiting for UCB (HPM) though I applied to a concurrent degree program so I'm not sure when I'll hear back. Still, it's rough seeing the Spring visit day on the homepage and not knowing anything....

"MPHhopeful47: I was accepted to UCLA last week on 2/20 - to both their MPH program in Community Health Sciences and their MSW program in individual social work. So far it is my only option, but I'm really not sure how I could possibly handle all that debt. I called financial aid and they said decisions would go out by the end of March. Community Health Sciences that they would notify people next week about merrit-based aid.

I'm going to go the Community Health Sciences admit day on 4/6, but I don't think I can go to the school-wide day on 3/6, though I'd like to.

Is anyone else faced with this? I'm wondering if I should try to get more public health experience (ie: any, I haven't had more than volunteer work yet) and apply next year or if I should go to a school that I didn't have my heart set on."

Hi MPHhopeful47:I totally feel you about UCLA and UCB. Haven't heard back from the HPM program but I think my hear was already set on UCLA anyway (got admitted last week and will be attending both 3/6 and 4/6 events). It's still discouraging to not hear from UCB though. I'm also really worried about the financial aid and paying for the program. Have you looked into any other fellowships? I'm not having any luck... I think I started too late in the game :\

Can someone point me to the pdf that lists the schools, acceptance rates, male/female breakdown, etc. I know it was on here somewhere, but I can't find it.

Thanks.

Just got an acceptance email from UC Berkeley Epi 5 minutes ago

I got an acceptance email from Berkeley too - MPH program in Epidemiology & Biostatistics.

Finally UCB takes us off tenderhooks! I was also admitted to MPH Epi/Biostats. I gather we are not invited to the March 16 visit day...does anyone know if a later one has been set?

Accepted:
UCLA
Umich

Rejected:
UWash

Still nothing...
BU
Iowa
Columbia
Harvard
Hopkins
Berkely

Correction - we *are* invited to 3/16 admit day. I will be visiting another school that day...hopefully those who do go will post some feedback (on the Visit Days 2009 thread)!

I just got an email from Johns hopkins that I have gotten admission in their MHA program. I am really really excited :D

accepted to hsph via email with link to website!! sm2 in ghp. limited loans. good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got my first acceptance at Johns Hopkins (MPH) today. Phew! Very happy. :)

I also just heard back from harvard last friday (2/27), I was accepted into the SM2 epidemiology program, it wasn't what I applied for, but I'm not complaining : ) Now I have to decide between that and the doctoral programs I've heard back from. I was also accepted into the UW Pulbic health genetics MPH, again, I applied to the doctoral program but got into the masters program...is this normal?

I also just heard back from harvard last friday (2/27), I was accepted into the SM2 epidemiology program, it wasn't what I applied for, but I'm not complaining : ) Now I have to decide between that and the doctoral programs I've heard back from. I was also accepted into the UW Pulbic health genetics MPH, again, I applied to the doctoral program but got into the masters program...is this normal?

Yes, this is normal. Most PhD programs require a masters. I know UW does.

Accepted:
Emory
Boston University
George Washington
Tufts
Tulane

Waiting on:
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
University of Washington

Yes, this is normal. Most PhD programs require a masters. I know UW does.

Thank you so much, in your opinion would you say it would be worth paying for a masters at Harvard vs. going straight into a doctoral program at Wash U (its not in epi, but a related field)

I just got an email from Johns hopkins that I have gotten admission in their MHA program. I am really really excited :D

congratulations!!
I have an interview with the Assistant Director of admissions... next week.
do you have an interview - how did that go?

Accepted:
Yale
UMich
Emory
BU
UPitt
Minnesota

Still Waiting
Columbia
Carnegie
Johns Hopkins
Berkeley

Rejected
Pardee RAND Graduate School

This is for HPM... Looks like I'm going to have a super hard time deciding...
WhoA - Had no idea I would have so many options...
Oh well...

Best of luck to you all out there deciding on colleges.

The decision link appeared in my Michigan account today. However, when I click on it, all I get is this message:

PT_PIXEL_1.gif
A decision has been made. You will be receiving an official letter in the mail.

I am preparing for a rejection letter in the mail soon (haven't people gotten acceptances via this link for other programs?). This is for MPH-Epi.

Sadly, I think that this link means that you got a rejection letter. When my status changed, it said "Click on this link to view your decision" and I clicked that and it started some video thing with the "You made it!" spiel. Best of luck tho, and I hope that you prove me wrong...

I basically called the Assistant Director in late Jan to make sure that my application materials made it to her because they were being forwarded from another department. I also spoke with her a little bit about my current job, what I studied in undergrad and other general info and she told me she would get back to me about my application at a later date.

The next time I heard from her was the email telling me I was accepted. I then realized that the phone conversation I had with her was basically like an interview even though I had initiated it.

I wouldnt' be worried at all, they are basically checking to see how confident you are, your work and other general information. She is a very pleasant person to speak with so it will go fine.

Good luck and let me know how it goes! :)

congratulations!!
I have an interview with the Assistant Director of admissions... next week.
do you have an interview - how did that go?

The decision link appeared in my Michigan account today. However, when I click on it, all I get is this message:

PT_PIXEL_1.gif
A decision has been made. You will be receiving an official letter in the mail.

I am preparing for a rejection letter in the mail soon (haven't people gotten acceptances via this link for other programs?). This is for MPH-Epi.

future epi, I got the same exact message when I got an email telling me to go check the link. I'm expecting a rejection or maybe waiting list, too, because, as was described above, when I was accepted to HBHE I saw the welcome video.:(

future epi, I got the same exact message when I got an email telling me to go check the link. I'm expecting a rejection or maybe waiting list, too, because, as was described above, when I was accepted to HBHE I saw the welcome video.:(

I'm in no way getting my hopes up, but perhaps it's just different for Epi? I haven't heard of anyone hearing anything from Epi so far...

Finally! Accepted at Harvard.. global health!