"I will be attending _________ and turning down my acceptance to _________" 2017-2018 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Attending: Tufts!
Turned Down: UConn, Touro, VCU acceptances, BU interview invitation
Just curious, why you chose Tufts? UConn discounts people from New England, so that would be the cheapest option and its a good school (not saying Tufts isn't, Tufts is super good!). Tufts is just super expensive. Why'd you choose? Also, Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Just curious, why you chose Tufts? UConn discounts people from New England, so that would be the cheapest option and its a good school (not saying Tufts isn't, Tufts is super good!). Tufts is just super expensive. Why'd you choose? Also, Congrats!!
Thank you! But yes, it was a really tough decision but I'm getting married this summer and my fiance currently has a great job working in Boston. Rather than live in two separate places as newlyweds and have to deal with 1.5 commute without Boston and Hartford traffic, staying local and close to our families in Boston was more worth it to us. UConn has a great program but I did like how Tufts is more clinically focused and since I'm not planning on specializing, the high match rates at UConn weren't a huge selling point to me. I'm gonna hate the extra $140,000 in loans which will suck but at least we can live on my fiance's salary and put all of my future income into paying off loans as soon as I graduate. Not to mention, since high school when I decided to become a dentist, Tufts was always my "dream" school :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Attending: Michigan
Declining: Case Western, MUSC, UCSF

Reactions: 7 users
Attending: Meharry Medical College
Turning down: Loma Linda & West Virginia

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Attending: UAB (Alabama)
Turning down: Maryland, NYU, Kentucky, Tufts, Case, Midwestern Arizona, Nova, (Turned down LECOM and Detroit interview)
Waitlist: UF

Very excited!

Reactions: 6 users
Attending: Buffalo!!!
Declining: UNE
Declining interview: Tufts, Marquette

Last edited:
Attending USC, turning down my acceptance to Western U, Roseman, UNLV, and Touro.

Reactions: 2 users
Attending: UDM
Declining: Nova, Touro
Declining Interview: MWU-IL, Case Western, NYU, VCU

Reactions: 3 users
Attending: Hogwarts
Declining: Harvard, Columbia, UPenn

Reactions: 37 users
Attending: University of Iowa (my significant other recently got accepted here :D and it was my cheapest option #InBigHossITrust)

Declining: University of Pacific, UPenn ($10k/year scholarship), Rutgers, OHSU, Minnesota, & Colorado.

Declining interviews: Buffalo, UNLV, Touro, LECOM.

It was really awesome meeting a lot of you along the interview trail. I wish the best to everyone still waiting, and don't be discouraged if you haven't heard back!

Last edited:
Reactions: 33 users
Attending: University of Iowa (my significant other recently got accepted here :D and it was my cheapest option #InBigHossITrust)

Declining: University of Pacific, UPenn ($10k/year scholarship), Rutgers, OHSU, Minnesota, & Colorado.

Declining interviews: Buffalo, Touro, LECOM.

It was really awesome meeting a lot of you along the interview trail. I wish the best to everyone still waiting, and don't be discouraged if you haven't heard back!
Finally, the moment we've all been waiting for! Congrats on the decision, man! Sad that it's not Penn, but I know you'll kill it at Iowa. I'm glad to see all plans worked out!

Members don't see this ad :)
So yesterday was interesting

Rejected: UNC w interview
Rejected: MUSC w/o interview
Accepted: VCU

Only waiting to hear back from Columbia.

Attending U of M. Turning down acceptance to CWRU and UoP.

You're a wise man... #InBigHossWeTrust

Reactions: 4 users
Attending: Stony Brook
Declining: Buffalo, NYU (waitlisted)
Declining Interview: BU, Touro, Temple

Attending: Columbia
Declined: Penn, Buffalo, CWRU, Tufts, ASDOH, Pitt, UMD, Rutgers
Declined interviews: Touro, LECOM, Stony Brook

Looks like I'm officially done refreshing my email every other minute. Good luck to everyone else still waiting/deciding!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

Any advice on applying to dental schools with a significant other? Me and her will be applying next cycle and really want to get into the same school

