"I will be attending _________ and turning down my acceptance to _________" 2017-2018 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Attending: UTSD Houston
Declining: Temple, TAMU, MWU-AZ, Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Attending Touro, (unless Rutgers accepts me) and declined Nova and UMD

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Attending Rutgers (IS).
Turning down ASDOH, Maryland, Tufts, CWRU, Pitt and Buffalo.

Reactions: 2 users
LECOM and Touro are both private and LECOM is actually a little cheaper

Its Nova that I turned down. I know its private, but I have free living at Touro so its cheaper for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Attending UConn! Turning down UPenn and Maryland

Attending: Michigan
Turning down: Tufts
Also declining post-dec interview invites from several schools. Hope that someone deserving gets them!

Attending: Columbia
Turning Down: UCLA, UCSF, Marquette, Michigan, Penn, Harvard, Iowa, UMN, & UConn
Wishing everyone a good 2018 and rest of the cycle!

Reactions: 17 users
Attending: UOP
Declining: UCSF, USC, WesternU, MWU-AZ

That was not an easy decision...

Members don't see this ad :)
What made you choose UoP over UCSF? Asking for a friend.

Oh man...it was a tough one. Probably the most important factor is that I know I want to do general dentistry. UOP is a lot more expensive ($100-150K more) but it's great at preparing general dentists. Students at UOP on average graduate doing a lot more crowns, endo, fillings, extractions, etc then students at UCSF. I went to visit UCSF two weeks ago and I spoke with a clinical instructor there and he said that most students at UCSF dont' get enough clinical experience to go straight into private practice. He told me that he recommends all of his students do a GPR and AEGD. The graduation numbers bear this out. When you look at the graduation statistics, from last year, only about 25% of UCSF students go immediately into private practice, whereas 75% of UOP students go straight into private practice.

Yes...UOP is more expensive but if you compare 3 years to 5 years (UCSF + GPR/AEGD) then it was an easier decision. I'm also going to be 34-35 when I finish dental school so an extra year probably means more to me. If I was 10 years younger and was even considering specializing then I would definitely be going to UCSF.

Last edited:
Oh man...it was a tough one. Probably the most important factor is that I know I want to do general dentistry. UOP is a lot more expensive ($100-150K more) but it's great at preparing general dentists. Students at UOP on average graduate doing a lot more crowns, endo, fillings, extractions, etc then students at UCSF. I went to visit UCSF two weeks ago and I spoke with a clinical instructor there and he said that most students at UCSF dont' get enough clinical experience to go straight into private practice. He told me that he recommends all of his students do a GPR and AEGD. The graduation numbers bear this out. When you look at the graduation statistics, from last year, only about 25% of UCSF students go immediately into private practice, whereas 75% of UOP students go straight into private practice.

Yes...UOP is more expensive but if you compare 3 years to 5 years (UCSF + GPR/AEGD) then it was an easier decision. I'm also going to be 34-35 when I finish dental school so an extra year probably means more to me. If I was 10 years younger and was even considering specializing then I would definitely be going to UCSF.
I know UoP is very strong clinically, but is it that much stronger than other schools like UCSF? I know many students that are accepted to UoP have parents/other relatives that are already in dentistry, so do you think that could be a possible reason why more go straight into private practice than UCSF?

I completely agree that the 1 extra year definitely makes a difference especially if you’re a little older. I’m sure you’ll really enjoy the school and the location :)

Attending: Michigan
Turning down: USC, NYU

Reactions: 5 users
Attending: Stony Brook

Turning down: UConn, UBuffalo, Touro

Attending: UCLA
Turning Down: UoP, USC

Hardest decision ever :unsure:

I will be attending UConn; turning down my acceptance to Tufts and declined interviews to Nova, BU, and Touro

It was a pretty tough decision turning down some great schools, but it makes me happy to know that other awesome pre-dental students will be taking my place at these schools. Good luck to anyone who is still waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I will be attending the University of Maryland Baltimore! I have turned down my acceptances to Temple, Rutgers, Nova Southeastern, Tufts, and LECOM. Declined interviews at UF, Michigan, Howard, and Meharry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Declining UNLV, MOSDOH

Accepting: Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health

Now that the end of December is slowly approaching, I thought it would be appropriate to start this thread! Please post where you will be accepting/declining a seat :)
Where are you headed mate?

Reactions: 1 user

where can I find these stats for other schools?

Attending: Penn
Turning Down: UF, Columbia, Nova

It's always sunny in Philadelphia amirite

Reactions: 14 users
I will be attending UPenn and turning down LECOM, NOVA, NYU, UNC, UMaryland, VCU, and Michigan.

Reactions: 7 users
where can I find these stats for other schools?

Sometimes the schools post them on their websites. You can also try to track down a graduation brochure from the previous year (they usually list what residencies and jobs each of their grads are going into).

I will be attending Rutgers and turned down Touro, UMD and Nova

Reactions: 5 users
Attending: UCSF
Turning Down: UoP, UCLA, Michigan
Declined Interviews: USC, UPenn

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Declining UNLV, MOSDOH

Accepting: Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
Congratulations on your acceptance! :)
I have an interview at ASDOH and I am so excited! I heard there is group interview and MMI. I appreciate if you give me some hints and advise on how your interview was and how should I prepare?

Congratulations on your acceptance! :)
I have an interview at ASDOH and I am so excited! I heard there is group interview and MMI. I appreciate if you give me some hints and advise on how your interview was and how should I prepare?
I am a re applicant and the first time I interviewed I was nervous beyond belief and blew it. The second time I walked in like iowned asdoh. Condifence is key do not rehearse at all . all i did to prepare was list some strength and weaknesses and thought about my future in 10 years. MMi is so awkard but so fun you cant prepare for it you honestly cant really prepare for interviews they are just conversations. Well, mines were

Reactions: 1 users
I am a re applicant and the first time I interviewed I was nervous beyond belief and blew it. The second time I walked in like iowned asdoh. Condifence is key do not rehearse at all . all i did to prepare was list some strength and weaknesses and thought about my future in 10 years. MMi is so awkard but so fun you cant prepare for it you honestly cant really prepare for interviews they are just conversations. Well, mines were
The North remembers

Attending: ECU
Turning Down: Creighton

Thanks!

Attending: UNC
Turning Down: Texas A&M, San Antonio, UCLA, Columbia, UPENN, UCONN, Ohio State, U of Utah, & Maryland

This was a pretty tough decision, but it makes me happy to know that other awesome pre-dental students will be taking my place at these schools. Good luck to anyone who is still waiting to hear back.
You had TIME & $$$$ TO GO TO ALL THESE SCHOOLS? You actually took interview spot from someone else, although you have the option to go.

Accepted NOVA declined: Michigan, Minnesota, Denver

You had TIME & $$$$ TO GO TO ALL THESE SCHOOLS? You actually took interview spot from someone else, although you have the option to go.

Lol relax.They didn’t “take” the interview slot from someone else, they earned it by being a solid candidate

Reactions: 30 users
Attending: Tufts!
Turned Down: UConn, Touro, VCU acceptances, BU interview invitation

Attending: UNLV
Declining: Tufts and MWU-AZ