Interviews, 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know anything about the quality of UC Davis's program?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know anything about the quality of UC Davis's program?

My chairman emeritus rated its training in the same tier as Casey, UCSF, USC, and UCLA on the west coast. Of course, he also gave Florida and our home program "A"s as well, so he wasn't making extraordinarily fine distinctions at that level.

Up here at Casey this month, I've had lots of folks say good things about Davis as well. I'm kind of disappointed it's only 3 residents a year - otherwise I'd be more excited by it.

(if anyone is curious, I have a list of subjective grading for ~35 schools that I would be happy to PM, but not to post publicly)

Loyola today, second batch, notified via phone. Interview dates are on Wednesdays starting next week!

Members don't see this ad :)
first interview today. finally.
henry ford via email. dates 11/17, 11/20, 12/4...was getting really worried with no invites. I'm not sure what batch I'm in since I can never get through to a real person or someone who is not in india at sf match.

I have a 12/1 interview date at Doheny, and am looking to switch to 12/8, which unfortunately is already filled.

Is there anyone out there for whom 12/1 would work better, especially as other invites have started to come in? I'd love to switch!

-od

has anyone heard from any Cali programs besides: UC Davis and Doheny?

hey, new here. didn't see any comments re: pittsburgh on the previous pages. they're only interviewing the weekend of 11/17-11/19. otherwise, nothing new to offer. GL all.

i got a call from Davis, but wasn't able to get back to them until the next morning since i'm out of the country and in a completely different time zone - i was so bummed to find out that all the interview slots were filled within a day :(

just a reminder to everyone to keep checking those messages!..

interview from Yale University..
Nov 17/18
Dec 1/2

Hi all,
My first post here. I wanted to share some dates which I culled from different websites, previous posts, and a couple of interviews I got. PLEASE don't take it as gospel, as I could have easily made a mistake.

Doheny: 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/15
UCSD: 11/27, 12/11, 12/18
UCI: 12/1,12/8,12/15 (tentative)
UCSF: 11/16, 12/7, 12/14
Stanford: 12/1,12/8,12/15
CPMC: 11/20,11/27,12/4
Tufts: 11/17,11/20,12/4
Georgetown: 12/1,12/15
Michigan: 11/16,11/30,12/7
Scheie: 11/28,12/1,12/8
Wills: 12/4,12/5
Emory 12/2,12/3 (together?)
New York E&E: 12/9,12/15

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with 11/20 interview at CPMC willing to switch for 11/27 interview date?
My daughter is having surgery on the 27th.
Thanks
Vballguy

-- edited - NO LONGER NEED SWITCH - thanks to all.

anybody not get an interview yet?

What else could programs could be using to screen applicants?

Part of it is a crap shoot. You just can't figure it out sometimes, and it's best to accept it and move on.

For example, one of my classmates and I both applied to all 6 Chicago area programs a few years ago. She got rejected at 3, and interviews at the other 3. I got interviewed at 3, and rejected at the 3 where she interviewed. The two of us had an almost identical list of programs we applied to, but we only ended up with one common interview. We never figured out what made them decide to look at one of us and not the other.

Dave

I also wanted to mention that my year, they came in batches. I got 3 or 4 interviews right away, and then it was 2 or 3 weeks before I heard anything from the next group, and then another couple of weeks before I heard anything again.

Dave

UAB (Alabama-Birmingham) by snail mail
- Only interview 11/4 and overflow 11/3 afternoon.

Any thoughts on this program?:cool:

Everyone,

Don't forget to check out great interview/program selection advice Wolverine98 just posted in the sticky "applicant advice" thread up top.

Good luck!

Medical College of WI (got offer on Mon)
UC Davis (got offer on Tues)
UCSF (got offer yesterday)

Univeristy of Wisconsin rejection. Seemed a little surprising from a program on probation.

JR,
Can you offer your thoughts on the Krieger program at Sinai?

University of Iowa (10/13, email): November 3, December 8, December 15.

There is a dinner following the interview.

Northwestern 10/13 via email...dates are Nov 17 and Dec 8. Anyone going to be there on Nov 17?

Chris

anyone else get the snail mail brochure + letter from Rush saying your app was received? My understanding is that they are still reviewing my app, but if they choose to give an interview, they'll send it by snail mail letting me know. Only thing is all their dates are all within the next 2 1/2 weeks. Makes it difficult to travel. Is this just a courtesy letter basically saying it's unlikely that you'll get an interview? :confused:

I got the same mailing. I think they sent it to everyone.

Also-
OhioState email 10/15
Batch 1

is it assumed that interviews are generally coming out late this year?? I'm getting really worried and am wondering if I should apply for a backup...since a lot of "published" interview dates are approaching.

i think the consensus has been to be patient. i'm sure things will be different from now and the end of oct.

The program director here at Casey said that they just received their major influx of applications at the end of the last week, and they're about 10 days behind schedule compared to last year.

I expect the next two weeks to be prime invitation time.

