Im a sophomore and need advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ion1776

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hows it going everyone? Im new to the site. Im currently a sophomore at the University of Tennessee.

Major: Political Science

Science Classes taken

General Chemistry 1 Grade: B
General Chemistry 2 Grade: C
Organic Chemistry 1 Grade:
Organic Chemistry 2 Grade:
Organic Chemistry Lab (2 credit, separate class from OC 2) Grade:

General Biology 1 Grade: A
General Biology 2 Grade: B

Pre-Calculus Grade: A
Calculus I Grade: A
Calculus II Grade: A

Physics I Grade:
Physics II Grade:

MCAT SCORE: 34

Ive only taken these since these are what most medical schools require. I dont plan on taking more, unless it is vital that I do.

I believe hopefully I'll get all in A's in the poly Sci classes.

Extra Curriculars (I have time to do much more before I apply)

1. Intern at 3 doctor's offices (job shadowing basically)
Total hours: 375 hours

All advise and comments welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well I havent checked what my GPA is, im assuming the medical schools have their own way of checking GPAs. right?, they dont just take it from the undergrad school. Plus I only have 60 hours completed so far at my university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I havent checked what my GPA is, im assuming the medical schools have their own way of checking GPAs. right?, they dont just take it from the undergrad school. Plus I only have 60 hours completed so far at my university.

check your unofficial transcript from your school....it is usually calculated at the bottom with all your classes.

Ill try and look it up right now...

Just ran back from registrar's "computer" area....Heres what it says

GPA: 3.71

Im assuming science GPA means physics, bio, chem, orgo chem, math...

From my calculations Science GPA: 3.55 (I dont want to take more science classes...lol)

I still have almost 60 hours left to raise the total GPA.

I have just start on looking medical school prospects, I havent looked at any medical schools yet or anything about them. People just told me that the classes above are all I need science wise.

Also does the college honors groups like Phi Theta Kappa help, I gotten letter from so many random ones. Should I pay the 50 bucks and get the membership...

P.S. I thought there would be more people on this site

Your overall GPA is good, sGPA could use a few more classes. I would take some extra bio classes and raise that to a 3.6+. 34 MCAT will help though..

You need to get volunteering and get patient contact. Have any leadership, tutoring, etc.?

Your stats are good....your ECs need work.

Fix the ECs and I say you have an excellent shot instate in Tenn.....

Some schools want you to have Biochem and Statistics. Others like to see one upper-level Bio with lab. Check on the schools you'll want to apply to and be sure you won't be counted out if you don't have those. Stats, at least, is an easy A that can help raise your BCPM GPA.

Some would say you should repeat Gen Chem II since you got a C.

Your shadowing hours are way more than you need. Since your active clinical experience is lacking, can you convert those contacts into a volunteer postion where you engage patients face-to-face and help out, rather than just observing? You also lack community service. Leadership and teaching are good to have. At least the research activity is in progress. You have a lot to do if you plan to apply next summer.

A college honors association doesn't help much as it is clear from your GPA that you were academically successful. It could help you if you used it as a springboard to a leadership position.

So guys what kind of volunteering do can I do, like a nursing home or walking in clinic???

Should I do more undergrad research at oak ridge national lab? Doesnt internship at a doc office count as EC's

So guys what kind of volunteering do can I do, like a nursing home or walking in clinic???

Should I do more undergrad research at oak ridge national lab? Doesnt internship at a doc office count as EC's

volunteer at a hospital, hospice, or free med clinic where you get patient contact 200+hrs over a couple of years....

shadow several different fields of med including FM 100+hrs

Sorry if im really repetitive, but during the job shadowing I did stuff like getting patients samples of medication, taking blood pressure, taking patients to the patient room. Can i call this shadowing/volunteering...

I definitely plan on doing some of the stuff you mention J DUB and Stratego

Sorry if im really repetitive, but during the job shadowing I did stuff like getting patients samples of medication, taking blood pressure, taking patients to the patient room. Can i call this shadowing/volunteering...

I definitely plan on doing some of the stuff you mention J DUB and Stratego
If the internship was done for a class, it is not community service, but it sounds like it was clinical experience combined with shadowing, as you actively helped patients. If it is not community service, then you need a separate activity to show your altruism.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sounds like clinical experience too! I would put it down as both volunteering and shadowing as long as you did not get paid.....

Do the research as long as you can. A year is about the average amount. More is better.

