MD Sophomore Seeking Application Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arnoldpalmerenjoyer

Reaction score
Relevant info:
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: Have not taken yet
State: West Virginia
Ethnicity: White
Undergrad: Biology Major/Chemistry Minor at Medium Sized Public School
Clinical Experience: 40hrs ambulance training as an EMT, if it counts?
Research Experience: around 350hrs in a neuroscience lab, 4th author publication, 2nd author publication coming soon
Shadowing: 40hrs in neurosurgery department
Nonclinical Volunteer: 50hrs volunteering in COVID vaccine clinic, 150hrs counselor for Crisis Text line (virtual obv)
Extracurricular: Vice President of Small Club, many hobbies
Other: TA for one semester, part time work at grocery story throughout freshman year (around 500hrs)

Tell me: What do you think stands out as a big weakness? I would really like to get into good programs and want to have the best chance possible, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

To state the obvious "weaknesses": you're a sophomore who hasn't taken the MCAT. You have plenty of time to address what is obvious such as getting more clinical and community service experiences. We also don't know your backstory or motivation to become a physician. This is normal for someone in your position.

That said, when you say you are a crisis text line counselor but classify it as "virtual observing", could you provide more details in why you say this?

Reactions: 1 user
To state the obvious "weaknesses": you're a sophomore who hasn't taken the MCAT. You have plenty of time to address what is obvious such as getting more clinical and community service experiences. We also don't know your backstory or motivation to become a physician. This is normal for someone in your position.

That said, when you say you are a crisis text line counselor but classify it as "virtual observing", could you provide more details in why you say this?
Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you say I have plenty of time, sometimes it feels like its all coming too fast.

Sorry for the confusion: by "virtual obv", I just meant "virtual obviously"

Reactions: 1 user
Relevant info:
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: Have not taken yet
State: West Virginia
Ethnicity: White
Undergrad: Biology Major/Chemistry Minor at Medium Sized Public School
Clinical Experience: 40hrs ambulance training as an EMT, if it counts?
Research Experience: around 350hrs in a neuroscience lab, 4th author publication, 2nd author publication coming soon
Shadowing: 40hrs in neurosurgery department
Nonclinical Volunteer: 50hrs volunteering in COVID vaccine clinic, 150hrs counselor for Crisis Text line (virtual obv)
Extracurricular: Vice President of Small Club, many hobbies
Other: TA for one semester, part time work at grocery story throughout freshman year (around 500hrs)

Tell me: What do you think stands out as a big weakness? I would really like to get into good programs and want to have the best chance possible, thanks.
With that GPA, as long as you can keep it up and kill your MCAT (516+), then no schools will be out of reach academically. However, it should be noted that most matriculants to t20 programs have an X-factor (military background, sustained commitment to a particular underserved area, etc.) and a strong theme to their application. I would say try to follow your passions and avoid doing something because you feel like you have to while also being as well-rounded as possible. For example, one of my friends (12 interviews so far, 8 of them at t20 programs) was someone who had their family broken up by cancer so they focused their research, nonclinical service (started an org to improve cancer screening in low-income populations), and clinical (volunteered extensively with cancer patients in hospital and hospice settings, also worked as an in-home aid for a cancer patient during their gap year) on that subject.