I need some help, your opinions are appreciated!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CathyYaYa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, :hello:

Im new here, and this is actually my very first post.. I've been reading a lot of your threads in the forum! A lot of the information you guys put here is really helpful, so thanks to all of you who take your time to share your opinions!

I just recently submitted my application, I know it may be a little late now but anyways.. I guess because I've submitted my app, im getting more and more nervous as each day goes by..! :scared: I'd love to get some opinions from those of you who've got accepted, already in pod school, or applying with similar numbers as mine and have heard back from school! your opinions are deeply appreciated!

so i guess after AACPMAS calculated my gpa, it turns out to be this:
I was a Bio major..
sGPA: 2.72
non-science GPA: 3.06
overall: 2.82
graduate (Biochem & Molecular Biology major): 3.31
(math GPA: 3.52, physics GPA:3.67, inorganic Chem GPA: 3.72, putting these numbers out here dunno if it will matter to the schools :( )
MCAT: 28

so i have really low GPA but a high MCAT... do i still have a chance? or should i be preparing for rejection letters now :(

is there any of you out there that have similar numbers as mine or heard people with similar numbers that have got interviews or got accepted to schools?

im soooooo nervous!!!!! :uhno: please help!! :help:

thank you thank you!

Cathy

Members don't see this ad.

What were the classes that brought your GPA so far down?

What was your overall trend?

I'm having a hard time figuring out your stats with chem/bio/physics grades like that and such a low sGPA...

Hi Cathy,

I actually have very similar stats as yours. I had a low undergrad GPA but I increased my GPA in grad school. I think if you show an increasing trend in GPA and with the harder science courses you can definitely be considered. The high MCAT is really good! I am assuming you have volunteer/extracurricular actives and have shadowed a podiatrist? If you have not shadowed a podiatrist you should asap as you need a letter from them!

I had similar stats and applied to 7 of the 9 schools and have received an interview from 6 so far. I had my interview at OCPM this past Friday. One thing they mentioned is that they really look at Organic Chemistry. They normally see a B in O chem 1 and a C in O chem 2, she said that was pretty typical.

Don't be discouraged, I am sure you will start getting interview invites any day! Good luck! I think NY and Ohio got back to me first, so check your email!

Hi guys, :hello:

Im new here, and this is actually my very first post.. I've been reading a lot of your threads in the forum! A lot of the information you guys put here is really helpful, so thanks to all of you who take your time to share your opinions!

I just recently submitted my application, I know it may be a little late now but anyways.. I guess because I've submitted my app, im getting more and more nervous as each day goes by..! :scared: I'd love to get some opinions from those of you who've got accepted, already in pod school, or applying with similar numbers as mine and have heard back from school! your opinions are deeply appreciated!

so i guess after AACPMAS calculated my gpa, it turns out to be this:
I was a Bio major..
sGPA: 2.72
non-science GPA: 3.06
overall: 2.82
graduate (Biochem & Molecular Biology major): 3.31
(math GPA: 3.52, physics GPA:3.67, inorganic Chem GPA: 3.72, putting these numbers out here dunno if it will matter to the schools :( )
MCAT: 28

so i have really low GPA but a high MCAT... do i still have a chance? or should i be preparing for rejection letters now :(

is there any of you out there that have similar numbers as mine or heard people with similar numbers that have got interviews or got accepted to schools?

im soooooo nervous!!!!! :uhno: please help!! :help:

thank you thank you!

Cathy

Members don't see this ad :)
What were the classes that brought your GPA so far down?

What was your overall trend?

I'm having a hard time figuring out your stats with chem/bio/physics grades like that and such a low sGPA...

It was biochemistry actually.. and a few biology courses. I had a really hard time in my junior year, that was the year that brought my grades down (a lot), but i had an upward trend in my senior year and also in grad school. One of the reason I went back to school for the masters degree majoring in biochemistry is because of my low grades in biochem. I wanted to bring my GPA up and to also show that I can do well ( or at least not that bad :p ) in biochem.

Thanks! :)
Cathy

With your MCAT score I'm sure you'll be accepted somewhere.

Good idea to work on the biochem, that was about the only class I took in undergrad that had anything to do with what I'm doing now, despite the required pre-reqs and MCAT.

First few weeks for me were extremely biochem-heavy, so that will give you a leg up.

Hi Cathy,

I actually have very similar stats as yours. I had a low undergrad GPA but I increased my GPA in grad school. I think if you show an increasing trend in GPA and with the harder science courses you can definitely be considered. The high MCAT is really good! I am assuming you have volunteer/extracurricular actives and have shadowed a podiatrist? If you have not shadowed a podiatrist you should asap as you need a letter from them!

I had similar stats and applied to 7 of the 9 schools and have received an interview from 6 so far. I had my interview at OCPM this past Friday. One thing they mentioned is that they really look at Organic Chemistry. They normally see a B in O chem 1 and a C in O chem 2, she said that was pretty typical.

Don't be discouraged, I am sure you will start getting interview invites any day! Good luck! I think NY and Ohio got back to me first, so check your email!

Hi DeterminedGirl,

Thanks for the encouragement! makes me feel a bit more calm.. lol Im really hoping this is gonna turn out good..

And yes, I have lots of hours in extracurricular activities and hospital volunteering, I also shadowed a podiatrist, and he wrote a letter for me. I'm just hoping my MCAT and my extracurricular activities/volunteering experiences will help me boost my chances!! this is nerve-wrecking..! :eek: But it's good to hear someone out there with similar stats is getting interviews, and I hope you get in! Good luck to you too :)

Cathy

Thanks bobdolerson and ankle breaker! its really great to hear feedbacks from pod students :) I sure hope the schools will think like the way you guys think!

You may have a chance at acceptance, especially because your MCAT is well above the minimum. What you want to be concerned with is making sure you stay in, pass boards, graduate and get a residency. If your low grades were due to the usual college experience then you will likely be fine. However, if you were putting in a lot of effort and got those grades you may have some trouble. The courses in pod school are no joke and they require a lot of time and hard work. Your GPA might put you in more of an at risk zone for getting through school. Make sure you know what you're getting in to and be prepared to go at it 100% when you start. Best of luck.

I think the OP should be confident enough in her ability to handle the courseload if she was able to earn a 3.3 in grad school. That gpa would easily put her in the top 50% of her class in podiatry school.

I am familiar with the courseload of a biochem/molecular graduate degree. While the courses tend to be tough, the courseload is no where near comparable to podiatry school. Looking at the stats she provided and the undergrad GPA she ended up with she is clearly lacking in some subjects. Of course I think she has the opportunity to do well, I just felt it necessary to offer my words of advice.

Thanks guys for your comments, and AZ25 I understand what your concern is, and thanks for your advice. But I believe I can do well in pod school, Im not too worried about the courseload and my ability to go through it.. I know how tough medical schools are, and I understand how much time and hard work you have to put into it, I'd seen my brother studied during his medical school years, and I know Im prepared for it. :) to be honest, Im just excited thinking about the possibility of becoming a podiatrist, but at this moment I'm very very nervous!

Well what about having a 3.2 and a lot of experience and volunteering in health care, I havent taken the MCAT yet but i go to a large University known for medicine and research. Any thoughts on what more i need to do?

You should take the MCAT, take the pre-reqs, get three letters of recommendation (1 from a science prof, 1 from another prof, and one from a podiatrist you've shadowed), and apply.

cathy,
i had a similar situation to yours. I had a really low undergrad GPA with a 1 year post bac with a similar GPA to your graduate work. I think you have a great chance of getting into most of the podiatry schools. Make sure you have shadowed a podiatrist and get a letter of rec from them. Good luck!