Sophomore looking for application advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somath8124

Reaction score
Here's what my application is looking like right now; let me know what I can improve! For context, I'm a sophomore hoping to apply traditionally - also looking into applying to Flexmed this upcoming January!

cGPA: 4.0, sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: Going to take August 2024 (August before junior year).
State of residence: NC
Ethnicity and/or race: ORM / Indian Male
Undergraduate: T10 private, Biology (BS) + Computer Science (BA)

Clinical Experience:
  • ~20 hours hospice volunteering. Projecting ~200 hours. Based on what I've done so far, expecting this to be a most meaningful
  • Applying to full time MA jobs next summer - projecting ~500 hours.
  • I know this is where I'm lacking, but I'm hoping this plan will work.
Research Experience:
  • ~100 hrs in 1 lab - Doing a mix of computational biology and bench research studying AML. Projecting 500-600 hours + 1-2 posters.
  • 250 hrs in an Exercise Science Lab from high school; I know HS extracurriculars aren't great but I was first author for 2 posters presented at conferences so I thought it would be notable.
Shadowing Experience: 115 hrs
  • IM + Peds PCP (35 hrs)
  • Private Practice Urology (50 hrs)
  • IM Hospitalist (30 hrs)
Non-Clinical Volunteering:
  • Red Cross: 600+ hrs, projecting 1000+ hrs by apps
    • Have been volunteering for nearly 6 years now; have held 3 national positions, president of my college's club, on my regional Board of Directors, etc. most meaningful
  • Club that hosts interactive science experiments w/ underprivileged local elementary schools: projected 60 hrs
Misc/Leadership:
  • Dorm House Council President (100 hrs)
  • Member of acapella group (projected ~300 hrs)
  • Resident Assistant (projected ~1000 hrs). most meaningful. I know this sounds like a lot of hours, but most of it will come from time spent on-call at nights just sleeping haha.
  • Orientation Leader (94 hrs)
  • Peer Facilitator (tutoring through Work Study) (projected ~100 hrs)
  • Science Olympiad Anatomy and Physiology Head Test Writer (~75 hrs)
  • Hobbies: playing basketball, singing, lifting, learning languages (Spanish/Telugu, intermediate in both) when I have time
Awards:
  • Burger King Scholar
  • Dean's List w/ Distinction
I'm hoping to create a narrative around building connections, whether through community service, academics, mentorship, or research. I'm doing an interdisciplinary double major with corresponding research; my love for volunteering with the Red Cross and likely hospice has to do with connecting with vulnerable communities; and I've come to love mentorship as an RA, orientation leader, tutor, etc. The biggest draw in medicine for me has always been the prospect of building deep, longitudinal connections with patients and other staff, and while I know this isn't a very fleshed out or specific narrative as of now, I hope it's clear what I'm going for.

Thank you for taking the time to read this far :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@somath8124 your longterm planning and all the things you have done so far look great.
40-50 hours of shadowing is generally enough, so you don't need to add to that.
Getting a MA job will give you more face-to-face experience with patients & medical staff and this will fill in the hours you need in that category.
Wait to take the MCAT until you have finished biochem, Organic and Physics I
Good luck & keep up the good work

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask as a sophomore how much you have done as a Resident Assistant? I am sure it is most meaningful to you, but I don't know how your undergrad chooses RAs and promotes them.

Who is writing your letters?

Connections, huh? Why not go for an MBA? Student Government? You can get better longitudinal relationships with social work.

Reactions: 1 user
Can I ask as a sophomore how much you have done as a Resident Assistant? I am sure it is most meaningful to you, but I don't know how your undergrad chooses RAs and promotes them.

Connections, huh? Why not go for an MBA? Student Government? You can get better longitudinal relationships with social work.
@somath8124 your longterm planning and all the things you have done so far look great.
40-50 hours of shadowing is generally enough, so you don't need to add to that.
Getting a MA job will give you more face-to-face experience with patients & medical staff and this will fill in the hours you need in that category.
Wait to take the MCAT until you have finished biochem, Organic and Physics I
Good luck & keep up the good work
I’m finished with both Gen Chem, Organics, Physics I, and Bio as of this semester, and psych + Biochem next semester so I was thinking I might as well take it in the summer when everything’s fresh. Thank you so much!

+1 on the "connections" narrative vagueness. Make sure that by the time you apply, you have that narrative tied into medicine.

For example, if my narrative is sports medicine/ortho/related, sure it make sense if I'm a division 1 athlete.
But I could also be a coach, athletic trainer, biomechanics PhD, PT, etc. to continue that sports narrative.

