Im a sophomore and need advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
perhaps qualification is judged differently by different people.

but be careful. u are on WAMC. the peeps here are friendlier. more freedom of speech.

say this on the regular forum and LOL...

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, when people say "no offense", what they're really trying to say is "what I'm about to say is really offensive". Who are you to say that one applicant is more qualified than another? If someone with a low GPA gets into med school, they have clearly done something else extraordinary to deserve that spot. Why do you have to be so bitter about it?

Maybe there's a reason that you've been banned or suspended on so many sites. You have a terrible attitude.

I'm just saying I don't think life stories should be a selection factor.

Gpa,mcat,ec's,lors should be only factors

Who cares about a touching life story. Isn't it enough minorities can get into good schools with mediocre stats

You can take that discussion to the SocioPolitical Forum. It has no place here.

Have you researched possible Leadership activities yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just saying I don't think life stories should be a selection factor.

Gpa,mcat,ec's,lors should be only factors

Who cares about a touching life story. Isn't it enough minorities can get into good schools with mediocre stats

Wow. :thumbdown:
It's not about a touching life story. It's about the fact that some people experience things in life that you can't even dream of...things that ultimately make them a bigger person who cares about human beings (which is first and foremost what it takes to be a good doctor). They become people that are not only concerned with numbers and comparing themselves to others. You say you want to be "successful", but success means different things to different people.
Plus, you can't always compare GPA's directly...sometimes a GPA that is lower from a much more difficult undergrad university is taken into consideration.

Wow. :thumbdown:
It's not about a touching life story. It's about the fact that some people experience things in life that you can't even dream of...things that ultimately make them a bigger person who cares about human beings (which is first and foremost what it takes to be a good doctor). They become people that are not only concerned with numbers and comparing themselves to others. You say you want to be "successful", but success means different things to different people.
Plus, you can't always compare GPA's directly...sometimes a GPA that is lower from a much more difficult undergrad university is taken into consideration.

disagree unfortunately. u do not need these so called amazing life experiences to want to care about people.
and i'd much rather be compared based on my grades, rather than whether ive had this amazing life experience.

subjective not?

For research, some people tell me I need to get my name on papers and other published stuff. Is this true or is just the experience good enough?

Northwestern, Duke, or Vanderbilt for example...

duke- work on the essays
vandy and northy - dont know what they emphasize

Reactions: 1 user
usually experience is just enough....but the more competitive schools you need more "extras"
I think it needs to be substantive experience, which to me means a combo of time spent and what you did, but not necessarily a publication. For the most-selective schools you'd want 2+ years of experience. I've got an acquaintance who got her name on a publication after three months of summer work. I don't think that would be sufficiently intensive to impress a top school even though she acquired the treasured "pub".

Here is a requote of LizzyM (SDN adcomm goddess extraordinaire) on the subject:

I'd rank research experience in this way:

11. Housekeeping and supply ordering.

10. Helping others with projects, serving as a research assistant or technician.

9. Animal surgery.

8. Pilot work prior to writing a proposal for a testable hypothesis.

7. Responsibility for testing a hypothesis.

6. Funding of your project (not your PI's funding)

5. Poster presentation at a student event

4. Podium presentation at a student event

3. Poster presentation at a regional or national meeting in your specialty (published abstract)

2. Podium presentation at a regional or national meeting in your specialty (published abstract)

1. Authorship in a peer reviewed, national publication.

I think it needs to be substantive experience, which to me means a combo of time spent and what you did, but not necessarily a publication. For the most-selective schools you'd want 2+ years of experience. I've got an acquaintance who got her name on a publication after three months of summer work. I don't think that would be sufficiently intensive to impress a top school even though she acquired the treasured "pub".

Here is a requote of LizzyM (SDN adcomm goddess extraordinaire) on the subject:

dont fully understand this system to be honest. poster presentations are easy compared to getting funding...

i mean poster presentations are easy compared to animal surgery!!!
i could have done a poster presentation if i wanted to, but definitely not the surgeries.. lolz

Reactions: 1 user
Another question....Im helping a buddy of mine prepare for his MCAT, he is going to be a senior next fall. He is wanting to take the MCAT at the end of June (i think its like june 30). Will this make his application late? Should I tell him to go ahead and send the AMCAS before he takes the MCAT?

Another question....Im helping a buddy of mine prepare for his MCAT, he is going to be a senior next fall. He is wanting to take the MCAT at the end of June (i think its like june 30). Will this make his application late? Should I tell him to go ahead and send the AMCAS before he takes the MCAT?
Yes your friend can do that and then submit his score

Send AMCAS in the beginning of June when it opens up and the schools will have his score in late July and most schools dont start really looking at apps for the next cycle until Aug. Sounds like perfect timing to me!

When you guys say apply "early." Do you mean apply as "early decision" candidate or just apply early in the regular cycle.

As for myself, Im not going to apply EDP. So as long as you apply before August thats considered "early" (not EDP) right?

You don't need advice. You need a dictionary and some remedial English.

You don't need advice. You need a dictionary and some remedial English.

Wow...

Yeah...let me proofread my posts on a message board. Get a ****ing life.

Hey guys what are some West Coast schools that accept a decent number of out-of-state applicants?

Update. lol

Clinical Experience volunteering.

+200 hours by end of the month.

Is it worth to get more?

I have 375 hours shadowing. More of that?

Is advice spelled advise in the US?

Im definitely trying to do more, but Im trying to ration time for tutoring or teaching. Its what I'm missing.

with ur gpa/mcats + decent ec's, u have really really great chance at an above avg med school.

If EC's didnt affect my chances of getting accepted to a better school, I wouldnt do 1 second of research, volunteering, tutors, or anything else. I hate all these EC's. My only motivation is to succeed by getting accept to the best school possible.

Ok....then why are you pursuing medicine? It involves research (not necessary, though), teaching nurses, medical students, your colleagues, and your patients, helping people, and being compassionate (Have you heard of this word? From your seemingly arrogance on this site, you will not be able to become a good doctor. Your patients will run away from you, and you may get a bad reputation. Patients don't care about what school you go. They want compassion and excellent quality of care. If you are still determined to go into medicine, then you need to start caring about the others, not just getting into the best school possible. Getting into a medical school is hard enough. Otherwise, you will be one miserable doctor.)