Clinical experience should be acquired over 1.5 to 2 years. Adcomms like to see a prolonged exposure to the fireld of medicine. A year is the minimum. How many months did you do the internship?

Sounds like clinical experience too! I would put it down as both volunteering and shadowing as long as you did not get paid.....
Or get class credit. Or do it as a class requirement. It isn't altruistic if you gained from it in some way.

The Shadowing/clinic experience was not part of a class, I didnt receive any credits for it.

Also, if I improve my ECs, any chance of an out-of-state school? Lastly, someone told me Med schools require 3 science professors/TA recommendations, is it bad to put more. (like if I can get recommendations from doctors in the area or even more professors)

The Shadowing/clinic experience was not part of a class, I didnt receive any credits for it.

Also, if I improve my ECs, any chance of an out-of-state school? Lastly, someone told me Med schools require 3 science professors/TA recommendations, is it bad to put more. (like if I can get recommendations from doctors in the area or even more professors)

Probably at some lower, middle tier schools..

LORs vary depending on schools...mine wanted two science professors and recommended no more than 5 LORs..preferably 4.

Gather all the strong LORs you can. Decide later which ones to use, based on each school's requirements/allowances.

With a 3.7 and a 34, you can certainly aspire to upper mid-selectivity schools. In fact anything below the top 25 is possible for you, especially if you have substantive research experience.

Really appreciate it guys...I'll probably have more questions later...lol

Another thing...lol.

Ive been looking around online...

Is a D.O. school an almost guarantee, as a back-up plan.

Ive been looking around the site, and some people on here have some insane stats like 37+ MCATS with like 3.8-3.9 gpas

Another thing...lol.

Ive been looking around online...

Is a D.O. school an almost guarantee, as a back-up plan.

Ive been looking around the site, and some people on here have some insane stats like 37+ MCATS with like 3.8-3.9 gpas

In short, yes but with those stats and some EC work you should get instate MD.

And the research continues...lol

Does the fact im a minority help...Im Mediterranean?

And the research continues...lol

Does the fact im a minority help...Im Mediterranean?

Well, Mediterranean could mean a lot of different things. ;) But I can't think of any Mediterranean ethnicities that would be considered underrepresented minorities.

I second most of the recommendations made previously. It would be a good idea to take another science class or two and get As in both to raise your sGPA so there will be no reservations about your abilities in the sciences. Definitely work on clinical experience/volunteering too.

I just have a middle eastern name.

Another thing guys, what are some "leadership" things I can do. Also, would volunteering as a tutor for english or poli Sci tutor work. I really dont want to tutor science crap...

Since the MCAT i dont remember anything from organic, bio, etc,etc...lol

Another thing guys, what are some "leadership" things I can do. Also, would volunteering as a tutor for english or poli Sci tutor work. I really dont want to tutor science crap...

Since the MCAT i dont remember anything from organic, bio, etc,etc...lol

Easiest thing is to be an officer in an organization or club. Or lead in some volunteering effort.

Tutor in whatever you like.....

I agree that tutoring anything (even for middle schoolers) "counts" and is an EC you'd list under teaching. If you do it as a volunteer, then it is also community service.

Leadership refers to peer leadership. Cruise through the MDapps (under the avatar) of various SDN members and you'll get lots of ideas for things to do for this. There are none on this thread, but they are not uncommonly seen.

okay cool i see...

I just talked to one of the pre-med advisers, and he said that its worth apply to someone of the top schools, because you never know what can happen. You guys think its worth it?

Another thing...I found that excel thing someone got on here the "school selector." When I typed in my info, the only "long shot" was Washington U. The rest were "hopeful," "go for it," and "high chance."?? Im tempted to apply to those hopeful schools?

With a 3.7 and a 34, you can certainly aspire to upper mid-selectivity schools. In fact anything below the top 25 is possible for you, especially if you have substantive research experience.
OP, re-read this post, which I agree with. The most selective schools tend to want to see a very strong research experience. Other stand-out experience in the community service and leadership realms can also override your stats. The top schools are looking for special people. Be special, and give them a shot.

Another question, other than the one above.

How do medical schools check your volunteer work and stuff, how do i document all the stuff I did. Do I just make a log and have someone sign it who helped we with the volunteering or whatever. Like on the application...Do i need to post references, phone number etc...Or do I just list all the stuff I did.

Another question, other than the one above.