So then you add sports medicine research, shadowing some orthos, work in a sports medicine clinic, and now we have ourselves a narrative that might actually tie into medicine/doctoring

Sure! I was selected as an RA at the beginning of this year, and plan to continue it through the end of college. I’m responsible for 20 residents and building community among them through monthly programming and hanging out with them in general (this is the most meaningful part for me, it’s been a blast being able to mentor them through a pretty vulnerable and difficult part of their lives and watch them grow into full fledged college students already). The selection process is fairly selective (~40%), if that’s what you were asking.

I’m definitely going to get a recommendation from a Professor I just took a CS-philosophy seminar class with this semester, and am taking a computational genomics class with next semester. Through the seminar, I’ve connected with him super well (went to his house for a class dinner, multiple other class outings + got lunch with him, etc), and expect to only become closer with him next semester. Truly an incredible person to talk to and learn from.

Apart from that, I could get a rec from any of the three physicians I shadowed (hopefully one of which I’ll work under as an MA), my PI, and a committee letter.

The one thing I’m worried about is the other professor recs. I haven’t really bonded with any other science professors closely since they’ve been big lectures, but I could get a decent rec from my intro bio prof. Also could get a good rec from my freshman humanities seminar prof. Looking to build on these connections/find a better rec this next year.

Finally, the narrative. I understand, connections is a pretty bad way to phrase it. I’ve attached some of my reasons but in more detail (written these as I’ve thought of them during shadowing and other activities), maybe they will give you a better representation of my thoughts as of now.

Thank you for asking such important questions, definitely need to keep thinking and reflecting.

Attachments

• IMG_8327.jpeg
    IMG_8327.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
+1 on the "connections" narrative vagueness. Make sure that by the time you apply, you have that narrative tied into medicine.

For example, if my narrative is sports medicine/ortho/related, sure it make sense if I'm a division 1 athlete.
But I could also be a coach, athletic trainer, biomechanics PhD, PT, etc. to continue that sports narrative.

So then you add sports medicine research, shadowing some orthos, work in a sports medicine clinic, and now we have ourselves a narrative that might actually tie into medicine/doctoring
Gotcha. Out of curiosity, are there any themes or ideas that jump out to you from reading my application on first glance? I’ve been giving a lot of thought to how I’d want to structure a narrative but haven’t came up with anything conclusive yet.

Sure! I was selected as an RA at the beginning of this year, and plan to continue it through the end of college. I’m responsible for 20 residents and building community among them through monthly programming and hanging out with them in general (this is the most meaningful part for me, it’s been a blast being able to mentor them through a pretty vulnerable and difficult part of their lives and watch them grow into full fledged college students already). The selection process is fairly selective (~40%), if that’s what you were asking.

I’m definitely going to get a recommendation from a Professor I just took a CS-philosophy seminar class with this semester, and am taking a computational genomics class with next semester. Through the seminar, I’ve connected with him super well (went to his house for a class dinner, multiple other class outings + got lunch with him, etc), and expect to only become closer with him next semester. Truly an incredible person to talk to and learn from.

Apart from that, I could get a rec from any of the three physicians I shadowed (hopefully one of which I’ll work under as an MA), my PI, and a committee letter.

The one thing I’m worried about is the other professor recs. I haven’t really bonded with any other science professors closely since they’ve been big lectures, but I could get a decent rec from my gen chem bio prof. Also could get a good rec from my freshman humanities seminar prof. Looking to build on these connections/find a better rec this next year.

Finally, the narrative. I understand, connections is a pretty bad way to phrase it. I’ve attached some of my reasons but in more detail (written these as I’ve thought of them during shadowing and other activities), maybe they will give you a better representation of my thoughts as of now.

Thank you for asking such important questions, definitely need to keep thinking and reflecting.
Oh and adding on to this, I have been looking into MD-MBA programs, because I’d like to be adept with the business side of things and eventually go into some type of private practice (on top of the obvious enjoying talking to people and such.) I was president of my house council which was a student government position, and while I enjoyed it, it wasn’t as fulfilling to me as some of the more direct mentorship activities I’ve since entered, which is why I’m not really looking into student government anymore.

Gotcha. Out of curiosity, are there any themes or ideas that jump out to you from reading my application on first glance? I’ve been giving a lot of thought to how I’d want to structure a narrative but haven’t came up with anything conclusive yet.
Not enough information to say there is a pattern of theme.
The theme right now is a smart extroverted student who is driven and involved in university.

If you want to take the comp sci angle, you need more information about the comp sci (the research, other projects, integration to medicine)
If you want the philanthropy angle, more in that + integration to medicine
If you want to take the connections farther, build a social network using your comp sci background for medical philanthropic goals

Reactions: 1 users
I’m definitely going to get a recommendation from a Professor I just took a CS-philosophy seminar class with this semester, and am taking a computational genomics class with next semester.
At the end of your second class with that Prof ask for a LOR and store it through Interfolio. Your performance and personality will still be fresh in their minds.
I started collecting letters back in sophomore year. When I applied, all I had to do was ask letter writers to login and redate the letter (some were over two years old). The letters transfer over to AMCAS in a day or two and is pretty seamless.
Just to note tho, Interfolio charged me for sending the letters. I don’t believe you need a subscription to store letters, but yea the year you are applying you would need a subscription. Still worth it for the convenience imo and it's one of the most well known confidential letter storage services.