Also, OSU 10/15 by e-mail, dates are Oct. 27th, Nov. 30th, Dec. 11th.

U Pitt, 10/16 by phone, Batch 1, interview dates 11/17, 11/18

SUNY Buffalo, batch 3, November 3 via email

tufts (email), batch 2, offered dec 4 interview

CPMC, phone, offered 12/4, Batch 1

I just got a letter (regular mail) from Temple University asking for additional information. The letter listed pretty much everything included in the San Francisco Matching Program universal application, plus a picture and a CV. Do I have to resend the LOR's, USMLE scores, transcripts, Dean's letter, etc? It makes sense to send the picture and a CV, but all the rest of the stuff again? Comments are welcomed. :confused:

I just got a letter (regular mail) from Temple University asking for additional information. The letter listed pretty much everything included in the San Francisco Matching Program universal application, plus a picture and a CV. Do I have to resend the LOR's, USMLE scores, transcripts, Dean’s letter, etc? It makes sense to send the picture and a CV, but all the rest of the stuff again? Comments are welcomed. :confused:

highly doubtful you'd have to send all that stuff again. i'd just send the CV and picture. if you're worried just call their office.

Hi guys,

Also trying to switch from 11/3 --> 12/8 or 12/15 for Iowa.

Please PM me if 11/3 at Iowa might work better for you.

Good luck to everyone.

2nd batch, wait-listed at Northwestern. Did not know such an option existed, but I suppose it beats rejection.

Heh, wait-list. It's probably for when people like me who have Northwestern scheduled for 11/17 get the Yale invite for 11/17-11/18 through the world's slowest postal service. Why couldn't Yale flippin' use e-mail....

Heh, wait-list. It's probably for when people like me who have Northwestern scheduled for 11/17 get the Yale invite for 11/17-11/18 through the world's slowest postal service. Why couldn't Yale flippin' use e-mail....

and don't forget this wonderful post from the didn't get interviews yet thread: 250+, AOA, research, etc....and Baylor, Doheney, Iowa, UCSF, and Wilmer all have passed me over so far. I'm glad some of those so-called "mid- to low-tier programs" haven't written me off as some sort of pariah!

Wow xaleia, you are certainly one of the most obnoxious people on here. I'm sure you felt so special to post that first interview. Please go ahead and give up your Northwestern interview for Yale so that someone who really deserves to go there can get in. You can have Yale. And as far as you not hearing from those 5 programs, I've got interviews at all of them with <250, no AOA, not a ton of research. It's a wonderful thing, not because I got those interviews, but because it means the programs can sniff out the psychos, even if they try to hide behind some numbers. Good luck to you, I just hope we dont end up at the same program together.

Please go ahead and give up your Northwestern interview for Yale so that someone who really deserves to go there can get in. You can have Yale. And as far as you not hearing from those 5 programs, I've got interviews at all of them with <250, no AOA, not a ton of research. It's a wonderful thing, not because I got those interviews, but because it means the programs can sniff out the psychos, even if they try to hide behind some numbers. Good luck to you, I just hope we dont end up at the same program together.

In case you missed the point of my gripe, I want to interview at _both_ of them. I'm very grateful to have been invited to both, and I'm annoyed that Yale used the U.S. Mail, which took 9 days to get to me, and made scheduling less convenient. If I have to cancel one of them, it would, yes, open up a spot for someone else....which is entirely appropriate, and I would give them notice as far in advance as possible so it allowed someone else to better plan for it.

The entire point of my missive regarding my numbers is simply to show that you can't predict anything in this process, and that, like the rest of medicine, it's very humbling. If you're married to your numbers and using them to inflate your self-image, then you have an empty hole in your soul. I find it very easy to not think very highly of myself on a daily basis because I'm continously surrounded by people who know far more than I do, and confronted with clinical problems I don't know the answers to.

Congratulations on your interviews, I've heard great things about some of those programs.

I'm not qualified to enter the above debate, as I just got my second interview today (which I am very happy about). Phone call from Maryland General - 11/17 or 11/20. I'll thus be interested to see if anyone responds to the thread recently started on this program.

Does anyone know if UCSF has sent out all their interviews? Has anyone gotten a rejection from them yet?

Does anyone know if UCSF has sent out all their interviews? Has anyone gotten a rejection from them yet?

They've called a "select few" people, but have not made tehir decision. No rejection letter yet.

email from med coll of wisconsin - dates are nov 3 and dec 1, with a waitlist for nov 30...

hope you're all hanging in there.

Hello, i am a new member, could i know what questions to expect during the interviews. Thanks

highly doubtful you'd have to send all that stuff again. i'd just send the CV and picture. if you're worried just call their office.

I called Temple.. they want a pic, a CV, and the application filled out.. no transcripts or any of that other stuff

On another note... should I call Rush since it seems that everyone has received this "packet" and I haven't :/ I guess my real question is whether it is ok to call programs for things like that in general?