I need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi20

Reaction score
Can I get in this upcoming cycle?

My GPA is 2.45, incomplete pre-requisites, new graduate, MCAT registered to be taken in March 2023. Volunteering 1000+ hours, shadowing: 50 hours, research 2 semesters, clinical experience: 300 hours, leadership: achieved during college, Clubs: 3+ during college.

My EC's are good, but my GPA is suffering. Do I even stand a chance in the application pool? I will be taking my pre-requisites during the Fall, should I still apply for the upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

That GPA is pretty low. Be honest with yourself. If you can get in, do you think you could stay in and succeed? Podiatry school might not be harder than your hardest undergraduate science classes, but it is more work and they will flunk a few out.

Reactions: 1 user
giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
That GPA is pretty low. Be honest with yourself. If you can get in, do you think you could stay in and succeed? Podiatry school might not be harder than your hardest undergraduate science classes, but it is more work and they will flunk a few out.

Should I not try?

Have you shadowed any podiatrists? In the meantime, my advice is to read podiatric residents & physicians and decide for yourself. These docs are speaking truth.

Reactions: 2 users
Should I not try?
Agree it is your life do what you want.

Numbers are down as far as applicants so who knows, maybe a school will accept you.

In no way am I trying to be mean. I wish I could say once you get in podiatry school everybody will do great. It is not like many other professions such as RN, PA, MD etc where a license means multiple good job offers are coming your way.

You DO NOT want to be a bottom feeder in this profession. 20 percent will always be bottom feeders. Ir does not correlate directly to grades, but there is a correlation. Your GPA suggests you might struggle. You might struggle in school with low grades, not impossible that you would flunk out. You might struggle with boards you need to pass in school. Be more likely to get a poor residency. Which means more trouble finding a good job. Being in the middle of this profession is not necessarily wonderful either. At the top yah it is pretty good, but everyone starting school thinks it will be them at the top.

If you have connections, have exceptional charisma or are a great entrepreneur and open your own office you might be OK if you make it though.

The thing is there are many other options for many students. Could you become a RN? If so, you could always become a NP later. This is 10X better than being a bottom feeder in podiatry I promise you. Not getting in podiatry school could be a blessing.

I advise the top podiatry school applicants to consider trying for DO and improving their MCAT etc first. I t advise the middle of the applicant pool not to necessary avoid podiatry, but really understand the pros cons and least explore other healthcare fields also and if they ultimately choose podiatry over their other options to work harder, and be more humble than everyone else. I warn the bottom of the applicant pool that just getting in is far from making it in this field and the start of what is a long uphill battle for many that extends well past residency and to also consider their other options before choosing podiatry.

Best of luck wether you end up in podiatry or another field.

Reactions: 2 users
We joke that podiatry will take anyone, but I don't know that they'll take a 2.4. Historically I think "anyone" means 2.9+ and essentially any MCAT. I'm sure if you went back through the last 5 years for all the schools you'll find some questionable values in the 2.0s but I don't think values below 2.5 are going to be the norm. There's enough grade inflation at most colleges that podiatry schools can pat themselves on the back for the GPAs while settling horribly on the MCAT. There are no shortage of people who failed out of podiatry school deep in debt because admission to a podiatry school is in no way a declaration of your likely future success.

Reactions: 1 users

My GPA is 2.45, incomplete pre-requisites, new graduate, MCAT registered to be taken in March 2023. Volunteering 1000+ hours, shadowing: 50 hours, research 2 semesters, clinical experience: 300 hours, leadership: achieved during college, Clubs: 3+ during college.

My EC's are good, but my GPA is suffering. Do I even stand a chance in the application pool? I will be taking my pre-requisites during the Fall, should I still apply for the upcoming cycle?
Need to smash the MCAT. That is the only way.

Frankly I doubt anyone really cares about ECs. GPA and MCAT the main predictors of success at any school.

OP is going to ignore all the good advice in here about the risks of podiatry and just focus on the “can I get in” part. Hilarious

7f0bu9.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Have seen enough students with low GPA who eventually failed out DPM program with 150k+ student loan debts.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s 2.45, I didn’t realize it was mistake until I started getting positive feedback
Typically you would not get in, but applicants are down so it is not impossible you get in.

Take an honest look if you want to get in.

Your numbers suggest you will struggle and
could even fail out.

The best training and the the best jobs are very competitive in this profession. The job market is poor. This profession is great at the top, horrible at the bottom and leaves something to be desired in the middle.

If you were my child, with those numbers, I would say go for your RN, then after about 3 years of working try for NP. Do not be so set on being a Dr./Surgeon that you overlook other professions that might be a better fit and will pay you very well with the ability to advance your degree like the RN.

Your GPA is too low to make it from semesters 1 to 2 (if you can even get in). I suggest another career or taking more sci classes and heavy MCAT prep.

There is also a WAMC thread here: What Are My Chances: WAMC Podiatry

Feel free to make a post after you make any changes to your app. Good luck!

Closing!

Status
Not open for further replies.