Reactions: 1 user
Any advice on applying to dental schools with a significant other? Me and her will be applying next cycle and really want to get into the same school
Yea apply to the same schools

Reactions: 15 users

thats love right there

Attending: Michigan!
Declining: Penn, Nova, Temple, UDM, and Tufts

Attending: Pitt (with scholarship)
Turned down acceptances: Michigan, UPenn (with scholarship), UCSF, case western, Iowa (with scholarship)
Turned down interviews: NYU, Temple
Rejections: A&M, Marquette (rejection after waitlist)
Waitlisted: Creighton (got off of it), HSDM
Never heard anything from: UCLA, Columbia, Boston

Last edited:
Attending: Pitt
Turned down acceptances: Michigan, UPenn, UCSF, case western, Iowa
Rejections: A&M, Marquette
Waiting to hear from HSDM which might change where I wanna go lol

Very impressive list! Congratulations

Attending: Pitt
Turned down acceptances: Michigan, UPenn, UCSF, case western, Iowa
Rejections: A&M, Marquette
Waiting to hear from HSDM which might change where I wanna go lol
From pittsburgh. let me know if you need any information about living/good areas to visit/food in Oakland :)

Reactions: 1 users
Attending: University of Toronto
Turned down acceptance: NYU

Reactions: 8 users
Attending: UFT
Declining: UPenn, UDM ($10k/year scholarship)
Declining Interview: Case Western, NYU

I just wanted to thank everyone on the SDN community for their support during this application cycle. It was a pleasure to meet some of you at the interviews. Congratulations to everyone accepted into a dental program for the Class of 2022! For those still waiting to hear back, I wish you the best of luck! :)

Last edited:
Any opinions Temple or Maryland. I really like them both . I’m OOS for both so the money looks to be about the same.

Update
Attending: UTSD
Turning down acceptances: Columbia, Temple, MWU-AZ, TAMU COD
Declining interviews: MWU- IL, USC, UPenn, UCLA, Tufts, UNLV, NYU
Rejections: UTHSCSA, Western, Maryland

Attending: UCLA
Declining: USC
Declined Interviews at: UoP, UNLV
Rejections: UCSF, Western, & the cute girl at the coffee shop where I studied at for the DAT :writer:

Last edited:
Reactions: 31 users
I will be Attending Buffalo and turning down my acceptance to UNLV.

Reactions: 1 users
attending: Touro
declining: NOVA

Attending: Maryland
Declining: Temple, UVA, Nova,

Attending: Western
Declining: ASDOH and BU
Declined interview: Tufts
Waitlisted: UCSF, MWU-AZ
Rejected: UPenn

Reactions: 4 users
Attending: Stony Brook
Declining: Rutgers, NYU, SUNY Buffalo, UPENN, CWRU (declined interview)

Last edited:
Attending: Western
Declining: ASDOH and BU
Declined interview: Tufts
Waitlisted: UCSF, MWU-AZ
Rejected: UPenn
I also had to decide between Western and ASDOH but picked ASDOH instead. May I know your reasons for picking Western?

Attending: NYU
Accepted: VCU, Nova, Roseman (last cycle)
Declined Interviews: MWU-IL, Colorado
Waitlisted: UNE

Attending: NYU
Accepted: VCU, Nova, Roseman (last cycle)
Declined Interviews: MWU-IL, Colorado
Waitlisted: UNE
Congrats! We’re you accepted to VCU on December 1st?

Reactions: 1 user
I also had to decide between Western and ASDOH but picked ASDOH instead. May I know your reasons for picking Western?
Oh it was definitely a tough choice. I started out applying to dental schools with ASDOH as my top choice, if not, first choice with Western as more of a safety. When it came down to it, location became a main factor since I'm from SoCal (Family, girlfriend, and friends). I plan on commuting in D3/D4 year. Additional slight plus was that western tuition is slightly, just slightly, cheaper.

Attending: Minnesota
Declining: MWU-AZ, ASDOH, Roseman, UNLV, LECOM
Waitlist: USC, Western
Interviews Declined: NYU, Touro, MWU-IL, MOSDOH, Colorado, UNE, Tufts, Rutgers, Boston

Just to show others you can get interviews with a below-average GPA! Good luck to everyone!