How do medical schools check your volunteer work and stuff, how do i document all the stuff I did. Do I just make a log and have someone sign it who helped we with the volunteering or whatever. Like on the application...Do i need to post references, phone number etc...Or do I just list all the stuff I did.

All AMCAS asks for is place, name and title of the person...not even a number. I was shocked by this...:eek:

I asked my school about it and they said they would ask me about it if they wanted to check or get the number themselves.

It's basically the honor system at my school....but I was too scared :scared: to lie about anything. They get you and game over.....:boom:

I definitely dont plan on trying to cheat at all...Im scared too...lol

I put in the phone numbers or email, anyway.

After more research...this is the list im planning on applying to...Dont be mean...lol...preliminary list, i cant apply till 2011.

1. University of TN Health Center College of Medicine
2. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
3. East TN State Quillen College of Medicine
4. Loyola University of Chicago Stritch College of Medicine
5. Northwestern University Feinberg College of Medicine
6. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
7.Wake Forest University School of Medicine
8. Mount Sinai School of Medicine
9. New York Medical College
10. Emory University School of Medicine
11. University of Virginia School of Medicine

Probably a few more...

Last edited:
Do your senior year grades matter, since people apply before senior year even begins...

Grades earned after you submit have no bearing on the decision to interview or accept you, unless you personally advise the school of new grades in an individual update letter. You do have to submit a final transcript to whichever med school you will attend. As long as you get at least Cs, you're probably fine. The downside to letting things slide is if you end up needing to reapply, and your cGPA is way lower the second time. So, basically, don't let your grades go down too far.

After more research...this is the list im planning on applying to...Dont be mean...lol...preliminary list, i cant apply till 2011.

1. University of TN Health Center College of Medicine
2. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
3. East TN State Quillen College of Medicine
4. Loyola University of Chicago Stritch College of Medicine
5. Northwestern University Feinberg College of Medicine
6. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
7.Wake Forest University School of Medicine
8. Mount Sinai School of Medicine
9. New York Medical College
10. Emory University School of Medicine
11. University of Virginia School of Medicine

Probably a few more...
Some of these schools are research giants. But your list is still flexible if you don't end up with a substantive research experience. Keep checking out more schools. You have lots of time. And SDN is a great place to find out what you want to know about each place.

Thanks again for the input, Ill definitely keep researching schools and try to get research experience.

Since the AMCAS sends out your application to all the schools you want with a one time fee?, hypothetically, I could apply to 20-30 schools, without alot of payment...right?

I believe AMCAS is a one-time fee (for the use of the service). However, each school has a separate secondary fee, ranging anywhere from $50-$100. At least that's what I have gleaned from MDApps so far. :) I'll find out how much damage apps truly cause in ~1 semester. :scared:

Good luck to you! :D

Since the AMCAS sends out your application to all the schools you want with a one time fee?, hypothetically, I could apply to 20-30 schools, without alot of payment...right?
Wrong!

"How much does it cost to use AMCAS? AMCAS charges an application processing fee of $160 for one (1) medical school designation, and $31 for each designation thereafter." So 30 schools=$1059!

Then you pay the Secondary fee on top of that, which is $50 to $100 more per school (I'm sure there's more variation that that in others' experience.)

Wrong!

"How much does it cost to use AMCAS? AMCAS charges an application processing fee of $160 for one (1) medical school designation, and $31 for each designation thereafter." So 30 schools=$1059!

Then you pay the Secondary fee on top of that, which is $50 to $100 more per school (I'm sure there's more variation than that in others' experience.)

Right on!!!

Fleecing of America's premeds.....:laugh:

So I was thinking. Im definitely not going to take anymore science class, im going to suck it up and take a 3.55 Science GPA. But I can finish with a CGPA of 3.86 (Senior year grades not added into this)

Im planning to at least have these as EC

400 hours-Job Shadowing (I will list this as also volunteering, since i did do stuff with patients)
600 hrs Volunteering (400 from above and 200 from hospital)
100 hrs. Tutoring (elementary school/I may add this to volunteering, since i wont accept payment for tutoring)
100 hours (maybe more) Research-Oak Ridge National Laboratory (wont accept payment for this either)

I may do more tutoring and little bit more research if possible....

If I apply to the top 20 schools (im doing this just for self satisfaction..lol), plus 3 instate schools (vandy doesnt count instate...). Will it be possible to get an interview...in the top 20?