The theme right now is a smart extroverted student who is driven and involved in university.
I agree.
I'm hoping to create a narrative around building connections, whether through community service.....
biggest draw in medicine for me has always been the prospect of building deep, longitudinal connections with patients and other staff
You can lean into this narrative more by immersing yourself into communities outside your immediate circles. This can include community service and also working clinically at a family med practice where longitudinal connections with patients can be seen daily.
Non clinical volunteering outside your university circle (what's the population Red Cross is serving?) and geared towards community wellbeing (soup kitchens, H4H, community centers, etc) will help you better define what it means to build a connection with the communities you hope to serve (if one of your goals is to care for underserved communities).

I agree.

You can lean into this narrative more by immersing yourself into communities outside your immediate circles. This can include community service and also working clinically at a family med practice where longitudinal connections with patients can be seen daily.
Non clinical volunteering outside your university circle (what's the population Red Cross is serving?) and geared towards community wellbeing (soup kitchens, H4H, community centers, etc) will help you better define what it means to build a connection with the communities you hope to serve (if one of your goals is to care for underserved communities).
I don't know if there's necessarily "a" community the Red Cross serves since we're so widespread, but my national work is primarily geared towards high schoolers and college students and providing them with volunteer opportunities/helping them with the transition, with occasional work in disaster relief, blood awareness etc. On campus, once again I primarily work to organize our college blood drives and other events, but am looking into transitioning into more off campus stuff as well (partnerships with soup kitchens, food pantries, etc.) Does that work? Or would you suggest I directly volunteer with those organizations?

My reaction takes into account the desire to apply for Flexmed, if that is the OP's intent.
Yup. After talking with some previous applicants, I'm thinking my flex factor will be something along the lines of having more time to delve into music (music theory classes at school, acapella performances, setting up a music program at the hospice center/local hospital, etc.), or exploring CS and healthtech/swe. Still not completely sure though. Do you think my application is competitive metrics/EC wise?

Yup. After talking with some previous applicants, I'm thinking my flex factor will be something along the lines of having more time to delve into music (music theory classes at school, acapella performances, setting up a music program at the hospice center/local hospital, etc.), or exploring CS and healthtech/swe. Still not completely sure though. Do you think my application is competitive metrics/EC wise?
I can't think of a reason why you couldn't send an application. I don't know what they allow for discussing meaningful experiences, as one example, as I need to be more familiar with their application prompts. In a similar program, I would want to know how mature you are, how much you are committed to medicine and going to our program, and why it is important to get you now versus through a regular decision application. We are very careful not to pick people who we felt could jump ship and try the open market with an ED or RD application.

I can't think of a reason why you couldn't send an application. I don't know what they allow for discussing meaningful experiences, as one example, as I need to be more familiar with their application prompts. In a similar program, I would want to know how mature you are, how much you are committed to medicine and going to our program, and why it is important to get you now versus through a regular decision application. We are very careful not to pick people who we felt could jump ship and try the open market with an ED or RD application.
Sounds good. By the way, I've been doing some more thinking – do you think something along the lines of "helping vulnerable communities" could be a better narrative? It still explains hospice, potentially MA depending on what type of clinic I join, Red Cross, RA, college tutoring, Orientation Leader, and the science experiments for underserved local elementary schools club. I could also join a Soup kitchen/Food pantry or something similar. For context, the urologist I was shadowing this summer explained that the reason he loves his speciality is because he's able to work through people's biggest vulnerabilities and give them their confidence and dignity back everyday, which is something that really struck me.

Sounds good. By the way, I've been doing some more thinking – do you think something along the lines of "helping vulnerable communities" could be a better narrative? It still explains hospice, potentially MA depending on what type of clinic I join, Red Cross, RA, college tutoring, Orientation Leader, and the science experiments for underserved local elementary schools club. I could also join a Soup kitchen/Food pantry or something similar. For context, the urologist I was shadowing this summer explained that the reason he loves his speciality is because he's able to work through people's biggest vulnerabilities and give them their confidence and dignity back everyday, which is something that really struck me.
I definitely think you should understand that moral imperative for health care providers in general so doing many of the activities you list (specifically food distribution) are fine if you see how you help people similarly with maintaining their sense of self with dignity. So to that end, helping vulnerable people should be part of who you are regardless of profession since that's what everyone should do. Social work is especially rewarding.

• Love